Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Bust Rodd posted:

He’s already started losing contracts from this, his new Batman got given to someone else.

Typically how does Netflix handle these things? Did they even pull Louie’s stand-up specials?

I’m not saying he’s irreplaceable but if they don’t find precisely the right person to keep the characters true then this could just suck.

The big example I can think of is Kevin Spacey basically got booted and House of Cards continued without him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Did it, though? I sure couldn't muster a single gently caress to give about a political thriller whose protagonist disappeared for the final seasons.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Or just move on and follow the other Castlevania characters.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If you're going to completely drop the cast and all the plot that been built up to this point why even bother

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There's also a lot to be said for the studio whose producing this, all of those incredibly talented and devoted people shouldn't lose their jobs because the writer is a shitheel. Like with Louis the shuttered him on FX because he was basically the entire show, he wrote and edited and directed etc. Ellis is just one piece of the puzzle, unfortunately his name is on the box.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
ellis isn't the only decent writer in the world, just hire someone else and keep going

i guess the feel of the writing will change but as long as the new person still makes the story interesting who cares :shrug:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I love the show but it's not like there's anything in the material that screams "Oh man only Warren Ellis can write this".

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I kinda disagree with that. Ellis is a pretty unique writer, or at least part of a very specific type of British comic writers (let's call him comparable in style to Grant Morrison or Alan Moore even though they're still very different). It's part of why the show is as weird and atypical as it is for a video game adaptation - and changing that would be a huge loss in my opinion. This is not to say I'm defending Ellis or that I would argue against him leaving the project, or that someone else couldn't do a great job, but I don't think we have to deny that the show in large part worked up until now due to the writing. It is what it is.

I've already talked about how much I loved the scene at the fireplace with the bug guy and something like that feels specifically very Ellis to me, if you are familiar with his work.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 23, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ellis’s voice comes out through the hundreds of tiny lines and details and “off-the-cuff” remarks the characters mutter under their breath. I don’t doubt that someone could hit the same basic dialogue beats but the overall tone and humor of the show are absolutely a distinctly Ellis experience...

For better or for worse... I mean the horny Japanese twins was a terrible plotline that was also 100% Ellis and while it certainly drove home that Luc is lonely and going a bit mad all alone, there are 50 other directions that could’ve gone and the show wouldn’t have been weaker for it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, Ellis has a series of preoccupations and a writing style that's very clearly his -- I've only read a few of his things (Trees, Planetarium, The Wild Storm), but I'm pretty sure I could identify if a comic was by him if I picked it up and flicked through a few pages.

He's interested in tactics and combat, but he meshes that with a very literary bent. He's also sparse with his dialogue, and like long scenes of silent action. When people do talk it tends to be fairly important and pithy. His work is high concept, but largely character driven (compare with, say, Alan Moore, who's more plot driven than character driven) and he's a very methodical plotter (Morrison is not this).

He's got a clear voice, is what I'm saying.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I reckon they'll remove his name from the intro and have him keep doing it for season 4 but keep it quiet and maybe get ready to move on in season 5.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Bust Rodd posted:

Ellis’s voice comes out through the hundreds of tiny lines and details and “off-the-cuff” remarks the characters mutter under their breath. I don’t doubt that someone could hit the same basic dialogue beats but the overall tone and humor of the show are absolutely a distinctly Ellis experience...

For better or for worse... I mean the horny Japanese twins was a terrible plotline that was also 100% Ellis and while it certainly drove home that Luc is lonely and going a bit mad all alone, there are 50 other directions that could’ve gone and the show wouldn’t have been weaker for it.

listen as long as the new writer keeps giving Alucard hot guys to gently caress (or get hosed by i guess) its all good

just don't have it always end in murder, that wasn't sexy IMO

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

RottenK posted:

listen as long as the new writer keeps giving Alucard hot guys to gently caress (or get hosed by i guess) its all good

just don't have it always end in murder, that wasn't sexy IMO

:same:

He can have some hot girls and hot persons of indeterminate gender too, Alucard just deserves to be happy okay

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Alucard being a dainty twink bottom is the strong bisexual representation I never knew I craved

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

More details on the Warren Ellis situation.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Has Netflix said anything about the future of the show yet?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wait a couple more months until everyone forgets and then move forward like normal?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Jesus Christ they started their own web forum and it has 60 members good lord

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
who started a web forum

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RottenK posted:

who started a web forum

Women Ellis was using.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

edit: beaten

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
oh drat

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I know the folktale, but what's a Bluebeard? I'm assuming Ellis isn't literally marrying and murdering women.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Thundercracker posted:

I know the folktale, but what's a Bluebeard? I'm assuming Ellis isn't literally marrying and murdering women.

wikipedia posted:

The notoriety of the tale is such that Merriam-Webster gives the word "Bluebeard" the definition of "a man who marries and kills one wife after another," and the verb "bluebearding" has even appeared as a way to describe the crime of either killing a series of women, or seducing and abandoning a series of women.[5]

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Darth Walrus posted:

Women Ellis was using.

