Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It seems like a lot of new things may be revealed during the Xbox Series X game showcase that MS is doing on the 23rd. A new Perfect Dark game has been rumored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

FlamingLiberal posted:

It seems like a lot of new things may be revealed during the Xbox Series X game showcase that MS is doing on the 23rd. A new Perfect Dark game has been rumored.

I have no idea what a new Perfect Dark game would need to look like in 2020 in order to seem good, but sure, I'll take it.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

BisterdDave posted:

I have no idea what a new Perfect Dark game would need to look like in 2020 in order to seem good, but sure, I'll take it.

Me either, but it absolutely needs to sound like perfect dark on the 64

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Imagine putting together a new studio, calling it quadruple A, and saddling them with a franchise that relied on fans who just were wowed by goldeneye for its success when it was last relevant

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The original Perfect Dark was good and did cool stuff that fps games are too terrible to try any more.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They've announced 4 consoles in 5 years with no new IP's announced at all in that time and from scratch they build a dream team and stick them with rescuing a series they already destroyed 15 years ago

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Then, if playground is really making a fable im gonna be going insane jabbering about how xbox under phil spencer is willfully ignorant of the huge reception a new ip like scalebound created and how many people had pledged to buy a console for it from its reveal trailer alone.
Just put safe content on gamepass i guess. Who cares that lots of fable players dont view the games positively and the series creator is a laughing stock in the industry? It has good SEO so we can save on marketing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Kinda miss the good old days when we got titles like psyops and manhunt and black.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Black is so good, and it's back compat too. Old Criterion ftw.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

They've announced 4 consoles in 5 years with no new IP's announced at all in that time and from scratch they build a dream team and stick them with rescuing a series they already destroyed 15 years ago

I don't think that's true. In five years, XGS has released or announced Cobalt, Ori and the Blind Forest, Quantum Break, ReCore, Sea of Thieves, Bleeding Edge, Grounded, Everwild, and Tell Me Why. Not saying that's an incredible list but to say they've had no new IP is wrong and there were more at the start of the generation. Besides, it really seems like Microsoft first party has purposefully been holding off for the next generation so let's see what they have to show on July 23.

Also, all signs point to The Initiative won't be at the event. I'm not convinced that it's a Perfect Dark game.

Edit: removed two iOS games because they didn't come to console. Bring Wordament to Xbox, cowards.

Zerot fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 11, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also I sort of doubt the initiative is doing Perfect Dark, it feels like the same audience that endlessly believes Banjo Kazooie 3 is coming or that Konami will ever release a non Yugioh game

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
would much rather have a greatly developed crimson skies or mechassault reboot than perfect dark

hell, would muuuuch rather have a JGR reboot

get rare to reboot Diddy Kong racing with banjo/conker as the leads as originally intended back in the OG Xbox days. Get the original composer to make a fresh soundtrack

Microsoft is dumb

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I would, genuinely, prefer a new IP out of the initiative and Microsoft buy/build a few more studios to do AA sequels/reboots of like Mechassault or Perfect Dark or whatever deep cut you want to reference to fill out gamepass's schedule.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

Also I sort of doubt the initiative is doing Perfect Dark, it feels like the same audience that endlessly believes Banjo Kazooie 3 is coming or that Konami will ever release a non Yugioh game

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vg247.com/2020/04/27/the-initiative-perfect-dark/amp/

"Ng is responsible for supporting level designers, system designers, and engineers with scripting needs, and mentions that he has “designed and scripted various weapons, gadgets, and a camera surveillance system for an unannounced project.”"

How many spy games are they making?

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 11, 2020

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zerot posted:

I don't think that's true. In five years, XGS has released or announced Cobalt, Ori and the Blind Forest, Quantum Break, ReCore, Sea of Thieves, Bleeding Edge, Grounded, Everwild, and Tell Me Why. Not saying that's an incredible list but to say they've had no new IP is wrong and there were more at the start of the generation. Besides, it really seems like Microsoft first party has purposefully been holding off for the next generation so let's see what they have to show on July 23.

Also, all signs point to The Initiative won't be at the event. I'm not convinced that it's a Perfect Dark game.

Edit: removed two iOS games because they didn't come to console. Bring Wordament to Xbox, cowards.

