Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I had this come up in my youtube recs and figured it was thread relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btJ2255abjQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Loved this latest season, but one thing didn't sit right with me. Mike, normally so uber competent and cogniscent of all the angles, spent time with Jimmy working on his story to tell Lalo following the desert ordeal. Mike also knew that Lalo would flee to Mexico once out of jail, indeed wanted him to.

So did it not occur to Mike that Lalo might well take that same route to the border and wonder where Saul's car was (as happened), and even discover the car in the ditch (as happened).

If Saul's story somehow accounted for this stuff, and also the bullet holes in the car, it would have been more consistent with Mike's character in not leaving that potential exposure and the awful consequences of it.

That's a valid point, but I kind of appreciate when they allow characters like Mike to be more fallible. The times when he's almost too competent tend to break my immersion a bit.

Though for me, I'm pretty forgiving of writing where a guy neglects a few angles in his scheming. It mainly bothers me when a narrative tells me someone's supposed to be incredibly brilliant and capable but only shows otherwise (common in a lot of bad sci-fi and action movies).

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

My girlfriend is watching Breaking Bad for the first time (after first watching El Camino and then watching BCS) and it was my first time going through it all since it first aired. When Saul is first introduced I couldn't believe during the scene where after Walt and Jessie kidnapped Saul and are threatening him he shouts "It wasn't me, it was Ignacio! He's the one!" and asks if his kidnapping has anything to do with Lalo.

Like holy gently caress. That's Star Wars levels of Expanded Universe poo poo to take those lines and turn them into amazing characters in a spin-off show years later.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

iamsosmrt posted:

That's a valid point, but I kind of appreciate when they allow characters like Mike to be more fallible. The times when he's almost too competent tend to break my immersion a bit.

Though for me, I'm pretty forgiving of writing where a guy neglects a few angles in his scheming. It mainly bothers me when a narrative tells me someone's supposed to be incredibly brilliant and capable but only shows otherwise (common in a lot of bad sci-fi and action movies).

Yeah, I agree that a degree of fallibility is just good general characterisation when writing pretty much any human being. But this felt quite glaring, given the stakes involved.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah, at the very least Mike should've had a crew come back to clean up the wreckage. It might even have been a cool "oh poo poo" revelation if they figured Lalo already got to it.

I agree that it's a weak point in the writing, but at least for me, it's one i can easily forgive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did Mike even have the blessing of Gus to support him in the first place?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

iamsosmrt posted:

Yeah, at the very least Mike should've had a crew come back to clean up the wreckage. It might even have been a cool "oh poo poo" revelation if they figured Lalo already got to it.

I agree that it's a weak point in the writing, but at least for me, it's one i can easily forgive.

Tyrus also tries to jump down Lalo style to investigate the car, breaking both of his legs and explaining why we don't see him in BB until season 4.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

iamsosmrt posted:

For sure. It's the first time in 5 seasons anything's jumped out at me like this. Hardly the end of the world.

Cojawfee posted:

Did Mike even have the blessing of Gus to support him in the first place?

I would assume so, given Mike had already given Saul what he needed to help get Lalo bail so Gus could assassinate him when he got back to Mexico. Making sure the bail money actually reached Lalo would have just been an extension of that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess it was just to make the episode more thrilling, but you'd think Mike would have come prepared with a sat phone or something just in case. He's always prepared for everything, but wasn't ready for his lovely truck to get shot up or break down. Unless all of his preparedness is just based on past experience, like that gas cap tracker thing. After encountering that once, that became the thing he looked for when thinking he was being tracked from then on. So maybe the next time he has to go into the desert, he brings a sat phone.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i would've expected Mike to bring a jug of water if he was going out to the dessert, personally. but whatever, worth it for jimmy to drink the piss

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It was worth it for Kim to just explode at Lalo though, I loved that, just "Well, a car gets stranded in the desert in New Mexico? This state is a shithole due to cartels and drug crime, basically because of YOU of course some dumb kid's gonna take potshots at it."

