Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I saw they implemented PC's having realistic bleeding and anemia and whatnot now and my eyes kinda glazed over reading the change log, hows that one go in practice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Caidin posted:

I saw they implemented PC's having realistic bleeding and anemia and whatnot now and my eyes kinda glazed over reading the change log, hows that one go in practice?

Oh, I wondered why nearly every hit was giving me a slow bleed effect. In practice, you quickly duck into a house after the fight to grab a rag, and by the time you do it's already stopped.

E: maybe this is why they have band aids in first aid kits now, to add to the realism of their new owie simulation

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 14, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I don't think that there is an emote that combines lol and wtf but yeah that's my response

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's incredible they're modeling small scrapes, cuts, and scratches that need care, but still just lump all wounds into one big per-limb pool. Even URW managed to track distinct wounds and their individual recovery like, 20 years ago. CDDA's just making a bad system more complex instead of rewriting it to track each wound, which is really how this should be handled, especially if you're including poo poo like tiny bleeding wounds and scrapes.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Is it tracking antibodies you've developed?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

taqueso posted:

Is it tracking antibodies you've developed?

christ, don't give them ideas

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
hmm this bleed system isn't really as tedious as we'd like, time to implement tetanus.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Motherfucker posted:

hmm this bleed system isn't really as tedious as we'd like, time to implement tetanus.

There used to be a super super high chance of catching that if you didn't smash a window twice and you cut yourself moving across broken glass.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Anticheese posted:

There used to be a super super high chance of catching that if you didn't smash a window twice and you cut yourself moving across broken glass.

You can't parody this poo poo anymore. Its like America in video game form... there's no bottom to this.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I feel like Neo Scavenger solved the problem of a "realistic" injury system

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Reading all of this reminds of Wikipedia's math/algorithms pages; where folks were just writing pages for student credit and whatnot, or so the story goes.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
None of these idiots have ever washed dishes, much less clothes, without a machine.

Vib Rib posted:

It's incredible they're modeling small scrapes, cuts, and scratches that need care, but still just lump all wounds into one big per-limb pool. Even URW managed to track distinct wounds and their individual recovery like, 20 years ago.

URW is still great and just got a little update this week.

Boo, can't leave meat to be auto-smoked, you gotta light the fireplace every dang day.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 14, 2020

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is the new inventory system in this stable enough to use yet?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I hope not, I've been enjoying being liberated from this game, but I know as soon as guns stop getting more voluminous the more bullets I put into them that I'll go right back to chasing that dragon.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

Is the new inventory system in this stable enough to use yet?

There's still glitches, but they're weird edge cases by now;I've been back on experimental for a while and it's workable.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
maybe a dumb question but i don't see it mentioned anywhere, nor do i see any in the YT Let's plays of CDDA, but while they have airliner crash sites, have they implemented airports yet?

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
of course, the minute i post that, i watch a lets play where he stumbles across a private airfield. nm

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Wolfechu posted:

There's still glitches, but they're weird edge cases by now;I've been back on experimental for a while and it's workable.
I played about a week ago and just while trying to figure out how the new container system worked I somehow duplicated my canned tuna 40 times.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

I played about a week ago and just while trying to figure out how the new container system worked I somehow duplicated my canned tuna 40 times.

I haven't come across that one. I had to do that the old-fashioned way, where I cleared out a megastore and approximately 1/4 of it had nothing but cans of red sauce and raviolis for sale. My base currently has about 15 pages of tinned pasta ready to cook.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

as soon as guns stop getting more voluminous the more bullets I put into them
Sweat dripping from my brow as I carefully insert another round into my mosin while the wooden furniture aches in its metal banding and the action trembles under intese pressure

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

edit: whoops nevermind, answered a question that was already answered

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I just finished my Computer Science 2 class, which was like pointers and stuff in C++ I think I have enough programming knowledge to take on a project, SO, could people make a big list of changes they'd like to see to Cataclysm? And I'll see if I can implement them in a fork or mod or something. I think programmers need like a portfolio to get a real computer toucher job, and to be honest I need to be practicing my programming.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
FUN

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

If you really want to do this(guard your soul) then you probably should look at the stable release(Ellision) as your base since the experimental branch still has all kinds of bugs afaik. From the top of my head the first thing I would like to see fixed is the insane temperature system. Lighting a fire indoors in summer has a good chance of cooking you despite all doors/windows being open so you kinda have to beeline to alternate cooking methods and never touch fire again. And the general temperature in summer is also rather harsh since a large part of the clothes you want to wear for looting&fighting make you overheat all the time. It of course makes sense that heavy and protective gear makes you sweat a bunch in the summer heat but it's a real bummer in terms of gameplay experience imo and could do with a bit of tuning. Also every vehicle apparently has the AC on blast at all times since you can come close to heatstroke in high summer and just step into any car for a few minutes to recover. Bouncing between random cars and doing bursts of activity is the only way I could get stuff done in summer without ditching all protective gear. I expect the whole system to be a can of worms but yeah that's my first shot

:hmmyes:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 15, 2020

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
My biggest gripe about CDDA is that the character progression is incredibly awkward and tends to go in huge jumps, but fixing that is not an easy job at all.

