Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I have the 4k Halloween and I keep getting tempted to throw it on. Maybe even this weekend.

Halloween's basically cancelled this year* anyway, so might as well just do seasonal anarchy for the rest of the year.

*Spirit Halloween issued a statement that they're not opening stores this seasons, and will have online purchases only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

now where will i get my last minute costumes to sit in the middle of the party and get drunk in now?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium posted:

now where will i get my last minute costumes to sit in the middle of the party and get drunk in now?

If you're going to a Halloween party this year, you're going to catch the COVID

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Don't talk poo poo about Spirit Halloween, they're doing God's Satan's work of keeping plastic skeletons and rubber bats relevant.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

Don't talk poo poo about Spirit Halloween, they're doing God's Satan's work of keeping plastic skeletons and rubber bats relevant.

I like Spirit, but my local Meijer's Halloween section tends to be about 1/3 of a Spirit, and I don't have to drive 20 minutes to get there :shrug:

On many occasions my roommate has bought plastic spiders or whatnot there in an attempt to prank me only for it to end up spooking her instead. It's kind of hilarious.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My Halloween season is 99% centered around watching movies and reading the Challenge thread here anyway so I won't really be effected.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Iron Crowned posted:

If you're going to a Halloween party this year, you're going to catch the COVID

by party I mean sitting alone in my living room in a pickle rick costume drinking the moonshine ive bottled in my apartment tub.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

My Halloween season is 99% centered around watching movies and reading the Challenge thread here anyway so I won't really be effected.

I get hundreds of trick-or-treaters every year, and last year it was a group effort where my close friends all came over in costumes and drank beers and handed out candy and while I scared kids. I played creepy music like John Carpenter's Lost Themes and Goblin (especially the Tenebrae theme) and it ruled; got a lot of compliments for the music.

We were really looking forward to doing it again this year. :( My Christmas present from my best friend was a fog machine because we didn't have one for the Halloween decorations.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I basically threw my seasonal viewing habits out the window because of the pandemic(with the exception of Halloween/October stuff of course). I watched Dr. Zhivago the other day when it was 90 degrees outside, I usually never do that.

After watching the extended cut of the Hateful Eight in a ~100 degree house, I'm going to have to agree with this statement.

I thought watching a snowy, cool movie would have a psychosomatic effect if I smoked enough. Dead wrong. Steaming coffee and stew are cruel, disgusting jokes when you are sweating yourself out of existence.

There's a seasons for everything. I should have gone with 12 years a Slave.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

nothing like 12 Years a Slave to get you in that mood.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium posted:

by party I mean sitting alone in my living room in a pickle rick costume drinking the moonshine ive bottled in my apartment tub.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Finally this is the year when all my friends will come to me for horror movie recommendations instead of badgering me about going out.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Oh hell yeah Maniac Cop 1-3 just dropped on Shudder.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Is 3 worth watching if I didn't like the first two?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Is 3 worth watching if I didn't like the first two?

I mean I'd say life's not worth living if you didn't like the first two Maniac Cops so I dunno?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Maniac Cop 2 is amazing. I’ve heard the third is the worst in the series so I’m not going to bother with that one, given that I thought the first one was pretty boring.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ehud posted:

well Alison Brie is Dave Franco's wife so hopefully he didn't have to call in too many favors to get her in the cast :D

I legit didn't know that! I hope he's giving up the D to Toby Huss too because I'm still mad about how much he's wasted in this thing. Thinking about it today and the movie doesn't even really attempt to say anything, it's just stuff that happens.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

I mean I'd say life's not worth living if you didn't like the first two Maniac Cops so I dunno?

:hmmyes:

I love the first two (especially the second) but haven't gotten around to the third because the common wisdom is that there's a quality dropoff.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I watched all 3 Maniac Cops a couple of weeks ago.

Origami Dali posted:

I watched the Maniac Cop trilogy last night for the first time in decades and had remembered nothing. The first was a solid low budget B movie. Nonsense plot, but fun enough, with a good cast. Part 2 was a big jump up in quality, and was an excellent genre pic. Sleazy, far better cinematography, the set pieces are great, Robert Davi owning it, and it's got a nice weird streak to it. Too bad they couldn't bring back Tom Atkins. The plot was still nonsense but who cares. Part 3 was a snoozer that forgot to include the Maniac Cop in a movie called Maniac Cop 3.

Sucked to afterward learn that Robert Davi is now James Woods 2.0.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Franchescanado posted:

I have the 4k Halloween and I keep getting tempted to throw it on. Maybe even this weekend.

Do it. It’s a decent transfer.

Is Jamie Lee Curtis the best final girl?

Also turn on the commentary to hear her and John Carpenter snark at each other for 90 minutes.

Edit- watching Nightmare 3, and forgot Laurence Fishburne was in it, credited as “Larry Fishburne”.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

*Spirit Halloween issued a statement that they're not opening stores this seasons, and will have online purchases only.

This actually bums me out so much. Ive gone to those cheesy stores every single year since I was a little kid :( As a kid I'd go to get costumes and as a teen/adult it was always fun to see the cool robot horror stuff they had. gently caress.

