Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Geemer posted:

If it was modular, did you replace the cables to the drives, or did you just plug the old ones into the new PSU? The latter is potentially very bad.

hell yeah I smoked 4 drives in one shot on my home server doing this :slick:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
/\/\ /\/\

I came within a gnat’s rear end of doing the same thing, when the part of my brain that still actually functions said ‘you’d better check these’.

I pulled out the ol’ DVOM and was like ‘holy poo poo, that was close’ - four 2TB WB Black drives would have bit the dust. They really should be standardized.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

EssOEss posted:

Are there motherboard manufactuers who have software that isn't pants on head stupid? I have an Asus motherboard and the drat thing is janky as hell, with fan calibration always failing and the whole app refusing to start after latest windows update. If I upgrade my system, what motherboard vendor can I rely on to provide functioning system management software?

No, all of it is terrible. Set the fan curves in the BIOS, that way, they'll always apply and you're not dependent on some terrible piece of software running.

There's no need to install system fan management software.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

netBuff posted:

No, all of it is terrible. Set the fan curves in the BIOS, that way, they'll always apply and you're not dependent on some terrible piece of software running.

There's no need to install system fan management software.

There's definitely some edge cases that may not be so edge. I use Argus on my custom loop because my curve is based on GPU temp over 10 seconds

Underdog
Dec 9, 2000
There's no need to fear, Underdog has beer!
KVM question here. I did go through the last bit of this thread, but I'm still not clear if what I'm trying to do is possible.

I have 2 laptops I’d like to be able hook into a KVM to use 3 monitors (a yet to be purchased 4k monitor, and 2 old Dell 2412Mbs running at 1920x1200@60hz). If we assume the laptops themselves will support the monitors, is there anything out there can support 2 computers using 3 monitors?

This Monoprice 2-port KVM looks kind of promising, but it's only 2 monitors. Would daisy chaining the 2 1920x1200 monitors from the KVM be something that can be done, or am I just getting silly now?

I'm also open to non-KVM ideas.

Thanks!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Power went out and one of my external HDDs got corrupted, probably the mbr...

I ran a CHKDSK /r and it told me there were bad sectors but it didn’t have enough free space to move the data to a clean sector, then it just stopped mounting

Now it doesn’t even show up in windows, in Mini Tool Partition app it shows up as “Bad Disk”

Tried the Mini Tool free version Partition recovery but scanning seems like it will take weeks and the wording isn’t clear, but seems like they’ll charge me if I want to fix the disk :11tea:

Any free alternatives? Looking at Gparted but it doesn’t look like it recovers data or fixes mbr

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Power went out and one of my external HDDs got corrupted, probably the mbr...

I ran a CHKDSK /r and it told me there were bad sectors but it didn’t have enough free space to move the data to a clean sector, then it just stopped mounting

Now it doesn’t even show up in windows, in Mini Tool Partition app it shows up as “Bad Disk”

Tried the Mini Tool free version Partition recovery but scanning seems like it will take weeks and the wording isn’t clear, but seems like they’ll charge me if I want to fix the disk :11tea:

Any free alternatives? Looking at Gparted but it doesn’t look like it recovers data or fixes mbr

The last time I had to deal with this stuff, Get Data Back was an outstanding tool. The fee is reasonable because its one of those 'it just works if its able to' tools; it will scan your disk, evaluate how much it can pull off and you get a picture of what's recoverable before you play.

Mind you, this is from years ago, I'm not sure if there's better solutions out there, but it should still be good unless they've massively crapped their application up.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Skarsnik posted:

It might do that if it can't detect any hard drives or other bootable things.
...Are you telling me I have to remember to give my drive power? (Thanks)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

TheParadigm posted:

The last time I had to deal with this stuff, Get Data Back was an outstanding tool. The fee is reasonable because its one of those 'it just works if its able to' tools; it will scan your disk, evaluate how much it can pull off and you get a picture of what's recoverable before you play.

Mind you, this is from years ago, I'm not sure if there's better solutions out there, but it should still be good unless they've massively crapped their application up.

Thanks, I'm taking a look, I was also recommended https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download and currently trying it

First time a Toshiba drive failed me :(

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

EssOEss posted:

Are there motherboard manufactuers who have software that isn't pants on head stupid? I have an Asus motherboard and the drat thing is janky as hell, with fan calibration always failing and the whole app refusing to start after latest windows update. If I upgrade my system, what motherboard vendor can I rely on to provide functioning system management software?

ASUS is the best IMO. Gigabyte is the worst. I upgraded to a 9900k system and went from an ASUS mobo to Gigabyte and man it's so much worse it's not even funny. Gigabyte had the better power delivery and I wanted to do some big overclocks and I guess that all worked well enough but I wish I had stayed ASUS just for the BIOS and honestly the built-in sound card stuff is implemented tons better (in the realtek panel). Oh well.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Realtek sound drivers are something I avoid like the plague, but I guess I only have regular Stereo needs. So the generic Windows driver suffices.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

dirby posted:

...Are you telling me I have to remember to give my drive power? (Thanks)

:yeah:

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I just had a hard drive fail on me. No response from the drive at all when it has power, won't even spin up. How feasable would it be to get the data off of this drive? Can I just buy an identical model and swap some bits around?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Maxwell Adams posted:

I just had a hard drive fail on me. No response from the drive at all when it has power, won't even spin up. How feasable would it be to get the data off of this drive? Can I just buy an identical model and swap some bits around?

