Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

And sometimes they do it because slipcovers are useless marketing material that has no reason to exist.

I find that having a slip cover on a case preserves the plastic underneath and prevents it from getting that annoying bubbling effect you get from the cases being pressed against each other on a shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Slip covers are the lingerie of blurays

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MacheteZombie posted:

Slip covers are the lingerie of blurays

They make men horny and women find them inconvenient?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Alec Eiffel posted:

They make men horny and women find them inconvenient?

:hmmyes:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
What's the best 4K player I can get for a TV that has HDR10, no Dolbyvision?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
WTF, just looked up prices cause I was wondering why not DolbyVision and drat. I paid $149 for a model that’s currently $249. And that was last February. I’m sure part of it is supply due to manufacturing chains, but what the gently caress. Like, why would anyone adopt the standard at those prices? Insane.

Also, my B&N order looks to already be shipping in the next day.

Also, a big LOL. 30 Rock’s Blu-Ray set sold out big time after the announcement about its streaming episodes. I myself bought a copy and used a coupon from BBY so I got a good price. But apparently resellers were getting $100+ on the set... it’s back in stock this week and cheaper than when I used my coupon. Just laughing at the poor saps who paid waaaaay too much.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

:aaa:

(don't even try loading up the Scream Factory site right now)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

caligulamprey posted:

:aaa:

(don't even try loading up the Scream Factory site right now)

Those magnificent bastards kept the original box art for the actual cases and I love them for it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Weird that parts 1-4 are getting new 4K scans from the negatives, JGTH gets a new 2K scan, but the rest are apparently the same transfers as the previous release.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Origami Dali posted:

Weird that parts 1-4 are getting new 4K scans from the negatives, JGTH gets a new 2K scan, but the rest are apparently the same transfers as the previous release.

Agreed. Little miffed that 5-8 aren't getting new scans? 5 & 6 especially could use it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

that's real cool and all, but 6 not getting a new scan and the rest being the stuff from the other set. meh. dont need it that bad. maybe if we see some 4K editions in the future I'd pick up my favorites selectively.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dorium posted:

that's real cool and all, but 6 not getting a new scan and the rest being the stuff from the other set. meh. dont need it that bad. maybe if we see some 4K editions in the future I'd pick up my favorites selectively.

As a few people have pointed out, they could announce the other films getting new transfers, cuz they still have "More Info To Come On Features" on every page this is being listed on.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I must have gotten my order for it through right before the site crashed.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I apparently got my order through the crash. I got emails from Paypal and Shout, and it says order taken in the orders section of my account.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Franchescanado posted:

As a few people have pointed out, they could announce the other films getting new transfers, cuz they still have "More Info To Come On Features" on every page this is being listed on.

Yea fair. its a tough trigger to pull at that price hoping my favorites would maybe get the quality treatment. it'll probably be sold out before I make up my mind. Ce'st LaVie

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dorium posted:

Yea fair. its a tough trigger to pull at that price hoping my favorites would maybe get the quality treatment. it'll probably be sold out before I make up my mind. Ce'st LaVie

I think it's going to be a normal production thing. Limited editions are just the posters and stuff.

At least, I hope so, cuz I'm not preordering until after the Criterion sale ends.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I think it's going to be a normal production thing. Limited editions are just the posters and stuff.

At least, I hope so, cuz I'm not preordering until after the Criterion sale ends.

The set is limited to 13,000, so about the same as the run for Rad. The posters and stuff is limited to 1313.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

VoodooXT posted:

The set is limited to 13,000, so about the same as the run for Rad.

OH poo poo.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
So stupid

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Well I wanted to wait until August, but I refuse to miss out on this, so I pre-ordered it like a loving capitalist tool.

You're welcome, Jason.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

drat. yea i shouldn't. i still have that Agnes Varda collection on pre-order. I'd like to have that a bit more, especially since i recently got that 8 disc F13 set for like $15.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

You can’t overspend on blu-rays when the only thing you ever buy is every release of the Friday the 13th series.

Guypointingtohishead.jpg

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Preordered the set. $160 is kind of pricey, so no Criterian sale purchases this month. I'll wait until the next one for the Bruce Lee set. There are about 10 series that I will buy, no matter what. Friday the 13th is one of them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Agh. I don't need all that extra stuff but the original poster covers is so tempting.

Is this going to be one of those "passed on it at $150, now I want it and it's $300" things??

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Is this going to be one of those "passed on it at $150, now I want it and it's $300" things??

Probably worse. The Halloween limited box was $80 when I bought it and it now goes for $500+, so expect that set to go for at least $500 when stock runs out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Ugh, I think I'm gonna pass on the set because I just recently bought that Columbia Classics set and then this weekend the Bruce Lee Criterion set. lovely timing but I just don't think I can justify another $100+ blu ray purchase right now.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Ugh, I think I'm gonna pass on the set because I just recently bought that Columbia Classics set and then this weekend the Bruce Lee Criterion set. lovely timing but I just don't think I can justify another $100+ blu ray purchase right now.