Anyway I watched Critters for the first time last night and I LOVED it but how the gently caress did that get away with being PG its brutal. My fav moment is when one of the critters turns to the other and goes OH gently caress!

Johnny Steel FOR LIFE!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

This actually bums me out so much. Ive gone to those cheesy stores every single year since I was a little kid :( As a kid I'd go to get costumes and as a teen/adult it was always fun to see the cool robot horror stuff they had. gently caress.

Anyway I watched Critters for the first time last night and I LOVED it but how the gently caress did that get away with being PG its brutal. My fav moment is when one of the critters turns to the other and goes OH gently caress!

Johnny Steel FOR LIFE!

Critters 2 is my favorite of the bunch, and you may even like 3 (I did). Haven't made time for 4 yet.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

There's also a 5th one that came out last year? Def going to binge these. It's like everything I wanted Gremlins to be and more!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How's the Critters series? Trailer looked promising but that was before I caught the first couple of flicks.

Also a reminder that Ghoulies 2 is better than any of the Critters movies.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

How's the Critters series? Trailer looked promising but that was before I caught the first couple of flicks.

Also a reminder that Ghoulies 2 is better than any of the Critters movies.

The Shudder series? I think I was literally the only person in this thread that liked it.

And I'm dumb as hell. :c00l:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Critters 2 is my favorite of the bunch, and you may even like 3 (I did). Haven't made time for 4 yet.

Critters 2 is Mick Garris’ best work.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Who tf is talkin poo poo about spirit.

I think I went to to a spirit store every single day it was opened last year.

I have no idea why bht I do not regret it now.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

Critters 2 is Mick Garris’ best work.

Agreed.

And while I try not to ever be "that" kinda guy, there is something infinitely charming--much like Rob Zombie showing off Sheri's sex appeal in every film--about Mick Garris not only doing a close-up on his wife's huge tits in Critters 2, but making a gag out of it.

Critters 2 is fun and goofy. It's a shame that Critters 3 kinda missed how gleeful 2 took the series.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 14, 2020

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
What about Psycho Cop 2? I was one of the few people laughing my rear end off when the same actor showed up as Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration on the Office.

Also, Robert Davi has been a delusional prick for decades, especially with his Sinatra obsession. Look up any interview with him and he'll go on and on about "So this person told me I'm the only person to sing as well as Frank" which must piss off Joe Piscopo.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
My bedroom is p much a Spirit Halloween display booth, except I'd rather pulverize my left nut than let some brat get snot all over any of my glow-in-the-dark skeletons.

They are my audience.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm lucky enough to live in a city with a year-round halloween shop so I have my spooky needs met at all times. Any store that sells spooky stuff any time of the year should be commended. Support your local purveyor of laughing plastic skulls and bottles of fake blood. If that's Spirit then so be it, but hitting up a mom-and-pop shop for decorations feels ideal.

That being said, most of my halloween decorations are mid-century or reproductions that I got online, or knick knacks I keep my eye out for when I go to second hand shops throughout the year.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Kvlt! posted:

Anyway I watched Critters for the first time last night and I LOVED it but how the gently caress did that get away with being PG its brutal.

At the risk of sounding like one of those 'good old days' types, tastes/tolerances ran different back then and as time goes on they'll keep changing. Future generations'll probably wonder what the hell was going on in our heads with what current movies content/ratings are with what the ratings/content will be the usual for them.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵

Kvlt! posted:

Anyway I watched Critters for the first time last night and I LOVED it but how the gently caress did that get away with being PG its brutal.

What makes it even weirder is that it came out after the PG-13 rating had been introduced with Gremlins as one of the reasons.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I wouldn't be the accomplished pervert I am today without the MPAA haphazardly radicalizing the young Walrus.

Seeing Critters at a young age made me the man I am today.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
Ratings never mattered to me as a kid because my parents and grandmother would let me watch loving anything. I got in trouble at school in the first grade (1989) because I was telling my classmates that Freddy's tongue comes out of the phone when he becomes your boyfriend.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What about Psycho Cop 2? I was one of the few people laughing my rear end off when the same actor showed up as Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration on the Office.

Also, Robert Davi has been a delusional prick for decades, especially with his Sinatra obsession. Look up any interview with him and he'll go on and on about "So this person told me I'm the only person to sing as well as Frank" which must piss off Joe Piscopo.

Psycho Cop 2/Returns owns IMHO.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵

Iron Crowned posted:

Psycho Cop 2/Returns owns IMHO.

Does the first Psycho Cop even exist? I used to see the sequel on cable all the time in the nineties, but never the first one.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Does the first Psycho Cop even exist? I used to see the sequel on cable all the time in the nineties, but never the first one.

I really don't know, signs seem to point to "no," but you never know what weird poo poo can be found when ancient tombs are defiled

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I really don't know, signs seem to point to "no," but you never know what weird poo poo can be found when ancient tombs are defiled

It was on Amazon Prime, cuz I logged it on Letterboxd in January.

I did not like it. Gave it 1 star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

They are my audience.

To what?!?!