Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dienes posted:

Its not nearly as simple as that - its a combination of probability and delay discounting. The kids who don't wait tend to engage in more risky behavior, more drug use, more crime, lower grades, have higher rates of divorce, higher BMI, lower savings, etc. even after you control for differences in incomes. Its a self-perpetuating cycle in which an impoverished environment teaches you to ask impulsively (because the second marshmallow may never come), but then that same impulsivity interferes with your chances of getting OUT of an impoverished environment.

There's been literally decades of research in this area (including the stuff I've published) - we don't depend on a single Mischel study anymore, especially when those flaws are addressed in replication studies.
Hell, if you're sufficiently poor, if you don't eat the metaphorical marshmallow now, there's a good chance you'll get ZERO marshmallows later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Going back to this clown:

There's more. He's arguing that if the slope is very steep, then that indicates that there's a strong effect regardless of how good that correlation is.
https://twitter.com/AmihaiGlazer/status/1280026850736009216

Just... read this whole tweet chain.
https://twitter.com/vectorgen/status/1279908546059145226
https://twitter.com/vectorgen/status/1279911430343528449
https://twitter.com/vectorgen/status/1279913320347316224

One more for the road. He is incapable of understanding plots which are not defined by y=F(x).
https://twitter.com/AmihaiGlazer/status/1279953253170507777

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Zereth posted:

Hell, if you're sufficiently poor, if you don't eat the metaphorical marshmallow now, there's a good chance you'll get ZERO marshmallows later.

Yes, that is exactly what I already said. That was my entire point.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Maybe the kids know they want a marshmallow now and won’t necessarily appreciate two later.

Craving a food one day doesn’t mean a person will crave it the next.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Eating one marshmallow today and graphing the time consumption of marshmallows shows it has a steeper slope compared to eating one marshmallow today and one a few days later. Economically we can rest assured there is some great force at play here.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I think the setting would be more realistic if they were offered 1 candy right now, or get 0 to 3 later based on a dice roll.

But that would require children who understand the concept of investing, gambling and probabilities, and most likely would never get the ethics board approval.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Going to very calmly lay out on Twitter 3 reasons why all of my papers can be rejected by any journal with clout:
1. Statisticians are jerks, R2 is just a number and doesnt mean anything
2. High slope, very cool that means there is a large effect and those are easy to write about
3. *Somebody switches the X and Y data* low slope, what a loser result. Nothing is even happening

I thought the soft sciences went through a lot of mandatory stats retraining in the 90s and 00d and all new post grad is similar to hard science where you go through stats boot camp and get told very kindly they can either learn stats or make friends with someone who knows how they work. I think I know the answer (because Econ departments are political science departments and think themselves even immune for soft science requirements) but how is some university media wrangler not appearing out of nowhere to abduct this guy to somewhere without Twitter?

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Der Kyhe posted:

I think the setting would be more realistic if they were offered 1 candy right now, or get 0 to 3 later based on a dice roll.

But that would require children who understand the concept of investing, gambling and probabilities, and most likely would never get the ethics board approval.

To properly represent the American economy, you'd need to start some of the kids out with 10 marshmallows. Then if they choose to gamble and don't get another 3, their parents come in and make up the difference.

Then they go on Twitter to brag about how nobody gave them nothing, and they're successful because of hard work.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Red Bones posted:

There's a good book by an economist called Richard Thaler called 'Misbehaving' - he is one of the economists that eventually managed to shift the field away from this point of view. It has been a few years since I read it so I might be getting some of the details slightly wrong, but economics shifted at some point (I think post-WWII, but it might have been earlier?) towards a model that assumed that a human being would always assess a situation and then choose the option with the greatest long-term gain 100% of the time. And this idea was incredibly pervasive within the field to the point of being the widely accepted truth, and was the basis for a lot of economic models, forecasting, etc etc. It's where the modern-day conception of the 'invisible hand of the market' as meaning 'the market will always find the greatest profit' comes from. So I suppose from the 20th century economist perspective they would have viewed mobs as being groups that were rationally making the best choice possible given their situation.