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Honestly, for people who go deep into the desert as often as they do, no one in the BB universe ever seems prepared enough for it.

I''m trying to remember, but after the shootout, neither Mike nor Jimmy check the other cars for supplies right?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

iamsosmrt posted:

Honestly, for people who go deep into the desert as often as they do, no one in the BB universe ever seems prepared enough for it.

I''m trying to remember, but after the shootout, neither Mike nor Jimmy check the other cars for supplies right?

After playing as many RPGs as I have, I have an irrational fear of getting into a fight and being caught going through everyone's pockets.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

iamsosmrt posted:

I'm pretty sure Mike did, but the water jug he found had a bunch of bullet holes in it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That was from the truck that was chasing them and then flipped a million times

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

IIRC Mike and Saul split in the Esteem after the shootout, but we don't really see much more than Mike loading the money up into Saul's car while Saul is still in shock and them leaving, Mike could have checked those other vehicles for supplies or other things, but at that point they assumed incorrectly that the Esteem was running and ready to go and it drove quite a while without breaking down.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

wolrah posted:

I had this come up in my youtube recs and figured it was thread relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btJ2255abjQ

AMC wanting to keep this money train goin so bad

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

notthegoatseguy posted:

AMC wanting to keep this money train goin so bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgyzfG827cs

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1281553273099558913?s=19

"If you do not do this fetch quest....

I will kill your wife.

I will kill your son.

I will kill your infant daughter."

Quest added: "Pollos"

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Getting the car out of that ravine would have been a complete pain in the rear end, they would have had to get a tow truck and drive around since they likely don’t remember why they left it exactly. Then pull it out and dispose of it. Sounds like a days work which would have attracted attention if lalo was looking for it anyway.

Lalo only found it because he’s incredibly suspicious and prepared to go the extra mile to pull a dangling thread.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

massive spider posted:

Lalo only found it because he’s incredibly suspicious and prepared to go the extra mile to pull a dangling thread.

And what a glorious mile.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

e: im being a dick for no reason this morning nvm

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 10, 2020

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1281553273099558913?s=19

"If you do not do this fetch quest....

I will kill your wife.

I will kill your son.

I will kill your infant daughter."

Quest added: "Pollos"

Vaas ended up in BCS
Gustavo's ending up in Far Cry
:v:

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Someone make a good things come in bears / bcs joke

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Grinding repetitive ubisoft quests for Gus like that kid cleaning the fry baskets over and over.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
In season 6 it's revealed that Hector's wheelchair bomb didn't actually work, and Lalo chucked in a bomb through the window at the exact same moment, knowing Hector was going to die either way.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

All eps of Broken and the Bad are up on Youtube. Here's ep 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Qw-YBuRhY

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
interesting

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

My girlfriend is watching Breaking Bad for the first time (after first watching El Camino and then watching BCS)

Weirdest watch order possible

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

AndyElusive posted:

All eps of Broken and the Bad are up on Youtube. Here's ep 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Qw-YBuRhY

Wait are these real documentary shorts? From the thumbnail I thought this was Gomie's actor and they were just going to SNL up some BB-like stories to kill time during quarantine.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Nothing we haven't come up with here, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOPvzORIpYk

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Cartoon posted:

Nothing we haven't come up with here, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOPvzORIpYk

I like the idea that Kim and Gene have a one final scene reckoning like the Walt and Skyler one at the end of BB.

Best case is Gene is in Omaha because that's where Kim grew up and he knows they can get back together...but that might be a little too feel good happy ending.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Athanatos posted:

I like the idea that Kim and Gene have a one final scene reckoning like the Walt and Skyler one at the end of BB.

Best case is Gene is in Omaha because that's where Kim grew up and he knows they can get back together...but that might be a little too feel good happy ending.

If Gene can (safely) get back with Kim, then why is he such a sad sack during those cold opens?

