Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cardiovorax posted:

Never do a random start, they tend to gently caress you over badly. First, go into the options menu and find the selection that allows you do determine the number of starting points you get. Set it as high as you can. Then, start a regular game and read the various backgrounds it offers you. Take something with a strong selection of starting skills that isn't too expensive. Start in the regular catastrophe shelter. Check out the selection of possible traits to start with. The martial arts perk that can teach you Krav Maga is incredibly powerful, so pick that to start with. Put points into Survival, Cooking and the skill related to your martial art. This will give you a strong grounding for the early game and a number of memorized recipes that will come in handy for you sooner rather than later.

Getting bitten isn't the same as in most zombie movies, btw. It just means you have a deep wound that is guaranteed to be infected with the kind of crud you would find in a dead person's mouth. Antibiotics will solve that problem for you.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

BexGu posted:

That devs mentioned it was only put in cause the Engineer class was the least used class ( by a wide margin) and they wanted to throw Engineer users a fun little Easter egg.

Well drat, I thought it was going to lead to actual cool interactions between class and story and that sucks more.

I guess. I don't know if I can be angry since not ten minutes prior I went "well it's all moot now".

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Mass Effect helped me realize how much I value choice and reactivity entirely because of how poorly it executed on it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mass Effect made me realize how much I don’t care about I don’t value choice and reactivity as long as I can bang a handsome lizard dinosaur bird man.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Aw

I wanted to play death stranding, but seems like my graphics card does not support the version of dx12 it requires.

Oh well. Was planning to upgrade on november or december.

It does not work with a Radeon R9 280. Oh well.

FF14 will continue to be my main brain worms for the time being.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Luisfe posted:

Aw

I wanted to play death stranding, but seems like my graphics card does not support the version of dx12 it requires.

Oh well. Was planning to upgrade on november or december.

It does not work with a Radeon R9 280. Oh well.

FF14 will continue to be my main brain worms for the time being.

Daaaamn that’s an ancient card. When the time comes to upgrade there’s some great threads in SH/SC that can point you in the right direction.

Leal posted:

They moved onto VR. You gotta crossfire Titans to even turn on a vr headset!

I remember the last thread where someone said you needed a 2000 dollar computer to run VR, which is so far from accurate it’s honestly pretty funny. A laptop 1660 runs VR just fine! The desktop one is like a 200 dollar card and does even better!

E:also you can’t crossfire Titans, crossfire is for AMD cards. NVidia uses SLI. :colbert:

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Daaaamn that’s an ancient card. When the time comes to upgrade there’s some great threads in SH/SC that can point you in the right direction.

I remember the last thread where someone said you needed a 2000 dollar computer to run VR, which is so far from accurate it’s honestly pretty funny. A laptop 1660 runs VR just fine! The desktop one is like a 200 dollar card and does even better!

E:also you can’t crossfire Titans, crossfire is for AMD cards. NVidia uses SLI. :colbert:

Yeah! It's lasted me 5 years and I've been pretty happy with it.
Until today, I guess.

I am planning to upgrade this november or december. No rush, I think I will keep death stranding on my library until then lol

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
I like walking sims but after looking at it Death Stranding doesn't appeal to me (I honestly can't think of something I've liked that has used CGI versions of real actors either), but I always out of habit check if a game has native 21:9 support or if I'll have to mod it when looking into it.

Real neat, I admit it does look pretty and their Steam launch trailer makes it explicitly clear that it includes ultrawide suppo-

Ultrawide steam curator posted:

Death Stranding has full 21:9 support in gameplay & cutscenes However, this is *literal* 21:9 support - i.e. a 3440x1440 monitor will show 3360x1440 with small black bars on the sides.

:lol:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Det_no posted:

It's a somewhat manicured example, yeah. DLSS 2 looks pretty drat good but the whole "looks better than 4k" thing is a lot of wishful thinking and marketing. Upscaled textures will never be as good, for one, and those 4K shots would look a lot better if you enabled your GPU's sharpening filter to get rid of the AA blur, something DLSS also does as part of it's processing. The performance increase is undeniable though, it's impressive.

