Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

It is a cool vibe and usually has some great powder. Honestly I would never drive there from further than Houghton unless you know it is going to nuke. It is a real mountain though, with real glades, just don't expect to steep lines. If you are say 6-8 hours away it is worth getting there on a powder weekend, staying at one of the cabins, and just partying.

I see this:

quote:

Vertical 900 ft

and I wonder. But yeah, now I live back east again and :effort:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

bawfuls posted:

I would also caution against expectations of major resorts opening fully this winter in the US. Your small local hill might be able to survive on just lift tickets and sparse skiers, but the big places all require high density holidays with tons of people packed into the lodge paying for overpriced food and booze to maintain their bottom line.

Unfortunately I won't probably be in the mountains anymore because I'm betting on this being the case.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

I see this:

I would not go if you are not close.

Some thing to think about is how often do you actually ski runs over 1000'. Just as an example that is the same vert as 6 chair in Breck. I lap that thing all the time. It is still the midwest though so you also need to consider all that as well.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

spwrozek posted:

Some thing to think about is how often do you actually ski runs over 1000'. Just as an example that is the same vert as 6 chair in Breck. I lap that thing all the time. It is still the midwest though so you also need to consider all that as well.

While that's true, I have to say being able to lap 3,000 feet at somewhere like Whiteface is pretty dope.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

LostCosmonaut posted:

While that's true, I have to say being able to lap 3,000 feet at somewhere like Whiteface is pretty dope.

Oh for sure.

If you don't live within 2-3 hours of Bohemia it is not worth going.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Residency Evil posted:

I see this:

For Michigan its pretty amazing vert.

Michigan being geologically speaking a dried up mudpuddle.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

I just think back to early March where I lapped High Noon like ten times in a day. 1800 feet at a time. :sigh:

LostCosmonaut posted:

Haven't been to White Face in a while. Is it always icy AF?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

spwrozek posted:

Oh for sure.

If you don't live within 2-3 hours of Bohemia it is not worth going.

Yeah it's especially true these days. Any snow in the forecast and the place gets pretty packed, 10-15 years ago sounds like a different story.

It's a mismanaged dangerously jank aggro sausage party. I love the actual skiing when the conditions are good but only go occasionally.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Spime Wrangler posted:

Yeah it's especially true these days. Any snow in the forecast and the place gets pretty packed, 10-15 years ago sounds like a different story.

It's a mismanaged dangerously jank aggro sausage party. I love the actual skiing when the conditions are good but only go occasionally.

Oh yeah, in 04, 05 a "busy day" was maybe 100 people. You could ride powder for days.

The season pass is so cheap that it is worth getting if you are near by and getting a powder day in mid week a few times.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Residency Evil posted:

I just think back to early March where I lapped High Noon like ten times in a day. 1800 feet at a time. :sigh:

Haven't been to White Face in a while. Is it always icy AF?

It's not quite as bad as its reputation, but it does get icy at times, especially late in the day.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Thanks for convincing bawfuls not to move to bend everyone, too many people already. To reiterate what others said, not super cheap or anything (I think median home price is around 350k), and kinda out in the middle on nowhere central oregon (could be a positive depending). Though I would say the economy is growing pretty fast (well was precovid) and it isn't like it's hard to find entertainment.

I've only been skiing Bachelor for around 6 years but I like the mountain quite a bit. It can get crowded on weekends but that is why you just buy a midweek pass and do laps to your hearts content with the retirees at 11am on a thursday.

Speaking of today was the deadline for cheaper season passes got my midweek for 550 after applying the voucher they gave passholders.

Stanky Bean fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 16, 2020

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bend/Redmond has been the fastest growing part of Oregon pretty much the entire time I’ve lived in here. A midweek pass is great if you live there. I’ve heard “yeah, I roll in to work at 11:30 on pow days” from so many people. I’d probably opt for the year round subscription now if I lived there. Was actually thinking about jumping on it this spring before Japan 2021 was in the cards.

However, if you’re a computer toucher that wants an outdoor lifestyle, there are lots of data centers on the east side of the Cascades. Prineville and The Dallas aren’t mountain towns, but cost of living is relatively cheap and there are definitely great turns to be had within a 90 minute drive.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Is a median home price of $350k supposed to discourage me? That’s half what it is here, and probably well less than half what it is in Jackson.

