Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I found the Companion Cube for that guy and he gave me some Gordon Freeman glasses, there's another Half-Life symbol email where he tells me to chill out in my private room but I can't figure out what to do there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's baffling to me that he hasn't attempted to make any sort of actual short film/movie of any sort yet. He has everything he needs to do it.

He reminds me a lot of Thomas Bangalter from Daft Punk who obsessed over photography and cinematography magazines for years on end and then finally went and shot his own art film (Electroma) and visually it looks like something a true established cinematographer did. I assume he's going to do it someday and I also assume it's going to be similarly shockingly accomplished despite being a debut.

i think he just likes games more

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rabidsquid posted:

i'm not sure what you mean. if you're wearing the oxygen mask it's like holding your breath but even harder to detect. i fired the game up yesterday to check it out and if you walk slowly or crouch you almost have to physically bump into a BT for it to notice you, and you get the prompt to cut their cord before any of them ever notices you

interestingly i discovered you can cover your mouth while wearing it still, he puts his hand over the breathing apparatus. i genuinely have no idea what situation you would need to do this since the mask itself seems to drop the detection level to really really low levels and so far as i know none of the BTs have a wider detection range or anything. maybe once they've already detected you it helps?

I didn't realize you meant with the mask. I only just got it before I took a break from the game and haven't really messed around with it. I thought you meant a technique in terms of how much pressure is applied to the controller (which strikes me as a very Kojima thing).

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

well that actually does exist, although not for specifically avoiding BT detection. a lot of people talk about how if you steady yourself you BASICALLY won't fall down, but you can. but if you walk very slowly you also basically will never fall down and you also won't lose the extra bit of stamina. there is actually a lot of contextual animations for varying walking speeds and terrain. i mostly started to figure this out when walking through snow but you could probably take advantage much earlier.

most people seem to play the game mashing as far forward on the stick as possible and bracing though and miss all of the really great animations. i hate the ~verisimilitude~ argument but walking around at various paces really enhances the game for me and actually does have some mechanical benefit in rough terrain.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Spent the night building bridges on the way to Waystation West and other structures. Tomorrow it's off to lovely Wind Farm.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

rabidsquid posted:

well that actually does exist, although not for specifically avoiding BT detection. a lot of people talk about how if you steady yourself you BASICALLY won't fall down, but you can. but if you walk very slowly you also basically will never fall down and you also won't lose the extra bit of stamina. there is actually a lot of contextual animations for varying walking speeds and terrain. i mostly started to figure this out when walking through snow but you could probably take advantage much earlier.

most people seem to play the game mashing as far forward on the stick as possible and bracing though and miss all of the really great animations. i hate the ~verisimilitude~ argument but walking around at various paces really enhances the game for me and actually does have some mechanical benefit in rough terrain.

The MKB controls on the PC version are so drat cool because you can customize how fast the 'walk' toggle button actually makes you walk in the options menu. It's a 0%-100% slider so there's a ton of granularity, and I can definitely picture someone on MKB about to go down a steep cliff so they pause real quick and set the walk toggle speed to like 5% so Sam creeps down real slow for them.

edit: Also yeah regarding the Oxygen Mask, it's sorta tied into how BT detection works. BTs can hear Sam's breathing MUCH easier than his footsteps, but you can't normally see this for yourself because Sam automatically walks when you're holding your breath. What the Oxygen Mask does is it consumes suit battery in exchange for making the breathing completely silent so you don't have to hold it. Then all you're left with is Sam's footsteps, which are whisper-quiet if you're walking or crouch-walking. However, you don't actually have to walk in most situations while wearing it because Sam's normal jogging-speed footsteps aren't very loud. It basically reduces the BT's awareness to a small bubble around them unless you're sprinting.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 15, 2020

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Double dipped and not regretting it. The PC improvements on frame rate alone are stunning. Detail is so good.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've been looking forward to this coming onto PC not so I can double dip but to hear new players experiences and to give me a great excuse to go back and finish my own play through

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay, could I get a spoiler-free, early-game summary of how the heck I should handle BTs? I'm right at the beginning of episode 2, and all three encounters I've had feel really random- standing still seems to get me instantly noticed, moving gets me noticed, crouching gets me noticed. Scanning almost doesn't seem worth it, since the time it takes to stand still and ping usually means I get spotted. The only thing I've found kinda-sorta works is holding my breath, duck walking 30 feet away, catching my breath (and hoping like heck I didn't stop next to a BT), then repeating until I'm out of range. Is that *really* how I'm supposed to handle it early game?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Watch the odradek's color and spinning speed. It always points at the nearest BT and blinks when a BT starts moving. If it's blue you're in the clear to at least crouch walk at full speed. If it's orange but holding still in a direction, there's a BT nearby that could notice you so try to walk slowly. If it starts spinning the BT has heard you and you gotta hold your breath or move away pronto. If it turns into an arrow and points, that BT knows where you are and it is upset at you.

