Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
ຂ້ອຍເປັນຄົນຮັກ&#
Gorbachev: His Life and Times by William Taubman
Postwar: A History of Europe Since 1945 by Tony Judt
Forgotten Ally by Rana Mitter
Inferno by Max Hastings
The Nuremberg Trial by John & Ann Tusa
View Results

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
ing to hurt our planet.

Hi friends. I suffered from male pattern baldness with a horrible widows peak. It wasn't even the cool V shape, just a very upsetting U pattern that made me feel like a monk or skunk or something. It was just showing itself in highschool a little bit, then by community college it became noticeable. When I went to state college it was getting increasingly hard trying to make my hairline seem uniform, and haircuts were starting to help out less and less. I even made the mistake of getting a short haircut once and it totally exposed what I was trying to hide - the awful U. My hair couldn't grow back fast enough after that event.

Then I discovered the power of hats and how cool they were at hiding things. I felt normal and I could have a "full" head of hair and not spend any time thinking about my hairline as long as I had a hat or beanie. I had an assortment of both before long. Unfortunately you gotta take off your hat when hooking up with people, using the bathroom, or when eating inside (those aren't hard and fast rules, but they tend to be how things work here in the States) If I was an an event or a party where people would take photos, I'd be caught off guard and oops - look at that idiot buglord trying to combover his widows peak, it looks terrible at this angle! I considered a lot of things at that point - pills, surgery, those little pin needle hedgehog things that go on your head to promote hair growth, and cream kits from target. Taking any of those steps made me feel too uncomfortable to try them because it would make me acknowledge my hair going bye-bye. "I'm only 27, this feels too early to start losing hair!" Big thanks to mom and dad both having insane widows peaks - how did my brother avoid that entirely?

Anywho, one day I went to supercuts for my usual haircut. They're overpriced, undertrained, generally a subpar experience all around. However, they are fast. The lady who did my hair unsurprisingly bungled it pretty badly, but of course I was too nice to say anything, despite having easily the worst haircut job done ever. I got home and complained to my roommate, and she said something like "maybe just cut it all off instead of going back to fix it". It was the stupidest idea I had heard that week and I immediately discounted it.

The next morning, I went to another supercuts because of course I was too passive to complain about the bad haircut - the lady who did it reminded me of my grandma and I couldn't bare making an old lady sad. I initially asked them to fix the mistake, but as they were making the final repairs to my bad cutjob, I said "actually, can you just shave the whole thing off?". The young gal who was doing my hair suggested I hold my horses - was I really sure about that? she asked me if I had ever been bald before. "nope, this will be my first time" I replied. she asked a few more times, right up to the point where she was about to make the first pass with the buzzard with no guard. I confirmed each time, and it all came off.

All my hair was gone, and I got to see the fine contours and details of my scalp that I had never been aware of. But all in all, it looked good - real good. There was the glaring problem of my scalp being pale compared to the rest of my body, but the sun would take care of that in the coming days. But at last, I didn't have any "bad angles" or some dumb floppy piece of fronthair that wasn't receded. In summary, I suggest every person who is concerned about their hair loss consider trying the nuclear option like I did. You can always spin it as a catastrophic haircut mistake if you end up not liking it, however I bet you would actually enjoy the change and would maybe even wish you had done it sooner. I did! It's been one year since I went bald, and now I shave my head with a razor every 3-4 days for a nice clean look. people like rubbing and massaging my scalp when its freshly shaven. the end.

tl;dr shave yo head, you get an internet stranger's guarantee that you'll enjoy the change. its also a really cost effective option too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I shaved my head once and I looked liked an escaped mental patient. 0/10 do not recommend.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
yeah you gotta give your scalp some time to tan a bit and become uniform with the rest of your head. it doesn't take too long though!

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

I let my hair grow since 2002, I'm gonna have to wait for a V, U or any other alphabet spot before going there but will keep the suggestion in mind.

Have you considered hair transplants? There's a goon here somewhere who tried it and could show you the pictures.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
My hair is thick as hell I'm never going to go bald :smug:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'm using the laser hat, OP. My dad gave it to me as an xmas gift a couple years ago

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

buglord posted:

yeah you gotta give your scalp some time to tan a bit and become uniform with the rest of your head. it doesn't take too long though!

