Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Bust Rodd posted:

Karl seems like a lot of fun to work with lol

His Robert De Niro impression is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Compound V on adults seems like crap shoot, Homelander mentioned it took him many tries to get a terrorist to develop superpowers; my guess is many die horribly and/or develop powers incompatible with life.

Unless he already had a Healing Factor, I also assume it accelerates healing as well--A Train recovered from a compound fracture awfully fast.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I always assumed that was just speedster healing, but you might have a point on it. The Female gets her rear end handed to her pretty horribly but is up and running around fairly quickly after that, compared to a baseline human anyway. Maybe the V gives a generic baseline power set and a specialty power? Everyone* gets the healing factor and a boost to durability and strength, but then you end up with either a signature power like Deep, or a set like Homelander, or even a basic set that's boosted like Maeve.

*that it doesn't kill, that is.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

A-Train treated it kinda like super cocaine. He took it to get faster, so apparently it not only gets you high, it boosts your powers a bit as well. Downside is, apparently it's easy to overdose.

The V "landlord" death scene from season 1 was really good.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the writers can make compound v do whatever the gently caress they want its literally blue food coloring in a plastic jar

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Phobophilia posted:

the writers can make compound v do whatever the gently caress they want its literally blue food coloring in a plastic jar

Except replace Homelander's face with a vial of compound V

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I always assumed that was just speedster healing, but you might have a point on it. The Female gets her rear end handed to her pretty horribly but is up and running around fairly quickly after that, compared to a baseline human anyway. Maybe the V gives a generic baseline power set and a specialty power? Everyone* gets the healing factor and a boost to durability and strength, but then you end up with either a signature power like Deep, or a set like Homelander, or even a basic set that's boosted like Maeve.

As a counterpoint, Mesmer seemed pretty baseline other than the mind stuff.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

If I remember the comic correctly to get the unique powersets you need to have the V administered in vitro. Anytime else V is basically just a super steroid.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TaurusTorus posted:

Presumably some take to it better than others, same as anything else. Maybe Vought even intentionally doses the babies with different strengths and exposure times to develop power tiers so they don't have to deal with 200 Homelander Jrs. all the time.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Compound V on adults seems like crap shoot, Homelander mentioned it took him many tries to get a terrorist to develop superpowers; my guess is many die horribly and/or develop powers incompatible with life.

Unless he already had a Healing Factor, I also assume it accelerates healing as well--A Train recovered from a compound fracture awfully fast.

A-Train's trainer/brother seemed to know immediately he had only recovered that quickly because he had taken V.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

TaurusTorus posted:

In the comics at least - and in the TV show, probably, since the Vaught commercial mentions "hundred" of Vaught branded supes - there are plenty of Supes in the world, with varying levels of power. The process is not always working out the same, so you could get Homelander and a random super doofus by using the same steps. One outcome is way more common than the other, of course.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

That Italian Guy posted:

The process is not always working out the same, so you could get Homelander and a random super doofus by using the same steps. One outcome is way more common than the other, of course.

In the comics at least, Homelander is Stormfront's biological son, in addition to being pumped with Compound V while a fetus, to explain why he was significantly more powerful than the rest of the supes, don't think they will go this route in the tv show, though

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TaurusTorus posted:

The death of Mesmer on the TV series was one of the worst deaths in the whole show especially how he realizes he won't be able to negotiate his way out.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The fx team went above and beyond too. Made a silicone face of the actor to put over a fake fx skull and gore setup so it's basically all practical fx with minimal cgi. loving brutal.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

PostNouveau posted:

I hope that's a different character and they didn't recast Homelander's kid. The original kid had the same scary hateful look as Homelander.

Looking back at the first trailer again it does look like they recast Homelander's kid :(

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The fx team went above and beyond too. Made a silicone face of the actor to put over a fake fx skull and gore setup so it's basically all practical fx with minimal cgi. loving brutal.

