Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

none of those other things have a small chance of permanently loving over your character despite surviving the encounter/killing the threat

but you know this, and are just being disingenuous for fun, so im not sure why i'm bothering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

someone awful. posted:

none of those other things have a small chance of permanently loving over your character despite surviving the encounter/killing the threat

but you know this, and are just being disingenuous for fun, so im not sure why i'm bothering

They do, however, have a chance of "permanently loving over" your character via permanent death

I don't know where you discern disingenuousness from me, I've been active assisting development in this game since .03. I don't like malmutate, flaying, torment, or hellfire, but I honestly don't think any of them should be removed or changed. All four have ended characters for me. Part of roguelike life in crawl. I won't apologize for these views.

Delver chat really needs to pick up. Troll is probably the best species to use with this background. I found a quick +6 tower shield with sInv and got mahkleb quickly. I can't tell if anyone else has won with one yet but I think I have a good chance to be one of the first. And if one of those four aforementioned dickhead abilities kills me, like they have before, so be it!

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Are y’all really still arguing with the person who was getting basic facts about old versions of the game wrong (why would you even think Reavers have berserk, they’re conj/melee hybrids)

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

okay, not only has a delver been won already, a centaur delver has been won. Today. what the gently caress?

https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/Lightli/morgue-Lightli-20200714-040905.txt

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I know this guy is a disingenuous troll but he's not even trying at this point. Every single one of the conditions he listed have multiple ways for any given character to combat, withstand, or outright negate, while completely ignoring the fact that they're most commonly bitched about when they come from Hell effects which are completely RNG and no one actually likes dealing with. Compared to Malmutate which in current Trunk has exactly one way to do any of that and it's a god.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

PG-13 SEX DUNGEON posted:

okay, not only has a delver been won already, a centaur delver has been won. Today. what the gently caress?

You might have noticed earlier if you actually bothered reading what other people post in the thread:

the Orb of Zot posted:

Centaurs are dead. Farewell, most overpowered species of the game.

Fortunately, there was an incredibly small period of time between the addition of the delver background and removal of Centaurs as a playable species, allowing for me to do one last game and win what will almost certainly be the least played combo in crawl's history.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Since I'm in gripe mode, I might as well talk about a flavor thing that has been bothering me.

One thing I really liked about races in Crawl is that for a lot of them, they actually showed up as enemies. Some are basic enemies like ogres, while others would show up in the form of unique NPCs. For awhile the number of player species represented through enemies actually increased, such as with the addition of numerous spriggan enemies. Its a small thing but I liked things like this. Especially when the enemies were designed to reflect builds a player might actually use for a species.

But some of those enemies have been removed, either cut entirely or through rebranding to a more mundane counterpart. I only bring this up cause removing centaurs means there's one less of those species that you could play as and see as an enemy. And I liked that for flavor. Plus it also helps you get an idea of what exactly a species is like when you see them as an enemy. I just wish more of the new species got represented as enemies.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

McGavin posted:

You might have noticed earlier if you actually bothered reading what other people post in the thread:

This loving rules. I missed it, yes, I don't read every single post. Find forgiveness for me. Thanks.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i enjoyed the roving bands of formicids who were around for like, five seconds of crawl time. just wandering around the dungeon, chewing up the walls and spamming poison magic in their weird flower-print bathrobes.

terrible enemy design, and i completely understand why they (and all wall-digging enemies) are gone, but they were fun.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

someone awful. posted:

i enjoyed the roving bands of formicids who were around for like, five seconds of crawl time. just wandering around the dungeon, chewing up the walls and spamming poison magic in their weird flower-print bathrobes.

terrible enemy design, and i completely understand why they (and all wall-digging enemies) are gone, but they were fun.

I actually think from a game design standpoint formicids should be an enemy that shows up in Spider. The reason for this is because Spider has an issue where you don't get anything useful out of it lootwise. Snake can actually provide you with a good chunk of loot from the naga enemies that may be helpful for your character. Adding formicid enemies that use equipment to Spider would help with that a bit, and make me less likely to go "aw man spider again" like I usually do.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

someone awful. posted:

Bad news: certain trolls enemies still dig, and those elf elementalst...

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Internet Kraken posted:

I actually think from a game design standpoint formicids should be an enemy that shows up in Spider. The reason for this is because Spider has an issue where you don't get anything useful out of it lootwise. Snake can actually provide you with a good chunk of loot from the naga enemies that may be helpful for your character. Adding formicid enemies that use equipment to Spider would help with that a bit, and make me less likely to go "aw man spider again" like I usually do.

