Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I really want to go back to using clamshell mode for my new MacBook but the touchid sensor has spoiled me. (I don't care about the touch bar.) Are there any external equivalents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Unlock with Apple Watch, I suppose.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

kefkafloyd posted:

Unlock with Apple Watch, I suppose.

facepalm.gif

Thanks!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I have a user on a MacBook Pro (Catalina) that is having network connectivity issues.

About 15-20 times a day the network connectivity cuts out for about 30 seconds and then reconnects.

Nobody else at the office has issues, internet is all fine there.

Her machine doesn't do it while at home, just on our work network.

It does it whether connected via WiFi or Ethernet (via Thunderbolt dock and the WiFi is confirmed turned off when connected via hardwire) at about the same rate.

Unfortunately I am WFH but going up to the office tonight so I'm sparse on other details. But just thought I'd try to pre-arm myself with things to try.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BonoMan posted:

I have a user on a MacBook Pro (Catalina) that is having network connectivity issues.

About 15-20 times a day the network connectivity cuts out for about 30 seconds and then reconnects.

Nobody else at the office has issues, internet is all fine there.

Her machine doesn't do it while at home, just on our work network.

It does it whether connected via WiFi or Ethernet (via Thunderbolt dock and the WiFi is confirmed turned off when connected via hardwire) at about the same rate.

Unfortunately I am WFH but going up to the office tonight so I'm sparse on other details. But just thought I'd try to pre-arm myself with things to try.

DNS-related-- an IP conflict on the network is the first thing that springs to mind

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Last Chance posted:

DNS-related-- an IP conflict on the network is the first thing that springs to mind

Ditto. Last night I did clear all IP conflicts in our edgeswitch and gave her machine a static IP (and excluded the address from the DHCP pool)... but still nada.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I had a very similar problem at the office with my 2016 13" MBP so I thought it was a network issue too, but it's happened a few times at home now.

In my case it gives me the "searching" WiFi symbol in my menubar so I doubt it's the same, unfortunately :(

My 2016 is just trash.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

We’re having similar issues at work at the moment as well with Catalina Macs (and quite a lot of Android/iOS devices) on a Cisco enterprise network (although ours are basically only Wi-Fi issues). From what I’ve been able to see it looks like the connection drops out pretty much exactly as it’s been connected for 30 minutes.

I think what’s happening is that Catalina is a bit more aggressive about confirming that it’s still got an active connection to the network than previous versions of macOS and it’s testing connectivity every half an hour. Problem is, we’ve got aggressive load balancing turned on for the wireless and I’m pretty sure the ‘hey I’m oversubscribed, try another WAP’ that the Macs get back are interpreted as ‘no, you can’t connect, go away’ and they just drop the connection.

I’m still trying to work out if we can fix it without turning off load balancing on the WAPs.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Experiences with getting a Mac Mini on the refurb store? More along the lines of how long waiting for stock to come in. It’s been dead for the last week or so, maybe I need to put an order in for a hundred of the drat things just to return them within the window...

Guaranteed when they finally get something it’ll be a 128gb i3.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Experiences with getting a Mac Mini on the refurb store? More along the lines of how long waiting for stock to come in. It’s been dead for the last week or so, maybe I need to put an order in for a hundred of the drat things just to return them within the window...

Guaranteed when they finally get something it’ll be a 128gb i3.

You can go here and check when they last were in stock
https://refurb-tracker.com/stats/

Depending on the model, looks like a bunch dropped on the 1st and the 7th.

You can also set up an alert from there or refurb.me and get an email when they come back in stock.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yup I found that site and set up the alert last week. Guess which day I started looking? The 7th. The one they had that morning would’ve been perfect too, but it had gone already. Appreciate the feedback on the site for sure,
I found it through googling so didn’t know if it was any good so was still manually refreshing while getting no emails ha.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just a word of warning the minis go quick so if you get an alert for the exact one you want I would move fast on that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that’s the plan, had a feeling that would be the case. Even if it’s not perfect spec as long as I can work with it I’ll grab.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

MarcusSA posted:

I'd be willing to be 90% of Macs sold wouldn't be sold with a sim slot either lol.

My point is that most people have their phones(which is a hotspot) so the number of people that would actually use a Mac with a sim is probably comically low at this point.