If the data is extremely important I'd contact data recovery company and ask about pricing.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Maxwell Adams posted:

Could be a PCB issue (check for burn marks). Unfortunately, even if it is a PCB issue, just swapping the PCB won't work because there's chips that are unique to each drive. You would have to buy a PCB of the exact same model and move chips from the old board to the new one, which involves soldering.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Anyone else have a touchpad they can't turn off since the last windows update?

On a MSI GE63 Raider and the touchpad turned back on after the latest update . The function key they shuts it off now does nothing Disabling it in device manager doesn't work and neither does removing the driver.

In short this really sucks for gaming

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Check your laptop's driver section for a new keyboard/function key/media key driver.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Raged posted:

Anyone else have a touchpad they can't turn off since the last windows update?

On a MSI GE63 Raider and the touchpad turned back on after the latest update . The function key they shuts it off now does nothing Disabling it in device manager doesn't work and neither does removing the driver.

In short this really sucks for gaming

You probably lost a touchpad driver. Happened to my Synaptics drivers with the 2004 update. As a result for example touchpad scrolling didn't work. I downloaded the driver from the laptop manufacturer website and all is back to normal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I noticed a faint chirpy noise when changing tabs, and sometimes scrolling in chrome. At first I thought it was the laptop itself, but the noise stopped as soon as I unplugged it and ran it off battery. The source was the power adapter. Is this just one of those things like coil whine you have to accept, or can something be done to mitigate it?

The laptop just came back from servicing, but it's possible I just never noticed the chirping before (it isn't very loud if the adapter's not right next to me).

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

I noticed a faint chirpy noise when changing tabs, and sometimes scrolling in chrome. At first I thought it was the laptop itself, but the noise stopped as soon as I unplugged it and ran it off battery. The source was the power adapter. Is this just one of those things like coil whine you have to accept, or can something be done to mitigate it?

The laptop just came back from servicing, but it's possible I just never noticed the chirping before (it isn't very loud if the adapter's not right next to me).

Not much you can do, expect for trying to put a drop of hot glue on the offending coil or replacing it and hoping you're getting one that exhibits less coil whine.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 18, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dumb RAM question.

Right now I have 16GB of ram and saw a decent deal on another 16gb but I'm not 100% sure it would play nicely with my current stuff.

This is the ram I have now,

And this is the stuff I wanna add,

Would there be any issues getting this?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

MarcusSA posted:

This is the ram I have now,

Are each of those sticks all a different brand/model?

E: nm I'm an idiot and haven't used cpuz for a while.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 19, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Are each of those sticks all a different brand/model?

The two I have now are the same brand but the new ones I'd be adding are different.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

MarcusSA posted:

The two I have now are the same brand but the new ones I'd be adding are different.

Yeah ok I can cut/paste and edit a little from the last time I answered this:

quote:

Theoretically? Should be fine. In practice, motherboards have an annoying tendency to not like having all four slots populated. You can always return it, or alternatively just run the new stuff, sell the old stuff, and have faster ram.
If they don't want to get along, one thing to try is not using X.M.P, and instead just set it at 2400 (or higher if the older stuff can handle it).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Yeah ok I can cut/paste and edit a little from the last time I answered this:

Ok thanks!

Hopefully it works lol.

It’s not that expensive so if I need to return it then it’s not a huge deal.

Thanks!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The issue is that with dual-rank RAM, one stick acts like two to the RAM controller - which is why four sticks of dual-rank RAM rarely ever run at full speed (how fast is possible depends on the CPU).

In your case, your existing sticks are single-rank as well as the one's you're planning on buying. In addition, you're not running them at very high speeds. You should be fine.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So I hear a CRYPTO_LIBRARY_INTERNAL_ERROR bugcheck in Windows isn't optimal, right? Any other way to diagnose what happened other than assuming my CPU is failing?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Hey, goons

I got a new GPU and now I wonder what steps I should take before I instal it. I've been with Nvidia so far but the new GPU is from AMD. So now I wonder if I should remove some Nvidia related software or drivers to make the switch easier for my system?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

genericnick posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor (€349.00 @ Alternate)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard (€244.90 @ ARLT)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€168.40 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€235.80 @ Alza)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS OC Video Card (€513.90 @ Alza)
Case: Fractal Design Design Define R6 USB-C Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case (€141.89 @ Alternate)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 760 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€126.89 @ Alternate)
Total: €1780.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-28 16:23 CET+0100

Quoting myself from when I got my new PC. Since then the 2070 died on me after only a few months. Basically there was one crash to desktop in a game, then the screen turned and stayed black for a few seconds at a time.That started to happen with increasing frequency until windows gave up and refuses to run with the video_tdr_failure screen. I know it's the graphics card since my system runs without problem with an older card I had lying around and the 2070 wouldn't run in another PC I tried. Anyway, I returned it to the merchant, they did something for a month, I got it back, supposedly repaired and after two days of working perfectly again it started with the same bullshit and now I'm back to windows (and linux) refusing to boot. Now, what I wonder is what could they have done? I have zero information except that they claim to have "repaired" it, it took a month from central Europe and it worked again for two days. Any ideas?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

Hey, goons

I got a new GPU and now I wonder what steps I should take before I instal it. I've been with Nvidia so far but the new GPU is from AMD. So now I wonder if I should remove some Nvidia related software or drivers to make the switch easier for my system?

