Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Well poo poo, looks like I’m buying a Friday the 13th box set, I wonder If Shout Factory ships to the UK, I’ve recently had my 4K player modded to play all region DVD’s and all Zones Blu-Rays so this seems like a good use of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

I legit didn't know that! I hope he's giving up the D to Toby Huss too because I'm still mad about how much he's wasted in this thing. Thinking about it today and the movie doesn't even really attempt to say anything, it's just stuff that happens.

i love Toby Huss but aside from Carnivale, i feel like he's always gotten pretty short shrift in the stuff he's in. he's pretty good in Halloween 2018 but very unceremoniously killed haha

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

My bedroom is p much a Spirit Halloween display booth, except I'd rather pulverize my left nut than let some brat get snot all over any of my glow-in-the-dark skeletons.

They are my audience.

your posts remind me a lot of the posts i made here when i was 14 years old

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

You're the big brother now, aren't you proud?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kvlt! posted:

Last week wasn't that long ago

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Burkion posted:

You're the big brother now, aren't you proud?

i feel old and id like to thank you all for putting up with me when i was 14

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I had a life size Sam in my room but I didn’t have room so I had to shove him inside a closet.

:(

Poor Sam.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Last week wasn't that long ago

Time works different in a quarantine.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

alf_pogs posted:

i love Toby Huss but aside from Carnivale, i feel like he's always gotten pretty short shrift in the stuff he's in. he's pretty good in Halloween 2018 but very unceremoniously killed haha

He kicks so much rear end in Halt and Catch Fire.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

I have some tasteful prints from the Mutter Museum in my room. The basement is the one I've turned into the Spirit Halloween/VHS store.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm watching my first episode of Svengoolie.

Its odd. But charming.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CelticPredator posted:

I had a life size Sam in my room but I didn’t have room so I had to shove him inside a closet.

:(

Poor Sam.

Man, don't feel bad about that! Sam is the exact kind of critter that would love living in a closet.

This has nothing to do with anything that's being talked about, but I wish the Friday the 13th movies were still on shudder. That was the easiest way to watch them in a row while buzzed without having to get up and change a dvd.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
From earlier Buffy chat

There's another reason I give people a pass on liking things made by shitheads. Especially when they don't have full creative control, which they rarely do.

https://screenrant.com/buffy-vampir..._campaign=SR-TW

It's because often elements work their way into their show against the creator's wishes or desires. Whedon, if he had the control over Buffy he wishes he did, would have produced a worse series, without question. Buffy was good Despite Him, not because of.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sam rn looks like the waiter who got folded in half in Men in Black lol

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, Whedon's an abusive rear end in a top hat but he was right about Spike/Buffy. That poo poo was creepy.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Now I wonder if Spike's descent into being a creepy loser began as a direct result of all this, because it definitely started immediately after his debut season.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, Whedon's an abusive rear end in a top hat but he was right about Spike/Buffy. That poo poo was creepy.

Imagine how much worse it would have been if Whedon had his way

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

poo poo I didn't even know he was in it! thats been on my watchlist for a few years now so time to get at it

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Maniac Cop 2 was great, I’m glad it got brought up because I didn’t love the first one and probably wouldn’t have bothered otherwise.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

The Grudge! What do people think of The Grudge? Not the terribad 2020 one, the '04 version.

I remember it being pretty darn popular back in the day but got panned by critics, now it seems to be getting an opinion turnaround overall? Or maybe that's just because the latest one was so awful it made it seem like a masterwork after reflection.

Yes I know the OG japan one is the best, but I wanna know how the american one holds up.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I'm watching my first episode of Svengoolie.

Its odd. But charming.