Thaler, along with two other economists (Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversky) were all separately doing research during the 70s and 80s (I think that was the timeframe) that was poking various holes in this theory. Research on very obvious things like, "if everyone is capable of making perfect long-term decisions 100% of the time, why do people need a separate savings account". There's some very funny bits in the book where he describes spending time with psychologists and sociologists, who are very surprised that what he's researching is considered notable or controversial at all.

This is a good post, but I want to point out one factual error. Kahneman and Tversky weren't economists. They were a pair of psychologists researching cognitive biases. Despite never formally studying economics, Kahneman was awarded the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics for this research. (Tversky had died by then. :()

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Vavrek posted:

This is a good post, but I want to point out one factual error. Kahneman and Tversky weren't economists. They were a pair of psychologists researching cognitive biases. Despite never formally studying economics, Kahneman was awarded the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics for this research. (Tversky had died by then. :()

I read "The undoing project", which covered the lives of Kahneman and Tversky and their impact on economics and really enjoyed it.

I should also check out Misbehaving.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/rlmcelreath/status/1280106715195650048

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

our local cop union apparently thinks this is their winning strategy in budget talks

https://twitter.com/SanFranciscoPOA/status/1276586440768385024

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/ryxcommar/status/1280268687455457281?s=21

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
"just learn R"

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1283020535501332480

The replies to this are pretty interesting, being split mostly between limited nuclear exchange, solar flare knocking out the internet, or no-deal Brexit.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TinTower posted:

The replies to this are pretty interesting, being split mostly between limited nuclear exchange, solar flare knocking out the internet, or no-deal Brexit.

Trump showing what he can do in preparation for re-election.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Is this real? How is it possible that every face has a different size, shape, and color for every single facial feature? There can’t possibly be that many different types of data.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Ariong posted:

Is this real? How is it possible that every face has a different size, shape, and color for every single facial feature? There can’t possibly be that many different types of data.

i think the data is from this article

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

I don't know how to gif but these would make a great avatar rotating between the faces.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TinTower posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVXK0CcBZaM&t=118s

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
A chart is a diagram, but is a diagram a chart?
Whatever, I don't know where else to put this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

yeeting a dead horse

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wifi Toilet posted:

So we're exploding a horse, but we're also concerned about safety? Just what exactly is the goal, here?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Memento posted:

So we're exploding a horse, but we're also concerned about safety? Just what exactly is the goal, here?

Not attracting wolves.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Memento posted:

Spreading the remains out so that scavengers and etc can eat it easily, instead of it becoming a huge meat rotpile. (that could contaminate nearby water supplies )
I think it's a semi common way to handle it when you can't get the body out easily?

I vaguely remember that being the reason that one time they found an entire barn filled with dead, frozen cows.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Memento posted:

e: https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_books/npsg/explosives/Chapter11.pdf
I guess this might have been better suited for the OSHA thread

Wifi Toilet has a new favorite as of 02:34 on Jul 16, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Memento posted:

Exploding a horse safely.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

The Parks Service is preparing for a visit by the Vice President.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
The Venn diagram of 'Rancher' and 'Browsed Wikipedia article on Orion Platforms'.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

yeeting a dead horse

I giggled

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Does no one else remember that video of people trying to use this technique on a goddamn whale?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Wifi Toilet posted:

famously not reccommended for whales

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Memento posted:

I used to work with a former combat engineer and he would always tell me “There is no problem in the human condition that cannot be solved with the proper and precise application of explosives. “

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Grimey Drawer
Not exploding.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Regarde Aduck posted:

Not exploding.

Use explosives to blow up the explosives. Duh.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

EasilyConfused posted:

Use explosives to blow up the explosives. Duh.

That’s basically the safest way to dispose of unexploded ordnance or various bombs, so... yes, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I used to work with a former combat engineer and he would always tell me “There is no problem in the human condition that cannot be solved with the proper and precise application of explosives. “

the heat death of the universe