Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Cody vs Sonny 12 14.46%
FTR vs Lucha Bros 28 33.73%
Elite vs Dinosaurs 33 39.76%
Cage vs Mox 10 12.05%
Total: 83 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
AEW's premium on clean finishes can kinda cut both ways. On the one hand it's great, because we had literal decades of stupid overbooked fuckery at the highest level of American pro wrestling, but on the other it kinda shuts the door and cools down whatever heat could still be built upon when two guys are having an interesting program. Mox / Brodie was a loving phenomenal match, and Mox having to give everything and resorting to a desperate rear naked to finally put the monster down was amazing, but it feels one and done, like I don't expect to see Mox v Brodie for the title ever again, even though it'd probably be a loving banger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Imagine being mad at that amazing Jericho promo

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I Before E posted:

idk i think he was really mad but trying to play it off like he was just wrestling mad. i got that second-hand embarrassment. Wrong Kind Of Heat

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

oh but seriously I posted:

idk i think he was really mad but trying to play it off like he was just wrestling mad. i got that second-hand embarrassment. Wrong Kind Of Heat

He got orange juice on his seven thousand dollar jacket, of course he's mad

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Vickie rules and will get nuclear heat if we ever get back to live crowds

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I Before E posted:

Or at Excalibur going “you know what ‘the demo’ loves? Replays”

I loved all the content and story direction and the wrestling but holy poo poo this Dynamite is fodder for Botchamania from all parties.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I Before E posted:

He got orange juice on his seven thousand dollar jacket, of course he's mad

that bit was good!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

harperdc posted:

Or at Excalibur going “you know what ‘the demo’ loves? Replays”

I loved all the content and story direction and the wrestling but holy poo poo this Dynamite is fodder for Botchamania from all parties.

they were wrestling outdoors in 95 degree heat

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/shidahikaru/status/1283586873672249351

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Shida is so wholesome :cry:

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

her belt is small but her spirit is large

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/abadon_AEW/status/1283593339540058114?s=19

hype

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

That was not my favourite episode of Dynamite, to put it charitably. The tag matches...look that was some of the spot monkey-est poo poo I've ever seen and I just don't get down with that style. It's ok when you have a pretence for the move you're doing, but when Nick Jackson just hops up onto the middle rope for absolutely no reason and just stands there waiting for Marko to hit a destroyer, that poo poo loving sucks hard. It's pretty emblematic of everything I hate about the Bucks even if I can appreciate the athletes that they obviously are. FTR/Lucha Bros was pretty good but botchy and not really what I was expecting.

Vicky coming out to a dubstep version of her saying "excuse me" was hilarious, but seeing that isn't worth saddling Nyla with her. It's not a necessary partnership and I'm not sold on Vicky as a performer. I remember what a heat machine she was in WWE but that's not the kind of thing I want in AEW.

Cody and Sonny was a lot of fun too. There was a bit of whiffing but I think this might have been my favourite match? I dunno I was pretty amped going into this episode so that might have helped. Cody working heel was super effective for me. I was really hoping he would get the poo poo kicked out of him.

The Jericho/OC segment. Dude this was loving good. I know how defensive and petty it looks for these wrestlers and Tony to get down in the muck of ratings on Twitter, but this played perfectly to Jericho's character. Of course he would do this. It was completely self-aware and when it turned out the whole thing was just building to the Demo God punchline? That was :discourse: The OJ being dumped on him strayed pretty close to WWE style "comedy" but it was so stupidly over-the-top with Ortiz' overacting and the OC towel that they pulled it back.