Thinking of DLSS as upscaling in the traditional sense really isn't quite right. The reason it works so much better than any other upscaling algorithm is that it's taking a fundamentally different approach. DLSS is collecting data cross multiple frames and using motion vectors to reprocess data from prior frames for use in the current frame. Because of this, rather than taking less data than required for the output resolution and filling in the gaps the way conventional upscaling does, it's actually using MORE samples than there are pixels, i.e. supersampling, which is why it can look better than native. Yes, you could get more quality by using more samples - but that's always true. The crazy reality is, as Nvidia's presentation demonstrated, DLSS 2.0 is actually capable of BETTER conformance to a 32x supersampled image. It's already closer to the ideal than "native" rendering is. The core of the algorithm is a really innovative extension/improvement of TAA that I'm convinced will be the standard approach to essentially all rendering within a few years. As 4k becomes a real thing, and with it the need for higher framerates (we've known for ~50 years that as resolution increases, you need to also increase framerate, or the perceptive experience actually becomes worse), techinques that get us away from exponentially scaling demands on GPUs are essential.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

exquisite tea posted:

ME3 MP was so amazing in its simplicity. I wish Andromeda had just been an MP-focused game with co-op story missions and expanded game modes instead of a bad ME1 imitation. The Division, but Mass Effect would have ruled and Bioware freakin' blew it!!
ME3 MP received like one year of updates and Andromeda MP was abandoned almost immediately but they're so fun that people still play. I really wish they would do a dedicated game in that style with ongoing updates.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
I think everyone hoped anthem would fill that gap until they screwed the pooch with... everything about that game. It was a sci fi guns and powers type game in the same vein.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Look Sir Droids posted:

Same here. I'm reluctant to do a full rebuild any time in the near future bc my i7 is just solid. I pop a new graphics card in it and I'm pretty sure I can squeeze 10 years out of the basic system. It'll be RAM needs that get me, bc I have a miniITX motherboard that only fits 16 GB. Otherwise, am I supposed to have an i7 that is just a Plex server? Nah.

Yeah I'm still running an i5-4590 with a 970 and 8 GB RAM that I built at the end of 2013 and only Shipbreakers has really tanked my system recently and that's still got EA performance issues.

The 970 has been the best graphics card I've ever bought. It can still run almost anything really well and it's lasted 7 years without a hitch. The only thing I've had to replace on this PC is a PSU. I would love to get a bigger SSD and should probably get more RAM at some point but I'm happy to keep my PC as is during plague times.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

pentyne posted:

I'm still in what feels like the tutorial but here's some perspectives on Guijan 3

- It's in all ways shape and appearance a Chinese MMO adapted to a single player RPG game

- The VA seems kind of flat and effortless for the main "noble/dignified" NPCs but then the whiny enemies/kids are really expressive and excited

- The combat is shaping up to be fun, in a very arcade/action wuxia way. The only downside is due to the whole MMO thing every enemy has to be wailed on for 30 sec at least to kill it so far. There's a UI indicator that highlights the direction of incoming attacks and is color coded for blockable vs unblockable. Parrying doesn't seem that hard to get the timing but dodging is easier. Dodging has a stamina meter so you can't just endlessly roll around or you run out and take a hit at a bad time.

- The "Party" that follows you around seems next to useless unless they can cast heal on you.

- The story is making little to no sense and there's a lot of act breaks that just jump to another thing without explanation. I can assume it's not explaining stuff that Guijan franchise fans would be aware of but I haven't dived into the lore section of the start menu to read up on detail

All in all I'm still playing it here and there. With the whole MMO mechanics it makes boss fights a fair bit more interesting with the aoe debuffs you can see, blockable vs unblockable attacks, positioning and skill use. I'm seeing from reviews there's a fairly in depth base building and crafting/cooking mechanics which might be extremely my jam.

Wouldn't recommend yet unless you both like the MMO gameplay dynamic and the mid-budget Wuxia style presentation.

Good review, thanks a lot. I'll probably skip it then.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

ME3 MP received like one year of updates and Andromeda MP was abandoned almost immediately but they're so fun that people still play. I really wish they would do a dedicated game in that style with ongoing updates.

they updated andromeda MP for around a year and the core of it eventually ended up better than ME3, it was just way too late and most of the players had left by then because it took them way too long to get the balance to an even remotely acceptable state. unlike ME3 there weren't weekly server-side balance changes since according to them that was more functionality they lost thanks to frostbite :thumbsup:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the best thing about andromeda MP was how it was affected by the host's singleplayer save difficulty

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

END ME SCOOB posted:

Well drat, I thought it was going to lead to actual cool interactions between class and story and that sucks more.

I guess. I don't know if I can be angry since not ten minutes prior I went "well it's all moot now".

Oh there are still some there but they are pretty well hidden.