Ori, Quantum, recore, and sot were all announced before july 2015
The others i'll grant you even though they had little to do with developing bleeding edge since ninja theory had been working on it for a few years. So i guess thats good for them but i think my point isnt that far from correct

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 11, 2020

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

WHERE IS MY FLIGHT SIM 2020 INVITE

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1282031988501696512?s=21

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thats a goon game iirc. Its looked awesome in all the vids ive seen

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’m gonna play that game on a full stomach and regret it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm worried about how it will control but it looks cool. I love the rotoscoped animation style.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The original Perfect Dark was good and did cool stuff that fps games are too terrible to try any more.

yeah for example it let you fall down the pit in temple and you could use an xray railgun to one shot people through walls

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYqJALPVn0Y

Still in alpha but that's a lot sooner than I expected.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Nice someone showed me this yesterday and I was like "That looks like a gamepass game and I hope it is"

in other news Vermintide 2 was on sale for 7.50 yesterday so I bought that and it's fun and I was surprised that people were matchmaking with me at like 3am pst.

Edit: I also tried Sea Salt which seemed good but maybe juuuuuust a nudge away from great. Like everything needed just a bit more polish? idk. Fantastic idea and setting.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ethanol posted:

WHERE IS MY FLIGHT SIM 2020 INVITE

If you have game pass, go to the store app and click install. It's just a preorder, but it comes out in a bit over a month.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Halo 3 on PC tomorrow FOLKS! And then it's time for ODST FF in MCC!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Halo 3 on PC tomorrow FOLKS! And then it's time for ODST FF in MCC!

:ughh: xbox people

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I guess it's a couple years old, but The Messenger was put on gamepass a couple weeks back and it's a damned good game. I blitzed through it in about 12 hours, but have yet to play the free dlc and still need to grab a few powerseals (holy poo poo elemental skylands fire area). Fantastic music too.

I don't play too many pixel art games but I'd put it up there with Shovel Knight.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The linear 8-bit Ninja Gaiden part was a lot more fun than the 16-bit Metroidvania part but I did enjoy finding all the hidden stuff and the challenge of collecting them.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/14/a-closer-look-at-xbox-velocity-architecture

quote:

Assuming a 2:1 compression ratio, Xbox Series X delivers an effective 4.8 GB/s in I/O performance to the title, approximately 100x the I/O performance in current generation consoles. 
lol
congrats you got closer to sony's number with creative accounting, now where are the games

quote:

we can’t be more excited by the early results we are already seeing.
ok there's working builds just out of frame. nothing to worry about!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Ruffian Price posted:

now where are the games

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Ruffian Price posted:

lol
congrats you got closer to sony's number with creative accounting, now where are the games

Microsoft has an event next week to show off their upcoming slate of games.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Ruffian Price posted:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/14/a-closer-look-at-xbox-velocity-architecture

lol

ok there's working builds just out of frame. nothing to worry about!
drat Microsoft didn't announce a bunch of new games in a random Tuesday afternoon tech blog post! You got their rear end!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its literally a blog post in the section "games" where they announce games

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

it's just funny that they dedicated an entire press release to excusing the lower number and then provided no direct examples, it reeks of some executive getting pissed that 2.4gb/s vs 5gb/s is what everybody keeps talking about (it's not going to matter that much imo but sony was smart focusing on emphasizing that difference) and rushing the post

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It looks incredibly weak

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its a goofy move, if they really deliver 4.whogivesashit in game, just, like, demo that in cross platform games or let them speak for themselves. This is just stupid and reminds me deeply of the pointless uplcock of the bone

Barudak fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 15, 2020

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Did Microsoft ever officially say they would continue adding Xbox and Xbox 360 games to backwards compatibility once the Series X comes out?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its also extremely dumb because we all knew that figure, and using compression isnt some special thing, the ps5 has already used the exact same math to post a 9gb/s figure so this is just completely bizarre on all fronts

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
The weird thing about these articles they've been dripfeeding out is all the info in them was already known from the initial hardware details reveal, the compression details and all. It's like these were summary articles meant to be pushed out when the reveal was done at E3 or GDC or whenever and now they've instead decided to put up occasionally in between events on some pre-set schedule. Which does make them look a little silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So the impression I’m getting from MS is that they are pushing GamePass until more console exclusives come out. They keep talking about how ‘all of our games will be playable on XBone as well as the Series X’.