Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is my cooking Waifu
Iron Chef Alex Goreschelli
Rachel "Bae" Ray
Big Titty Goku
Goku
View Results

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
HEY GBS,

A few weeks back I let GBS pick my cooking menu and it was a big success. Well now I am quarantined with possible COVID in the house and was just running out of fresh food. Before I order a grocery delivery service or get a post-plague friend to pick up the Derps Household sustenance, I figured why not let GBS put my quarantine shopping list and menu together? Lets start off with taking breakfast off the table, I have those staples, but I could use roughly 7 "easy" lunches (very willing to repeat these for simplicity of shopping) and 7 dinners. Help me having a plague week cook off!

Please to participate post your recipe/ingredient list of what is needed. Can be as simple as "Lol Derp just eat PB and JS" and I'd say lets keep the dinners fairly less complex given in 4 days I might be a plague ridden bed bound making GBS threads machine. Hoping to not go over about 150-200 on the groceries. Fairly loaded with most staples as well (sugar, salt, butter, eggs, oils, etc.) so feel free to assume I got those on hand.

Thanks for supporting the Derpies plague show and I will try and livestream some of these COVID cooking nights for ya'll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fastball LIVE in concert
Jul 10, 2010
3 words for you.

Surf. And. Turf.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Fastball LIVE in concert posted:

3 words for you.

Surf. And. Turf.

I am in Utah but we occasionally get good scallops, somehow.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I'm not much for recipes sorry.

Here's what I am making tonight

- Baked Salmon -

get like a pound or two of salmon skin on, about an inch thick.

preheat oven to 420 degrees (that's the weed number)

rub a little good olive oil on the fish

salt and peppy and i like dill on there fresh or dry it doesn't matter. just use less dried dill than you would use if you were using fresh.

bake for like 15 minutes, depending on thickness you might need to bake more. basically just bake it until the middle of the fish flakes with a fork.

take out of the oven and smear a pat of butter all over the fish. let rest for a few minutes and it's done.

fairly quick, and really tasty.

While the fish is cooking you can roast asparagus in the oven. It cooks at about the same rate as the fish depending on the thickness of the asparagus. Just wash, snap, toss in olive oil s+p maybe a bit of garlic. spread over a pan and put it in when the fish goes in.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Quick and easy lunch is always some form of quesadillas for me. Coming up with your own permutations on the theme is key.

Basic is: tomato slices and cheese in a tortilla toasted up/melted in a frying pan with some butter.
I had some smoked fish recently, so added that in. Avocado, chopped up leftover chicken or pork. Come up with about anything you have on hand and try it out.

Tasty hot lunch put together and eaten in a half hour.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Internetjack posted:

Quick and easy lunch is always some form of quesadillas for me. Coming up with your own permutations on the theme is key.

Basic is: tomato slices and cheese in a tortilla toasted up/melted in a frying pan with some butter.
I had some smoked fish recently, so added that in. Avocado, chopped up leftover chicken or pork. Come up with about anything you have on hand and try it out.

Tasty hot lunch put together and eaten in a half hour.

Waterbed Wendy posted:

- Baked Salmon -

salt and peppy and i like dill on there fresh or dry it doesn't matter. just use less dried dill than you would use if you were using fresh.

bake for like 15 minutes, depending on thickness you might need to bake more. basically just bake it until the middle of the fish flakes with a fork.

take out of the oven and smear a pat of butter all over the fish. let rest for a few minutes and it's done.

While the fish is cooking you can roast asparagus in the oven. It cooks at about the same rate as the fish depending on the thickness of the asparagus. Just wash, snap, toss in olive oil s+p maybe a bit of garlic. spread over a pan and put it in when the fish goes in.

Both these are good, the quesadilas for lunch are great cause ive got plenty of frozen beef I can turn into taco fixins and the greens growing in my garden. I don't like salmon myself but can cook a white fish for me and salmon for the actually symptom having family.

Stooge
Aug 27, 2018

Highly recommend Jack Monroe's recipes. She does a lot of food from tins and recipes that use up things in the cupboard.

Her recipes use English measurements but if you can't handle that then you deserve to starve, lmao.

Here's my personal fav, it's a goulash made from baked beans, kidney beans, tinned tomatoes, paprika, and onions. just ignore the marmite if you don't have it. It's p good:

Goulash

Makes leftovers, and is nice cold or reheated and put into tortilla/pita bread.

