Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

quote:

Brockmire follows Jim Brockmire, "a famed Major League Baseball announcer who suffers an embarrassing and very public meltdown on the air after discovering his beloved wife's serial infidelity. A decade later, he decides to reclaim his career and love life in a small town, calling minor league ball for the Morristown Frackers."

Hank Azaria took what was essentially a single joke (baseball announcers can get away with saying anything, as long as it's immediately followed by the pitch count) in a Funny or Die series of skits, and fleshed it out into an amazing four-season journey of rock-bottom depravity, then sobriety, then near future dystopia. Besides being incredibly loving quotable, it's incredibly well-written, at times genuinely touching, and gave me a new respect for Amanda Peet, who I had kind of written off as a one-tool actress. Calling her character Jules his on/off love interest is an incredible disservice to a fantastic character.

The show essentially starts from the premise "what happens after the worst day of your life goes viral" and goes bananas.

If you haven't watched Brockmire, watch loving Brockmire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

One thing the show comes dangerously close to is humanizing Joe Buck. Set up as his lifelong frenemy, Buck willingly plays himself as a pompous rear end, but one that weirdly wants to help at times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzTIs0i-Vt8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv3uAOXF9a0

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I watched the first season and found it amusing enough but I fell off because there's too much TV.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Is it cancelled? I was hoping for one because it is always good when Tawny Newsome gets some work.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

PotatoJudge posted:

Is it cancelled? I was hoping for one because it is always good when Tawny Newsome gets some work.

Not so much cancelled as concluded. Season 4 was the last one (1-3 are on Hulu, if you wanna watch 4 you can for free but you have to go to IFC's own website), and it fast forwards 20 years, kinda like the last season of Parks & Rec. Except their technocratic dystopian future is much, much worse.

Well worth a watch though. The interesting thing is that the writers never take an easy out and say "yeah we like Drunkmire too, let's just go back to that".

I can't really give many details without spoiling it. Suffice it to say Jim gets his ultimate dream job. And it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Eh this one from season 4 is a nice self-contained (if not completely original) gag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7_GkaTV8Cg