Also, I think that BB scene of Saul and Francesca saying goodbye is possibly meant to slightly insert Kim into the BB timeline. That number is quite possibly hers.

But then again, Francesca knows Kim, and the way Saul talks about who Francesca should call is as if she had no idea who that person was.

poo poo, I don't know anymore.

Final theory is that Gene/Saul/Jimmy finally faces the music and Kim is his lawyer.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Athanatos posted:

Athanatos posted:

Look I think them getting back together and kissing at the end will be too schmaltzy but I think maybe just reconnecting with her again (maybe and not showing past that? Or just friends) wouldn’t be that bad. Who in this entire universe has had a good ending at all? :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

teacup posted:

Look I think them getting back together and kissing at the end will be too schmaltzy but I think maybe just reconnecting with her again (maybe and not showing past that? Or just friends) wouldn’t be that bad. Who in this entire universe has had a good ending at all? :(

Jesse is the closest to that. Skinny Pete and Badger make it out ok.

The morale of the story is that meth is bad, guys!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

teacup posted:

Who in this entire universe has had a good ending at all? :(
Every main character whose story has ended has died and/or lost everything.

Walt - Lost everything, died.
Skyler - Lost everything
Jesse - Lost everything
Hank - Died
Marie - Lost everything
Walt Jr. - Lost everything
Gus - Died
Mike - Lost everything, died
Lydia - Died
Todd - Died
Chuck - Lost everything, died

Of the main characters whose stories remain unfinished, things still don't look great.

Jimmy - We know he loses everything, we don't yet know if he dies.
Kim - Ending up in jail as a result of the Sandpiper scheme seems to be the best case scenario for her.
Howard - Being on the wrong side of a scheming Kim is a great way to lose everything, and/or I could see him being driven to suicide with that on top of his guilt about Chuck.
Nacho - Nothing about this series has pointed towards his survival.
Lalo - It seems hard for the timeline of BB to have gone by without Saul continuously being concerned about him unless he's either dead or removed from influence.

I have to agree that Jesse probably came out the best of any of the main characters. I'd call Walt probably second in that list, because while he dies and loses almost everything, the selfish part of him that just wanted to be recognized as a chemist in a way won.

No one in the show comes out ahead, but most of the supporting cast that aren't killed seem to get away with just some scars (mental, physical, and/or financial).

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 14, 2020

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
In comparison to Walt, who came across as someone who was always lovely and just needed that excuse to go full El Chapo, it'd be possible for Jimmy to have a redemption and happy-ish ending of some sort without it feeling too contrived. He's a good person deep down. His moral compass is just a little wonky.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

In comparison to Walt, who came across as someone who was always lovely and just needed that excuse to go full El Chapo, it'd be possible for Jimmy to have a redemption and happy-ish ending of some sort without it feeling too contrived. He's a good person deep down. His moral compass is just a little wonky.

Chuck put it something like "you do terrible things but for good reasons".

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

If Gene can (safely) get back with Kim, then why is he such a sad sack during those cold opens?

I posted this theory a bit earlier:

Athanatos posted:

Kim is going to be alive in the end. Saul mentions a call on his birthday at 3pm. It's probably them keeping in touch while she is hiding/in exile. I don't know if it's on the run for the law, but some sort of "Better for you, better for me if we are not together" thing that happens from going after Hamlin.

Maybe that November Kim birthday call, Francesca gives Kim enough info to find Gene, but for whatever reason, Gene has mostly given up hope of it happening at this point. He's just living out his lovely days. It might be why he reconsiders Vacuum escape #2. If he bails on Gene life, there is 0 chance Kim finds him.

Final theory is that Gene/Saul/Jimmy finally faces the music and Kim is his lawyer.

This would be great. Sappy, but great. It doesn't really fit with the Kim in exile, but it would be cool to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The contrast between Gene, bingo-calling Jimmy, and Saul at peak-Saul is staggering.

This show :kiss: