Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo, we're back!

Amy and Peter (who is I!) are trying to get back into LPing, and what better time than when the entire world is closed? This time, we're tackling Outer Wilds, by Mobius Games. The story revolves around an alien community wanting nothing more than to explore the stars, trying to figure out everything it can about an ancient race of space travelers that came before. And then the sun explodes!

Neither one of us knew much about this game going in (except for the main mechanic) other than the fact that it's critically acclaimed, and we're excited to discover everything the in-game world has to offer, so please, no story spoilers. Anything else is fair game! We're recording a few episodes in advance, so if we don't respond to any comments right away, we promise that we're not ignoring you. I hope you all enjoy yet another journey with us!

Part 1: This is what you're here for, right?
Part 2: Tornadoes, Peter!
Part 3: ...Huh.
Part 4: Aw, the cockpit's damaged!
Part 5: I'm angry!
Part 6: Genuinely Amazed
Part 7: What are those guys doing in space?!
Part 8: Find me a moon, please
Part 9: Super good enough
Part 10: You're, like, an astrophysicist
Part 11: Meditate it out
Part 12: I'm stumped (LOL JK)
Part 13: I see somebody! Ha HA haha!
Part 14: Identify yourself!
Part 15: We are dead
Part 16 (Finale!): Two-Brain-Cells Pete
Bonus Episode: All right, let's blow up the universe.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hooray! I've been waiting for this. :dance: Can you fix the thread title?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Hirayuki posted:

Hooray! I've been waiting for this. :dance: Can you fix the thread title?

Oh my God, if I had a nickel for every time I do that when I'm talking about this game...

Mods? Can you please change the title of the thread from "Outer Worlds" to "Outer Wilds?" Thanks in advance.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 15, 2020

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I thought that was the joke!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:hmmyes: Honestly I probably never would've noticed even after watching, my brain has basically given up trying to differentiate between those two.

Anyway, I'm glad to see this since something about the mechanics didn't quite click enough for me to stick with it but I otherwise thought the story and setting were great.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Great to see you back guys! Loved your Witnessing and your Skatethreeing. That was 5 years ago. Wow.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

pedrovay2003 posted:

Oh my God, if I had a nickel for every time I do that when I'm talking about this game...

Mods? Can you please change the title of the thread from "Outer Worlds" to "Outer Wilds?" Thanks in advance.

Okay.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

There's a really good April Fools' prank here.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Oh great!

I had an absolutely wonderful experience with this game, looking forward to seeing it again through someone else’s fresh eyes.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

one of these is good, and one is extremely mediocre

Which one is which :iiam:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'm excited for launch!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
You're never going to actually launch are you? The surprise ending is that you spend 40 hours of the game getting prepared in increasingly silly ways only to still blow up three seconds into orbit, I bet

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Ooh, how fun! I just recently played through this have, so it'll be great to see it through fresh eyes.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This game is astounding and everyone watching the LP should buy it, complete it, and return to said LP.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

cant cook creole bream posted:

Great to see you back guys! Loved your Witnessing and your Skatethreeing. That was 5 years ago. Wow.

Aw, we appreciate the kind words. :) Those were two of our favorites, too.

Jen X posted:

This game is astounding and everyone watching the LP should buy it, complete it, and return to said LP.

This is what I've heard from a bunch of people, so I'm really excited to see if it lives up to the hype.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I think my favourite thing about this game is that more than literally any other game I can name off the top of my head, even The Witness, there's not really a single thing I can say even after a 40 minute first episode that wouldn't still be a spoiler. poo poo, was even saying that a spoiler?! Oh god-

Also I'm a big fan of misreading the word "intentionally" and thus completely missing one of the better jokes in the game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, nice, I've just been thinking about how I'd love to see this game LP'd since I'm playing it myself and currently suspecting I won't quite finish it on account of being horrible at orientation.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, part 2 is up now! It's an emotional roller coaster!

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

There's so little to say that doesn't risk being a spoiler.

I had forgotten how hard it was to get used to the flying controls. It's interesting seeing that again. Also, I was much further in the game before I learned there was an autopilot.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

idhrendur posted:

There's so little to say that doesn't risk being a spoiler.

I had forgotten how hard it was to get used to the flying controls. It's interesting seeing that again. Also, I was much further in the game before I learned there was an autopilot.

The autopilot is the only reason I can get anywhere once I'm in the air, so I'm glad I noticed it early on. Holy crap, you have my respect for making it far into the game without using it.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

pedrovay2003 posted:

Okay, part 2 is up now! It's an emotional roller coaster!

I love how the guy at the campfire totally rumbled you on having died off camera! Busted!

I think you'll be surprised how quickly piloting the ship becomes second nature. It's actually a lot sturdier than you might think.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

pedrovay2003 posted:

The autopilot is the only reason I can get anywhere once I'm in the air, so I'm glad I noticed it early on. Holy crap, you have my respect for making it far into the game without using it.

I'm pretty sure you're already better at landing than I ever got to be. Beyond that I agree that you develop skills faster than you'd imagine.

