Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Rewatching the first season, and I gotta say I feel Suburu is defined more by envy than by his pride. His inferiority complex and jealousy is what twists his relationship with Emilia, and taints his initial interactions with much of the cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Starsnostars posted:

Crusch backing the alliance with Emilia despite losing her memory and risking future danger to herself was such a good moment especially as it reminded Felix of how strong she is and why Felix cares for her and is backing her in in the first place.

In my rewatch of the series via the directors cut earlier in the year Crusch and Felix were the two characters who I ending up liking a lot more compared to when I first watched so I'm glad they got more spotlight in this episode.

I love how selfish felix gets trying to protect crusch! it's so sweet......................

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Yak of Wrath posted:

Rewatching the first season, and I gotta say I feel Suburu is defined more by envy than by his pride. His inferiority complex and jealousy is what twists his relationship with Emilia, and taints his initial interactions with much of the cast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsiM_y2k7oU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Julias posted:

This Grouchio. People who have patiently waited years for the season want to be able to respond in this thread without getting spoiled on things, and you have had a really bad track record of not being able to control yourself when it comes to accidentally spoiling things for others, whether they be unmarked spoilers or not properly indicating what you are putting behind spoiler bars.

Infact I'm going to suggest that you don't post spoilers at all in this thread, unless there is a specific difference between the anime and the light novel/web novel, in which case you should mark in spoilers that you are talking about wn/ln differences. Thanks.
Understood.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Thank you for understanding Grouchio. Now hopefully everyone can have a good time gushing about the show :)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
That Subaru even has a connection to pride is something that i didn't have any real reason to suspect and is why I won't read this thread and more.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

That Subaru even has a connection to pride is something that i didn't have any real reason to suspect and is why I won't read this thread and more.

Another epic troll by Nat 20.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Natural 20 posted:

Well Betelguese brought it up.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Jfc I just noticed the thread title...

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

And who made that? :colbert:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
This was back in episode 22.

As far as I recall, this is about the only explicit context for Subaru and Pride thus far.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
There's at least one other very heavy-handed hint, and while a sharp-eyed viewer could have caught this on their own I'm going to err on the side of caution since I didn't see it until it was pointed out to me.

All the archbishops are named after stars / constellations.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Six? I thought it was seven deadly sins.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Sankara posted:

Six? I thought it was seven deadly sins.
At a guess here, the Cult doesn't presume to formally have an Archbishop of Envy because of Satella.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's at least one other very heavy-handed hint, and while a sharp-eyed viewer could have caught this on their own I'm going to err on the side of caution since I didn't see it until it was pointed out to me.

All the archbishops are named after stars / constellations.

I didn't notice that despite being really obvious in hindsight, so thanks for pointing it out! I was already convinced either way but that makes it even more clear that Subaru is, if unwillingly so, Pride.

Hogama posted:

At a guess here, the Cult doesn't presume to formally have an Archbishop of Envy because of Satella.

I thought the same. It's completely logical, Satella doesn't need someone below her taking her role, so Envy stands over the rest as her own title.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Envy is us, the audience

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The lil' witch inside all of us.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

M_Gargantua posted:

Envy is us, the audience

Subaru is like the one isekai protagonist I'd never want to be though. I like living, and I do not like dying, and he does that second one a lot.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
it's okay to have little a death, as a treat

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zetsubou-san posted:

it's okay to have little a death, as a treat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTr7bqKHvgE

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My Arc 4 theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsPu1lClN0E

Down the road that takes me to the Headley Grange
I see a figure of young man
He's torn with doubts, mistakes, his selfishness and rage
But doing all the best he can

I am not so blind to see
That this young man is me

(15:00)

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Mindblast posted:

And who made that? :colbert:

I will state that I have only ever seen the anime and know absolutely nothing important in terms of spoilers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I read a bit of Arc 4's start in advance and I must say in order to keep up the pacing they kind of undersold Regulus. Lye as well slightly. Edit These are not true spoilers just dialog from the web novel that shows the Sin Arch bishops talking a bit more. Namely the scene where he cut off Cruschs arm.

quote:

[Man: ……attacking someone while they’re talking, just where are your manners?]

Head tilted, as if flaunting how his body took no damage, the man just stood there.
His existence was utterly unaffected by a slash that could rend even the White Whale’s armor. The man’s body―― no, even his clothes were unscathed.

He did not defend the attack. Rather, it was something wholly different and unknown.

Crusch could not help but hold her breath, and Rem froze in place, after witnessing something so far outside the realm of understanding. In front of them, the man sighed for the first time.

[Man: You know…] he went on with a tone lowered by displeasure,

[Man: I was talking. Wasn’t I talking just now? And then you interrupted me. Isn’t that a bit impolite? Don’t you think that was wrong? I have the right to speak… even though I don’t really want to have to point this out, but to not interrupt people when they’re speaking… isn’t that just common social decency? You’re free to listen or not listen I won’t bother you about that, but just what are you trying to do by not letting me talk?]

As he ranted, the man occasionally stomped the ground with a displeased expression on his face. And just like this, he pointed his finger at the two in front of him, both now eerily speechless.

[Man: And now you’re quiet, what is this? You’re listening. You were listening, right? Wasn’t I asking you something? Then give me some kind of reply, it should be like that, right? You won’t even do that, don’t even want to. Ah, ah, freedom. That’s your freedom. You see me ranting and you want to kill me, then when I ask you a question, you ignore me like I’m the wind. So it’s like that, is it? Well you’re free to do that. Alright, let’s just say it’s like that. But then, what is that supposed to mean?]

