Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
New Chappelle was great, gonna recommend it to everyone I know. He's a really smart dude.

Along the same-ish lines but with more comedy than raw reality, Netflix also recently released Michael Che's excellent "Matters." It was filmed in the summer of 2016, but the BLM/race topics he discusses are obviously as relevant as ever.

Also, Hannah Gadsby's new Netflix special, "Douglas", is very very good. I know that "I laughed so hard it hurt" is kind of a cliché thing to say, but there was one section when Wifezwang and I were both laughing so hard, it actually hurt. The rest was quite funny too. She's one of the more masterful comedians I've seen at keeping the audience where she wants them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Allegedly Chris D'Elia groomed underage girls

https://meaww.com/chris-delia-accused-sexual-misconduct-groom-pedophile-16-year-old-girls-twitter-netflix-you

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
color me un-loving-surprised

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Whitney Cummings always has great taste in men I guess.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Pauly Shore 2.0 malfunctioned?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1273453014603436034

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
drat he went all Chud.

Also there's rumor going around that Jeff Ross is a pedo and rapist.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I feel like that's equally as surprising as D'Elia.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Nick DiPaolo was trash 20 years ago when I was watching the old Comedy Central Presents episodes an he's trash now. Least surprising thing ever to see that this is how he spends his time these days.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ches Neckbeard posted:

drat he went all Chud.

https://twitter.com/TitusNation/status/1274581133213044736

https://twitter.com/TitusNation/status/1274579621065838593

lol that woman who punched him in the face after a show last year was right

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 21, 2020

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah I knew DiPaolo was one of these "politically incorrect" and "edgy" comics. I knew him mostly from some talk show oriented comedian show that I forget the name of. It had Patrice O'Neal and Greg Giraldo on it...*google*...It was "Tough Crowd" which I thought was pretty good.

On that show, my only real exposure to him, DiPaolo came of as the contrarian angry conservative dad type that I occasionally found funny in that context but I never thought he was deep rooted and loving serious. Counting down to him crying about how he's being silenced, censored and black balled by liberal hollywood and can't say certain offensive words in his act anymore.

If the rumors about Jeff Ross are true than that sucks too because I like his stuff and he seems like a decent enough guy.

Thing is...

I'm not easily offended by edgy stuff in a stand up act. More often than not, I kind of enjoy it, but get why others don't.The world and society evolves and comedy has to evolve with it. It's one of the reasons I appreciate the art form since, more often than not, it's a mirror and a sort of time capsule that reflects modern attitudes during the time. Perhaps more than any other genre (music, film, TV), at least relative to direct and proportionate social impact. You can see a lot of correlation between what comedians were popular at any given time and what society was like then.

Sam Kinison, Dice, Eddie Murphy, Carlin and Pryor are still funny to me to varying degrees, despite a lot of cringe, and I'm rarely inclined to conclude that a comic is a horrible person based solely and entirely on their act. See: Dave Chapelle and his transgender stuff. It's complicated and a tough line to walk.

Eddie Murphy and Kinison's gay "jokes" are just BAD but I still find them both to be funny and talented. Eddie's stuff on race and Sam's riffs on religion hold up fine. I don't think Clay is without talent. Times change and what's "funny" changes with it. Some of it doesn't age well. Jim Jeffries is my favorite comedian and he's done material on on rape for crying out loud but then he addresses context during the same bit.

But when these people are revealed to be sex creeps, racists or actual rapists, there's nothing funny about any of it.

Sorry...just ranting about stand up comedy.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

I always wondered why he never showed up on the comedy podcast circuit. Not saying he's the arbiter of truth but yeah illuminating

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I always wondered why he never showed up on the comedy podcast circuit. Not saying he's the arbiter of truth but yeah illuminating

What do we think he's asserting here? Not saying he's lying about anything but unsure who his targets are. Ross and...?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

https://twitter.com/TitusNation/status/1274583916951662592?s=19

Well at least there's this

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

What do we think he's asserting here? Not saying he's lying about anything but unsure who his targets are. Ross and...?

My interpretation is more comics than we think are varying levels of irredeemable dirtbags. Not just the roast comics but in general

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

My interpretation is more comics than we think are varying levels of irredeemable dirtbags. Not just the roast comics but in general

Yeah, I thought he meant to write ‘I have’ instead of ‘I gave’.
It’s quite the allegation.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

Probably DeElia, he was on at least one of those. Might be more, I dunno.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mrfart posted:

Yeah, I thought he meant to write ‘I have’ instead of ‘I gave’.
It’s quite the allegation.

I mean to be fair he likely means it in the sense of 'they suck to hang with' and not literally 'they're all sexual predators'.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

sexpig by night posted:

I mean to be fair he likely means it in the sense of 'they suck to hang with' and not literally 'they're all sexual predators'.

also ross was sort of the defacto head of those roasts, being the "Roastmaster General" and all. Even if no one else in the room was a literal pedophile, being led by one is probably bad enough.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea when the dude running things is apparently a pedophile scumbag that's all you need to go 'yea I don't go places and hang with pedophiles', going by very little but the interviews and all I've seen of him I'm sure Titus' spectrum of 'I don't want to gently caress with you' goes a lot deeper than 'actual child rapist'

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

drat he went all Chud.