The autopilot is still useful though. So many times I missed a flyby and decided it was faster to remove my spacesuit and hop out the airlock than to make another try. All could have been avoided with the autopilot.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
One important technique for maneuvering in space is religious use of match velocity and very short, very small burns. Especially if you're maneuvering in just your suit, the best way to avoid getting flung away from an object is to always be locked on to it, and press to match velocity every second or so to ensure that you compensate for any widening (or shortening) gap between you and the object. Then you can slowly, carefully move to where you want on the object, a few metres at a time.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
I'd like to note that the expansion of the universe is a real thing that is happening in real life, and it doesn't work like you're conceiving of it. The universe doesn't really have a center, but it is getting bigger all the time. Rather than actually moving away from each other, though, it's more like there's just always more and more space between things, so everything everywhere is getting farther away from each other. Read the Wikipedia article on it if you dare.

Anyway, piloting the ship and navigating in space can be hard if you have no concept of momentum, gravity and orbital mechanics(as you've demonstrated), but just keep at it. The UI is actually really nice and helpful in this - it tells you your speed relative to the object you're locked on to(in m/s, positive means you're moving towards it and negative away from it) and has arrows indicating if your movement is aligned with it. And remember, there's no friction in a vacuum - if you go in a direction, you're gonna keep going unless you start going in another direction, or you hit something. Don't go too fast if you can't handle it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

All of the characters we've seen appear to be named after geology terms.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Boksi posted:

I'd like to note that the expansion of the universe is a real thing that is happening in real life, and it doesn't work like you're conceiving of it. The universe doesn't really have a center, but it is getting bigger all the time. Rather than actually moving away from each other, though, it's more like there's just always more and more space between things, so everything everywhere is getting farther away from each other. Read the Wikipedia article on it if you dare.

Yeah... My misinterpretation doesn't surprise me. I appreciate the explanation, though, that makes a lot of sense.

Carbon dioxide posted:

All of the characters we've seen appear to be named after geology terms.

Oh, really? I wouldn't have noticed that, thanks for pointing it out! I'm learning all kinds of stuff today.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 18, 2020

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Some spoiler-free advice to help you fly: when you have a planet/target selected, the HUD will show a couple of important items: the distance from the target and relative speed, the hud will be red if you are moving away and blue if you are moving towards the target, and lastly there will be arrows surrounding the reticle that indicate whether you are moving more to the left/right/up/down, relative to the course of the target.

For example: in this screenshot you have activated autopilot, which is accelerating because you are moving away from the target (hud is red), you are also moving left, as indicated by the very long, white, left arrow. (you can see what engines are firing by the 'cross' of lamps that are placed at the bottom of the screen, between the autopilot text menu and the damage status menu).

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Oh, the blue/red thing for distance is really helpful, thanks. I had worked out the arrows, but the colors were still a mystery to me.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The autopilot loves flying into the sun, so be warned

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yeah, that happens in an upcoming episode. It was surprising, it hadn't happened up to that point.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

effectively the autopilot will take you from A to B without considering what might be in the way. In other words, a tesla.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If you're bothered by the loading and generally bad performance, try turning down the shadows in graphics. Apparently it's one part of the game that's really badly optimized and quite the resource hog.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 3 is up now! Space is weird, guys.

anilEhilated posted:

If you're bothered by the loading and generally bad performance, try turning down the shadows in graphics. Apparently it's one part of the game that's really badly optimized and quite the resource hog.

Oh, this is good to know, thank you. The stuttering is a bit annoying, but it runs better on the SSD. I'll try turning the shadows down to optimize it.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
One minor UI thing I think would help, I'm not sure if you've realised this, but any red signals on the signalscope are on other planets.

That bug you got with the translator is really strange, I've never seen something like that before.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah the translator thing is a bug, and one I've never heard of before. Normally, the translator tool always works, and can't be broken by impacts or anything.

Anyway, the weird thing with the signals was that your signalscope has multiple channels. When you open it up, it defaults to the Outer Wilds channel (the other astronauts and their music). If you open it while close to an unidentified signal, it'll default to the channel of whatever that signal is.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah, I've never seen the translator break like that before. There's no special kinds of text or anything, all script is translatable, always. Congrats on finding a new bug? Also for managing to stumble onto the way off of White Hole Station without the text that explains how to do it.

I love Brittle Hollow. I've seen some great inhospitable settings in videos game, arguably some less hospitable than Brittle Hollow, but none of them really manage to perfectly nail the almost comical spite of the cruel god that brought this place into being. It's a nice fragile crust, whose surface exists under a endless blanket of natural artillery fire from orbital volcanoes, wrapped around a loving black hole, with the underground consisting of makeshift bridges between hanging platforms. It's completely absurd.

Pro Tips: The signalscope has different frequency profiles you can flip between. The reason you kept losing that unidentified signal is because it's in a profile you haven't found anything in yet, so you can only scan for it when you're close to a source, so when you jumped back into the geyser the signalscope switched back to the Outer Wilds frequency.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so you use the arrow keys while the signalscope is on to change to different channels. Another behavior to take note of is that if you get close enough to a signal while it is centered on your hud, the game will register the source and give it a descriptor, such as emergency beacon. Same with all the other signals.

edit: rephrased

Also you only read 1 of the 4 messages in the alien ship thingie.

double nine fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 21, 2020

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

hey, they haven't found out about that particular unidentified signal yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yeah, we're getting better about how we're using the signalscope. I don't think I put together that red = different planet, though, so that's good to know!

And yeah, the translator thing was super weird. I looked it up and could find anything about it, so I guess we just have to hope that it doesn't happen again. In space, no one can hear you glitch.

double nine posted:

Also you only read 1 of the 4 messages in the alien ship thingie.

We realized this as we were editing the video. I don't think I even noticed at the time that the one that I scanned had changed colors.