Unless you've got a BT on your tail it's generally always safe to just stop moving completely and wait. This advice applies to traversing the terrain and stuff like wading through streams as well.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 15, 2020

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Do they actually have vision? I think a lot of my disorientation comes from genuinely not understanding their behavior- like, should 100% of my thing be built around sound management, or should I be treating them like explicit MGS guards with vision cones and ears?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Omi no Kami posted:

Do they actually have vision? I think a lot of my disorientation comes from genuinely not understanding their behavior- like, should 100% of my thing be built around sound management, or should I be treating them like explicit MGS guards with vision cones and ears?

No, they are completely blind. They can only track you by your breathing or sound. Moving slowly is super important.

Also if one of them "spots" you and starts running towards you, dont run. Hold your breath and slowly move away.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 15, 2020

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The other strategy for BTs is to build a post box before their area, put your stuff in it except for blood weapons, and intentionally get caught. Then kill the big one. It clears the area for a while and you get a lot of crystals.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I've been waiting to play this for so long and I've really enjoyed the four hours I put into it yesterday.

Looking forward to more deliveries tonight!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

No, they are completely blind. They can only track you by your breathing or sound. Moving slowly is super important.

Also if one of them "spots" you and starts running towards you, dont run. Hold your breath and slowly move away.

yeah, they have two modes of pursuit. when they're growling and slapping the ground in your direction, they've sensed you but can still be evaded if you keep calm and move slow. try to run and they'll upgrade into full predator mode and come after you faster than you can sprint

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Codependent Poster posted:

The other strategy for BTs is to build a post box before their area, put your stuff in it except for blood weapons, and intentionally get caught. Then kill the big one. It clears the area for a while and you get a lot of crystals.

This isn't really viable until later in the game when you get access to more anti-BT tools, but you can also get caught and then just run away from the big one until you're clear of the tar and it'll clear BTs out of the area for a bit. They will come back, so don't hang around.

I don't think the scanner ping actually highlights BTs. If you stand still for a few seconds, the BTs nearby will become more visible. Keeping an eye on where your scanner is pointing is, as was said, absolutely vital as it always points at the nearest BT.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

If you're crouching and holding your breath with R1 you have to physically bump into a BT to provoke any kind of reaction. If a section is giving you a lot of trouble you can hold your breath and sneak for a bit and then pause to catch your breath. After a bit you'll get a feel for it and you'll walk all around them with little trouble.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Drive through BT sections full speed on a vehicle and then pat yourself on the back if you make it through, or yell 'this is all loving bullshit what the gently caress' if you get caught.

It's not called 'Sneak Around with Norman Reedus' after all.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm so jealous of everyone who gets to experience this for the first time. Definitely my GOTY for 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm so jealous of everyone who gets to experience this for the first time. Definitely my GOTY for 2019

Absolutely 100%. I really couldn't believe all the bad reviews and streamers who were disappointed by it when it first came out because I thought it was awesome. I was also really impressed that Kojima's whole bullshit "I'm making a new genre called STRAND GENRE" or whatever actually turned out... true?? He did do that??? Like the online component of the game honestly feels like something I haven't experienced in other games before.

My only real complaint I had about the game is that I wish the mules and terrorists weren't a part of it at all, because I really liked the feeling of isolation you got during the rest of the game. The enemy camps made the world feel way less lonely than I wanted. Othewise the game nails the tone and setting it's going for so so well. The random porters you would run into were fine

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
How's the PC port? Particularly on lower end PCs. My rig is 5 years old and I'm under recommended until I upgrade my GPU.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Like the online component of the game honestly feels like something I haven't experienced in other games before.

Came here to ask if it's better to play this when the online is very active and it sounds like yes is the answer.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1283320210359873536

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

v1ld posted:

Came here to ask if it's better to play this when the online is very active and it sounds like yes is the answer.

There's a minimum level of activity you want but I think there's a point at which it doesn't matter how many more people are playing. Your game isn't connected to everybody, just a slice of the player base, and not everything is 100% shared.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Like the online aspect of Nier Automata I'm pretty sure it's gamed a bit to give you at least a certain base level experience no matter what the player base is or is doing

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

As you play the game and the story unfolds you'll recognize the secret reason for this and feel ashamed of your words & deeds.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I didn’t pee one single time in the entire game. I don’t feel like I missed anything. Did I miss anything?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I didn’t pee one single time in the entire game. I don’t feel like I missed anything. Did I miss anything?

mushrooms and making the baby laugh

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

How's the PC port? Particularly on lower end PCs. My rig is 5 years old and I'm under recommended until I upgrade my GPU.