Bumping this Jeff Ross post because who gives a gently caress about Nick DiPaolo. Here's the evidence for the Jeff Ross allegations. Click for full thread:

https://twitter.com/PallaviGunalan/status/1273925367498043394

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2anWvbM0KY

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

new eric andre netflix special is great

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Does anybody here perform comedy themselves, like even just at open mics?

Before the virus, I'd been doing it for around 8 years. I started in college, in a small college town, but after graduating moved back to my old home town, not far from Los Angeles.

I've got to meet and perform with some people I admired, and every single time they've been cool.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting about it: A year or two ago, a local, low-level comedian who produces shows and managed to make some big name contacts was accused by several women, some comedians, some not, of some kind of sexual assault, usually involving drugging them and raping them. I know personally two of these women and believe both of their stories completely.

So there was kind of a schism in our local scene, in which most comedians, but sadly only a few venues, stopped associating with him completely. However, he continued to put on shows, using his contacts to get big names from L.A. to come out. I was very disappointed in some of my good friends who would justify doing his shows. But they just couldn't resist being on the same stage as [big name]. Like that's going to do anything for you. A lot of locals considered it a black mark for you if you still did his shows after this news came out.

Heh, I remember him personally asking me to be on a show with D'Elia. I just never responded, cause gently caress him, and now I'm even more sure that was the right choice.
So yeah, these people exist at all levels of this business. It's really sad because I love comedy and am not being hyperbolic when I say it saved my life, but these kinds of predators are everywhere, in every business.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

It's not super active, but there's a thread for performers!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517952

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Oh, awesome!

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

https://youtu.be/kVc4-05Agf0

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

d0grent posted:

Yes! I watched it and Jim Jefferies one last night. Well half of Jim Jefferies one... It's really boring bland PC Culture bad bits. I thought I was watching a bit from 2006 with his peanut allergy section...

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Comedians who seem like they would be nice people:
John Mulaney
Pete Holmes
Mike Birbiglia

Those are the only ones I can think of, the rest are all hosed up in one way or another.

Bill Burr?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

am0kgonzo posted:

Bill Burr?

He sounds like he's always seconds removed from having a nervous breakdown.
Maybe that's his on stage persona, I don't know.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

mrfart posted:

He sounds like he's always seconds removed from having a nervous breakdown.
Maybe that's his on stage persona, I don't know.

It's a little of both I think. He'll have minor meltdowns on his podcast but then when he notices he's overreacting to something stupid he takes a step back and makes fun of himself for it. I definitely thought he was just an angry rear end in a top hat at first, but after listening to his podcast for a while he seems like a genuinely nice guy. I'm not saying he doesn't have any dark secrets, but if something lovely about him became public I would be surprised by it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea not to get too deep in the 'I bet I know a lot about this person who I entirely know through consuming their artistic output' hole but going by his podcast stuff it seems Burr does tend to have a hair trigger, but by now also is very aware of that and realizes how stupid that is, so it's less 'Burr has a huge breakdown whenever anything happens' and more 'Burr maybe has a bit of a breakdown, but then after a couple minutes goes 'jesus I'm being an idiot here aren't I' and just chills out'.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

yea not to get too deep in the 'I bet I know a lot about this person who I entirely know through consuming their artistic output' hole but going by his podcast stuff it seems Burr does tend to have a hair trigger, but by now also is very aware of that and realizes how stupid that is, so it's less 'Burr has a huge breakdown whenever anything happens' and more 'Burr maybe has a bit of a breakdown, but then after a couple minutes goes 'jesus I'm being an idiot here aren't I' and just chills out'.

That’s what I picked up, but I still stopped listening to his podcast while commuting because his breakdowns tended to exacerbate the usual “driving in heavy traffic” frustration and anxiety.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Bill Burr is just a person at war with himself and his inner boston stereotype.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

d0grent posted:

I love Eric Andre but that special was so bad I turned it off after 20 minutes. I legit thought he was doing a parody of bad frat boy comedy up top and then it kept going and going...

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

WerthersWay posted:

I love Eric Andre but that special was so bad I turned it off after 20 minutes. I legit thought he was doing a parody of bad frat boy comedy up top and then it kept going and going...

Same, it was unwatchable for me.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Watched the new Jim Jefferies. It was fairly by-the-numbers, but I was amused by it the whole hour. I think he basically has the same issue as every other super-successful comedian - he's spends most of his time in front of a camera and in clubs and airports instead of actually living a kind of life that provides you with stories to tell, like he did earlier in his career.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Megazver posted:

Watched the new Jim Jefferies. It was fairly by-the-numbers, but I was amused by it the whole hour. I think he basically has the same issue as every other super-successful comedian - he's spends most of his time in front of a camera and in clubs and airports instead of actually living a kind of life that provides you with stories to tell, like he did earlier in his career.

I'm halfway through, but this has been my opinion so far and I predict it will still be the case by the end.

Unrelated: Kyle Kinane's newest special, Trampoline in a Ditch, is available to stream on Pandora (wide release on the 24th) and I'm pretty stoked to listen to it. The two tracks I've heard have both been great

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I dunno I've been obsessively watching local roast battles on YouTube lately (if there's a better feed for Just Jokes lemme know) and it's such a delight to have no illusions what a scumbag everyone on and offstage is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

WerthersWay posted:

I mean a lot of his comedy persona is exactly that, a parody of college bro personalities. His style is definitely more suited to his show but I liked some of the more chaotic moments in the stand up.