Took me a couple takes not to read that as 'Warren Ellis was using' and get confused.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I had no idea being a comic book guy could pull so well.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Solice Kirsk posted:

I had no idea being a comic book guy could pull so well.

The trick is careful aggro management through methodical investment of the Nebbish skill tree

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

multijoe posted:

If you're going to completely drop the cast and all the plot that been built up to this point why even bother

Castlevania has always been an anthology. Alucard's the only consistent character. The rest are all various Belmont descendants, and later, distant relatives.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

Castlevania has always been an anthology. Alucard's the only consistent character. The rest are all various Belmont descendants, and later, distant relatives.

Eh, its been one since 3. Most games were about Simon but they kept dipping into the past and then Symphony of the Night took over.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Panfilo posted:

The trick is careful aggro management through methodical investment of the Nebbish skill tree

:hmmyes:

Makes sense. I knew dumping so many points into charisma before level 28 was stupid. Maybe I should respec once I hit level 40.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Darko posted:

Eh, its been one since 3. Most games were about Simon but they kept dipping into the past and then Symphony of the Night took over.

Always a little weird since Simon has the full on barbarbian hero thing going and his ancestors actually seem more modern.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Apparently he had the same script for literally hundreds of young vulnerable women he would hit up. Its some gross loving PUA that depended more on sheer numbers than anything else.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It's always crazy to me how these writers/storytellers can't connect the characters they've created to their own actions.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Reading that one post calling his method and "assembly line of women" just like so tiring. Like he must get off on the plan more than the act cuz that sounded like a logistical nightmare.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I used to hang out with this really awful PUA DJ in philly in my 20's (over 10 years ago). He would tell me about the spreadsheets he had to coordinate his 20+ different hook ups and it seemed totally insane. He moved to Vegas and the last time I ever heard about him was when someone wrote an article about how there was this new face in the PUA scene who had reduced women to a system of variables and the greater PUA community basically told him to stop posting because he was too mask-off and generally creeping out some of the more diehard fans by how inhuman and hosed up he had become.

LMAO Jesus Christ I found the article

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-pickup-artist-too-sleazy-for-pickup-artists

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Bust Rodd posted:

I used to hang out with this really awful PUA DJ in philly in my 20's (over 10 years ago). He would tell me about the spreadsheets he had to coordinate his 20+ different hook ups and it seemed totally insane. He moved to Vegas and the last time I ever heard about him was when someone wrote an article about how there was this new face in the PUA scene who had reduced women to a system of variables and the greater PUA community basically told him to stop posting because he was too mask-off and generally creeping out some of the more diehard fans by how inhuman and hosed up he had become.

LMAO Jesus Christ I found the article

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-pickup-artist-too-sleazy-for-pickup-artists

article posted:

On one night in May, as part of his routine, Mulvehill walked a reluctant young woman from Caesar’s Palace to his car, according to an arrest report. Once there, according to the report, the Casanova pulled her into the back seat of his black Pontiac, then locked the doors so she couldn’t escape and tossed away her phone so she couldn’t continue to text her friends.
:stare:

Well...I can't imagine the story getting wors- oh my god it does...

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Darko posted:

There are like 25 canon Castlevania games, and Simon isn't even close to being in most of them. 1 & 2 were Simon, 4 was a reboot.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

There are like 25 canon Castlevania games, and Simon isn't even close to being in most of them. 1 & 2 were Simon, 4 was a reboot.

Before SOTN, you had multiple versions of Castlevania 1, including arcade and MSX, and Castlevania 2 on the NES, with Simon also being the guest star in Captain N (which also features a hilarious Alucard). 3 decided to do a prequel and the Gameboy games did their weird thing, but thenn 4 jumped right back to Simon.

Bloodlines and X came out and did their own 3 styled thing with different paths and characters, but it was SOTN going full Metroid and bringing Alucard back (and being really popular) that kind of shifted everything over.

This might be an age thing too, its different growing up in the 80s, playing 1 - 3 and reading Nintendo Powers over the years about a main character as opposed to going back and playing and such without the actual time spent and seeing 1, 2, 4, and things like Rebirth as just random blips. We spent 86 - 93 with it always coming back to Simon, and then instead of going back after Bloodlines/X, it went into a new direction entirely in 97 and never came back.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It was announced today that Ellis won’t be returning to the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
[Pokes around Internet]

But he did get to finish writing S4. So unless the plan is to to erase him from it immediately, he's got one season to set up a hand-off and wrap up as many plot lines about femdom vampires that he can.