Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

FullLeatherJacket posted:

pro lifehack: put a power cage in the garage so you can shout ronnie coleman memes and not disturb anyone other than your nearest four or five neighbours, and also not die of plague

if you do not have a garage, then consider whether or not you really *need* a kitchen

I did exactly this. I made sure the next place I moved into had a garage then hosed off the gym membership and bought a cage and weights.

Yeahhhhhh buddy. Lightweight baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I took some brownies to work but no-one has eaten any :smith:

So now there are more for me :unsmith:

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Galewolf posted:

I quit at week 3 due to mental breakdown-ish reasons last month but might try getting back. That was a bad choice and I regret it immensely :smith:

Do week 1 again to get the feel for it and be casual. I've done c25k before so part of my reluctance is having to start from square 1 knowing how far I used to be able to go. But I've just picked it up again and I forgot how good it was for my mental health. I put on some music and zone out, after I feel the good kind of tired and not the bad and maybe the world isn't so poo poo after all

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I made a big song and dance about not going back to the gym but real talk am probably going to cave when they reopen

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I did exactly this. I made sure the next place I moved into had a garage then hosed off the gym membership and bought a cage and weights.

Yeahhhhhh buddy. Lightweight baby.

I have a barbell and 80kgs of weights so that's been scratching my exercise itch. I can't really afford anymore weight at the moment and i'm on the 1st floor of a flat so i couldn't risk deadlifting anything heavy but it's been okay. I think having to clean everything is actually making me fitter.

if i get a garage i'd probably get a cage so i could back squat. i loving hate front squats.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Natalie Fartman posted:

Do week 1 again to get the feel for it and be casual. I've done c25k before so part of my reluctance is having to start from square 1 knowing how far I used to be able to go. But I've just picked it up again and I forgot how good it was for my mental health. I put on some music and zone out, after I feel the good kind of tired and not the bad and maybe the world isn't so poo poo after all

If I was able to run/walk by myself that would be really nice but "personal space" is severely lacking right now unless I move out and it's whole another mental can of worms I'm reluctant to open. I think I'll pop a glass of gin&t now :smith:

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

hemale in pain posted:

if i get a garage i'd probably get a cage so i could back squat. i loving hate front squats.
I too lift indoors and my home gym setup uses squat stands for squats instead of a full rack. They're cheaper and have the advantage of taking up less space when not in use, but it's less than ideal since you have no safetys so you just have to make sure you only attempt reps that you're 99% sure you can make.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

hemale in pain posted:

I have a barbell and 80kgs of weights so that's been scratching my exercise itch. I can't really afford anymore weight at the moment and i'm on the 1st floor of a flat so i couldn't risk deadlifting anything heavy but it's been okay. I think having to clean everything is actually making me fitter.

Haha, being forced not to just drop stuff definitely helps. I had a trainer years ago who wouldn't let me drop anything because he said it was cheating and I've definitely kept that mindset. And the cage is probably the best investment in terms of fitness I've ever made, being able to just walk into the workshop, blast some tunes and lift stuff for a couple of hours at my own pace is bliss.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

resistance training restaurant, this is my million dollar idea

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
What would you want if you were one?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

basically my exact life now but i never go to work. my primary interest is bottom shelf whiskey, which is not costly. also i do not want to move as all my stuff is here

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

hemale in pain posted:

I made a 2m x 2m platform out of a couple layers of plywood and MDF so I could lift in my 1st floor flat. So far it has held up to 210kg romanian deadlifts without sending me crashing into the parking bay below.
Wouldn't want to do regular deadlifts on it though. Looking like I am going to be working from home for the rest of the year, so once I get confirmation I will be looking for houses with garages as I won't be going back to the gym for a while either.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I have a 107 concrete beams that I reckon are about 200kg each that need moving 200m if anyone fancies some free exercise.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Whipstickagostop posted:

I made a 2m x 2m platform out of a couple layers of plywood and MDF so I could lift in my 1st floor flat. So far it has held up to 210kg romanian deadlifts without sending me crashing into the parking bay below.
Wouldn't want to do regular deadlifts on it though. Looking like I am going to be working from home for the rest of the year, so once I get confirmation I will be looking for houses with garages as I won't be going back to the gym for a while either.

im not worried about the integrity of the floor but the neighbours below

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

hemale in pain posted:

im not worried about the integrity of the floor but the neighbours below

if they're not strong enough to catch 100kg falling through the floor and bash out a few solid reps to a good depth, you can just write "massive quilts" on the police report and they'll drop you off at whichever greggs you want

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

So I guess we're just expecting the virus to differentiate between a shop and a pub/restaurant and not infect people not wearing a mask in the latter. Got it.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Masks on at all times in pubs imo. Get people to start butt chugging their pints

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Mask uptake has been pretty good here in Edinburgh (at least in the bit where I live) - its gone from maybe 20% wearing masks in sainsburys before, to 80% now that they are mandatory.

