Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Only way to brick with the wii u really is either deleting some system file with a FTP or if you install coldboot haxchi then delete the DS game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

SeANMcBAY posted:

How good is the PS1 emulation? I’d like to play Mega Man Legends on my TV.

Wiisx compatibility list

Muk Dumpster fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 14, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There was some stuff with vWii early on but as long as you follow instructions I doubt that's even an issue anymore

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does anyone know what controllers are supported on the Wii U version of Retroarch. It would kick rear end if I could connect my Switch NES and SNES controllers.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does anyone know what controllers are supported on the Wii U version of Retroarch. It would kick rear end if I could connect my Switch NES and SNES controllers.

HID to VPAD lets you use other controllers bit dunno if it's usb only

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Imagine not wanting to use the best controller ever made, the wii-u tablet

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Color Printer posted:

I have to assume they somehow didn't realize this was happening, because how the gently caress did it take so loving long for them to fix people downloading free poo poo from their own servers

An alternative theory, I guess, is that their system was so poorly designed, there was literally no way to tell what a legitimate download request looked like versus an illegitimate one without redesigning the backend. Given Nintendo's track record with online, I am actually inclined to believe this one now that I think about it

There's a program for the pc called PSNStuff and you can download PS3, PSP, and Vita games right from Sony's servers.

I guess for whatever reason these things are hard to detect or something.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Imagine not wanting to use the best controller ever made, the wii-u tablet

Mine has interface problems due to my 5ghz WiFi. I’m trying to fix to detect the channel my game pad uses so I could stop that. It is very good still. Perfect dpad and zero drift after almost 8 years.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 15, 2020

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Fair enough! Maybe I'll look into what's worth homebrewing a WiiU for, then. My vWii is hacked, which was pretty trivial since I just used Smash Stack.

Was pretty fun backing up my Wii, doing a system transfer, then restoring the backup. Then hacking the vWii.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Set up haxchi before they close down the eshop if they haven't already

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do you need a 32GB SD card to do CBHX? I know the risks but I still want to do it since it takes so long to boot up the Wii U, then the Homebrew Channel and then CFW. Really makes me realize how snail slow the Wii U OS is compared to Switch.

Muk Dumpster posted:

Set up haxchi before they close down the eshop if they haven't already

They haven’t. There’s still new stuff coming out occasionally, believe it or not. Shakedown Hawaii is coming to Wii U (and Wii!) pretty soon.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 14, 2020

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Mailer posted:

This is exactly what it is. In a world where it's impossible to execute arbitrary code in the 3DS then serving games out of a CDN would be cheap and easy - no key, no game. Nintendo is just many years behind the curve on this stuff.

The system of needing a titlekey worked for years too (2011-2016). It wasn't until someone in the hacking scene idly wondered why the 3ds pirates bothered sending around multi-GB .CIAs when they could just download the game from Nintendo's CDN and not need to bother hosting huge illicit files that others picked up the idea and figured out how to do that and install keys from any source to decrypt the CDN downloads.

Then it took about two years for Nintendo to do something about it. Though to be fair that required Nintendo to add authentication to CDN requests and add authentication to the requests the 3ds sent, reworking the whole CDN download process and requiring a 3ds firmware update, which is a fairly major project to take on 5+ years into the life of a system.

Also in response nearly every network query made by the Switch needs to be signed by the individual console and/or Nintendo account, so simply going online with a pirated switch game will get your switch flagged for a ban (that will likely go through 1-2 weeks later).

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is Retroarch recommended for NES and SNES on Wii U over injects? I remember the official emulators being a bit poo poo on Wii U, especially NES. GBA and TG16 have great emulation though.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Just use retroarch

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

SeANMcBAY posted:

They haven’t. There’s still new stuff coming out occasionally, believe it or not. Shakedown Hawaii is coming to Wii U (and Wii!) pretty soon.

https://www.thegamer.com/3ds-wii-u-eshop-shutting-down-42-countries/

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Oh yeah, that’s right. Isn’t this because Nintendo just didn’t want to update some credit card API or something?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is Retroarch recommended for NES and SNES on Wii U over injects? I remember the official emulators being a bit poo poo on Wii U, especially NES. GBA and TG16 have great emulation though.