Seeing the two standing silently in front of him bracing for an attack, he tilted his head and stared at them with his sharp eyes, and then, with a smothered voice,

[Man: You’re disregarding my Right to speak――one of my only few possessions, right?]

Just as a chill ran up Rem’s back, the man took a step forward. His drooping arm lifted, sweeping up a small gust of wind.

Then, on the same line as the motion of his arm―― the earth, the air, and the world parted in two.

Round and round and round, Crusch’s severed left shoulder flew into the air.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 13, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Why are you posting huge page long spoiler blocks? Can we stop with the spoilers in the thread? Otherwise I feel like I should just stop reading it.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Why are you posting huge page long spoiler blocks? Can we stop with the spoilers in the thread? Otherwise I feel like I should just stop reading it.

While I agree with the general sentiment, in this case the "spoilers" are just dialogue from I'm assuming the Web Novel for the scene we just got in the anime to compare how the the new archbishops are potrayed.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I think they were just posting parts of the Light novel/Web novel that were covered but different from the anime, but if that's not the case could someone who is following along let us know? Because yeah we don't need huge blocks of spoilers for future events or hints at characters and their personalities.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

madmac posted:

While I agree with the general sentiment, in this case the "spoilers" are just dialogue from I'm assuming the Web Novel for the scene we just got in the anime to compare how the the new archbishops are potrayed.

A: I have no way of knowing whether what is under the spoilers is truly spoilery or not without removing the block. I'm not going to do that one episode into this new season.

B: Who are spoiler discussions for in this thread? Are we just going to have page long discussions that are blacked out spoiler text?

if you want to have a discussion about things that haven't come up yet in the anime can you just make a light novel thread and discuss in there?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Personally, I am here to deliver and read reactions and speculations based on the most recently aired season 2 episode.

Nitrousoxide posted:

B: Who are spoiler discussions for in this thread? Are we just going to have page long discussions that are blacked out spoiler text?

if you want to have a discussion about things that haven't come up yet in the anime can you just make a light novel thread and discuss in there?

This is probably for the best! I don't think it's wrong to discuss things you like, but there are a bunch of people who literally just want to watch the show as it comes out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nitrousoxide posted:

It is just dialog from the Web Novel on stuff already covered namely Regulus and Lye showing up.

Julias posted:

I think they were just posting parts of the Light novel/Web novel that were covered but different from the anime, but if that's not the case could someone who is following along let us know? Because yeah we don't need huge blocks of spoilers for future events or hints at characters and their personalities.

It is just some stuff already covered. But just expanded on. Namely just Regulus and Lye talking a bit more. You requested that comparions between the Web Novel and Anime be put in spoilers.

Nitrousoxide posted:

A: I have no way of knowing whether what is under the spoilers is truly spoilery or not without removing the block. I'm not going to do that one episode into this new season.

That is my fault sorry, I should have originally posted saying it is not a spoiler just some extra dialog that was in the novel. Everything in it has already come up and it does hint at future events beyond the anime other then giving a little bit of an extra glimpse at the personality of Regulus

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 13, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, if it's just stuff that's already happened, you can sorta discuss it like Julias previously recommended.

But also, you don't have to quote huge chunks of text. Just like "Oh, Regulus said this and elaborated on this a bit more on the OG web novel/light novel".

I mean hell, I've been looking forward to this adaptation almost as much as y'all, and last thing I want to worry about are spoilers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wark Say posted:

Yeah, if it's just stuff that's already happened, you can sorta discuss it like Julias previously recommended.

But also, you don't have to quote huge chunks of text. Just like "Oh, Regulus said this and elaborated on this a bit more on the OG web novel/light novel".

I mean hell, I've been looking forward to this adaptation almost as much as y'all, and last thing I want to worry about are spoilers.

Removed most of it, its just the scene where he removed Cruschs arm now.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Thanks MonsterEnvy. I didn't think you were trying to spoil anyone, but I can understand why a dossier of spoiler bars could scare people off or make them nervous about the conversation sliding into spoiler chat.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Danke.

Like this is the one mainstream show I was looking forward to seeing, not reading and I'm glad that, even through almost 4 years of wait, I never got spoiled beyond the "Who's Rem?" thing. I think if session 3 takes a while to be announced, I'm just going to go and read it from there on, but yeah, I'd rather see Arc 4 animated before making the jump to the Light Novels or even the Web Novels.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Going back to the whole pride thing, wasn't there a scene towards the end of the 1st season where Subaru bonded with an animal almost instantly who was described as the epitome of the pride or something like that?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hunt11 posted:

Going back to the whole pride thing, wasn't there a scene towards the end of the 1st season where Subaru bonded with an animal almost instantly who was described as the epitome of the pride or something like that?

Patrasche, his ground dragon; yes.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 16, 2020

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This lady seems nice.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sindai posted:

This lady seems nice.

Which one. Fredrica, or the Witch.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I didn't think we'd get to the witch so fast. Nice Opening though.

Not a spoiler in any way, but even though I have read the WN version of the arc, as I'm sure a lot of people did, from what I understand the Light Novels (which the anime is based on) made some pretty large changes to this arc in particular, to cut down the sheer length of it if nothing else. I never got around to reading the LN version, so a lot of things are going to be surprising to me as well. The whole thing with the stone wasn't in the WN version, for example, though I remember it being mentioned when the LNs first got around to this arc.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

MonsterEnvy posted:

Which one. Fredrica, or the Witch.
The Witch of course, she set up a nice tea party for him and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Beatrice made some pretty questionably comments about Mr. Sloth.