Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Vandar posted:

Is this some stupid new conspiracy bullshit I’ve missed?

Heather Antos summarized it well enough: the American comic-book industry is a small, insular field. People within it talk to each other. When they do, they will often warn each other about people who are terrible to work with.

Because CG types have broken brains and don't understand basic human communication, they've spun this into Simone as one of the masterminds of a conspiracy designed to silence people who dare to step to her mic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Your acquaintance is a Nazi, sorry

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Yeah whisper networks are real things but they exist in the form of marginalized people working to protect marginalized people in fields and give them support and resources to help them stay in the field, not to get the people running these groups in trouble/fired. More often than not they're small things, like private conversations of "So&So is trouble and you should stay away from him" or shared commiseration to help victims remember they're not alone, with some receipts and information saved in case poo poo goes down and it's actually time to stand up to someone.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hostile V posted:

Yeah whisper networks are real things but they exist in the form of marginalized people working to protect marginalized people in fields and give them support and resources to help them stay in the field, not to get the people running these groups in trouble/fired. More often than not they're small things, like private conversations of "So&So is trouble and you should stay away from him" or shared commiseration to help victims remember they're not alone, with some receipts and information saved in case poo poo goes down and it's actually time to stand up to someone.

This being the thing when an abuser is outed a lot of people come out to say they'd been warned about X in the past?

I see it happening a lot with the gaming community. Being more tech focused in general leads to a lot of avenues of communication for people to try to get the word out without torpedoing their career & reputation to try and protect newcomers to the industry.

Alec Holowaka was a big one last year because Zoe Quinn was involved, but multiple female game developers said they were openly told when they arrived at conventions/gatherings to avoid being alone in a room with Alec because his prestige and influence was enough that everyone had to pretend and play nice if they wanted to stay in the industry circles.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 15, 2020

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

site posted:

Your acquaintance is a Nazi, sorry

Oh they’re loving awful and I can’t stand them.

There’s a reason I said ‘acquaintance’ and not ‘friend’ or anything similar.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I wonder how many people Simone has protected from scumbags over the years - and how many pretended to be allies to her face to keep hurting their victims.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Vandar posted:

Oh they’re loving awful and I can’t stand them.

There’s a reason I said ‘acquaintance’ and not ‘friend’ or anything similar.

You should probably work to make them less than an acquaintance.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/Sean_G_Murphy/status/1283058156118118402

That's kinda interesting. Murphy had been getting more CG-adjacent so I wonder if he was trying to preempt something.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Gail Simone is big enough and vocal enough that, I imagine, she hears all the stories. She’s probably a one-woman whisper network.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

IUG posted:

You should probably work to make them less than an acquaintance.

I would put them on full discord block but discord handles that in the most frustrating way possible.

Honestly I just try to ignore them most the time unless they say something stupid like the Gail Simone stuff.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Jedit posted:

A dark horse is an unknown competitor that pulls off a surprise victory. I've never heard the phrase used in any other way. Can you explain what is "indicting" about saying "we're not the Big Two but we're going to succeed"?

Tangential to the thread as a whole, but the British use it differently: "a person who keeps their interests and ideas secret, especially someone who has a surprising ability or skill."

Still not that indicting, but more so than the underdog one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

lifg posted:

Gail Simone is big enough and vocal enough that, I imagine, she hears all the stories. She’s probably a one-woman whisper network.

She's posted on twitter before that a lot of people tell her a lot of stories and a lot of times she's not free to tell those stories because they aren't hers to tell. She also (used to) go to a lot of cons and made a special effort to go to ones she hadn't been to before. If you hear three different stories on three different continents from three different women about so and so doing something terrible, you might start warning other people even if you can't get into specifics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/Sean_G_Murphy/status/1283058156118118402

That's kinda interesting. Murphy had been getting more CG-adjacent so I wonder if he was trying to preempt something.

What was this? It says the account doesn't exist anymore.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ImpAtom posted:

He said that "per discussion with his family and the Bat books staff" he was going to finish some event and delete his twitter that evening.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
He got too close to comicsgate in public and deleted his account

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

I thought to save it this time, but yeah, it's what site said.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
His further tweets were along the line that Twitter wasn't necessary as a promotional tool anymore, but he's still on Instagram.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Murphy got caught saying the quiet part out loud too many times and didn't want that to affect his meal ticket.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1284216643900583936

So this is the third CG chud Dynamite's decided is cool?