afaik, injection for n64, retroarch for everything else, although if the work that's being done on the mupen64-next core for switch is backportable somehow that may change

Muk Dumpster posted:

HID to VPAD lets you use other controllers bit dunno if it's usb only

HID to VPAD has a funky rear end thing where it can take input over ethernet if you have a nearby computer that can natively take a controller and run the client software

i haven't tried it myself since I usually stick with gamecube controller supremacy, but I hear the latency is low if both ends are wired, ymmv

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Has anyone gotten the Linkle mod to work with BOTW on SX OS? I'm pretty sure I have it in the right folder (sxos/titles/etc), but when I launch the game I don't see any changes.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Has anyone gotten the Linkle mod to work with BOTW on SX OS? I'm pretty sure I have it in the right folder (sxos/titles/etc), but when I launch the game I don't see any changes.

what's the full path to one of your files? say, TitleBG.pack, if you've got the version that replaces the launch screen

and what version of SX OS?

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

SX OS V 3.0.4 and filepath is /sxos/titles/01007EF00011E00/romfs/Pack/TitleBG.pack

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

FiestaDePantalones posted:

SX OS V 3.0.4 and filepath is /sxos/titles/01007EF00011E00/romfs/Pack/TitleBG.pack

You need an extra 0 at the end of your title ID, 01007EF00011E000

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

I could kick myself. Thanks for the help! All good now.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Do I need anything other than a big rear end SD card for a fully featured homebrewed Wii? It's looking like no, but info is mixed, some things are saying USB is required, others no.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Some Goon posted:

Do I need anything other than a big rear end SD card for a fully featured homebrewed Wii? It's looking like no, but info is mixed, some things are saying USB is required, others no.

Techncially no but I'm not sure what the actual literal cap is on the Wii U grokking SD cards is, and for most people it makes more sense to have a cheaper 32-64GB SD card with powered external multi-TB drive, than spending the same amount of money on a measily 400-500GB SD card

Mine only uses an SD card but literally all I use it for right now is OOT rando so A. I'm not exactly running against the inherent storage limits of Wii U game ISOs, and B. I don't know if you'd call that "fully featured"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nah, regular-rear end Wii, and by fully featured I mean play Wii and GameCube backups. I can get a 128gb SD card from Microcenter for $15. It's not gonna will any $/Gb awards but realistically it'll hold anything I'm going play on this and stays nice and compact.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The maximum SD card size the wii can read natively is 32 gigs, and that was patched in years later, so early games that read off the SD don't recognize anything bigger than 2 gigs.

edit: Apparently pretty much anything works for backups these days, just as long as it's reformatted to fat32

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 28, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Thankfully same advice basically applies across the board, although with the caveat now that I think about it that your SD card should be Fat32, Fat32 caps at 4G files maximum, and Wii ISOs are probably 4.2G? so that might be where the "requirement" comes from. I think there's a tool to split ISOs into a chunked format that's still readable, but you might want to verify that before comitting to it if playing Wii ISOs is the plan

GC isos are like 1.6G so it's a non issue there

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I use a 128 micro sd for GC games and a 500gb external for wii games. You can partition the external using a bunch of programs I forget the names of

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Mine has interface problems due to my 5ghz WiFi. I’m trying to fix to detect the channel my game pad uses so I could stop that. It is very good still. Perfect dpad and zero drift after almost 8 years.

I had the same issue, Wii U was basically unplayable due to constant interference in the communication with the gamepad. It uses channel 36 which absolutely everyone and their grandma does these days for wifi. Switched my own network to use the 80MHz frequency starting from channel 52 so there's no overlap, now it's stable 99% of the time, so if it's your own radio jamming it you might want to switch frequencies.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Keito posted:

I had the same issue, Wii U was basically unplayable due to constant interference in the communication with the gamepad. It uses channel 36 which absolutely everyone and their grandma does these days for wifi. Switched my own network to use the 80MHz frequency starting from channel 52 so there's no overlap, now it's stable 99% of the time, so if it's your own radio jamming it you might want to switch frequencies.