Fr: alternate to spider, the ant farm. Full of ants and formicids.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Every N turns the level gets picked up and shaken by a child.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Captainsalami posted:

Fr: alternate to spider, the ant farm. Full of ants and formicids.

Sorry but you need to come up with a way for that to start with the letter S, otherwise its not viable as a Lair branch.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Zodack posted:

As someone who really enjoys Crawl but is so bad they have only ever touched the Orb once, seeing this kind of discussion coming from both sides - even though it is heated - is incredibly interesting and helps solidify some nebulous thoughts I've had about the game floating around.

I have absolutely no authority to speak on any of the changes, other than I get a constant feeling of enjoying new things they add (Frozen Ramparts rules, and throwing Ignite Poison into the starting book was very helpful for me) but also a feeling of loss for reasons I can't put my finger on since I don't know the game well. With regards to races, I guess I'm in the "why can't we have both" camp, because I see a glut of options as a good thing. Roguelikes, at least to me, are an amalgam of crunch and balance that isn't perfect but presents at least a convincing illusion of a massive number of impactful choices to be made. The "Requirements" talk is something that's always been in my brain but not something I've ever quantified.

I, and my friends who do enjoy the game, were drawn to it precisely because it was a looming mess of systems that seemed both modern and archaic. The first time I remember going "huh, that was weird" was when High Elf was removed. Until then I had always been under the assumption the game only underwent positive development or re-balancing, and not having things removed with no replacement. I'm not exactly saying losing a race was bad because I honestly couldn't tell you how High Elf was different than Deep Elf other than it probably had more HP and less magical aptitude, but it felt weird to lose it.

This might be an incredibly dumb anecdote, but I remember once selling the game to one of my friends by telling him that casting Shatter or Lee's Rapid Deconstruction on a god altar would sometimes make the god blow you up. To this day I still don't know if that is true, or something I misremembered, or something I made up in my head about the game. But it's something that is cool and that I a) would not be surprised to learn exists in Old Crawl and b) suspect that if it did exist was removed for being dumb and pointless

Not trying to say I'm hard into either camp since, you know, I'm stupid and bad at the game, but that's the general atmosphere I get from being someone who has played on and off for a few years and doesn't follow the development too closely outside of lurking this thread.

Hey pro tip from this post: one of the biggest problems with the devs is ignoring people like you and the input you would have on the game, and feeling like you have no authority to speak on those changes is part of the problem (That isn't your fault, mind, but rather the culture built up around providing feedback and those that developers listen to people.)

New or less-skilled player feedback is in fact vastly more important than that of people who have played the game for decades. Statistically, more people playing a game at any time are new or casually doing so. Crawl used to be one of the most popular roguelikes around due to relative player friendliness and not as hard a focus on being crushingly difficult as most others.

I actively turn people away from Crawl when asking about what roguelikes to play due to how incredibly unfriendly and unlikely to succeed people are at it now, and I have not met someone new getting into it for like five years when I had frequently done so before that. It's the posterboy for games that refuse to accept the feedback of people who don't want to play in hyper-specific ways, like the release-frequency tournaments. There was a period in Slay the Spire's development cycle that I was terrified it would go down Crawl's path because the primary feedback that was being sent back was people who cared about playing on the highest Ascension levels, because casual players are less likely to provide feedback at all. But the moment they started making those changes, they got lots of pushback, and for good reason - it was making the primary playerbase's experience (almost exclusively people playing one ascension 0 or 1,) worse.

Crawl went the opposite route and has fostered that playerbase of dedicated players who want it to be more and more challenging and streamlined and simple, and that's tragic to me. It's impossible to recommend anymore. I wouldn't want to play the game without having like 8 years of experience going as far back as 0.7, like my own. It just wouldn't be fun.