I take medication that makes me sensitive to sunlight, I don't tan, I just break out in painful blisters. I never stopped looking like a serial killer until it was at least 3/4" long.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I think Bosley works, thats what hollywood peoples use? I read that somewhere. But then you need repeated treatments and poo poo. Either way, congrats on realizing the shaved look is just better. Hopefully you can grow decent facial hair? That seems to compliment the shaved head look well.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Holy poo poo the laser hat is actually real, I thought it was a joke:
https://www.amazon.com/HairMax-RegrowMD-Medical-Device-Laser/dp/B07G8MMR53

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Is that a hat for growing weed for hair?
Edit, apparently not. What at modifications do you think it would need to become one?

Weka fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 14, 2020

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Fullbald, fucker

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Nuts and Gum posted:

I think Bosley works, thats what hollywood peoples use? I read that somewhere. But then you need repeated treatments and poo poo. Either way, congrats on realizing the shaved look is just better. Hopefully you can grow decent facial hair? That seems to compliment the shaved head look well.

Yeah I was open to a one-and-done thing but those are surgeries which are monumentally expensive. I saw some transplant thing for 15k i'd rather use that hypothetical amount to repay college debt. not hugely into facial hair, i'll keep stubble but that's about it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Bronze Fonz posted:

Holy poo poo the laser hat is actually real, I thought it was a joke:
https://www.amazon.com/HairMax-RegrowMD-Medical-Device-Laser/dp/B07G8MMR53

Indeed. The manual for mine says it only works for certain people/baldness types though

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
Didn't realize I had a bald spot until I got a nasty scalp burn on vacation. That was the day I truly entered my 40s.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
You should have kept that lady's buzzard on your head. No one gives a gently caress about your hair with a head buzzard

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

literally just take Propecia, it works

they already solved male pattern baldness and it's like $10 a month

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

AHH F/UGH posted:

literally just take Propecia, it works

they already solved male pattern baldness and it's like $10 a month

Doesn't it cause every side-effect known to medical science and some known only to religion?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Doesn't it cause every side-effect known to medical science and some known only to religion?

it rarely causes decreased libido but only in guys who are over 65 and weren't getting laid anyways but that's about it

it also will help prevent prostate cancer as a random good side effect

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

quote:

Finasteride, sold under the brand names Proscar and Propecia among others, is a medication mainly used to treat an enlarged prostate or hair loss in men.

Truly a wonderdrug for our current times.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

39 and my hair DOES NOT STOP, am I some sort of genetic freak?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

My hair is getting more grey.

Lmbo at baldies

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

AHH F/UGH posted:

it rarely causes decreased libido but only in guys who are over 65 and weren't getting laid anyways but that's about it

That stuff is basically poison and will definitely cause issues one way or another. It also is prescribed for prostate inflammation, but saying it will prevent cancer is not true especially since it says right in the little paper bit that it can cause "aggressive tumors"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

No

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Edit: gently caress No

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

edit: gently caress how did you beat me to it ^^^

Pontificating rear end posted:

That stuff is basically poison and will definitely cause issues one way or another. It also is prescribed for prostate inflammation, but saying it will prevent cancer is not true especially since it says right in the little paper bit that it can cause "aggressive tumors"

lol, No.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
they pay you guys or something?

edit: https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/finasteride-oral-route/side-effects/drg-20063819?p=1
"This medicine will not prevent prostate cancer but may increase your risk of developing high-grade prostate cancer."

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 14, 2020

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

AHH F/UGH posted:

its like a very common experience for anti-androgens to reduce libido. i guess it depends on the dosage, i dunno what level this drug is reducing testosterone activity by but necessarily it must be doing it some amount if youre taking an effective dose

e -

The 2010 Cochrane review found that compared with placebo, men taking finasteride are at increased risk for impotence, erectile dysfunction, decreased libido, and ejaculation disorder for the first year of treatment. The risk of side effects were dose dependent, with a higher risk for men taking 5mg in comparison to 1mg.[45] The rates also became indistinguishable from placebo after 2–4 years and these side effects usually got better over time.[6][46] A 2016 meta-analysis found that sexual dysfunction, including erectile dysfunction, loss of libido, and reduced ejaculate, may occur in 3.4 to 15.8% of men treated with finasteride or dutasteride.[28] This adverse effect has been linked to lower quality of life and can cause stress in relationships.[47]

Ocean Book fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 14, 2020

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
I'm alright, thanks.