I don't think this is true; I think the vast majority of people absolutely hate having to setup a hotspot, and so if they could simply take their ArmBook anywhere, open it up, and have internet via 4G LTE, of course they'd take that option.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

SourKraut posted:

I don't think this is true; I think the vast majority of people absolutely hate having to setup a hotspot, and so if they could simply take their ArmBook anywhere, open it up, and have internet via 4G LTE, of course they'd take that option.
this, and also i don't think most people know how to set up a hotspot.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SourKraut posted:

If you have an iPhone it’s always on though? It’s no harder vs clicking a WiFi network.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Aren't hot spots dependent on your cell provider? I haven't had an iPhone in a while but I remember not having the option on my AT&T plan back in the day.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SourKraut posted:

Since i have an iphone, my ipad is constantly jumping on the automatic hotspot, i don't see any complexity at all beside "have both devices in relative proximity".

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

MarcusSA posted:

If you have an iPhone it’s always on though? It’s no harder vs clicking a WiFi network.

I don't keep mine on all the time, and I'm sure that's the case for a lot of people. And why have to enable/click anything when it could be active as soon as you open the lid?

SlowBloke posted:

Since i have an iphone, my ipad is constantly jumping on the automatic hotspot, i don't see any complexity at all beside "have both devices in relative proximity".
But what if you didn't even have to have them in close proximity? One less device, you see...

American McGay posted:

Aren't hot spots dependent on your cell provider? I haven't had an iPhone in a while but I remember not having the option on my AT&T plan back in the day.
Yes, and also will allow different transfer rates depending on the type of device, such as my Verizon account where my hotspot upload/download rate is faster for my iPad Pro LTE than it is for my iPhone 11 Pro, per Verizon's restrictions.

Edit: I just don't see the harm in Apple offering a 4G or 5G modem in a trim level or as a BTO option, making it no different from the iPad line. In fact, the idea of this is one of the most attractive points of moving the Macs to ARM for me.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The “n” key on my 2018 MBP is double typing occasionally so I guess that means the keyboard is hosed. Has anyone done a free keyboard repair recently? Some googling tells me that they’ll do it for free but I’m guessing I need to send it in. How long is the turnaround time nowadays? I remember hearing horror stories about people being out of their laptop for months.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah that’s the plan, had a feeling that would be the case. Even if it’s not perfect spec as long as I can work with it I’ll grab.
If you're not tied to buying from Apple there's occasional sales on B&H and Adorama and such, looks like there's a few on sale right now actually. Not huge savings but it's something.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Boris Galerkin posted:

The “n” key on my 2018 MBP is double typing occasionally so I guess that means the keyboard is hosed. Has anyone done a free keyboard repair recently? Some googling tells me that they’ll do it for free but I’m guessing I need to send it in. How long is the turnaround time nowadays? I remember hearing horror stories about people being out of their laptop for months.

I just (last week) sent my MBP in for a battery replacement, since the stores are all closed. I shipped it out Thursday and got it back on Tuesday. Hell, 2 years ago I sent a 2017 in for a keyboard repair on CHRISTMAS EVE (dropped it off at the Apple store) and got it back 2 days after Christmas. I called Apple and they sent me a box to ship it in (with a shipping label) for $19.95.

A day to ship each way, and 1-2 days at the repair facility is how it goes in my experience. They have them all over the USA so you shouldn't get stuck with UPS having it for 4-5 days.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

japtor posted:

If you're not tied to buying from Apple there's occasional sales on B&H and Adorama and such, looks like there's a few on sale right now actually. Not huge savings but it's something.

I almost got excited about one on Adorama before finding out the price shown was already including the $400 rebate ha.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

getting my mom to open up her settings, go to the hotspot section, go to her computer, switch wifi networks, and type that password from her phone into the computer would be a non-trivial undertaking so if she could pay extra to get a SIM card in her computer i 100% would have her do that.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

thankfully you don't have to do any of that with macOS and iOS though

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

sleepwalkers posted:

getting my mom to open up her settings, go to the hotspot section, go to her computer, switch wifi networks, and type that password from her phone into the computer would be a non-trivial undertaking so if she could pay extra to get a SIM card in her computer i 100% would have her do that.

if your mom has an iphone, once it's set up, you can just select it from the wifi menu of a macbook and not touch your phone at all. this isn't going to be any more work than having to set it up the first time on the computer.

to be clear i support having a cell radio on macbooks because why not? but I don't think it's as necessary - esp if you're all in on apple - as it once was.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

sleepwalkers posted:

If it’s the same Apple ID on both accounts it’s automatic. That being said I’m sure there’s a use for some people to have it built in.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Think I *possibly* solved our macbook pro internet connectivity issues. Looks like she had DockWorks installed and looking at the console crash reports, I could see it crashing every 20-30 minutes. She's uninstalling that so fingers crossed.

edit: No more disconnects since she uninstalled it so looks like that's it!

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 16, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So while waiting for a modern mini to hit refurb, I decided to install the new SSD into my 2012 that kept panicking and just got worse and worse to the point I couldn’t do anything.

