Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

sandnavyguy posted:

Honestly agree. My rule of thumb is lurker and Grand Performances are D1 targets and Text seems to be quite animated today.

##vote Textbook Origins

Although it is getting close to deadline in ~10 hours, and somber reticence to change their vote if they think Text is a good fit makes me... uncomfortable.

Spokes is my first choice and a good vote. 10 hours is a lot of time, people should start checking in as we get closer. I'm going to vote the person I most think is scum, but if that becomes impossible I'm willing to switch to Text.

Sorry I haven't been more active btw. Work has been nuts with us getting wave after wave backordered shipments and my own game is taking up a lot more time than I thought it would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Somberbrero posted:

people should start checking in as we get closer.

Or not. What's up folks?

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

It's almost like they're coasting! What? Weird how I see Spokes around now and saw Tommu around last night, and yet neither of them have chimed in! (I think I said I wouldn't do the online checking thing but it's actually difficult to ignore that information.) I'd still love to hear anything at all from dmboogie.

Wait am I responding too quickly??? Should I wait thirty minutes?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I reread Sci’s line of attack on TO. I think the second reaction after I went to bed tonight is actually worse than the first one. I have personal experience with Sci from a couple games ago regarding bad D1 cases, so I’m well aware Sci can be aggressive, but the defense by TO here is over-the-top even by my standards and reads to me like scum frustrated at being cased for the wrong reasons.

##vote TextbookOrigins

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I would like to hear more from Tommu and dmboogie, among others.

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

IllegallySober posted:

I reread Sci’s line of attack on TO. I think the second reaction after I went to bed tonight is actually worse than the first one. I have personal experience with Sci from a couple games ago regarding bad D1 cases, so I’m well aware Sci can be aggressive, but the defense by TO here is over-the-top even by my standards and reads to me like scum frustrated at being cased for the wrong reasons.

##vote TextbookOrigins

Scientastic doesn't have a case, he has a target. Also, it's ridiculous of you to want engagement and then say it feels forced. If I'm :justpost:ing, it is going to be forced, especially on day one.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

textbookOrigins posted:

Scientastic doesn't have a case, he has a target. Also, it's ridiculous of you to want engagement and then say it feels forced. If I'm :justpost:ing, it is going to be forced, especially on day one.

I don’t think wanting to hear more from players and then judging the tone of the comments they make are mutually exclusive ideas.

Apart from Sci, who do you feel is scum? Just the lurkers you mentioned?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

textbookOrigins posted:

It's almost like they're coasting! What? Weird how I see Spokes around now and saw Tommu around last night, and yet neither of them have chimed in! (I think I said I wouldn't do the online checking thing but it's actually difficult to ignore that information.) I'd still love to hear anything at all from dmboogie.

Wait am I responding too quickly??? Should I wait thirty minutes?

I think it's disingenuous to throw shade on tommu and spokes when you're voting scientastic, but it does make me think. Would you vote spokes instead? I really am not buying the scientastic case.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

hi sorry im busy and tired

in the science vs. textbook conflict science looks worse to me imo but i want to reread before i decisively vote

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

I don't trust how quiet Spokes has been after getting the least bit of attention.

I don't know what to think about Somberbrero's vote for Spokes. I don't think there's enough information there to vote Spokes. Somberbrero's right that Scientastic is really trying to get this party going! But he's willing to switch to me if it seems more possible. Switching from voting who you think is scum to who you think will be easiest to lynch doesn't strike me as pro-town.

Did Tommu ever respond to your questions? Or was it safe enough to just ignore them?

My biggest stumbling block to playing was the fear that I wouldn't be able to post enough. dmboogie is showing me that I needn't have been concerned! I can just say I've a new job or that I'm lazy! Excuses are loving weak.

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

Somberbrero posted:

I think it's disingenuous to throw shade on tommu and spokes when you're voting scientastic, but it does make me think. Would you vote spokes instead? I really am not buying the scientastic case.

I mean, at this point I do think Scientastic would ping town if investigated, but I don't think it'd be because he's town. Spokes hasn't been present and I'd rather go after a lurker; I do not have enough information to judge Spokes's reactions as town or scum. I don't think it'd be a good idea for me to move my vote there.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

textbookOrigins posted:

Did Tommu ever respond to your questions? Or was it safe enough to just ignore them?