It does suck that all these sales are hitting at the exact same time.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Agh. I don't need all that extra stuff but the original poster covers is so tempting.

Deepdiscountdvd has it for 118 if u want it at a discount. No posters though

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Origami Dali posted:

Slipcovers are probably supposed to be theft deterrents. Way harder to slip a disc out of its packaging if you have to take it out of a box first, and that's usually enough to get someone's attention in a small store.

And now they're priceless collectibles!

Boywhiz88 posted:

WTF, just looked up prices cause I was wondering why not DolbyVision and drat. I paid $149 for a model that’s currently $249. And that was last February. I’m sure part of it is supply due to manufacturing chains, but what the gently caress. Like, why would anyone adopt the standard at those prices? Insane.

Also, my B&N order looks to already be shipping in the next day.

Also, a big LOL. 30 Rock’s Blu-Ray set sold out big time after the announcement about its streaming episodes. I myself bought a copy and used a coupon from BBY so I got a good price. But apparently resellers were getting $100+ on the set... it’s back in stock this week and cheaper than when I used my coupon. Just laughing at the poor saps who paid waaaaay too much.

About a year ago when it was announced that the Michael Jackson episode of the Simpsons was going to be taken out of syndication people were paying as much as 70+ dollars for that season's DVD set. Then like a couple weeks later nobody gave a poo poo again and you can get that for like five bucks. I meant to sell mine and forgot because that season sucks anyway.

Franchescanado posted:

Limited edition posters are slipcovers for your wall.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

Limited edition posters are slipcovers for your wall.

It may be the only thing of this nature I frame and put up. :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Whole buncha sad utilitarian “beep boop all my walls and shelves must be uniform and identical” jabronis in here.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Slipcovers are the one DVD/blu-ray collectable thing I don't understand at all. They're apparently a big enough deal though that everybody on blu-ray.com gets mad whenever their copy doesn't come with a slip, but it's such a :shrug: thing. I'm only gonna have the spines out on my shelf so it doesn't matter, and if it's a Shout Factory release I just end up flipping the cover to the poster instead of the redone artwork anyway.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Whole buncha sad utilitarian “beep boop all my walls and shelves must be uniform and identical” jabronis in here.

Oh I don't give a poo poo about that at all. I just chuckle at paying high premiums to get some cheap tschotskes. My bedroom looks like a comic book store smashed into a hipster flea market and then they both exploded. Nothing about my life is utilitarian and uniform.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I like slipcovers when I get them, but its not horrible when I dont get them (excluding that time all my mission impossible 4k's came with slipcovers except for one and I had to rectify... the mistake).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Almost Blue posted:

Slipcovers are the one DVD/blu-ray collectable thing I don't understand at all. They're apparently a big enough deal though that everybody on blu-ray.com gets mad whenever their copy doesn't come with a slip, but it's such a :shrug: thing. I'm only gonna have the spines out on my shelf so it doesn't matter, and if it's a Shout Factory release I just end up flipping the cover to the poster instead of the redone artwork anyway.

It's an interesting novelty when it has a lenticular image or something, but I think the same as you. It's just going to get shoved into a row of other movies and never seen again. But at least wanting that makes sense. What I don't get is when people freak the gently caress out about slipcovers that are identical to the box are under it.

I feel like this thread just comes back to slipcovers every couple of weeks.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I paint a lot, so my walls are full of paintings I've yet to sell and paintings I've bought from other artists. I don't have a single movie poster hanging up.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

I paint a lot, so my walls are full of paintings I've yet to sell and paintings I've bought from other artists. I don't have a single movie poster hanging up.

Do an Andy Warhol thing but the subject of all the art is blu-ray slipcovers and this whole thing will come full circle.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
I thought the lenticular box that Jaws 4K came in was cool. Am I the only one who doesn’t hate a cardboard cover, as long as it’s cool?

Edit- n/m, I’m nailing Jaws to the wall and burning it. 😂

Edit2- franches- PM me if you wanna sell some cool artwork

Wake_N_Bake fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 14, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wake_N_Bake posted:

I thought the lenticular box that Jaws 4K came in was cool. Am I the only one who doesn’t hate a cardboard cover, as long as it’s cool?

In an ideal world I'd be able to have a jukebox-style setup where I never had to see a case.

says the idiot with decorative VHS and Laserdiscs sitting around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Edit- n/m, I’m nailing Jaws to the wall and burning it. 😂

Edit2- franches- PM me if you wanna sell some cool artwork

I don't have slipcovers I just don't really care about them and don't get all bent out of shape if it's missing or has a 1/20 of an inch crease in the corner like those nutcases on blu-ray.com