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1284216643900583936

So this is the third CG chud Dynamite's decided is cool?

At least before they sort of danced around their association with Comicsgate. They're full CG now.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Here's the book that Dynamite is pushing by the way:

https://twitter.com/uzionmain/status/1284259946540998656?s=20

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So it's about his self-insert. Delightful.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The thing about a lot of these 'variant covers' that Comicsgate people are doing is that it's not like Dynamite (or any of the companies) are approaching these artists and asking them to do covers for them. Publishers have been doing "retailer exclusive" covers for several years now, which is how you get like fifty covers for Detective Comics #1000 or whatever.

If you follow that link, you'll see DC did a dozen or so themselves, then also there are 'retailer exclusive' covers from a couple dozen retailers. Some of those "retailers" include Alex Ross, Neal Adams, and Artgerm. That's because the basic gist of the "Retailer Exclusive" covers is that if anyone wants to order X copies of the book (usually in the low thousands) and they'll print them up with the cover of your choice.

So Alex Ross, Neal Adams, Rob Liefeld, J. Scott Campbell, Artgerm, and probably a bunch of other genuinely successful artists order a couple thousand copies of an 'exclusive' cover drawn by them, sign them, and sell them for $50-100 a pop.

It's the sort of thing that's kinda sorta a scam but it's a win-win for both parties; Marvel/DC/IDW/Dynamite get to goose up the sales of a big issue, the artists get to make money and essentially have fully licensed/approved "prints" to sell at conventions/online of Superman or Black Cat or the Ninja Turtles or Vampirella or whatever.

So EVS and I guess this other shithead are essentially exploiting this because hey, if you've got a Diamond account and are willing to order X copies of a book, you can get an 'exclusive' variant cover! They're just crowd-sourcing the pre-order.

The big difference is obviously that all of the artists linked above are professionals that actually work with Marvel and DC and aren't just doing it to seem like they have the legitimacy of working for those companies. This also isn't letting Dynamite off the hook for anything, I am sure there have been attempts at the other companies from retailers, artists, or other jerks to get a retail exclusive Donald Trump as Captain America cover or a Bat Lives Matter Thin Blue Line variant or just let Frank Cho draw April O'Neil with full frontal nudity or something, and those companies said no. Dynamite is saying yes to the Comicsgate money.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
There are currently 133, and counting, covers for Red Sonja: Age of Chaos. A five-issue miniseries. Variant covers are worthless trash.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

The thing about a lot of these 'variant covers' that Comicsgate people are doing is that it's not like Dynamite (or any of the companies) are approaching these artists and asking them to do covers for them. Publishers have been doing "retailer exclusive" covers for several years now, which is how you get like fifty covers for Detective Comics #1000 or whatever.

If you follow that link, you'll see DC did a dozen or so themselves, then also there are 'retailer exclusive' covers from a couple dozen retailers. Some of those "retailers" include Alex Ross, Neal Adams, and Artgerm. That's because the basic gist of the "Retailer Exclusive" covers is that if anyone wants to order X copies of the book (usually in the low thousands) and they'll print them up with the cover of your choice.

So Alex Ross, Neal Adams, Rob Liefeld, J. Scott Campbell, Artgerm, and probably a bunch of other genuinely successful artists order a couple thousand copies of an 'exclusive' cover drawn by them, sign them, and sell them for $50-100 a pop.

It's the sort of thing that's kinda sorta a scam but it's a win-win for both parties; Marvel/DC/IDW/Dynamite get to goose up the sales of a big issue, the artists get to make money and essentially have fully licensed/approved "prints" to sell at conventions/online of Superman or Black Cat or the Ninja Turtles or Vampirella or whatever.

So EVS and I guess this other shithead are essentially exploiting this because hey, if you've got a Diamond account and are willing to order X copies of a book, you can get an 'exclusive' variant cover! They're just crowd-sourcing the pre-order.

