Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Its reputation is overblown but it's true that its runtime hurts it. Beautiful cinematography by Vilmos and the story is still super relevant to today.

EDIT:

derp, another page snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's gorgeous and has some really interesting parts, particularly the depiction of the west as crowded, but the script is agonizingly barren. Pauline Kael said that "there's no observation in it", which is what makes it such a grind to sit through. If it were shorter, the goofy, flimsy characters might be fun, but a script that's three and a half hours long can't give its characters placeholder dialogue.

Pick up Gates of Heaven instead. It's the best movie about dead animals ever made!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

more like pick up Days of Heaven instead :blastu:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

How about Days Of Thunder?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I Before E posted:

How about Days Of Thunder?

:ocelot:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I'm debating picking up Heaven's Gate. I know the stories about it being a bloated mess, but I remember reading an essay years ago that praised it. Anyone know if it's worth watching?

Worth watching once just to see what went wrong, but not worth owning IMO.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Bruce Lee set is currently available to order online again

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-bruce-lee-his-greatest-hits/34875901?ean=0715515247214

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I've only watched Big Boss and Fist of Fury so far but they both looked fantastic(Fist of Fury especially). I'm realizing that most of these movies, with the exception of Enter the Dragon, I've only seen in really lovely quality and so they're all gonna be massive upgrades from what I was used to when I watched them growing up.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Hopefully it's still available come pay day.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I'm debating picking up Heaven's Gate. I know the stories about it being a bloated mess, but I remember reading an essay years ago that praised it. Anyone know if it's worth watching?

It's not as bad as it's made out to be, but nor is it a hidden masterpiece. There's a lot of story points that just feel incomplete - like the stuff with John Hurt.

There's also a lot of sequences where it could have ended five minutes earlier - like the roller skating scene with that loving fiddler who just fiddles forever.

It's frustrating because there is a good film in there, but God knows it still needs a lot of work.

Frankly, I rather watch an interesting failure than boring mediocrity, and this is an interesting failure.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Many thanks for the recommendations. I ended up grabbing Now, Voyager, Swing Time, The Awful Truth, and Dragon Inn, which I completely forgot I wanted. I'll probably pick up A Matter of Life and Death and Sullivan's Travels just before the sale ends, but I really gotta start spacing these boutique video sales out. :shepspends:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Snagged Portrait of a Lady on Fire as it was back in stock online, as well as Haxan.

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer
Got the Bruce Lee boxset, Tokyo Drifter, and Tokyo Olympiad. The last two are blind guys, but I figured it can’t hurt to try something new.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Foam Monkey posted:

Got the Bruce Lee boxset, Tokyo Drifter, and Tokyo Olympiad. The last two are blind guys, but I figured it can’t hurt to try something new.

I remember Tokyo Drifter being pretty good but thinking Branded to Kill was better. It's been years though, so I need to re-watch both.

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I remember Tokyo Drifter being pretty good but thinking Branded to Kill was better. It's been years though, so I need to re-watch both.

Is Branded to Kill on the Channel? I’m at work or I’d check, because I’ll toss that on my watch list too.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Foam Monkey posted:

Is Branded to Kill on the Channel? I’m at work or I’d check, because I’ll toss that on my watch list too.

Yes it is, with three supplemental interviews.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Branded to Kill owns, it's one of my all time favorites. Tokyo Drifter is really good too. I've never seen anything by Suzuki that I didn't enjoy. Looks like Take Aim at the Police Van is on the channel too, that's fun too although not on the same level as the other two.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Unobstructed View sale is live so I stocked up with my tastes leaning towards the fantastical.

-Bruce Lee
-Polyester
-The Lure
-A Matter of Life and Death
-Grand Budapest Hotel

I really want to upgrade a bunch of my old DVDs and Blus (the aforementioned Branded to Kill, Army of Shadows, Naked Lunch, Blue Velvet, The Vanishing) but that means I have to keep spending money! Maybe I should cave and get a Criterion channel subscription.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Looks like October's movies are:

Parasite
The Hit
The Gunfighter
Claudine
Pierrot le fou (re-release)

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Does Criterion have any plans to start releasing in UHD? There's already a UHD version of Parasite out and depending on the transfer quality I'd tend to gravitate towards 4K over blu ray, special features be damned. Portrait of a Lady on Fire for example was filmed in 8k.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The gently caress is going on with that Parasite cover

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

morse code looks like

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Dope cover imo

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Escobarbarian posted:

It looks like they took the original cover and handed it off to one of those :effort: “minimalist movie poster” subreddits. It’s awful.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

It spells out Parasite in morse code. Pretty cool

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

I'm okay with it if it's a slipcover with the Morse code cut out.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, I really like it.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

morse code looks like
Also stairs :coal:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Cacator posted:

Does Criterion have any plans to start releasing in UHD? There's already a UHD version of Parasite out and depending on the transfer quality I'd tend to gravitate towards 4K over blu ray, special features be damned. Portrait of a Lady on Fire for example was filmed in 8k.

Last I heard they said it was too niche. I imagine it'll have to happen at some point though as each year more 4K TVs are sold.

Escobarbarian posted:

Very similar to the A Woman Is a Woman cover.

https://www.criterion.com/films/854-a-woman-is-a-woman

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Zogo posted:

Last I heard they said it was too niche. I imagine it'll have to happen at some point though as each year more 4K TVs are sold.

Very similar to the A Woman Is a Woman cover.

https://www.criterion.com/films/854-a-woman-is-a-woman

Maybe when they finally phase out DVD, which will probably be 3-4 years still

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Maybe when they finally phase out DVD, which will probably be 3-4 years still

The cries of all the neckbeard Criterion collectors who stubbornly refused to upgrade to Bluray and stick with DVD releases. :getin:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VoodooXT posted:

The cries of all the neckbeard Criterion collectors who stubbornly refused to upgrade to Bluray and stick with DVD releases. :getin:

I'll admit that I like some of the original DVD art better, like the astonishingly good DVD cover of Andrei Rublev, but the beautiful seamless bluray menus are worth the upgrade alone, even if you were one of those weirdos who doesn't care about transfer quality. Also blurays are scratch-proof! About the only criterion I've intentionally purchased on DVD in the last 5 years was the Les Blank set, because I knew I'd be taking it around to different people's houses that might not have blu ray players.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

About the only criterion I've intentionally purchased on DVD in the last 5 years was the Les Blank set, because I knew I'd be taking it around to different people's houses that might not have blu ray players.

This is the reason why Criterion should've just ignored the neckbeards and stuck with the dual format editions.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

I'll admit that I like some of the original DVD art better, like the astonishingly good DVD cover of Andrei Rublev, but the beautiful seamless bluray menus are worth the upgrade alone, even if you were one of those weirdos who doesn't care about transfer quality. Also blurays are scratch-proof! About the only criterion I've intentionally purchased on DVD in the last 5 years was the Les Blank set, because I knew I'd be taking it around to different people's houses that might not have blu ray players.

I completely disagree with you about Andrei Rubelev, the DVD box art was like something you'd order from an educational catalog.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cloks posted:

I completely disagree with you about Andrei Rubelev, the DVD box art was like something you'd order from an educational catalog.

I love it, it has a sublime quality and looks like an icon painting. It's like a mix between orthodox and pagan symbolism, which is fitting for the history of the overall culture.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

i want them to release an upgrade of the furies

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
i can’t wait to rebuy all of my criterion blu rays in 4k for seventy dollars each

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ham_sanitizer posted:

i can’t wait to rebuy all of my criterion blu rays in 4k for seventy dollars each

I just don't really see the draw. I have no need of a 4K tv. Many of my local cinemas still project in 2k, including the one I work at. You can project a 2k criterion blu ray transfer on a 50 foot screen and it looks totally fine. The jump from 2k to 4k looks like bigtime diminishing returns unless the specific viewing environment calls for it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I just don't really see the draw. I have no need of a 4K tv. Many of my local cinemas still project in 2k, including the one I work at. You can project a 2k criterion blu ray transfer on a 50 foot screen and it looks totally fine. The jump from 2k to 4k looks like bigtime diminishing returns unless the specific viewing environment calls for it.

it's not really about the extra resolution for 4k, it's about getting hdr. it's definitely nothing like the jump to hd from dvd though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

ham_sanitizer posted:

Nah, just keep your ol' HD Blurays and have your player upscale them, they look completely fine. Just buy the UHD Blurays you don't own.