I love Svengoolie, but I think huge part of that is my greater love of horror hosts and the history of regional horror hosting and the culture surrounding it. If you want to get any deeper into it, I'd highly recommend reading into them or watching one of the handful of docs out there, because Svengoolie is sort of an end-game version of the concept. So earnest it almost becomes a meta take.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Dang. This may be what finally gets me to watch this show, even knowing all the other good reasons.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I didn't know that wasn't common knowledge! I never watched Carnevale so Halt was my first Toby Huss experience, and lordy it was a good one. That show is very good and thread favourite Karyn Kusama directed a few episodes too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Get on Carnivale, friend. You won't regret it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yo... Godzilla is good. Like... I was expecting a monster movie but I'm actually pretty emotional. I didn't realize it would be so human. I wasn't prepared for this at all.

feedmyleg posted:

I love Svengoolie, but I think huge part of that is my greater love of horror hosts and the history of regional horror hosting and the culture surrounding it. If you want to get any deeper into it, I'd highly recommend reading into them or watching one of the handful of docs out there, because Svengoolie is sort of an end-game version of the concept. So earnest it almost becomes a meta take.
A couple of years ago I was actually thinking of making a Spring or Halloween marathon goal of doing X different horror hosts and really deep diving in on them. Svengoolie, Elvira, Vampira, Joe Bob, etc. I might still do that some time because I do love the tradition of them and charm. It feels like a uniquely horror thing and it makes me feel like a kid staying up all Saturday night watching whatever was on my rabbit ears because I could. And I always enjoy getting trivia and facts about a movie and Svengoolie seemed to balance interesting trivia with really silly jokes and skits that was just kind of fun in how bad they were.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

Yo... Godzilla is good. Like... I was expecting a monster movie but I'm actually pretty emotional. I wasn't prepared for this at all.

Welcome to the fold my friend.

The only reason this didn't win Best Picture that year was because it had the misfortune to be released in 19 loving 54, the same year as Rear Window and Seven Samurai.

I have a whole post earlier in this thread, near the start I think, about why Godzilla 1954 is 100% a horror film and it's almost entirely for emotional reasons.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like I'm shook. I was expecting... you know. Godzilla smashing stuff and some blunt metaphors about man, science, and weapons. A kaiju film. But that poo poo was something else entirely. That was a loving film. I gotta process and rewatch this poo poo.

RIP Serizawa. Pouring one out for you.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you can look past or even appreciate the effects- because this was 1954 and these arguably were the best they could possibly do more on that in a moment- you'll notice the movie is shockingly modern in its pacing and style. The emotional core of the story, how the entire thing rests on Emiko, how Godzilla himself is presented as a victim in his final moments, the nuanced and varied looks at the different facets of humanity and science and the morality of knowledge...

It's still the best Godzilla film for a goddamn reason.

Ishiro Honda didn't get to shine much as a director due to fate and schedules, but when he does he does. The man was a world talent at what he did, paired with one of the most iconic composers of the world and Eiji Tsuburaya who revolutionized special effects in ways that we're still feeling today. Honda was a close friend of Akira Kurosawa, and even worked as second director for Kurosawa during his career- most notably and most importantly, he was the effective director of Kurosawa's final film- as well as his own- in 1993, after Kurosawa had gone blind.

This was months before his own death.

Honda is criminally underappreciated for his talents, though Godzilla 1954 is also just a perfect storm of absolutely everything bubbling up all at once.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was actually surprised how little Godzilla was sympathetic because that seems like such a common pattern for the Godzilla films. That he's the good monster who stops the bad monster. And like the movie does a great job with the father really relating ow tragic Godzilla's perspective is. But also Godzilla is such a loving monster in a true sense and causes so much devastation and horror. And that all pays off so well with convincing Serizawa to use his weapon and take his own life so that it never gets used again.

Its really so drat good and layered. I'm shell shocked. I'm in awe. I'm humbled. I'm embarrassed.

The basic lesson I took from Godzilla is a continuation of the lesson I took from finally seeing Jaws or the Universals. If something is a cultural icon that has remained beloved and celebrated to an insane degree for generations then it doesn't matter how old it is or how long you haven't seen it. There's a drat reason its an icon.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 15, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So on the note of special effects- while not all of them have aged as well, the puppetry stands out for example, Godzilla 1954 could not have been done the way they envisioned it any other way. As a note, the budget for the film was quite high for the time in Japan, and it was treated as an A picture by Toho. Godzilla was considerably more expensive than historicals of the era would be. This was never a matter of money.

It's the simple fact that, with the technology they had at the time, stop motion animation for the scale of the effects they wanted would have taken years of work. Compare this to any stop motion animation film of its era- none of them show the kind of destruction that Godzilla does. The Beast knocks over a few cars and crushes A Building. Ymir throws down with an elephant. Even King Kong barely trashed his city- while impressive, it was limited.