I changed my WiFi channel to a much higher channel and it seems to be working now but in my research it seems like the gamepad will switch frequencies at will, which is pretty annoying.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

SeANMcBAY posted:

I changed my WiFi channel to a much higher channel and it seems to be working now but in my research it seems like the gamepad will switch frequencies at will, which is pretty annoying.

Apparently it does switch frequencies at will but I've only personally seen mine in the bottom frequencies overlapping with absolutely everything else, so its detection seems to be really lovely. I'm pretty sure the thing will never use the DFS channels though.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Thankfully same advice basically applies across the board, although with the caveat now that I think about it that your SD card should be Fat32, Fat32 caps at 4G files maximum, and Wii ISOs are probably 4.2G? so that might be where the "requirement" comes from. I think there's a tool to split ISOs into a chunked format that's still readable, but you might want to verify that before comitting to it if playing Wii ISOs is the plan
My Wii softmod strategy generally dates from 2009 so perhaps there's better ways to do things now, but I've only ever used USB devices for backup loading. Unless you really can't tolerate having a flash drive hanging out the back of your Wii, I'd probably go with a small 2 GB SD card to store homebrew and a USB flash drive for everything else.

In my case, I have my USB device partitioned so that the first partition is FAT32 and has a pile of ROMs and my GC backups for Nintendont. It's also large enough that I can use CleanRip to dump Wii discs to it, although I haven't done that in quite a long time either. The second partition is a WBFS partition which various tools (Wii Backup Manager, Wiimms ISO Tools) can write to, and USB loaders (using d2x cIOS) can locate Wii backups there. Wii disc images are kind of painful since the entire disc is encrypted including the unused space, which leads to large image sizes. However, when the aforementioned tools write to WBFS they write the images in a sparse format with the unused blocks stripped out, saving considerable space.

The other popular option is to have one giant FAT32 partition on your USB device and store Wii images converted to WBFS files. In this case, each WBFS file is a whole filesystem with a single disc image. The cIOS supports fragmented WBFS files to get around the 4 GB image limit. One benefit to storing things this way is that you can use the WBFS files directly in Dolphin, although that's not preferred because the Dolphin folks don't like WBFS. Personally, for Dophin, I just use Wimms to convert the Wii disc images to a stripped raw image that gets stored as a sparse file on my computer, and if I needed to copy it over to my Wii USB would just use Wimms again to write it out to WBFS.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
The wii public keys leaked in that gigaleak recently, legality aside who knows what that could mean for homebrew, no sigpatches needed

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is it okay to use the same hard drive partitioned for both Wii U and vWii (including Nintendont) backups or would there be issues?

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is it okay to use the same hard drive partitioned for both Wii U and vWii (including Nintendont) backups or would there be issues?

They need to be different hard drives. The Wii U uses its own proprietary drive format, and takes up the whole drive during the format process. It can’t just be a partition.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Darn, okay. Thanks. Guess I’ll use the hard drive for vWii poo poo since I have much more I’d like to put on that.

I got a cable to power it.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 29, 2020

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Spoderman posted:

They need to be different hard drives. The Wii U uses its own proprietary drive format, and takes up the whole drive during the format process. It can’t just be a partition.

Also a powered hard drive because Nintendo is bad at external storage lmao.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

WilliamAnderson posted:

Also a powered hard drive because Nintendo is bad at external storage lmao.

This is really an "it depends" situation, mine for instance never needed to be plugged in to the wall. But it's something to watch for.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
When i had my wii u set up there was a build of mocha that had a bug where it mounted the hard drive as an sd card, and i used that to be able to have wii and wii u games on the same drive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

Muk Dumpster posted:

When i had my wii u set up there was a build of mocha that had a bug where it mounted the hard drive as an sd card, and i used that to be able to have wii and wii u games on the same drive

this build of mocha

You have a fat32 harddrive and it thinks its an sd card so it doesn't need to be formatted for the wii u file system

You need to set up the hard drive as you would the sd card though because it disables the sd card after you launch mocha.. its crazy this is an unintended feature that actually is really useful

Man im getting some wii u nostalgia bad

Muk Dumpster fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 29, 2020