Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Ratjaculation posted:

finally a topic i actually know stuff about

who wants an :effort: discussion

I'm honestly interested because having children/not having children has both negative and positive effects and I'd like to hear it from someone who's balanced and knows what they are talking about without it devolving into a promotion for eugenics.

cat snipe:

Natalie Fartman fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

ur a qt

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Overpopulation is an issue that needs discussing, but so overconsumption is one that does too - and the latter can be addressed quickly, as opposed to increasing education standards, women's rights and access to contraceptive in developing countries for the former which will take generations.

Ageing population is an issue that is going to affect almost every developed nation in the next 30 years, but luckily we have the pleasure of witnessing a fantastic case study occurring now in China. It's previous One Child Policy is about to have the effect of having half the population as elderly.

This data is 10 years old, so bump it up a chunk and those massive population blobs are now on the verge of being old fucks. I don't doubt that China will do something barbaric to try and address the issue, though.

Luckily, we live in a world where we can access a global workforce and recruit working-age people in BREXIT... but the article hemale was reading was likely slyly about having those young people being white, like most of the discussions with declining 'native' populations.

But, if you enjoy eugenics and want to address overpopulation quickly, one American is worth about 15 people from the DRC, so you could save buckets on sharpening the guillotine.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

hemale in pain posted:

it was trying to make it sound like a bad thing because there won't be enough young people to look after all the old people lmao

What's contentious about this, it's aging demographics 101

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

im the male surplus

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It'll change a bit if the Hindu nationalists decide they want to try and outbreed the rest of South Asia. They're pushing pretty hard on the "don't let the Muslims outnumber us" angle that has been popular in the west recently.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Natalie Fartman posted:

I'm honestly interested because having children/not having children has both negative and positive effects and I'd like to hear it from someone who's balanced and knows what they are talking about without it devolving into a promotion for eugenics.

cat snipe:

Any child brought into the world is going to have to address problems as adults that we can't even fathom

to copy a previous post:

- Soil degradation: much of the UK's soil can only support around another 60 harvests (we largely harvest twice a year)
- Sea level rise: the current ice-loss rate in Antarctica is unpresidented and beyond sciences worst nightmare 10 years ago
- Land change: globally an area about half of the UK is lost to desertifcation each year now, with worsening droughts and the stuff happening in Australia, we're losing land faster than ever. By 2050 the UN estimate there could be as many as a billion climate refugees.
- Crops: Many crops only have a few degrees of variation before they fail, so with climate change that's hosed. Also systematically changing agricultural systems for new crops takes years.
- Crops (again): We use very few varieties, so very vulnerable to disease
- Biodiversity: We are in an extinction event, likely faster than any in history (including the K-T event), we need to quell this yesterday, we need to preserve and increase wild areas. A global ecological cascade will destroy systems we rely on, and many will perish.
- And a hundred other things

That said, these problems need to be addressed, and ultimately children will have the answer. If you want your own child; that's grand, if you want to adopt; great, if you want to find a child in a hotel room in portugal; fab!

I'll never understand psuedo-smart childfree fucks snubbing someone for wanting to start a family.

And if people think that only smart people can raise smart kids, then they can gently caress off too.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

im the male surplus

tinder in china must be a blast

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Ratjaculation posted:

Surely whatever grindr equivalent

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

If video games have taught me anything Boris Johnson just needs to link the fire again and begin the cycle anew.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

Lay back and think of Brexit.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

arsenal gear was right

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Natalie Fartman posted:

cat snipe:

I love my child, he is the greatest thing I have ever done with my life, also I dislike my child he has ruined my life and is more work that you could possibly imagine.

There you go!

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Ratjaculation posted:

If they could only get some of the 20-40 male surplus to match with the 70-100 female surplus

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Horace posted:

If they could only get some of the 20-40 male surplus to match with the 70-100 female surplus

jose, you're in

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
My sister had the most beautiful girl 6 months ago and I would take a full mag of bullets for her but, by god, my sisters life right now (she is a sharer) is basically my nightmare. Thanks to coming my Tedtalk.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Dravs posted:

I love my child, he is the greatest thing I have ever done with my life, also I dislike my child he has ruined my life and is more work that you could possibly imagine.

There you go!