Casual feedback is something that developers have to seek out, rather than receiving passively, and they never bothered.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Is gooncrawl borked on CKO for anyone else? When I try I just see a bit of glitchy interface and then it crashes. Now that I've done my goal of beating vanilla offline I wanted to try playing both gooncrawl and online, but I can't get it to start.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'd actually be curious as to what the winrate of modern Crawl is compared to older versions, cause when I played 0.23 it felt pretty loving hard to me and this is coming from someone that has beaten the game over 100 times. I can't imagine what its like trying to learn the game now.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

Is gooncrawl borked on CKO for anyone else? When I try I just see a bit of glitchy interface and then it crashes. Now that I've done my goal of beating vanilla offline I wanted to try playing both gooncrawl and online, but I can't get it to start.

if you had an old save on there from ages ago or something, it probably got corrupted, since gooncrawl updates don't ask you to update to the latest patch or anything, they just kind of... try to run your old outdated save on a bunch of updates that make it explode. you'll have to send an email or something to the cko admin (or yell at them on IRC) to get them to wipe your gooncrawl save.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I've won around 100 times, done greaterplayer, mostly between .11-.16 or so, and yeah the game does feel significantly harder than it used to be. but i've been chalking that up to not being hyperfamiliar with everything that's changed in the last several years, and just not having any patience.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd actually be curious as to what the winrate of modern Crawl is compared to older versions, cause when I played 0.23 it felt pretty loving hard to me and this is coming from someone that has beaten the game over 100 times. I can't imagine what its like trying to learn the game now.

My experience is that I could flex a prettry strong winrate (30% - 50% or so?) on casters in the heyday of 0.10 - 0.15ish. Modern patches have left me not really touching casters as I do think they are substantially more difficult to win with. If I just want to collect a 'W', I'd just play a melee dude now, and I do think my winrate is probably sub 30% even if I'm playing to streak. I do think the game has gotten overall slightly more difficult, and I think casters have gotten substantially more difficult. Hard to know though - I'm not as strong of a player as I was in my peak and a lower winrate might just be a manifestation of that.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Does anyone have a link to the offline Goon fork of the game? The links to the May 2020 version in the OP and second post are broken, and they're not on the previous builds page AFAICT.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Several small buffs to various branches have added to the difficulty in recent years. Despite this, I wouldn't say the devs only cater to the hardcore crowd. There have been a lot of changes that aim to make the game more approachable and learnable.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Sundae posted:

Does anyone have a link to the offline Goon fork of the game? The links to the May 2020 version in the OP and second post are broken, and they're not on the previous builds page AFAICT.

Linux build (May 11, 2020): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HwUSHBoEuQk26kzz3JEkC2geUDe7RSuE/view?usp=sharing
Windows build (May 11, 2020): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wze3yNQoF6KBeGDQ9Ew21M_crc7vd-f7/view?usp=sharing

I copied the links wrong when I edited them in, sorry.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Internet Kraken posted:

Sorry but you need to come up with a way for that to start with the letter S, otherwise its not viable as a Lair branch.

Sant pit

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

Several small buffs to various branches have added to the difficulty in recent years. Despite this, I wouldn't say the devs only cater to the hardcore crowd. There have been a lot of changes that aim to make the game more approachable and learnable.

Also the game has been shortened significantly (shorter branches, shorter dungeon, loss of Hive) and iirc while the xp deficit was largely made up by the introduction of Depths, early/midgame was always the deadliest part of the game outside of extended and now there are fewer sources of xp at that point.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

mdct posted:

Hey pro tip from this post: one of the biggest problems with the devs is ignoring people like you and the input you would have on the game, and feeling like you have no authority to speak on those changes is part of the problem (That isn't your fault, mind, but rather the culture built up around providing feedback and those that developers listen to people.)

New or less-skilled player feedback is in fact vastly more important than that of people who have played the game for decades. Statistically, more people playing a game at any time are new or casually doing so. Crawl used to be one of the most popular roguelikes around due to relative player friendliness and not as hard a focus on being crushingly difficult as most others.

I actively turn people away from Crawl when asking about what roguelikes to play due to how incredibly unfriendly and unlikely to succeed people are at it now, and I have not met someone new getting into it for like five years when I had frequently done so before that. It's the posterboy for games that refuse to accept the feedback of people who don't want to play in hyper-specific ways, like the release-frequency tournaments. There was a period in Slay the Spire's development cycle that I was terrified it would go down Crawl's path because the primary feedback that was being sent back was people who cared about playing on the highest Ascension levels, because casual players are less likely to provide feedback at all. But the moment they started making those changes, they got lots of pushback, and for good reason - it was making the primary playerbase's experience (almost exclusively people playing one ascension 0 or 1,) worse.