The main event was good. It was probably one of the weaker men's title defenses (with much of that having to do with factors beyond the control of the 2 guys in the ring) but I thought the ending in particular was really clever and not really where I expected it to go. Taz coming out and waving his towel at the camera during all of his promos turned out to be a Chekhov's Gun of sorts and it keeps Cage stronger than a pin or submission would have. Also gave Mox some good character moments when he was taunting Taz. I wasn't as hyped to see Darby as I would normally be, for obvious reasons. Without all that baggage this would have been a really excellent moment.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I really liked the main event. It felt a lot different than the typical AEW style and I felt Cage came out a bigger star despite the loss.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Alaois posted:

they were wrestling outdoors in 95 degree heat

Production goofs, talking too much, commentary goofs, and other stuff more so than actual in-ring botches

Almost playing Vickie’s intro for Nyla Rose

I loved it but there were some rough moments

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Its going to be really funny when Darby turns in one of his pretapes of making one of his cereal-pool friends wear a Tazz mask or whatever but then suddenly the virtuous Cage appears and tears apart Darby's small goffik body

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

:3:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My one issue with the Vickie/Nyla thing is that Nyla doesn't really need a manager at all? She's just fine on her own. You do managers for people who are bad at talking.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

My one issue with the Vickie/Nyla thing is that Nyla doesn't really need a manager at all? She's just fine on her own. You do managers for people who are bad at talking.

Nyla loves Vicki backstage, so it's probably her idea

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Crapple! posted:

That was not my favourite episode of Dynamite, to put it charitably. The tag matches...look that was some of the spot monkey-est poo poo I've ever seen and I just don't get down with that style. It's ok when you have a pretence for the move you're doing, but when Nick Jackson just hops up onto the middle rope for absolutely no reason and just stands there waiting for Marko to hit a destroyer, that poo poo loving sucks hard. It's pretty emblematic of everything I hate about the Bucks even if I can appreciate the athletes that they obviously are. FTR/Lucha Bros was pretty good but botchy and not really what I was expecting.

Luchasaurus was choking him and he was fighting back and trying to pound on a very tall man.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I was over Vicki's spiel 15 years ago. Just the worst heat imaginable this side of the Cole Mine.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Chris James 2 posted:

Ivelisse "depression isn't real" Velez

Also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYPvjV6AZpE

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Also Dynamite is over, Ghosts of Tsushima doesn't come out until Friday and I'm bored again.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, I'm REALLY curious about how Ivie's going to do in AEW, given her history of pissing off everyone she's ever come in contact with. I'd love for her to play nice, she's talented and was great in Lucha Underground, but history and her reputation are not on her side.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

it could be fun if they stereo ranted at people. i am not proud of how much i enjoy vickie but she has never committed a sex crime which puts her in like the 90th percentile of ethical wrestling personalities

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Honestly I'm at a point where I feel like you could throw a dart at a board with every wrestler on the roster and land on poo poo Person like 8 times out of 10

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

Honestly I'm at a point where I feel like you could throw a dart at a board with every wrestler on the roster and land on poo poo Person like 8 times out of 10

We've hit Syndrome levels. Everyone is bad, therefore no one is.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

https://twitter.com/thunderrosa22/status/1283572124142186497

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Oh gently caress

If they can get her away from NWA that's the new #1 priority

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SAY YEAH

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Jericho using ratings to be an annoying arrogant heel was very funny.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

it’s all going to build to Britt demanding to speak to Nyla’s manager and then pausing to *gulp*

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tweak posted:

it’s all going to build to Britt demanding to speak to Nyla’s manager and going *gulp*

It really would have been better to add Vickie to Britt's act and put Nyla with Taz.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Catching up on DVR, and voted dinosaurs/Elite before even seeing Mox/Cage.

That was just loving fun. The entire show is just fun.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

MassRafTer posted:

It really would have been better to add Vickie to Britt's act and put Nyla with Taz.

Would love for more managers to have multiple clients who otherwise have no interaction.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Red posted:

Catching up on DVR, and voted dinosaurs/Elite before even seeing Mox/Cage.

That was just loving fun. The entire show is just fun.

yeah, i was entertained the whole time even if the show was more heavy on good storytelling than good wrestling :shrug:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

FTW champion not acknowleged:

Gets called out by ring announcer
Gets orange Chyron

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Didnt watch the show, was doing things. Aew recapper continues to be bad at recapping the main event. It took a few years but the Canadian Destroyer is the best move in professional wrestling. Thank u Bucks.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
pay MDogg20 royalties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Them not doing anything about Darby, Hager, and Roberts dampens a lot of the show.