Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

mcmagic posted:

I just hope this game is more forgiving than Sekiro. I'm old and suck at video games.

Yes it will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

When is the review embargo up?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

When is the review embargo up?

Less than 24 hours I believe so by tomorrow

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

sucker punch confirmed there will be sly cooper easter eggs in game, heck yea

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

Less than 24 hours I believe so by tomorrow

Although I cant imagine the game getting less than 10/10 ratings because you can pet foxes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Thinkin bout replaying Sly Cooper

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I mean if you can play through an Assassin's Creed or an Arkham or a Spider-Man or a Shadow of Mordor or The Witcher 3, I imagine you'll be able to stomach this. This appears to have all the same trappings of those 3PS action games, and usually one of those franchises hits a soft spot for someone. I really can't imagine this game will have WORSE combat than any of those franchises.

Ya I think I will like it but I hope combat is good so I can have some replay value with the higher difficulties.

Really interested in how long this is, if there is replay value or any ng+? I am becoming more and more the type of person who replays the same game multiple times especially if the gameplay is good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What’s going to be the map region unlock mechanic in this game?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I didnt think there was suppose to be one?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

I think the Japanese version might be bad and the whole Westerner's idea of Japan/samurais plus using Kurosawa to drum up the visuals is also kind of disappointing (though not unexpected) but I'll still play and probably enjoy it because singleplayer Sony exclusives that I haven't enjoyed are virtually non-existent.

What confuses me is people saying samurai games are dime a dozen... I'm thinking Sekiro, Nioh 1 and 2. What other games have come out recently to give this impression?

i think the devs have said that the approach they are taking is basically historical fiction and im 100% sure there will be anachronistic stuff. It'll definitely be interesting to see how the game is received in Japan, i always love to see Japanese depictions of americana in stuff like earthbound and metal wolf chaos but this is a little more self serious i guess.

re: samurai games, i would kill(via duel ofc) someone for a new Way of the Samurai game, and not that katanakami thing

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Ulio posted:

Ya I think I will like it but I hope combat is good so I can have some replay value with the higher difficulties.

Really interested in how long this is, if there is replay value or any ng+? I am becoming more and more the type of person who replays the same game multiple times especially if the gameplay is good.

they have said there is no newgame +, however its always possible we could see that as dlc. but i think Kurosawa mode + japanese voice track would definitely be worth a separate playthrough

and yea as far as map unlock we havn't really seen anything about it but the devs seem to really want players to find stuff by exploring and not so much by waypoints and map markers

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You find a beautiful tree, from which you pluck a single leaf. You release it into the wind, and as it dances off into the distance, you find that a new area of your map has been unfogged.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

free hubcaps posted:

i think the devs have said that the approach they are taking is basically historical fiction and im 100% sure there will be anachronistic stuff. It'll definitely be interesting to see how the game is received in Japan, i always love to see Japanese depictions of americana in stuff like earthbound and metal wolf chaos but this is a little more self serious i guess.

re: samurai games, i would kill(via duel ofc) someone for a new Way of the Samurai game, and not that katanakami thing

Honestly one of the things I am looking forward to the most is just how the handle the history of the fact, you will straight up lose in the end, Mongols win. I am not opposed to tweaking various facts of history a bit for a better game but to me it would be more interesting to see the losing battle play out through the story.

Besides you can tell a good story in a historical setting and still lose in the end, I remember first time I saw the film Glory, not knowing much about american history I was shocked at the ending.

And as for unlocking parts of the map, you just climb the mongol radio towers duh.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ShakeZula posted:

You find a beautiful tree, from which you pluck a single leaf. You release it into the wind, and as it dances off into the distance, you find that a new area of your map has been unfogged.

I would also accept playing the flute on top of a mountain/tree.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You climb onto a pagoda and the camera pans 360

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Evil Canadian posted:

Honestly one of the things I am looking forward to the most is just how the handle the history of the fact, you will straight up lose in the end, Mongols win. I am not opposed to tweaking various facts of history a bit for a better game but to me it would be more interesting to see the losing battle play out through the story.

Even though I want it to play out this way, I'm not convinced it will. The biggest tell is Jin's sword - the Sakai Storm - which makes me think they're gonna pull some BS that the kamikaze recorded in history was actually Jin repulsing the invading armies. I really hope they don't do that because it would be lame.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gamers can't handle not winning a game.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

pet 20 foxes to unlock kamijima

holy poo poo, do u guys think we'll be able to pet these?!?

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 14, 2020

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Even though I want it to play out this way, I'm not convinced it will. The biggest tell is Jin's sword - the Sakai Storm - which makes me think they're gonna pull some BS that the kamikaze recorded in history was actually Jin repulsing the invading armies. I really hope they don't do that because it would be lame.