BonerKid
Jan 3, 2002

Chill

Ocean Book posted:

The 2010 Cochrane review found that compared with placebo, men taking finasteride are at increased risk for impotence, erectile dysfunction, decreased libido, and ejaculation disorder for the first year of treatment. The risk of side effects were dose dependent, with a higher risk for men taking 5mg in comparison to 1mg.[45] The rates also became indistinguishable from placebo after 2–4 years and these side effects usually got better over time.[6][46] A 2016 meta-analysis found that sexual dysfunction, including erectile dysfunction, loss of libido, and reduced ejaculate, may occur in 3.4 to 15.8% of men treated with finasteride or dutasteride.[28] This adverse effect has been linked to lower quality of life and can cause stress in relationships.[47]

I want nice hair, but I think shooting thick ropey loads is more important. I'll take baldness any day

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Just give up on your personal appearance. Who are you trying to impress, anyway?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
We all look the same under several millimeters of flesh, beat the rush and start polishing the dome!

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

I am sad at my hairline and have considered the dick breaking propecia. But what’s the point of having thick lustrous hair if I can’t drill all the smoking hot babes who come to run their fingers through it and swoon.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Ocean Book posted:

its like a very common experience for anti-androgens to reduce libido. i guess it depends on the dosage, i dunno what level this drug is reducing testosterone activity by but necessarily it must be doing it some amount if youre taking an effective dose

e -

FYI no one takes the 5mg, the 1mg is standard or somtimes 0.5mg. There are a lot of testimonials that say taking the 5mg makes your dick wimpy until you start taking the 1mg it goes back to normal but the benefits have dimishing returns anyways so taking 5mg is a waste. I've never had a problem busting fat nuts at exactly the same rate as before, and my hair looks better than when I was in my 20s, and my doctor says my prostate is rocking and rolling when he sticks his finger up my rear end in a top hat!

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Started losing hair when I was 17, but I've always had poo poo hair anyway and had basically already given up on it looking nice ever. I don't mind though, I've always found hair to be more of a hassle than anything. I desperately wanted a pomp when I was a kid, but after the realization that this would require the assistance of concrete and a truly great sculptor I've basically never paid much attention to my 'do. Keep it short and manageable and I'm good. Shaved it off a few times and it feels really great, although nowadays it's not a great look on a pasty white guy who likes to wear hammer pendants.

Don't be ashamed of your bald spot. We've all got so much else to be ashamed of.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Thought for sure this was a spam post advertising a baldness cure and at this point I’m disappointed it isn’t

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I was going bald when I turned twenty, finally shaved it off when I got to 25. After the first week or so of meeting people and them going "Oh! You're bald!" it's been great. I don't have to give a poo poo about how the wind blows my hair and shows my bald spot, I don't have to pay for haircuts, and when it rains I don't have to worry about my hair getting wet.

I did like having hair when I was younger but honestly it's been so much better since I shaved. Apart from when I gently caress up and slice open a bit of my scalp and it bleeds forever.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
baldness > bad hair, but it can't beat good hair. such is hair law.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

buglord posted:

tl;dr shave yo head, you get an internet stranger's guarantee that you'll enjoy the change. its also a really cost effective option too!

Pretty much. I turned into an egg-head pretty quick in my early 20's. Dabbled in some stupid shampoos and bullshit until finally shaving it. Would I rather have hair? Sure, but going down the road for expensive surgeries and treatments which only kinda work ain't worth it.

Shave the dome. No one really cares, its all you.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

yeah if i as going bald i'd just go straight for the razor

and run it right down my forearm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

Pontificating rear end posted:

they pay you guys or something?

edit: https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/finasteride-oral-route/side-effects/drg-20063819?p=1
"This medicine will not prevent prostate cancer but may increase your risk of developing high-grade prostate cancer."

Top quality cancer should be a selling point if anything.