Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FCKGW posted:

Finally looking to sell my Mac Pro 5,1 and move to a laptop. I upgraded a bunch of stuff on it, RX580, 1tb SSD, couple other things. Wondering if I should sell it as-is or if it makes more sense to take it back to stock and then sell the upgrades separately by themselves? Also, if I end up selling on eBay anyone ever priced out how much it would cost to ship one of these things?

Some guy on [h] listed one claiming they sell for $1300 on eBay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Not sure if this is more of a hardware question or software question but I’ll ask here because it’s hardware related.

I just upgraded a mid 2009 17 inch MBP with an SSD and 8 gigs of ram (the Max). The machine is already running El Capitan (thank god) but besides say security patches is there any good reason to upgrade to high Sierra?

The machine is for a 10 year old mostly doing what kids do so I’m not so sure it would be worth it if it’s not going to make the machine a little more snappy.

Obviously just upgrading the memory and adding the SSD made things night and day.

I do love that 17 inch screen though. That’s some sexy poo poo.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Some guy on [h] listed one claiming they sell for $1300 on eBay

I mean, you can check the prices of sold listing and they get up there but the BIN auctions always look so fishy to me
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=mac+pro+5%2C1&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

edit: The 12 core systems with 32gb+ ram are the ones fetching the real higher prices, mine is only the 6 core.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 12, 2020

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Well DVwarehouse will sell you a single-CPU 4,1 for $274, it can be flashed into a 5,1 for free, a Xeon w3680 is $50, a RX 580 is about $130, plus RAM and a SSD. If that sells for a thousand bucks, I'd guess someone is making a decent profit.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I have a 2006 MacBook Pro that has Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on it. I want to reset it to factory so I can dispose or sell (why people buy these is beyond me), but it looks like you can only totally wipe it without being able to reinstall an OS. I'd have to update to Lion first, but I don't know how to do that since it sounds like the App Store was the way in the past. I only see Catalina on there now. Anyone know?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
throw it in the trash

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KingKapalone posted:

I have a 2006 MacBook Pro that has Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on it. I want to reset it to factory so I can dispose or sell (why people buy these is beyond me), but it looks like you can only totally wipe it without being able to reinstall an OS. I'd have to update to Lion first, but I don't know how to do that since it sounds like the App Store was the way in the past. I only see Catalina on there now. Anyone know?

Remove the bottom screws, take the disk away, dban it on another computer, reinstall it and give it away.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I don’t think there’s any issue doing a secure wipe and re-install from a USB drive? Lion is probably only needed if you want to do Internet recovery.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FCKGW posted:

I mean, you can check the prices of sold listing and they get up there but the BIN auctions always look so fishy to me
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=mac+pro+5%2C1&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

edit: The 12 core systems with 32gb+ ram are the ones fetching the real higher prices, mine is only the 6 core.

Was kind of expecting them to be sold by those MAC OS X 2019 UPGRADED TO CURRENT MODEL SPECS

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Yeah, the dual CPU tray alone was like $500 last time I checked.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Lazyhound posted:

I don’t think there’s any issue doing a secure wipe and re-install from a USB drive? Lion is probably only needed if you want to do Internet recovery.

Is there a way to make an OS re-install bootable USB from the OS itself? Don't have access to any sort of DVD and don't plan on buying an OS I don't use.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

Is there a way to make an OS re-install bootable USB from the OS itself? Don't have access to any sort of DVD and don't plan on buying an OS I don't use.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Have you followed those instructions?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

I assume that doesn't work for Snow Leopard since it only lists the four most current OSs?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

KingKapalone posted:

I assume that doesn't work for Snow Leopard since it only lists the four most current OSs?

Snow Leopard came on a DVD only. You can make a USB if you find a garden of Macintosh stuff and use disk utility to restore the image to the USB.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Daniel Bryan posted:

a garden of Macintosh stuff

lol

I don’t think you need to be intentionally obtuse like that. It’s technically :filez: but it’s all long-discontinued stuff.

If Apple gave a poo poo they’d have had the site nuked from orbit a decade ago. I’m sure it’s what tons of service providers, etc have used to save old Macs too. Hell, I’d wager somebody on an official Apple service call has sent a customer there at least once.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Daniel Bryan posted:

Snow Leopard came on a DVD only.

with the exception of special builds for the 2010 airs that shipped on usb keys with the machine, i think

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I have some of those, they're tiny white USB sticks.

Only USB 2.0 so they're slow af

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Godzilla07 posted:

The first big problem I've found with my 16" MBP: plugging in my external monitor via HDMI through my USB-C hub causes the dGPU to draw max power, which in turn causes the fans to spin to half-speed even at idle. It still happens even with the laptop in clamshell mode, and the display's resolution is lower than the MBP's display resolution.