One I remember is if you romance Garrus you two go on a date and then have a flirtly sniper contest. If you are a solider / infentrator you have the option of making the last shot or letting Garrus win. Every other class miss the shot.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I remember buying the hype that Dragon Age: Inquisition's MP would be the new ME3 MP. It was not. :smith:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cross-posting my request in here from the roguelikes thread as they're too busy arguing over whether 400 hour negative reviews are good or bad to answer me:

In addition to everything else said, never EVER allow yourself to become winded if you can help it. Being out of breath slows down all of your actions so much that it makes combat pretty much suicide and running away completely impossible.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I finally got a job that pays super well so I'm considering upgrading my stuff, I still have an sandy bridge and it would be really neat to go from a 4 core 32nm to a 8 core 10nm.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

I finally got a job that pays super well so I'm considering upgrading my stuff, I still have an sandy bridge and it would be really neat to go from a 4 core 32nm to a 8 core 10nm.

Do 7nm instead and save more for your GPU upgrade/monitor/excessive RGB and tempered glass!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cross-posting my request in here from the roguelikes thread as they're too busy arguing over whether 400 hour negative reviews are good or bad to answer me:

There's a thread for that game specifically that can help you out!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553436

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Wanted a more casual action RPG so I'm replaying Reccetear. Still amazingly fun. What a game. I ended up living in the cardboard box.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

BexGu posted:

Oh there are still some there but they are pretty well hidden.

One I remember is if you romance Garrus you two go on a date and then have a flirtly sniper contest. If you are a solider / infentrator you have the option of making the last shot or letting Garrus win. Every other class miss the shot.

This happened for my Vanguard that didn't romance Garrus. Pretty sure it happens for everyone.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Lightningproof posted:

This happened for my Vanguard that didn't romance Garrus. Pretty sure it happens for everyone.

Awwww. I only ever really played Solider/Infiltrator and I must have miss remember from the ME3 thread a while back when other people talked about the Garrus scene.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

MonkeyforaHead posted:

In addition to everything else said, never EVER allow yourself to become winded if you can help it. Being out of breath slows down all of your actions so much that it makes combat pretty much suicide and running away completely impossible.

That sounds like good advice for IRL too!

Boba Pearl posted:

There's a thread for that game specifically that can help you out!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553436

I should have looked first, doh. Thank you! Gonna go peruse it now.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Garrus is a good mate

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

FastestGunAlive posted:

Garrus is a good mate

But enough about the sex scenes.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Oh, I wanted to share. If you have GamePass, uninstall games by going to Settings->Apps & Features to uninstall games rather than using the Gamepass app. It works properly that way.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

An Othercide trailer/gameplay video and !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oil-Kna3deI

I want this game

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Irritated Goat posted:

Oh, I wanted to share. If you have GamePass, uninstall games by going to Settings->Apps & Features to uninstall games rather than using the Gamepass app. It works properly that way.

Huh

All games that I uninstalled through the Xbox App aren't showing up in Apps & Features or Programs and Features in Control Panel, so I guess it actually uninstalled them?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

StrixNebulosa posted:

An Othercide trailer/gameplay video and !!!!

I want this game

Uh, wow. I don't play very many sRPGs or turn based games, and i'm often discouraged by rogue-lite punishing death games but...

The art, the time gimmick, the advertised customization and the trailer's production value are very convincing. poo poo.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If my own experience with Betrayal is any indication, the whole white/black/red graphics gimmick is a lot more annoying to play with than it might appear to be in a trailer like that. It was a very different game, though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/690040/SUPERHOT_MIND_CONTROL_DELETE/

SUPERHOT 2 IS OUT

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I... own this somehow? I'm going to assume it's either a promotional thing or an error.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Saoshyant posted:

I... own this somehow? I'm going to assume it's either a promotional thing or an error.

If you purchased the original at any point prior to 2 coming out, you get 2 for free.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's not really a "2" is it? More of a roguelike spinoff.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Mordja posted:

It's not really a "2" is it? More of a roguelike spinoff.

Correct. It's literally MORE superhot but the game will tell you, in its prologue, that there's no closure or story or anything. It's just...more killing.

Edit: this is a good thing and very innovative

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Morter posted:

Uh, wow. I don't play very many sRPGs or turn based games, and i'm often discouraged by rogue-lite punishing death games but...

The art, the time gimmick, the advertised customization and the trailer's production value are very convincing. poo poo.
It looks really interesting but the gameplay have to really goddamn good in order to justify that 35 Euro pricetag..

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm stuck at the end of superhot 1 still, but I welcome more Superhot, I wanna try it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ignore