I did go to the beer garden of the Pear Tree on Sunday (no indoor here yet), which was anxiety inducing but actually turned out well in the end. No masks at tables, but easily 2 meters space between tables , and folk wearing masks to the loos. Hand sanitiser everywhere too.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Are there any cool sci fi masks like star gate or whatever where it accordians out of my belt buckle in an impossible way to cover my face? with a HUD ideally?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Or one of those new flexible screens on it with a cg mouth on it that smiles and lip reads and stuff according to what I'm doing underneath so people can still tell what emotions I am feeling and not be weirded out by me.

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

my mum had a good rant to me on the phone last night about how mask wearing will make it even more difficult for her to go out because she's partially deaf. Having worse than average hearing myself I get it, talking mask to mask with someone AND having a screen between us has made hearing some people extremely difficult and I have to ask them to speak up. But my mum is also supposed to be shielding, so I felt like that was the least of the issues with this situation, a fact she did not appreciate. I guess I'm a hypocrite because I'm back at work and no longer shielding

Its all so loving complicated. I'm a wee bit sick of feeling like I'm over/underreacting to everything. I welcome the masks. I will not stand for anyone complaining about them in my company. I want to live.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i understand that problem and it's more legitimate than most but anyone would understand why you couldn't hear them in a mask and wouldn't take offense at being asked to talk louder so i don't think she should worry.

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

she's awkward x1000 in public and wouldn't ask people to speak up. She'd just take offense that they didn't.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Just write "I am partially deaf" on the front of her mask

Or alternatively

"I should be shielding right now"

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Everyone should get masks that can automatically turn what you are saying into a scrolling LED sign type thing

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

daft punk helmets that project emojis on the front

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
She's prime for a face shield. Can you wear one and not a mask and get away with it?

And you can write "deaf" on the shield headband

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

My Goatse masks have arrived

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

turn on your monitor

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

test

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Ratjaculation posted:

My Goatse masks have arrived

From a distance you'd look permanently surprised. And from closer so would anyone seeing you.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Or one of those new flexible screens on it with a cg mouth on it that smiles and lip reads and stuff according to what I'm doing underneath so people can still tell what emotions I am feeling and not be weirded out by me.

?

https://twitter.com/TylerGlaiel/status/1265035386109128704?s=20

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Yes! Now we're talking.

Maybe though i dont even need the top half of my face, cover that up too. Then we could all hold our phones up to each other and use AR to replot my actual face (or a better one) over my masked face. Or just wear my VR headset with the phone in everywhere. It could superimpose live covid risk factor above eveyones head as to how careful their app thought they had been so I could avoid the superspreaders.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i read a article about how the world population is gonna start declining because people are getting smart and not having kids. it was trying to make it sound like a bad thing because there won't be enough young people to look after all the old people lmao

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
I keep approaching tables and ask if they need more booze and because of the face mask they don't hear me ask and just look at me like I'm looming over their table for some mysterious purpose like there's more than one reason for a waitress to be wandering around the bar.

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

hemale in pain posted:

i read a article about how the world population is gonna start declining because people are getting smart and not having kids. it was trying to make it sound like a bad thing because there won't be enough young people to look after all the old people lmao

I mean, we do need a decline but if its too fast we all suffer, except the very rich.

Educated Smart people not having kids has been a thing for a while. Its only them poors who keep popping out children for a meal ticket now, soon we will descend into idiocracy

I can't leave it at that, people might think i was being serious, gently caress

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

hemale in pain posted:

finally a topic i actually know stuff about

who wants an :effort: discussion

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Me. I do

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's ok, we just leave covid around and nobody survives more than a few winters after their 70th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

It may not surprise you to learn that the conclusion they reach is Yes, anything is possible when your vast hell engine is adequately greased with the blood of the poor