Depends on what GPU you have of course but it runs very well in general, a modest GPU like the RX480 or GTX1060 can manage about 60-80fps at 1080p so even very weak GPUs should manage just fine if you're willing to cap at 30fps like the PS4 version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggnvhFSrPGE

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

repiv posted:

Depends on what GPU you have of course but it runs very well in general, a modest GPU like the RX480 or GTX1060 can manage about 60-80fps at 1080p so even very weak GPUs should manage just fine if you're willing to cap at 30fps like the PS4 version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggnvhFSrPGE

I have a GTX960. CPU and RAM are at or above recommended.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Ayy, GTX960 bros!

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So what's the deal with Ziplines and Roads?

I unlocked Ziplines and went down to grab those rare materials, but i only see Mama and mine own ziplines. Also the roads in front of the South Knot distrubtion were never completed so I did them myself and I doubt I'm the only person out 20k+ people who fixed that road up.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

I have a GTX960. CPU and RAM are at or above recommended.

This guy is getting 60fps at 1080p max settings on a 970, so I reckon a 960 should be able to pull off a solid 30fps lock. The PS4 ran it with a 30fps lock so you're no worse off :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW8RBaa7nBo

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 15, 2020

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I jokingly made a post on Twitter about how Death Stranding does a story about America better than Hamilton, but I'm now wondering if there's some truth to it. I really need to get to my next playthrough and refresh myself with the story.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

I jokingly made a post on Twitter about how Death Stranding does a story about America better than Hamilton, but I'm now wondering if there's some truth to it. I really need to get to my next playthrough and refresh myself with the story.

I'm only a few hours in and now I'm really curious to see where things go because while everyone is talking non-stop about America, it feels completely disconnected from anything remotely American in terms of culture, history etc. Like they could be talking about the need to reconnect Japan or Fantasylandia and it would have the same impact.

Otoh 'America as abstract concept as seen from Japan' is definitely somewhere on Kojima Bingo along with 'acronyms' and 'motherhood' so I'm sure it'll get more interesting weirder

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Fat_Cow posted:

I unlocked Ziplines and went down to grab those rare materials, but i only see Mama and mine own ziplines. Also the roads in front of the South Knot distrubtion were never completed so I did them myself and I doubt I'm the only person out 20k+ people who fixed that road up.

When you are online, you are put into the same pool with a limited number of players, plus there's a limit to how many structures can exist in the same area. The game regulates pretty heavily how much you see certain structures so hat's why you don't see many ziplines.

You have to complete most of the roads yourself as other players only contribute a small amount to your overall progress.

It's a very complicated system but rule of the thumb is that you aren't connected to everyone, only a small fraction of the playerbase.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 15, 2020

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer

Gato posted:

I'm only a few hours in and now I'm really curious to see where things go because while everyone is talking non-stop about America, it feels completely disconnected from anything remotely American in terms of culture, history etc. Like they could be talking about the need to reconnect Japan or Fantasylandia and it would have the same impact.

Otoh 'America as abstract concept as seen from Japan' is definitely somewhere on Kojima Bingo along with 'acronyms' and 'motherhood' so I'm sure it'll get more interesting weirder

I keep thinking about this question as I play through this game for the first time. I read this piece a few days ago and can’t stop thinking about it. Nothing to add besides quotes that struck me

https://www.pastemagazine.com/games/death-stranding/death-stranding-and-america/

quote:

This is Iceland. It’s Taiga. This is an America in name only. A place where boreal forest and volcanic rock shoot up (sometimes phallically) from tundra and subarctic hillside.

It’s alienating. But no matter how much close reading I do, it’s never invigorating or elucidating. There’s no real supportive, definitive readings to be made here. The characters don’t comment on the landscape in a way that explains how this topography is so vastly different from any existing one within the continental United States signaled by the game.

And there’s plenty of readings I could make. I could make brash, definitive statements that Hideo Kojima’s vision of America is an expression of his own anxieties of America in the 21st Century.

Or that Death Stranding’s America is a wild and alien place because it is a game about manifest destiny and colonization, and it uses a wholly foreign understanding of these biomes to destabilize players who would expect a landscape like Red Dead Redemption 2’s. Or maybe he just doesn’t know what the hell America looks like.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man i just hooked up the engineer and life got so much easier.

this game is really loving unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Fat_Cow posted:

You need to progress the story a little more to start seeing other players' zipline towers, but don't expect to find functional networks of them.

All of the roads after the first few you'll have to complete yourself.