You could pretty much feel pretty Mesmer was pretty horrible after getting a no one situation by selling out Butcher's Gang to Homelander and got one of the more brutal deaths in the series.

etalian fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 15, 2020

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

In the comics if you get the billion dollar Good poo poo you get the predictable baseline powers of super strength and durability with no side effects. Most supes don't, get exposed to it somewhere and get something random and maybe useless or fatal. Only the Seven are in vitro engineered powerhouses.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 15, 2020

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

drat, they Deadliest Warrior'd him.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

If Homelander ran in today's political environment he would get elected in a landslide

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

etalian posted:

If Homelander ran in today's political environment he would get elected in a landslide

Starr makes the best faces/microexpressions as homelander

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Pattonesque posted:

Starr makes the best faces/microexpressions as homelander

When Stillwell confronted him about killing that mayor... and he cycles through defensiveness, anger, holding back tears. Just brilliant.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

When Stillwell confronted him about killing that mayor... and he cycles through defensiveness, anger, holding back tears. Just brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NVcqDlV1VM

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

massive spider posted:

In the comics if you get the billion dollar Good poo poo you get the predictable baseline powers of super strength and durability with no side effects. Most supes don't, get exposed to it somewhere and get something random and maybe useless or fatal. Only the Seven are in vitro engineered powerhouses.

Specifically the big three (Homelander, Maeve, and Black Noir) are far away the strongest of all the supes.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I had no idea about Anthony Starr's real accent till the end of that video!

Watched all through Banshee thinking he was American then saw an interview with him using his real accent and it blew my mind

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
UK actors and comedians have the best US accents I love hearing them.

It’s like... why don’t you just talk normal like that all the time instead of doing a silly voice?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s like... why don’t you just talk normal like that all the time instead of doing a silly voice?

Avenue 5 is not a great show but it has the best riff on this.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Bust Rodd posted:

He's not even from the UK, he's a NZer same as Karl Urban.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Casting Karl Urban as Butcher was another stroke of genius.

He really really sells the charismatic destructive crusader and often madman nature of character really well.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://collider.com/the-boys-season-3-renewed/

Already been renewed for Season 3!

I feel the need to share this. It's a season 2 clip, and it's... I really have no words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkZEPgBqAu8

They loving BUILT A WHALE. An honest to god practical fx whale, that Karl Urban (not a stunt guy) drove into. Holy gently caress :stonk:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 24, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I know its a padded suit and tbeyre not currently filming, but I was still a bit shocked to see how slight Antbony Starr was on that comic con panel.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://collider.com/the-boys-season-3-renewed/

Already been renewed for Season 3!

I feel the need to share this. It's a season 2 clip, and it's... I really have no words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkZEPgBqAu8

They loving BUILT A WHALE. An honest to god practical fx whale, that Karl Urban (not a stunt guy) drove into. Holy gently caress :stonk:

Deep's real super power is causing hilarious marine life death.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

The Comic-Con@Home panel for The Boys is pretty entertaining.

Lacks the dynamic energy of being in front of 5,000 laughing, cheering fans, but I like that the actors seem to enjoy having some insight into their characters.

Swollen Member
Aug 4, 2019

You know you want it...
Renewed for season 3 and a Terror spin-off show?!?! Color me hosed!

Love that clip BTW! The Deep is indeed the "Douchebag of the Seven Seas"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Holy gently caress that clip :vince:

I can't wait for season 2.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Holy gently caress that clip :vince:

I can't wait for season 2.

The show seems to really enjoy Pete Jackson style "splatstick humor" like the baby laser scene from the first season.

Lmao how Deep was doing the Marvel hero cliche power pose right before the boat shot right through the whale.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Swollen Member posted:

Renewed for season 3 and a Terror spin-off show?!?! Color me hosed!

Love that clip BTW! The Deep is indeed the "Douchebag of the Seven Seas"

???

Swollen Member
Aug 4, 2019

You know you want it...
Isn't that the villain from The Tick?

And no, I meant Billy's doggo Terror, the bulldog. And he's sadly NOT getting his own spin-off show, blame my lack of reading comprehension. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Let's get the thread back on track...