Not sure if this is a bug with the laptop, or the adapter because USB-C is a mess. I think the cheap way to solve this problem is a USB-C to DisplayPort cable, and the expensive way is a Thunderbolt 3 dock that costs more than an iPad.

Update: I have tried both of these solutions to see if they would fix the problem of my 16" MBP's fans spinning up when an external monitor is connected. Neither solution has worked. In both cases, the AMD dGPU is drawing 18-20W in casual computing/productivity work, causing the MBP's fan to spin up to 35-40% whereas the MBP's fan is at idle in the same workload when the external display is not connected. This happens in clamshell mode too. I have the upgraded retail config of the 16" MBP (2.3 i9/16GB/1TB/4GB 5500M.)

Do I blame Apple for allowing this to ship in the first place, or do I blame AMD because I know they can't write graphics drivers worth a poo poo even on Windows?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Why not both?

Or wait for Apple to actually fix it in the next 16-inch revision which hopefully will include 10th gen CPUs

Edit: You don't have the hallowed 5600M with HBM2 VRAM, do you?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 14, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Why not both?

Or wait for Apple to actually fix it in the next 16-inch revision which hopefully will include 10th gen ARM CPUs

I think that is what you mean.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Okay but then he gets a whole new set of problems?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 14, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m personally hoping ArmBook includes an LTE or 5G modem. Even if it’s a BTO option. I’d be all over that on day one. Heck, make it an eSIM thing and I’m not sure you even need to have a SIM slot to accommodate.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Martytoof posted:

I’m personally hoping ArmBook includes an LTE or 5G modem. Even if it’s a BTO option. I’d be all over that on day one. Heck, make it an eSIM thing and I’m not sure you even need to have a SIM slot to accommodate.

Yes and honestly, why the gently caress not, other than physically putting the modem down on the board, which if they bought in even more bulk would only help them. Just put the same one you put in the ipad or iphone on. The silicon is obviously "ready" for it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well, I mean, for the same reason you have an LTE and non-LTE iPad SKU. Saves a buck or two I guess. I don’t even care if it’s the default build, as long as I have the option I would be pleased as punch to pay them an extra hundred or two for their dollar in parts.

But it makes sense to me, given the convergence.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I would be pleased as punch to pay them an extra hundred or two for their dollar in parts.

Thread title

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Got my 15" Pro back after battery replacement from Apple. New battery is 288 days old. I realize they don't make them the week before but having almost a year on it kind of stinks.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Does it have any cycles on it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Does it have any cycles on it?

Nope. Just sat on the shelf longer than I thought.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Martytoof posted:

It's pretty unbelievable that we've had iPads for almost a decade and laptops almost never have modems. Kanye was tweeting about it ages ago like "just make a laptop that can just go on the internet like iPads do" and yet nothing has been done.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Most business laptops can have it as a BTO but it's like $130 extra.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

well why not posted:

It's pretty unbelievable that we've had iPads for almost a decade and laptops almost never have modems. Kanye was tweeting about it ages ago like "just make a laptop that can just go on the internet like iPads do" and yet nothing has been done.

once upon a time you could buy a MacBook Pro that would let you put a cellular modem in it if you wanted to

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I also seem to remember Verizon and T-Mobile sold 1st (and 2nd?) gen MBAs with 3G modems in them.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

4G LTE is the only decent thing about the Surface Pro X.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Some of our high end business laptops have 4G and zero of them have a sim inside. Given how pretty much every user has a hotspot-capable phone, it's wasted money(in our case 250€/laptop).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Some of our high end business laptops have 4G and zero of them have a sim inside. Given how pretty much every user has a hotspot-capable phone, it's wasted money(in our case 250€/laptop).

Yeah I'll be honest I have LTE in my iPad and while I do use it (it's a cheap grandfathered TMobile plan), I also have my phone with me so I could just hotspot nearly as easy.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I’m willing to bet that like 90% of iPads sold don’t have sim slots. It’s a bit of a weird comparison.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sri.Theo posted:

I’m willing to bet that like 90% of iPads sold don’t have sim slots. It’s a bit of a weird comparison.

An ipad without a sim slot will lose some sensors like gps so a non-negligible amount of ipads will be sold with a lte modem just for that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sri.Theo posted:

I'd be willing to be 90% of Macs sold wouldn't be sold with a sim slot either lol.

My point is that most people have their phones(which is a hotspot) so the number of people that would actually use a Mac with a sim is probably comically low at this point.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fully appreciate that people who have a laptop but not a tether-capable phone are low, approaching zero, but I'm still hoping out hope that it's a BTO option on ArmBooks for the same reason that I bought an LTE iPad Pro -- because I want the freedom to not rely on my phone while traveling.

I mean, post-apocalyptic traveling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Sri.Theo posted:

This isn't true because a huge chunk of iPads are LTE models sold to businesses for their traveling employees.