To get a satisfactory difficulty curve would at the very least mean drastic reworks to character creation, skills, book learning, mutations, bionics, and adding useful items to various locations so that the midgame is more than just driving around looking for labs.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 15, 2020

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

RabidWeasel posted:

My biggest gripe about CDDA is that the character progression is incredibly awkward and tends to go in huge jumps, but fixing that is not an easy job at all.

To get a satisfactory difficulty curve would at the very least mean drastic reworks to character creation, skills, book learning, mutations, bionics, and adding useful items to various locations so that the midgame is more than just driving around looking for labs.

Progression gates so that once you demonstrate that you can in fact survive the winter and source food for yourself, basic housekeping stuff like temperature and food just aren't enabled unless you go into an extreme environment such as a lab or a mi-go tower or whatever. This gets accompanied by missions pointing you in the direction of more challenging content.

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
It really needs a real end game imo

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Marcus Garvey posted:

It really needs a real end game imo

Truth.

Also it would be nice if the range of guns/bows reflected real life a little more with the effective range limited by the marksmanship skill.

I mean, real life stunt shots with a bog standard 30.06 are measured in miles. Obviously that is by an expert in very controlled conditions, but right now 20 rifle and marksmanship skill still gets you 360 feet with the longest range gun in the game.

Supposedly this is an engine limitation so who knows.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Simplify the eating and drinking system. It currently is a stupid “realism” kludge where if I eat a whole kg of spaghetti bolognaise, I actually have to wait like half an hour before my hunger goes from famished to full. It only vaguely makes sense form a realism perspective (don’t know about anyone else but if I pig out on a big meal, I’m usually stuffed before I’m done, not after I’ve eaten the second kg worth of food) but in game it’s dumb and stupid and makes it very difficult to gauge how much food you require when paradoxically, its be easier in real life to know when I’m stuffed and can’t eat anymore.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Manager Hoyden posted:

Truth.

Also it would be nice if the range of guns/bows reflected real life a little more with the effective range limited by the marksmanship skill.

I mean, real life stunt shots with a bog standard 30.06 are measured in miles. Obviously that is by an expert in very controlled conditions, but right now 20 rifle and marksmanship skill still gets you 360 feet with the longest range gun in the game.

Yeah, I understand that game sight is very limited and you can only aim to the limits of that sight, but so many guns are limited to like, not even being able to shoot someone directly across an open street. A longbow maxes out at like ten paces.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Yeah ranged weapons are so bonkers. The range of shotguns is literally 24 feet with 00 shot or 48 feet with slug ammo. Pistols max out at around 50 feet. A compound greatbow with the best arrows can shoot 120 feet. For reference, a cdda road is 52 feet wide.

I guess it's another one of those cases where realistic calorie counting is the right kind of realism but shooting things is the wrong kind.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Boba Pearl posted:

I just finished my Computer Science 2 class, which was like pointers and stuff in C++ I think I have enough programming knowledge to take on a project, SO, could people make a big list of changes they'd like to see to Cataclysm? And I'll see if I can implement them in a fork or mod or something. I think programmers need like a portfolio to get a real computer toucher job, and to be honest I need to be practicing my programming.

how much of the game have you played? i'd start with something that bugs you personally, diving into DDA is going to be a real mental strain so you are going to want a big personal interest stake so you can push through that.

obviously some things are going to be better than others - messing with the ranged weapon imbalances is probably a better idea than trying to tackle the character progression - but you should do what you're passionate about if you want to stand a shot at completing things.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You're going to get different ideas on what to change from different people. It's best to start with the things you'd want change, and maybe look and see if any mods do something similar that you can work with or off of.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

Truth.

On the one hand I feel you but I absolutely do not want to bumble fresh out of the shelter and immediately get shot to death by some bandit so far off his map tile probably hasn't even been revealed yet, possibly the first thing they'd put in after the engine limitations had been surmounted.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Non shitpost will be a way to make mutations not suck dick. Like a machine you can throw serums into to isolate a particular mutation to shoot into yourself. This would balance itself, you got all these serums. Do you play mutation roulette and possibly get a bunch of good mutations or do you use them all up to get one single mutation?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Comp Sci II? Hmm thats only 6 computer skill iirc.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

There's no way a lone survivor, no matter how skilled in Computers, would be able to substantially improve the CDDA codebase. You need professional facilities for that. Maybe those facilities will be added sometime in the future, for example as a reward at the bottom of a lab, but until then this seems unrealistic.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Hub01 if it was filled with joyless bean counters, endlessly rebalancing jsons until they die of a vitamin deficiency.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

is it worth it to fertilize crops? searching around, it seems like maybe there were changes made to how it works since the wiki was last updated. I play the stable version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Boba Pearl posted:

I mean this with all sincerity as someone who has gone down this path before: either commit to a long term uphill sisyphus struggle, or decide on a specific, concrete, achievable goal that you can work on using the latest stable and do that. Trying to upkeep a branch chasing the master is a fools errand and a guaranteed path to wanting to die.