Crawl went the opposite route and has fostered that playerbase of dedicated players who want it to be more and more challenging and streamlined and simple, and that's tragic to me. It's impossible to recommend anymore. I wouldn't want to play the game without having like 8 years of experience going as far back as 0.7, like my own. It just wouldn't be fun.

Casual feedback is something that developers have to seek out, rather than receiving passively, and they never bothered.

This is the post the devs need to read

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

anyone know how to get ahold of whoever is behind bcrawl? i've been trying it out and it's pretty fun, but their archaeologist background seems to be not functioning correctly. you just start with the dusty tome and not the locked crate, and the dusty tome never reveals itself to be anything, either.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

It's insane to me how someone would say that 0.25 would be harder to learn or less fun for a total newb than say, 0.7 or even 0.13. What exactly is it that makes the current game "impossible to recommend" because I'm not seeing it?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

What exactly is it that makes the current game "impossible to recommend"?

The devs, mostly.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

McGavin posted:

The devs, mostly.

Thankfully the devs aren't implemented as an enemy in the game, so all is well.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

someone awful. posted:

anyone know how to get ahold of whoever is behind bcrawl? i've been trying it out and it's pretty fun, but their archaeologist background seems to be not functioning correctly. you just start with the dusty tome and not the locked crate, and the dusty tome never reveals itself to be anything, either.

Username is bhauth, here's the GitHub to leave an issue if you can't find them on Discord somewhere and don't want to log into Tavern:

https://github.com/b-crawl/bcrawl

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Man this thread was exciting for a little bit!

All I can do is reiterate my mantra of Thank God for Gooncrawl, Thank God for Floodkiller.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

It's insane to me how someone would say that 0.25 would be harder to learn or less fun for a total newb than say, 0.7 or even 0.13. What exactly is it that makes the current game "impossible to recommend" because I'm not seeing it?

There are a few reasons why this might be.

1. Casting is basically inaccessible to new players, for several reasons. They include the lack of beginning casting background, a bunch of new monsters added that can shred casters mercilessly, the lack of clear spell goals with the deletion of the generalists spells. All this and more means casting is very hard to learn, and very unrewarding as a player until you've acquired a pretty substantial knowledge about the game. I've traditionally recommended Crawl to players, but with the most recent deletion of bolts and stuff, I no longer do so since casting is such a nonstarter.

2. The game is built exclusively for experienced players. This has been at least partially true since day one, but more and more this is the case. Esoteric and orphaned mechanics litter the game and make it hard to figure out what's important and what's not (Traps, Stats, Weapon Delay, etc.). Some of these are worth their friction for what they give back in depth e.g. weapon delay, but some like Traps make no sense even after you explain it to players.

3. The game is not rewarding to experience. Older versions of Crawl had this promise of dumping really cool items and giving you some truly busted poo poo that was somewhat intuitive to put together. Those things might be effects like Control Teleport, or a Wand of Healing / Haste, or even just getting a book with Bolt of Fire pre-lair as a FE. The list of these things goes on, but the point here is that modern Crawl doesn't want you to be able to color outside the lines and has trimmed so much of that stuff away in the name of targeting it's high end players that it forgot that that is a big part of hooking new players into this world - giving them access to crazy stuff. cTele probably shouldn't exist, sure, but it's important to understand the role of those kinds of effects and what they mean for someone other that they guy going for a sub 30-minute win. Crawl also still has some of these kinds of moments, but they are not designed and the relative rarity of them is a disservice to new players.

All of this comes back to what I spoke about previous: The adventure is dead and the game is no longer about exploration and discovery. A lot of it has been replaced with a bunch of calculated decisions that are explicitly solvable. For all it's fault's ADOM gets the idea of 'Adventure' very right, and I feel that's big part of the roguelike identity that has all but vanished from Crawl. It's a big reason why I don't recommend the game any more.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

There are a few reasons why this might be.

1. Casting is basically inaccessible to new players, for several reasons. They include the lack of beginning casting background, a bunch of new monsters added that can shred casters mercilessly, the lack of clear spell goals with the deletion of the generalists spells. All this and more means casting is very hard to learn, and very unrewarding as a player until you've acquired a pretty substantial knowledge about the game. I've traditionally recommended Crawl to players, but with the most recent deletion of bolts and stuff, I no longer do so since casting is such a nonstarter.