To do the city destruction that they needed in the way they present it, it just wasn't possible unless they spent far longer than was reasonable. And, in an ironic/sad twist, it may not have aged nearly as well. While stop motion animation from Kong and Beast still look good, bluray has done it no favors. Due to the way the shots were done and inserted into the film, they're almost always blurry and certain things are betrayed by high definition crystal clarity that wasn't the case at the time. Just due to how stop motion is done and filmed, it can never be remastered past a certain point.

The shots of Godzilla, storming through a blazing Tokyo at night, on the other hand, remain as stark as ever.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

feedmyleg posted:

Dang. This may be what finally gets me to watch this show, even knowing all the other good reasons.

He's the horror host I grew up with. One of my favorite childhood memories was when he said my name during the wishing Happy Birthdays portion. I didn't know my Mom had mailed my name in. It was up there in Holy poo poo moments with when I was on Bozo's Circus and the arrow for the Grand Prize Game ended up on my Mom's shoulder.

I wish I could find a copy since the one I taped at the time is long gone, but Sven had a show where he ran Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow and Giant Gila Monster through the Sven-o-matic editor to make Hot Rods to Gila which actually worked pretty good.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Parrotine posted:

The Grudge! What do people think of The Grudge? Not the terribad 2020 one, the '04 version.

I remember it being pretty darn popular back in the day but got panned by critics, now it seems to be getting an opinion turnaround overall? Or maybe that's just because the latest one was so awful it made it seem like a masterwork after reflection.

Yes I know the OG japan one is the best, but I wanna know how the american one holds up.

It's really interesting.

It's written and directed by Shimizu just like the Japanese ones, but he's trying to tell the same story with Hollywood techniques and you can see the opposing styles coming through on film.

As for the story it's almost exactly the first theatrical Ju-On, down to being the same house in Japan, but with a mainly white cast, who act it out well enough.

I'd call it good or at least adjacent to it, and definitely worlds better than all the following American ones. And I chalk that up to the main conceit being super rooted in Japanese culture that Americans have a hard time understanding what exactly it is that makes that kind of story work in that kind of way.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Late to the party, but I gave VVitch a fair chance yesterday. I vaguely remember starting it once, but putting it off after 15 minutes of just not being in the mood for a slower burn. That was a mistake. Solid, fantastic final 30 minutes and I loved the atmosphere and ye olde english.

It also made me remember something fun from my childhood;
About 35 years ago I got a huge book with old fairytales from an aunt for my communion. I remember the golden cover and the book being about A3 format. The thing was, the stories were brutal as gently caress; as if it were the original versions of all the tales that got sugarcoated in my youth and popularised.
I asked my parents, because it should be on their attic. Can't wait to reread it (possibily with my 9 and 6 y/o) and experience it again.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Is the 04 grudge the one with buffy? I remember it being unintentionally hilarious.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

It's stupid early in the morning, but it's also Peacock Launch Day. So, horror thread, consider this my last push to get people to check it out. Below is the list of horror (and some horror-adjacent titles) available today on the app. Pretty much all are free; if a title is underlined, you need a paid subscription to watch it.