(pauses while trying to persuade a toddler to take even one bite of his dinner)

It's true

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Small children are basically a fungus.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

looking forward to a post itt referring to 'crotch spawn' unironically

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Genuinely would love to hear the arguments about why not having kids is a bad thing, particularly when everyone I know with them constantly moans about them.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They grow rapidly and are frequently found in damp locations with piles of dung.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
My sister had a friend who would refer to children as 'gently caress trophies'

They are no longer friends

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Sudden Javelin posted:

My sister had a friend who would refer to children as 'gently caress trophies'

They are no longer friends

Sounds like your sister has no sense of humour.

MonkeyLibFront fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 15, 2020

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Genuinely would love to hear the arguments about why not having kids is a bad thing, particularly when everyone I know with them constantly moans about them.

People moan about their kids because that is slightly more acceptable than saying how amazing they are all the time.

However, people who only talk about their kids in any context are obnoxious and the worst.

my daughter read the word "happy" completely unprompted this morning and it is not possible to describe the amazing feeling that gave my neanderthal brain

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

have kids if you want

dont have kids if you dont want

you do not need to belittle the people who chose the other thing to make your choice stronger

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ratty speak to me more of our dying world :allears:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Olympic Mathlete posted:

On a personal level? It isn't a bad thing. If you don't want kids you absolutely should not have them because they're expensive, time consuming and frequently very frustrating

On a societal level an aging population is difficult to deal with so it's not a bad idea to have at least some people having kids.

I guarantee that for every horror story your friends with kids have there's multiple heartwarming ones, it's just that "he poo poo on my arm at 3am" is more easily expressed than "he gets excited about the coffee grinder and does a special dance when I use it".

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We decided to solve global hunger by overclocking the soil and now our water cooling system is leaky, the power keeps surging and the capacitors are letting out too much magic smoke.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

bring more life into the hellish maelstrom. yes. yes!!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

What's contentious about this, it's aging demographics 101

nothing. i just gonna go out and say that less people is very good even if it means old people (us and our children) are gonna be a burden. and i don't mean that in a huuugely lame emo i hate everyone way but in a i'm geniunely worried about the future of humanity/ the environment/the world if we carry on like we were.

i dunno if i'll live to see it but it'll also be very funny seeing the uk begging for more immigrants to come here

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I read that article and the global population rapidly declining after 2100 seems like a good thing to me? :shrug:

A worry I have with Covid is that things aren't ever going to go back to 'normal': we're going to get hit with one drat thing after another and life is just going to spiral downwards relentlessly from now on.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Another part of me is resolutely hoping I'll be back in the pub soon, reminiscing about: "that Covid business" and carefully ignoring any climate-related stories in the papers.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

I read that article and the global population rapidly declining after 2100 seems like a good thing to me? :shrug:

A worry I have with Covid is that things aren't ever going to go back to 'normal': we're going to get hit with one drat thing after another and life is just going to spiral downwards relentlessly from now on.

ohh after 2100? so our children's children

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yes! Now we're talking.

Maybe though i dont even need the top half of my face, cover that up too. Then we could all hold our phones up to each other and use AR to replot my actual face (or a better one) over my masked face. Or just wear my VR headset with the phone in everywhere. It could superimpose live covid risk factor above eveyones head as to how careful their app thought they had been so I could avoid the superspreaders.

technically there's no reason I can't wear a La Parka mask to tescos

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have a La Parka mask, there's mouth and nose cutouts so sadly not suitable.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

hemale in pain posted:

ohh after 2100? so our children's children

And us. In our bathchairs out on the artificial lawn under the shade of parosols to keep us from getting any more cancers, as the carebots try and encourage us to have a little sing along with some classical grime music or enjoy a rerun of Lovejoy.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

i want ratty to effort post all over me

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

ladyrat and myself are quite happy with no children for now, not to say it won't change in the future but we're def not financially in a place to have a child at the moment. Maybe i'll adopt thread poster no_one in a few years

its the same with pets, i want a dog but can't get one if i want to move across the world

this makes me sad

e: also i now want to buy a yacht and try and remember how to sail

Looke posted:

i want ratty to effort post all over me

don't compare the volume of my effort post to those people post in the ukmt because it probably couldn't produce kids anyway :(

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

i want to get a boat as well

lets run away together and explore the seven seas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Looke posted:

i want to get a boat as well

lets run away together and explore the seven seas

yes! more boat talk!

something like this for me (if i had £13,000 and a way to get it from the states)

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1970/morgan-34-3205765/

whats your flavour for our fleet?