This is a long term vision and I need to visit some of these places with my partner. Maybe 3 years from now when the pandemic has run its course idk.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Oh yeah definitely cheaper than some similar resorty places, though I was off by 100k, it was 444k back in May. Indeed come and visit sometime, its nice.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

highme posted:

Bend/Redmond has been the fastest growing part of Oregon pretty much the entire time I’ve lived in here. A midweek pass is great if you live there. I’ve heard “yeah, I roll in to work at 11:30 on pow days” from so many people. I’d probably opt for the year round subscription now if I lived there. Was actually thinking about jumping on it this spring before Japan 2021 was in the cards.

However, if you’re a computer toucher that wants an outdoor lifestyle, there are lots of data centers on the east side of the Cascades. Prineville and The Dallas aren’t mountain towns, but cost of living is relatively cheap and there are definitely great turns to be had within a 90 minute drive.

I live in The Dalles and the trip to Meadows is only about an hour and fifteen minutes or so, hour and a half with bad weather. I work at the data center here, but not as a computer toucher. If anyone is interested in working at the data center drop me a line and I can help with interview prep or a referral. We have computer toucher jobs, but most of the jobs are actually facilities and critical infrastructure, or project management related.

highme
May 25, 2001

sidenote: I have absolutely no idea what goes on at a data center besides clouds come from them.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Crossposting this from the gif thread:

https://i.imgur.com/tkuLxoD.mp4

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

how do i make pizza slice in my tank send help

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Crossposting this from the gif thread:

https://i.imgur.com/tkuLxoD.mp4
holidays-at-vail.mov

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Fifty Three posted:

holidays-at-vail.mov

Not even a joke

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

I got some turns this morning at radio beacon. Not entirely sure the skiing was worth it, but the views, solitude, and sunrise were all top notch. If I'd had more time waiting for the snow to soften a little would've been a good plan. Ah well. No pics unfortunately.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Here is another sweet skiing video, this time with no CGI, but it does include the littlest shredder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21XBFaG5zGY

Preview below

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 18, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Hi skiing thread! I'm one of the temporary mods of The Great Outdoors. Before we rebranded take a hike to its current form there was a bunch of discussion about how best to keep up activity in the forum. One of the things that was brought up is that there is a ton of interest in outdoors activity, but its scattered across multiple forums. A/T had its own fishing thread, AI had threads on boats, sailboat racing and offroading, TFR had its hunting thread and YLLS of course has a number of threads on biking, skiing, backpacking, hiking and rockclimbing. All activities and threads that would be a wonderful fit with a new outdoors forum. The problem that we felt we had would be getting posters from those old established threads interested in posting in the new forum.

Of course, just moving the thread would do the trick, but some posters don't want the thread outside of the culture of the forum it was started in which we understand. This is why I've been going around to different threads and asking them how they feel on it. The A/T fishing thread got moved to TGO and merged with the fishing thread that had been made when take a hike was still opened as an RSF after the fishing goons agreed that the discussion belonged in TGO. The AI threads have elected to stay in AI, but the boat and sailboat threads agreed that a thread for general boating adventures in TGO would be a good idea with the AI threads being more of a "Lets fix what broke on our boating adventure" thread for the boat thread and the sailboat racing thread staying as it is closer to racing cars that outdoor adventures. The TFR hunting thread decided that a TGO thread focusing on the actual hunting and outdoors aspect of hunting running alongside the existing TFR thread for gun recommendations and setup was the way to go. DIY has been having discussions with its gardening and plant threads about where they want to be. This is all fine and cool too! If you feel your thread is better suited to staying in YLLS because it has more of an exercise vibe than an outdoors activity vibe, then I'm cool with it staying in YLLS. In the end its entirely up to the posters of each thread where they feel they would be most at home.

I should mention that this isn't just the normal RSF deal of "Hey, lets just make the forum and see what happens". Rather this is a go of making it an actual home on the forums for outdoors activities. I want to make it an easy source for information and discussion on these topics where any goon feels comfortable coming in and posting about it. Before they had to fiddle with a broken search system or hop from forum to forum trying to find where the op of a thread felt they were most comfortable starting the thread. I think we can all agree that wasn't the most ideal way to do it. As for the culture of the forum, well that's still developing. My hope and what I'd like to see is something close to what AI has where if AI is a bunch of goons in a garage bullshitting, TGO is a bunch of goons around a campfire bullshitting. Just a relaxed place to go for information and chat with your new posting friends about a subject you enjoy.