Good luck with quarantine op.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Stooge posted:

Highly recommend Jack Monroe's recipes. She does a lot of food from tins and recipes that use up things in the cupboard.

Her recipes use English measurements but if you can't handle that then you deserve to starve, lmao.

Here's my personal fav, it's a goulash made from baked beans, kidney beans, tinned tomatoes, paprika, and onions. just ignore the marmite if you don't have it. It's p good:

Goulash

Makes leftovers, and is nice cold or reheated and put into tortilla/pita bread.

Good luck with quarantine op.

Good news ms derps is a kiwi so we have all the weird products that end in -mite

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Make Shrimp Scampi OP its really good.

I call it Scrimp Scrumpy.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

crosspostin' this because everyone should be eating vietnamese bun in summer. it's a cold noodle salad with herbs, veg, some kind of super savory grilled meat or seafood, and a sweet/sour/hot/salty dressing

Crusty Nutsack posted:

seriously, Thai/Viet salads are the loving best. and sometimes they're made with meat instead of lettuce! but they all include lots of herbs, including thai basil, which is honestly like the best salad "hack" or whatever

I'd suggest starting with a bun, a Vietnamese rice noodle salad that can be topped with grilled meat, seafood, or eggrolls.

layer in a big bowl:
rice vermicelli (cook according to package, most you just soak in hot water for a few minutes)
equal amount of chopped lettuce
cucumber
carrots (buy the bag of pre-shredded)
protein of your choice (marinate it in fish sauce, garlic, and a bit of sugar)
a handful or two of chopped herbs: Thai basil, cilantro, mint, or any combination
crushed roasted peanuts
fried shallots (they come in a jar)

dressing is nuoc cham, the quintessential vietnamese dipping sauce: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/09/sauced-nuoc-cham-recipe.html
just put those ingredients in a jar, shake it up, lasts forever. it's really loving delicious I promise.

I could live off this salad in summer. I usually grill up a pork chop and slice that up or throw some shrimp on top.

if you want a visual it looks like this

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Derpies posted:

I am in Utah but we occasionally get good scallops, somehow.

Good scallops served well are fantastic. It has been a year or two, but a basic alfredo scallop noodle recipe I came up with involved:

Sauce pan, medium dice a tomato and a couple of mushrooms in oil. Add some salt and sautee.

Dump a jar of alfredo sauce in there, heat until the tomato oils start coming to the surface.

I cannot remember if I dumped the scallops directly in there, or if I sauteed them separately... the key to scallops though is to NOT OVERCOOK THEM. They go quick and better a bit undercooked than overcooked.

Add scallops either way to the sauce.

You have finished cooking some type of wide pastas noodle in the meantime. Plate the noodles and dump the scallops and mushroom/tomato/alfredo sauce on there.

Maybe toast up some garlic bread as a side.

After typing that, I am totally buying some scallops next week.

Edit: I totally forgot to mention the purpose of sautteeing the diced tomato. It adds some color to the whole thing. Otherwise it is the most bland and pale dish you could serve. The sauteed tomatoes add a nice pink coloring to the alfredo and a bit of flavor. Presentation is 20% of the dish.

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 15, 2020

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Crusty Nutsack posted:

crosspostin' this because everyone should be eating vietnamese bun in summer. it's a cold noodle salad with herbs, veg, some kind of super savory grilled meat or seafood, and a sweet/sour/hot/salty dressing

Dang. I just had lunch and now I'm hungry again.

Time to update the grocery shopping list.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Quick and easy alfredo sauce. This is a recipe from the Italian ristorante I used to work at.

heat a wide pan on medium heat

add heavy cream, enough to cover the amount of pasta you need.

stir a fuckton of parmesan cheese into it

salt and pepper

don't let it boil, just melt the cheese into the cream until it's thicc

that's it, it's done. throw some parsley in there maybe or saute garlic in the pan in olive oil before you add cream if you want.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
"It was a big success! Now I have COVID!" lol

Buy three weeks of canned soup and strap in, OP.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Xaintrailles posted:

"It was a big success! Now I have COVID!" lol

Buy three weeks of canned soup and strap in, OP.

I am gonna go down swinging making good food and not eating chicken tendies and campbells soup.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Do you like mushrooms? Make mushroom fries for lunch, or as a side for dinner.