Assuming this is directed at me, no, Tommu did not respond to my content game.

textbookOrigins posted:

I mean, at this point I do think Scientastic would ping town if investigated, but I don't think it'd be because he's town.

I don’t know how to interpret this. He’d investigate as town but not because he’s town?

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

What's a godfather?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Regarding deadline tonight: I have an evening meeting tonight that *should* end about 8:30 PST so I should be able to check in about 40 minutes before deadline, but I’ll be gone from 6 PM until that time, so if I’m quiet leading up to deadline this evening, that is why.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

textbookOrigins posted:

What's a godfather?

Ah, okay. Still, that’s a pretty bold assertion to make D1 in a small game before we have any results on anything at all?

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

textbookOrigins posted:

What's a godfather?

Would a game of this size even have one of those?

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

I responded within the same minute of being mentioned and that's somehow a case for me being scum. (Because I didn't respond immediately at the second mention or list of useless questions.)

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

I don't know anything about the setup, I don't particularly want to speculate but this is all the data I have.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I feel like I've got some bias regarding the sci-text stuff because i feel like sci went after me initially on a flimsy case so it's easy to read that he's doing the same to text. But at the same time it does seem like Text responded to it in a much more defensive way and that led it to escalate. I definitely want to hear more from boogie and tommu, especially since i've got a jokevote from boogie on me and he hasn't looked at changing that at all.

That said, I appreciate how fast this game is going and I'll be posting more often, it's much more fast-paced that survivor was. First game, but at the same time i'm not using it as an excuse. i'll be around and engaged through deadline tonight

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

textbookOrigins (3): Roydrowsy, Scientastic, Roydrowsy, sandnavyguy, IllegallySober
Somberbrero (2): Tommu, Spokes
Spokes (2): dmboogie, IllegallySober, Scientastic, Scientastic, Somberbrero, IllegallySober
Scientastic (2): sandnavyguy, Scientastic, Scientastic, textbookOrigins, Roydrowsy, sandnavyguy
dmboogie (0): Spokes, Spokes
sandnavyguy (0): Scientastic, Scientastic

Not Voting (0):

With 9 alive, it's 5 votes to execute. The current deadline is July 15th, 2020 at 12:15 a.m. EDT -- that's in about 8 hours, 9 minutes.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Having looked things over briefly here is where I am at.

The textbook thing was just me screwing around, and it feels sorta weird how Scientastic jumped on it. I am happy where my vote is right now, but I don’t know that Textbook is making the best case. The whole Godfather thing is weird.

What are the odds that the flip of one, solidified the other?

In the meantime, I’m looking forward to like, a third of the players of this game to contribute something a bit more, especially with the deadline approaching.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

textbookOrigins posted:

I mean, at this point I do think Scientastic would ping town if investigated, but I don't think it'd be because he's town. Spokes hasn't been present and I'd rather go after a lurker; I do not have enough information to judge Spokes's reactions as town or scum. I don't think it'd be a good idea for me to move my vote there.

textbookOrigins posted:

I don't trust how quiet Spokes has been after getting the least bit of attention.

I don't know what to think about Somberbrero's vote for Spokes.

I don't think there's enough information there to vote Spokes.

I have a difficult time rationalizing how you express suspicion of Spokes, but reiterate your hesitation to vote him due to a lack of compelling information.

Also, this is an internet party game. If you want to get aggro about participation, we can all shout and yell and have a bad time, or we could just not and be cool little buddies hanging out and having a good time and talking past each other.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

textbookOrigins posted:

I mean, at this point I do think Scientastic would ping town if investigated, but I don't think it'd be because he's town.

I don’t really like to use the trendy net speak that you young people use, but here goes.

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

I'm not solid on that read, but I do think of it as a possibility. I do think Scientastic's trying to draw attention to how oh-so-town he is by "scumhunting" and that he'll shrug and say "well they were a bad player" when I flip town. I don't think anyone should be trusting any case he's made until now. I think it's just opportunism; apparently I responded badly enough to the first probe that he decided I would be the easiest lynch.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Roydrowsy posted:

Having looked things over briefly here is where I am at.