I have seen some concerns about what happens if the forum fails to drum up activity and it was already decided that we would be moving threads to wherever most suits them. Threads that already came from a certain forum would go back to that forum. My belief is that if we can get the big long running threads from various forums into TGO or at least have parallel threads, it stands an extremely good shot of working and can even have new posters come to those threads that may not have known about them before! I mean, if we can have an active subforum about fast food, I figure we can manage a halfway active forum about going outdoors, right? :unsmith:

If you got this far, I wanna thank you for reading through my long winded :words: and look forward to seeing how you feel about this subject. Hopefully we get to hang out in the great outdoors together. :radcat:

tldr: lemme know how you feel about hanging out with us in an awesome new forum.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Obviously I can't speak for anyone else but the move would be fine with me. I pretty much use the forums by finding threads I like and adding them to my favorites list, and then browse via user control panel. I will occasionally look through some other forums for some things of interest, but I generally only have the capability to follow only so many threads, and they live in my UCP. To that end the change won't impact me at all and if you think it is a good idea to move the thread you have my personal blessing. :)

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I don't mind if the thread moves so long as we have long enough notice that some of the less frequent posters don't lose the thread, but my main concern is change in moderation. This thread has basically needed zero moderation for years, and the last thing we need is heavy handed moderation by a mod/admin that's never participated or even read the thread or possiblely doesn't participate in winter sports at all.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yuns posted:

I don't mind if the thread moves so long as we have long enough notice that some of the less frequent posters don't lose the thread, but my main concern is change in moderation. This thread has basically needed zero moderation for years, and the last thing we need is heavy handed moderation by a mod/admin that's never participated or even read the thread or possiblely doesn't participate in winter sports at all.

This is my opinion.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

What could be more on-brand for this thread than a change in ownership?

Move it, says I. But also what Yuns said.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 19, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yuns posted:

The EV thread is not a good indicator of how I prefer to mod things if thats your concern. I usually feel a post in a thread is usually enough, a 6 hour probe if someone just needs to chill out for a bit. I also won't be the only mod, plus there are 3 iks that have been a part of that forum since take a hike was started if you'd feel more comfortable with one of them watching over the thread. Once the forum is established and has its own community forming, both me and jaded burnout will be stepping away from modding TGO in favor of a mod from that community. :shobon:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Moderating threads that you don't read comes with the territory I'm afraid, but I can tell you that you'd likely never see me unless you have some sort of serious dust up about what ski boots are better (I know it sounds like I'm making up a petty example there but I've seen more over less).

Keeping the peace is what we're all about, and as e80 says we'll be moving on once TGO is established and new local mods are found.

If this thread doesn't devolve into fights and doesn't get political (because that devolves into fights) then I can't see any intervention happening. I can't speak for everyone but I can pretty much guarantee I won't look in here again until someone (who presumably does read the thread and do winter sports) makes a report.

Edit: oh and if you don't like it we can always move you back. Moving threads is really trivial.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 19, 2020

highme
May 25, 2001

I’m all for moving the thread to an outdoor forum. Especially if that means I can finally get away from ski boot chat. 👀

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah just go ahead and move it, hopefully we pick up some more posters

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Agreed that moving it is fine.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I eagerly await this outdoor subforum by the way. Camping and water skiing and making plans and whatnot.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Sure, moving it is fine with me

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Jaded Burnout posted:

... ski boots are better ...

Obviously the answer is snowboard boots are better.

Look what you started!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
As an infrequent poster that pretty much just uses bookmarks, a move doesn’t really change anything for me as far as this thread at least. But being in an outdoor forum should make it easier to find other stuff (...I don’t even remember how I found this thread :iiam:), and presumably break out into some smaller specific topics.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

japtor posted:

As an infrequent poster that pretty much just uses bookmarks, a move doesn’t really change anything for me as far as this thread at least. But being in an outdoor forum should make it easier to find other stuff (...I don’t even remember how I found this thread :iiam:), and presumably break out into some smaller specific topics.

We used to be in GBS for the first couple months of the season and then moved to YLLS for the remainder. Then GBS became terrible and we just made new threads in YLLS. Now we just don't even bother with new threads.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

We used to be in GBS for the first couple months of the season and then moved to YLLS for the remainder. Then GBS became terrible and we just made new threads in YLLS. Now we just don't even bother with new threads.

2020 doesn't deserve a thread

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Eejit posted:

2020 doesn't deserve a thread

Neither did 19-20 aparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Neither did 19-20 aparently
Joke's on you, I got my single annual weekend ski trip in before the world shut down. :smug:

(I'm fine with moving it but admittedly I'm not a big contributor, it took me forever to find this thread because I never thought to look in YLLS in the first place)