100 Ghost Street: The Return of Richard Speck
13/13/13
2-Headed Shark Attack
Abbott & Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein
Abbott & Costello Meet the Invisible Man
Abbott & Costello Meet the Mummy
Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies
American Psycho
American Psycho 2: All American Girl
Anneliese: The Exorcist Tapes
Bigfoot
Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows
Body Bags
Bride of Frankenstein
Bug (2007)
Cape Fear (1962)
Captivity (2007)
Cooties
Corbin Nash
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Da Sweet Blood of Jesus
Dead Ringers
Dead Silence
Dracula (1931)
Dracula's Daughter
Drive Angry
End of Days
Family Plot
Fear
Final Girl
Frailty
Frankenstein
Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man
Frenzy
Gallow Walkers
Hansel & Gretel
Hard Candy
Haunters: The Art of the Scare
House of Dracula
House of Frankenstein
House of the Dead (2003)
It Came from Outer Space
Jigsaw
Jurassic Park
Jurassic Park III
Leatherface
Lost Highway
Matinee
Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus
Mercy
Mockingbird
Monster High: 13 Wishes
Monster High: Boo York, Boo York
Monster High: Escape from Skull Shores
Monster High: Freaky Fusion
Monster High: Friday Night Frights
Monster High: Fright On!
Monster High: Frights, Camera, Action!
Monster High: Haunted
Monster High: Scaris, City of Frights
Monster High: Why Do Ghouls Fall in Love?
My Little Eye
Night Monster
P2
Psycho (1960)
R.L. Stine Presents The Haunting Hour
R.L. Stine's Monsterville: Cabinet of Souls
R.L. Stine's Mostly Ghostly: Have You Met My Ghoulfriend?
R.L. Stine's Mostly Ghostly: One Night in Doom House
Rear Window (1954)
Rope
Shadow of a Doubt
Shark Week
Sharknado: Heart of Sharkness
Sleepaway Camp
Son of Dracula
Son of Frankenstein
Spawn
Tales from the Hood
The Birds
The Blair Witch Project
The Brides of Dracula
The Creature Walks Among Us
The Curse of the Werewolf
The Evil of Frankenstein
The Exorcist III
The Ghost of Frankenstein
The Haunting in Connecticut (2009)
The Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia
The Haunting of Whaley House
The Hitcher (2007)
The Invisible Man (1933)
The Invisible Man Returns
The Invisible Man's Revenge
The Last House on the Left (2009)
The Lost World: Jurassic Park
The Mummy (1999)
The Mummy Returns
The Mummy's Curse
The Mummy's Ghost
The Mummy's Hand
The Mummy's Tomb
The Phantom of the Opera (1943)
The Phantom of the Opera (1962)
The Raven (1935)
The Strange Case of Doctor Rx
The Veil
Werewolf of London
Tyler Perry's Boo 2! A Madea Halloween
Vertigo
You're Next
Zombie Night
Zoombies

Go check it out, won't you? Make the last 15 months or so of my life worth it.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Unavailable in my region. Too bad.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Parrotine posted:

I really enjoy the '04 remake and most of the original Japanese stuff as well. I think part of the issue people had at the time was generally not understanding Japanese folklore/beliefs relating to ghosts. Like the Ring remake at least streamlined the book/original movie's more sprawling narrative and ideas. I think that plus the fact that mainstream American audiences were clamoring for more remakes to scratch the itch created the circumstances that led to '04 Grudge not reviewing well. Since then, I think the people that are more into Horror are more likely to be aware of the culture/folklore and are softening the opinion on it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Acht posted:

Late to the party, but I gave VVitch a fair chance yesterday. I vaguely remember starting it once, but putting it off after 15 minutes of just not being in the mood for a slower burn. That was a mistake. Solid, fantastic final 30 minutes and I loved the atmosphere and ye olde english.

It also made me remember something fun from my childhood;
About 35 years ago I got a huge book with old fairytales from an aunt for my communion. I remember the golden cover and the book being about A3 format. The thing was, the stories were brutal as gently caress; as if it were the original versions of all the tales that got sugarcoated in my youth and popularised.
I asked my parents, because it should be on their attic. Can't wait to reread it (possibily with my 9 and 6 y/o) and experience it again.

Is English your native language? I only ask based on your username, and mentioning European paper sizes :) -- if not, how tricky was the early modern English to understand? I've heard that as one of the primary complaints of people who went to see The VVitch in theaters, even from native English speakers.

It's such a fantastic movie though.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Gaz2k21 posted:

Well poo poo, looks like I’m buying a Friday the 13th box set, I wonder If Shout Factory ships to the UK, I’ve recently had my 4K player modded to play all region DVD’s and all Zones Blu-Rays so this seems like a good use of it.

I'm sorry, I haven't looked back through the thread for this, but do you have a link? I still have the 1-8 DVD set from like twenty years ago and I would love something better.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm sorry, I haven't looked back through the thread for this, but do you have a link? I still have the 1-8 DVD set from like twenty years ago and I would love something better.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/friday-the-13th-collection-deluxe-edition?product_id=7444

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I'm watching The Faculty and having a great old time. such a loaded lineup in the cast for character actors!

I think someone in the thread once linked to a reading of it as a pro-drug reading of it or something where the characters are forced into narrative stereotypes. does anyone have that?