The textbook thing was just me screwing around, and it feels sorta weird how Scientastic jumped on it. I am happy where my vote is right now, but I don’t know that Textbook is making the best case. The whole Godfather thing is weird.

What are the odds that the flip of one, solidified the other?

In the meantime, I’m looking forward to like, a third of the players of this game to contribute something a bit more, especially with the deadline approaching.

See, I realize that you just screwing around is what got Text in hot water, but it was their over performative reaction that pings me. Like, at this point in D1 all anyone has are loose cases based on goofy interactions, and I have a gut feeling that the reaction was too... well, reactive.

As far as Sci’s initial jump on them I’m ambivalent, but over dramatic reaches are scummy.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Hey TO, apart from me, who do you think is scum? And who do you think is town?

I am pretty confident you’re going to flip scum, and I think it would be very useful for us to have those alignment calls posted.

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

sandnavyguy posted:

See, I realize that you just screwing around is what got Text in hot water, but it was their over performative reaction that pings me. Like, at this point in D1 all anyone has are loose cases based on goofy interactions, and I have a gut feeling that the reaction was too... well, reactive.

As far as Sci’s initial jump on them I’m ambivalent, but over dramatic reaches are scummy.

Mafia is a heart-pounding thrill of a game! I am being falsely accused and Scientastic has played a lot of games! Probably people are more likely to trust him than me. That is why it is so scary to see him coming after me. I am going to react quite a lot every time I come under undeserved hostility.

Scientastic: Did you read earlier? I do not have town reads on Tommu, dmboogie, or, to an extent, sandnavyguy. I get tentative town vibes from Roydrowsy. I do not have a firm read either way on Illegally Sober. I think Spokes is a goddamn coward. I have tentative scum on Somberbrero but that is just a feel from how he's been posting.

I think you're gonna let scum coast to victory if you aren't scum-aligned yourself, and so I want you out.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Here’s where I’m at right now from a quick check of the player list:

Town

Me, obviously

Leaning Town

Scientastic: has toned down the aggression just a smidge from last game I played with him where he was super aggro and also scum. I’ve liked the thought behind his cases for the most part, he’s asking the right questions in my book.

Roydrowsy: light on posts compared to some, but tone and thought seem genuine so far

Null (mostly due to lack of posting)

dmboogie
sandnavyguy
Spokes
Tommu

Leaning Scum

TextbookOrigins: don’t like the defensive reaction to Sci’s case as stated, has continued to dig in

Somber: Didn’t like the opening comment about Sci, although I like TO as a better vote for now.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

IllegallySober posted:

Scientastic: has toned down the aggression just a smidge from last game I played with him

Lol really? How is that possible?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

textbookOrigins posted:

I think you're gonna let scum coast to victory if you aren't scum-aligned yourself, and so I want you out.

Oh come on, it’s a bit early in the game to claim that I am either a godfather or somehow so bad at the game that scum can coast because of my presence.

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

You're steering this! I don't think it's early at all.

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

Oh no I replied within the same minute again gosh darn it

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I think I’m being fairly chill this game

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

sandnavyguy posted:

I get that... I don’t know I can vote that way though.

If I Textbook were scum though, I’d imagine they’d have been more inclined to play it cool.

Textbook are you more inclined to play it cool when you are town or scum? Please answer honestly.

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

Scientastic posted:

I think I’m being fairly chill this game

You're not. It's okay that you're salty about jokephase.

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

I've never been scum! I don't know how I'd play! I think I'd lurk way the gently caress more than this and rely on my scumbros for help!

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

I think Scientastic's good enough at this to go predator scum mode from the start, pick a target, and follow through. I do not think I am anywhere near that good at this game, and therefore I do not think I would take risks like that.

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay
You loving poo poo nerds do realize I live in Australia and when you say wheres tom???????????? why has he stopped posting????? its because hes asleep you absolute drongos.

I've skimmed through briefly and im gonna go back and read all of your terrible posting.

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay
Read your posts in detail*****

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Somberbrero posted:

Lol really? How is that possible?

I’m willing to say a small piece of it is probably because it isn’t directed at me this time. But if you go back and read D1 of the Karen game and compare it to this one, I think there’s a difference. I didn’t say Sci wasn’t aggro... just slightly less so. :)