Slightly salt sliced portabello mushrooms and pat/wipe it off with paper towel to absorb some moisture out of em.
Rice flour on sliced shrooms
Egg the shrooms (thin out the egg just a little with some water)
Panko and some parm(this helps keep everything together when the cheese melts)
Throw it in the oven. Those ones in the pic are sliced a bit thick so I put them in my toaster oven at 425 for about 20 minutes or so. Just keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn, they may take less time

Get whatever sauces you like and dip for a relatively healthy lunch. You can add ground pepper, old bay or whatever kind of seasoning you would put on fries

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 16, 2020

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Butternut squash is good if you cube and roast it.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Do you like mushrooms? Make mushroom fries for lunch, or as a side for dinner.

Slightly salt sliced portabello mushrooms and pat/wipe it off with paper towel to absorb some moisture out of em.
Rice flour on sliced shrooms
Egg the shrooms (thin out the egg just a little with some water)
Panko and some parm(this helps keep everything together when the cheese melts)
Throw it in the oven. Those ones in the pic are sliced a bit thick so I put them in my toaster oven at 425 for about 20 minutes or so. Just keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn, they may take less time

Get whatever sauces you like and dip for a relatively healthy lunch. You can add ground pepper, old bay or whatever kind of seasoning you would put on fries

Not a huge mushroom fan but I am willing to give it a try. I've got zucchinis on order and DO like zucchini fries so might sub out that.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Derpies posted:

Not a huge mushroom fan but I am willing to give it a try. I've got zucchinis on order and DO like zucchini fries so might sub out that.

Zucchini would probably work the same way, though I've never tried it. As long as you try to demoisturize them a little bit so everythng doesn't become a soggy mess then they should come out nice and crispy

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Cauliflower fried rice
  • 1 bag frozen riced cauliflower (you can rice fresh cauliflower yo self if you want but why)
  • 1 medium carrot julienned into matchsticks or diced real small
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • protein of choice, diced real small (pork or chicken works well)
  • egg(s), scrambled
  • soy sauce
  • salt n pep
  • cooking oil
  • extra veggies/garlic/whatever if you want just keep it chopped small

Heat up your wok or large sauté pan with some oil and cook the protein until it’s browned and cooked through. Remove from pan.
In the same pan throw a little more oil in and then the onions and cook those up a few minutes.
Toss in the cauli and carrot, and whatever else you got. Might need to add a bit more oil if the pan gets too dry.
Once the cauliflower and other veggies are cooked through, push everything to the edges of the pan, making a hole in the center. Pour the egg(s) in that hole and scrumple then up.
Once the eggs are cooked throw the protein back in to warm up and toss it all with a hefty glug or two of soy sauce. Salt n pep as needed.

BAGS FLY AT NOON fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 17, 2020

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Cauliflower fried rice
  • 1 bag frozen riced cauliflower (you can rice fresh cauliflower yo self if you want but why)
  • 1 medium carrot julienned into matchsticks or diced real small
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • protein of choice, diced real small (pork or chicken works well)
  • soy sauce
  • salt n pep
  • cooking oil
  • extra veggies/garlic/whatever if you want just keep it chopped small

Heat up your wok or large sauté pan with some oil and cook the protein until it’s browned and cooked through. Remove from pan.
In the same pan throw a little more oil in and then the onions and cook those up a few minutes.
Toss in the cauli and carrot, and whatever else you got. Might need to add a bit more oil if the pan gets too dry.
Once the cauliflower and other veggies are cooked through throw the protein back in to warm up and toss it all with a hefty glug or two of soy sauce. Salt n pep as needed.

Hell yeah got a head of cauliflower coming so can even make fresh cauli rice over frozen. Might still have a few frozen packs too.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Derpies posted:

Hell yeah got a head of cauliflower coming so can even make fresh cauli rice over frozen. Might still have a few frozen packs too.

Edited my post because I forgot the best part, the eggses!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Melt some butter on a pan, leave it at the lowest setting

Start piling finely ground weed on it

Cover and simmer for 30 minutes

:420:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Just scoop peanut butter out of the jar with your bare hands

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I'm cooking this right now and loving everything smells like fish sauce right now.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Derpies posted:

I'm cooking this right now and loving everything smells like fish sauce right now.

so what you're saying is it smells delicious :razz:

I went grocery shopping today and got everything for this too

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Waterbed Wendy posted:

- Baked Salmon -

Your food is always so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Crusty Nutsack posted:

so what you're saying is it smells delicious :razz:

I went grocery shopping today and got everything for this too

The brand of fish sauce I had left is so drat pungent I've had to open all the doors and windows, I think it's more of a Roman Garum than Thai fish sauce.