The big difference is obviously that all of the artists linked above are professionals that actually work with Marvel and DC and aren't just doing it to seem like they have the legitimacy of working for those companies. This also isn't letting Dynamite off the hook for anything, I am sure there have been attempts at the other companies from retailers, artists, or other jerks to get a retail exclusive Donald Trump as Captain America cover or a Bat Lives Matter Thin Blue Line variant or just let Frank Cho draw April O'Neil with full frontal nudity or something, and those companies said no. Dynamite is saying yes to the Comicsgate money.

Dynamite employees are actively joining Comicsgate streams though to boot.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

E the Shaggy posted:

Dynamite employees are actively joining Comicsgate streams though to boot.
I had not seen that, and that's obviously more explicit endorsement/bullshit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Inkspot posted:

There are currently 133, and counting, covers for Red Sonja: Age of Chaos. A five-issue miniseries. Variant covers are worthless trash.

What's the minimum order to get your own "retailer variant" cover?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

It depends on the publisher. IDW set it at 500.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Wonder if we can order enough comics to get them to publish a cover saying "Stop buying our racist comics," then charge it back on paypal.

Also seeing a lot of dropped support for them in reviewer circles, so only time will tell how long before this rewards or bites them in the rear end. Though judging by what happens to the finances of every CG grifter that isn't EVS, going to side with bite them in the rear end

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Skwirl posted:

Looks like Dynamite's set to 500 too.

Anora posted:

Wonder if we can order enough comics to get them to publish a cover saying "Stop buying our racist comics," then charge it back on paypal.

Also had that thought, but it'd still be giving Dynamite money they'd use to... I dunno... launch another Sheena comic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Inkspot posted:

Looks like Dynamite's set to 500 too.

Also had that thought, but it'd still be giving Dynamite money they'd use to... I dunno... launch another Sheena comic.

They're printing at least 66,000 copies of that? I guess Dynamite gets paid either way but a lot of people are going to take a loving bath on that.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Inkspot posted:

Note that I said "charge it back," so they don't get a dime.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Mark Russell, who's been vocally anti-CG for years, is ending his relationship with Dynamite. More of their non-chud contributors are sure to follow.

https://twitter.com/Manruss/status/1284645872974753793

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

kefkafloyd posted:

Mark Russell, who's been vocally anti-CG for years, is ending his relationship with Dynamite. More of their non-chud contributors are sure to follow.

https://twitter.com/Manruss/status/1284645872974753793

Karla Pacheco, who's writing the newest Bettie Page series, has already said she won't go beyond the 5 issues she's already committed to, and is donating her salary (I'll have to dig up the tweet to confirm where exactly.)

EDIT: Oh here it is
https://twitter.com/THEKarlaPacheco/status/1281006701475270656

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 19, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How the gently caress did Dynamite get the rights to Bettie Page's name and likeness?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

How the gently caress did Dynamite get the rights to Bettie Page's name and likeness?

They paid her money and she's old now and America doesn't have a functioning social safety net?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Skwirl posted:

They paid her money and she's old now and America doesn't have a functioning social safety net?

She died 12 years ago, so it’s probably just whoever’s in charge of her estate making money off her fame.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ugh, im looking for the details but I swear I read that when she passed away that was it, there was supposed to be a trust to protect her likeness from being exploited.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/xtop/status/1284202462845386752

That's a real nice look, Jimmy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Bettie Page's estate signed up with CMG Worldwide, which is a company that appears to exist solely to make sure the estates of dead celebrities get paid for use of their likenesses. They started with Norman Rockwell, Elvis Presley, and James Dean, and now represent a frankly insane number of famous dead people, from actors (Jimmy Stewart, Christopher Reeve, Jack Lemmon, Will Rogers, Redd Foxx, Milton Berle, Hedy Lamarr, Rock Hudson, Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee) to musicians (Chuck Berry, Jerry Garcia, Pimp C, Dizzy GIllespie, Leadbelly, Aaliyah) to athletes (Joe Louis, Jackie Robinson, Ty Cobb, Arthur Ashe, Wilma Rudolph, Andre the Giant) to actual historical figures (Amelia Earhart, Malcolm X, Maya Angelou, Rosa Parks, Timothy Leary, Mark Twain, Jack Kerouac, Neil Armstrong). It's a weird business, but I guess what I'm saying is that if the money is right, Dynamite could pay to have any of the people listed above crossover with Red Sonja or Vampirella or Steampunk Battlestar Galactica.