Nobody has answered this so yeah, use DDU and remove any Nvidia stuff you might have hanging around, it can only hurt

Theoretically it shouldn’t be a problem but it takes like 3 minutes so why risk it, AMD already has problems picking the right driver for their own stuff...

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Thanks! I went ahead and manually removed all nvidia stuff through the applications manager but I'll look into DDU to see if I missed anything

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I have a older spare gaming desktop that's going to the living room for the wife and nephew to play games on. It's running Windows 8 and does not have Bluetooth support. I want to get a pair of wireless controllers set up and running, and I'm wondering the best way to do that. I prefer Sony controllers just cause I used to have a PS1 and a PS2, but Xbox controllers are fine if they'll Just Work(tm). I remember I was able to get a single PS3 controller working over a mini-USB cable but it was a seriously janky headache and involved third-party kludge program(s) to trick Windows into thinking it was an Xbox 360 controller, so if there's a quick and easy way to get wireless Xbox controllers working with an adapter then that would be preferable. From briefly looking online, it looks like Microsoft makes wireless adapters for Xbox One controllers, but they apparently only work on Windows 10, and this PC has 8.1. Is there a way to get a pair of either 360 and/or Xbox One controllers working wirelessly with 8.1?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Azuren posted:

I have a older spare gaming desktop that's going to the living room for the wife and nephew to play games on. It's running Windows 8 and does not have Bluetooth support. I want to get a pair of wireless controllers set up and running, and I'm wondering the best way to do that. I prefer Sony controllers just cause I used to have a PS1 and a PS2, but Xbox controllers are fine if they'll Just Work(tm). I remember I was able to get a single PS3 controller working over a mini-USB cable but it was a seriously janky headache and involved third-party kludge program(s) to trick Windows into thinking it was an Xbox 360 controller, so if there's a quick and easy way to get wireless Xbox controllers working with an adapter then that would be preferable. From briefly looking online, it looks like Microsoft makes wireless adapters for Xbox One controllers, but they apparently only work on Windows 10, and this PC has 8.1. Is there a way to get a pair of either 360 and/or Xbox One controllers working wirelessly with 8.1?

I just went through all this but with win10. The Xbox 1 controllers that you can buy these days are all BT compatible (even the 'wired' ones) and I think they work with any BT device? You'd just need a BT Pci-e card I'd think.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I just went through all this but with win10. The Xbox 1 controllers that you can buy these days are all BT compatible (even the 'wired' ones) and I think they work with any BT device? You'd just need a BT Pci-e card I'd think.

a cheap BT usb dongle would work too.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

The best dongle for xb1 controllers is the official MS one.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

a cheap BT usb dongle would work too.

YMMV here. The BT that came with my Intel wireless card was way too laggy.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Statutory Ape posted:

yep, i had problems with several bluetooth dongles but the ms one works perfectly

the ms dongle uses the same proprietary radio as the xbox itself instead of bluetooth

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Azuren posted:

Forget Bluetooth, it's too janky, and the last thing you want to do is diagnose issues when you want to play. Xbox 360 controllers have their own dongle (they never supported bluetooth anyway), that works flawlessly, and Xbox One controllers also have their own dongle, which isn't bluetooth, and works flawlessly.
If you absolutely need to use Windows 8.1, buy an OFFICIAL (not third party) Xbox 360 wireless receiver for Windows, and pick up some Xbox 360 controllers. I switch between them all the time, and I don't feel like the Xbox One controller is truly "better", so in my opinion you don't lose anything by going 360 in terms of controller feel.

All that said, why 8.1? A Windows 10 upgrade costs nothing, and then you have all options open to you. Here's the Xbox One dongle.. One thing I do like about the One controllers is the chatpad accessory, I use it all the time on my htpc, the 360 chatpad never had windows support

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 24, 2020

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Geemer posted:

If it was modular, did you replace the cables to the drives, or did you just plug the old ones into the new PSU? The latter is potentially very bad.

Hey so guess who replaced their power supply a couple years ago and didn't know about this. Is there a way to tell which cables are which? I have my PC open right now so and I don't actually remember if I reused any, or mixed and matched, etc. and would like to go ahead and fix it now if there's a simple way to tell or check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Statutory Ape posted:

It's out of production, and anything you get from eBay or amazon sellers is a bad knockoff.