2. The game is built exclusively for experienced players. This has been at least partially true since day one, but more and more this is the case. Esoteric and orphaned mechanics litter the game and make it hard to figure out what's important and what's not (Traps, Stats, Weapon Delay, etc.). Some of these are worth their friction for what they give back in depth e.g. weapon delay, but some like Traps make no sense even after you explain it to players.

3. The game is not rewarding to experience. Older versions of Crawl had this promise of dumping really cool items and giving you some truly busted poo poo that was somewhat intuitive to put together. Those things might be effects like Control Teleport, or a Wand of Healing / Haste, or even just getting a book with Bolt of Fire pre-lair as a FE. The list of these things goes on, but the point here is that modern Crawl doesn't want you to be able to color outside the lines and has trimmed so much of that stuff away in the name of targeting it's high end players that it forgot that that is a big part of hooking new players into this world - giving them access to crazy stuff. cTele probably shouldn't exist, sure, but it's important to understand the role of those kinds of effects and what they mean for someone other that they guy going for a sub 30-minute win. Crawl also still has some of these kinds of moments, but they are not designed and the relative rarity of them is a disservice to new players.

All of this comes back to what I spoke about previous: The adventure is dead and the game is no longer about exploration and discovery. A lot of it has been replaced with a bunch of calculated decisions that are explicitly solvable. For all it's fault's ADOM gets the idea of 'Adventure' very right, and I feel that's big part of the roguelike identity that has all but vanished from Crawl. It's a big reason why I don't recommend the game any more.

I don't think spellcasting has ever been explicitly well explained in the game, but you may have a point that new people could end up with a "now what" moment with their spellcasting characters. Still, this has always been the case.

I don't really get your second point. Traps are visible and can be examined. How do they not make sense? There's plenty of walkthroughs and strategy guides around to explain what's important and what's not.

Your third point I completely disagree with. The game is still extremely rewarding and some of the loot and god mechanics are just insane. The single most insane thing (Be) is even accessible right in the background selection menu if you want.

I do agree that there's no adventure in crawl for me as well, but that's just because I've played it enough. A new player will definitely have a good (or bad) time with all the branches and minibranches. Extended especially sucks in the adventure category. It's just a slog to get through.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

global online winrates by version

62/17864 games for * (cv=0.1): N=62/17864 (0.35%)
435/84396 games for * (cv=0.3): N=435/84396 (0.52%)
727/153796 games for * (cv=0.4): N=727/153796 (0.47%)
859/241185 games for * (cv=0.5): N=859/241185 (0.36%)
317/106202 games for * (cv=0.6): N=317/106202 (0.30%)
680/179656 games for * (cv=0.7): N=680/179656 (0.38%)
149/42390 games for * (cv=0.2): N=149/42390 (0.35%)
647/144721 games for * (cv=0.8): N=647/144721 (0.45%)
896/190444 games for * (cv=0.9): N=896/190444 (0.47%)
1422/246755 games for * (cv=0.10): N=1422/246755 (0.58%)
1134/217068 games for * (cv=0.11): N=1134/217068 (0.52%)
897/113491 games for * (cv=0.12): N=897/113491 (0.79%)
941/145530 games for * (cv=0.13): N=941/145530 (0.65%)
1101/149806 games for * (cv=0.14): N=1101/149806 (0.73%)
1921/225666 games for * (cv=0.15): N=1921/225666 (0.85%)
3097/277268 games for * (cv=0.16): N=3097/277268 (1.12%)
2907/328842 games for * (cv=0.17): N=2907/328842 (0.88%)
2583/306497 games for * (cv=0.18): N=2583/306497 (0.84%)
2820/354795 games for * (cv=0.19): N=2820/354795 (0.79%)
3368/370408 games for * (cv=0.20): N=3368/370408 (0.91%)
3846/435851 games for * (cv=0.21): N=3846/435851 (0.88%)
4172/334827 games for * (cv=0.22): N=4172/334827 (1.25%)
4288/454270 games for * (cv=0.23): N=4288/454270 (0.94%)
4479/350476 games for * (cv=0.24): N=4479/350476 (1.28%)
2164/101772 games for * (cv=0.25): N=2164/101772 (2.13%)

This data excludes dead servers but is pretty good despite not being complete

Also of note:

0.25 data is not to be taken too seriously, as wins spike during tournaments (winrate for 0.25 tournament was 3.01% and it concluded this month) and level out before the next patch.
the double damage melee bug occured during 0.16, which is why you see a dramatic difference before and afterwards.
0.22 locked ghosts behind vaults. This had a HUGE impact:

20863/435851 games for * (0.21): N=20863/435851 (4.79%)
1913/334827 games for * (0.22): N=1913/334827 (0.57%)

Bot commands used to pull this data:

!lg * cv=0.1 / won change value of cv= for the version
!lg * 0.22 / cikiller="a player ghost" change value of cikiller= to see the death rate by any monster

parthenocarpy fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 15, 2020

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Interesting numbers, thanks!