Maybe they just condense events? Like yeah in the end the Mongol invasion stops when the kamikaze messes up the fleet, but in reality the mongols were already long gone from Tsushima by then and on Kyushu.

So either they just have it the Invasion of Tsushima ends cause of the Kamikaze(despite what actually happened), or Jin somehow sinks about 200'ish boats by himself.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

precision posted:

Thinkin bout replaying Sly Cooper
Seeing the gameplay for GOT and it's fun to see the little hints of Sly Cooper in the sneaking animations

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

achillesforever6 posted:

Seeing the gameplay for GOT and it's fun to see the little hints of Sly Cooper in the sneaking animations

ngl when i saw the little snippet of the player character walking on a tightrope in the launch trailer i got unreasonably excited

The Saviour
Feb 19, 2006

I want to like this game. It looks stylish, and have been hooked on the idea since the first trailer.
I dont see any type of variety and wonder at the need for it to be open world. Other than it ticks the AAA box requied for big budget games.
The obvious influence is RDR and Odessey, both of those games have enough distractions above the combat, rdr has cool hunting and lived in settlemente and Odessey has and endless amount of missions and distractions, the problem of over stuffing at times.

Sucker Punch have not said if theres anything else going on the in island other than shrines and limited customisation. Other than traveling to outposts and killing people. What is going to keep people playing? The reviews should be interesting, but i also havent seen any leaks of gameplay either.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Just pre-ordered the boxed copy, should arrive on Friday based on the delivery company's track record so far. Getting excited to play this now!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Evil Canadian posted:

or Jin somehow sinks about 200'ish boats by himself.

The final mission is actually Revengeance and you go around slicing mongol boats into pieces. It’s revealed Jin’s actual name is Jack.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It turns out the wind guiding you around Tsushima Island is the Divine Wind that repelled the Mongols, but only if you collect all 138 Air Fragments.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Please excuse the reddit, but I cannot figure out how to steal and embed this video

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/hqshyz/gif_the_samurai_of_tsushima/

Things I like is small HUD and fluidity of animations, things I am wary of is how many arrows that fuckin archer is banging out!

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Is there a certain time the embargo is up today?

I’m liking what I’m seeing from the short gameplay videos. Game is pretty.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
https://twitter.com/ITheOldHunter/status/1282967815452909568?s=20

Combat looking good. That guy got the game early or is a reviewer. He has 2 < 1 minute clips but both make the combat look quite fun. Although the whole "enemies don't wait in line to attack you" does indeed look like bullshit, as that is pretty clearly happening in the clip where he jumps off the horse.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That loving hat rules

Megasabin posted:

Although the whole "enemies don't wait in line to attack you" does indeed look like bullshit, as that is pretty clearly happening in the clip where he jumps off the horse.

I’m curious if this is tied to difficulty. Does this guy say what difficulty he’s playing?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Megasabin posted:

https://twitter.com/ITheOldHunter/status/1282967815452909568?s=20

Combat looking good. That guy got the game early or is a reviewer. He has 2 < 1 minute clips but both make the combat look quite fun. Although the whole "enemies don't wait in line to attack you" does indeed look like bullshit, as that is pretty clearly happening in the clip where he jumps off the horse.

I imagine there'll be different difficulty options, maybe this is on journalist mode

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

reviews should be dropping in around 30 min

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Rad Valtar posted:

Is there a certain time the embargo is up today?

I’m liking what I’m seeing from the short gameplay videos. Game is pretty.

30mins

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Resetera has a good thread that already posted a few leaked reviews. Seems to be about what people expected-- Very pretty, solid open world game that doesn't innovate but refines existing ideas, good but not great combat, passable story. The ones that had numbers were in the 70's and 80's.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Destructoid: 9.5
Kotaku: Positive
Game Informer: 9.5
Gamespot: 7
IGN: 9
Easy Allies: 8.5

Wow, getting way better reviews than I imagined.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There was never any chance of the big corporate gaming outlets not giving it a strong B+ or higher, a game has to really suck poo poo to ever hit below 7.5

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Polygon: Game is pretty, story ok, gameplay same old poo poo

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bowmore posted:

Polygon: Game is pretty, story ok, gameplay same old poo poo

Kotaku similar. They both mentioned the sidequests and characters (not Jin, sounds like he lives only to cut) being good though so that's nice. All sounds exactly as expected with no horrible surprises so I'm excited for Friday!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I already bought it so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I’m more interested in seeing gameplay on youtube then I am a written review. once those start dropping I’m going to decide whether or not to get it.

Edit: looks like there is already a bunch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Im super wary of dismissing gameplay for not pushing any envelopes, I’d rather have systems that work and are fine tuned and feel good than a bunch of janky half-baked ideas that don’t actually make for a stronger game. If the gameplay is rock solid and responsive that’s to the games credit even if we’ve seen mechanics like “sword” and “hide” before.