Do those not count trunk games? It seems like a lot of players play exclusively on trunk.

It would be interesting to have some way to figure out how difficult newer players are finding it. Because if fewer new players come to the game for whatever reason then you'd expect to see overall winrates go up.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

7/15/20 trunk change watch. I'm quoting what I think are the most interesting changes - just click the link to read any description further

Remove Sticks to Snakes (4 days ago, 20 files, 10+ 178-) https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/75647d05812d
Charm dispersal 🔕: Spell removals (4 days ago, 34 files, 29+ 498-) https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/2afbd45fc691
Charm dispersal 🔕: Remove the Charms school, skill, and Skalds (3 days ago, 108 files, 91+ 375-) https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/0d1730ef3969
Charming item 🔔: Scarf of Shadows (3 days ago, 11 files, 30+ 4-) https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/53798f2cc509

quote:

Re-implement the Darkness effect as a scarf ego. This ego also currently
gives 1 spell de-enhancer, since reduced LOS is very strong and allows
more spells to be in range at the edge of LOS. If that makes this item
too weak it can be removed.

The scarf slot was chosen for this effect because it seems like a better
fit compared to the amulet slot, mostly flavor wise. The effect could
work equally well as an amulet, but it seems like a better tradeoff with
the other cloak alternatives than the other amulet alternatives.
Charming item 🔔: Salamander Hide Armour (3 days ago, 14 files, 59+ 45-) https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/1e4000d64117

quote:

The Salamander hide has been on the "unrands to revise" list for a
while. Ring of Flames is too flashy for a mundane item, this commit
moves the effect to the Salamander hide, giving it rF++, rC--, a fire
enhancer, and a ring of clouds and losing +Rage.
Generalize weapon brand adjective usage (2 days ago, 1 file, 13+ 16-) https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/60992f121add
Charming item 🔔: Spectral ego (2 days ago, 18 files, 96+ 51-) https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/5ca325ea5084
Start Artificers with a spectral club (2 days ago, 2 files, 3+ 3-) https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/e385806dc8c4

quote:

The spectral ego uses evocations, which keeps with the theme of an
"evocable" start. Without weapon skill the club is still hard to use,
and the boost from the brand is limited. Even with evocations and weapon
training a spectral club quickly falls off.

From a gameplay point of view, this should give Ar some skill-based
survivability tools that aren't permanent consumables.

From a flavour stance this is really cool.

From a new-player experience I worry that it will mislead new players
into sticking with Maces & Flails; the hope is the starting description
and skill training will be sufficient to steer past the flashiness.
Revise Beastly Appendange (72 minutes ago, 9 files, 128+ 106-) https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/1ed4c445ac09

quote:

This commit addresses both of those, while buffing the spell slightly to
address concerns that Tm is too weak without Sticks to Snakes as a
crutch. Beastly appendage now melds aux armour slots, weapons, and
shields and gives Horns 2 and Talons 2 (Op keep tentacle spike 3). Two
level 2 aux attacks was selected over a single level 3 so that the spell
synergizes better with Wereblood.

parthenocarpy fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 15, 2020

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

odiv posted:

Interesting numbers, thanks!

Do those not count trunk games? It seems like a lot of players play exclusively on trunk.

This is correct - only stable version games are counted. I play trunk exclusively along with most people I associate with.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Winrate mostly seems in the same range across versions. I'd guess that would be because the devs working to unobfuscate a lot of the game has made it more accessible in spite of increased difficulty.

Anyways if charms is completely gone that just cements my desire to never play the modern versions. Charms used to be my favorite spell school and I used it on so many of my favorite classes. Watching the devs just trash it over the years before finally culling it completely is pretty heart-breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

RIP Charms. Skald was one of my favorite backgrounds. And I never cared if Haste was one of the dreaded 'no-brainers', being able to cast it was fun.