Restored everything from time machine after I installed the drive, and once again after a short time it goes into panic and I’m essentially shut out again.

Recovery doesn’t work.
Internet recovery doesn’t work.
Diagnostics doesn’t work.
Holding option brings up the hdd choice but the only options are the system drive, and my Time Machine so that doesn’t work.

Is it possible for a time machine backup to be absolutely poison that just restoring it has crippled the machine into unusability?

Im worried when I do get a new machine that if I run migration assistant it’s going to do the same thing, even though I’m sure it’d be the system files that are causing this rather than my data. But obviously it’s a worry still.

Now to strip out the ssd, try get it to talk to my laptop in disk utility, and wipe it to send back to amazon. Let’s hope they don’t mind I hosed the box up a bit opening it...

E: touching the case and it’s really has me worried maybe I hosed up the cooling when I put it back together, but it might just be the fact it’s worked itself to such temperatures.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
How does the old mini behave with a clean install? That’s the first step to determining if something calamitous has happened to your backups.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That was the next thing on my list, but without being able to get into any of the recovery modes I don’t know of an easy way in. Maybe make a USB installer from my laptop and try booting to that?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

EL BROMANCE posted:

That was the next thing on my list, but without being able to get into any of the recovery modes I don’t know of an easy way in. Maybe make a USB installer from my laptop and try booting to that?

Yeah, that’s what I’d opt for here. Sorry you’re going through it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hasturtium posted:

Yeah, that’s what I’d opt for here. Sorry you’re going through it.

Thanks, it just feels like one headache after another.

Went out and bought a fresh new usb drive, put the bootable installer on it, choose it in the options and immediately get the ‘can’t boot’ logo.

Put it on my Air and it goes into the expected status bar etc stuff (altho then tells me I need to update to run the installer which is unexpected but eh) so I know it’s not the usb.

Feels like to do anything I need to get the drive out, format it fresh, put it back in the machine and try again. Personally I think if a refurb machine doesn’t show up in the new few days I’m just gonna eat the full price and buy one new from Adorama or whatever and at least save myself the sales tax. Old Mini can go on eBay and let someone else waste their time with it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah sounds like the installer wants to upgrade your BootROM before it installs the system.

That can be a major pain because the firmware's only going to install from a special temp boot location which assumes you already have a healthy GUID partition formatted drive already set up..

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah at least I have no reason to actually go through with the install on the machine it brought that up on, but maybe that’s why it was failing instantly on the dead machine. Either way, I’m so done. It’ll be nice to get all up to date hardware in the same year at least.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Which hub should I buy for a 2020 MBP 13"?
I need to use my Wacom as an external monitor, and plug in at least 4 usb devices.
I hope this doesn't cause the fan to spin like nutso and heat the sucker up.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

excellent bird guy posted:

Which hub should I buy for a 2020 MBP 13"?
I need to use my Wacom as an external monitor, and plug in at least 4 usb devices.
I hope this doesn't cause the fan to spin like nutso and heat the sucker up.

The go to recommendation is always going to be the CalDigit T3 dock.
  • 2 x Thunderbolt™ 3
  • 1 x DisplayPort 1.2
  • 5 x USB-A 3.1 Gen 1 (5Gb/s, 1.5A, 7.5W)
  • 2 x USB-C
    1 x USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gb/s, 1.5A, 7.5W) Rear
    1 x USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 ( 5Gb/s, 1.5A, 7.5W) Front
  • 1 x SD Card Reader (SD 4.0 UHS-II)
  • 1 x Digital Optical Audio (S/PDIF)
  • 1 x Gigabit Ethernet
  • 1 x Analog Audio In (Stereo)
  • 1 x Analog Audio Out (Stereo)
I don't know from Wacom, but if it doesn't have a DP, you'll need a DP to HDMI cable to hook it up.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
The HP G2 Thunderbolt dock can be had new on ebay for $150 or less. Works great on my 16" MBP as a single cable solution.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-thunderbolt-dock-120w-g2

Separate note: Have any 16" MBP or 2020 13" MBP owners experienced the kernel panic on wake from sleep? I've mostly learned how to avoid it (keep lid open when connected to external display) but it's still incredibly annoying and Apple has been very slow to fix it. Part of me wishes I had returned it when I was within the window.

https://mrmacintosh.com/10-15-4-update-wake-from-sleep-kernel-panic-in-16-mbpro-2019/

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Actually, that's the CalDigit TS3 Plus dock; they had a TS3 regular but it had a lot of issues, all of which are mostly fixed on the TS3 Plus.

If you find that you don't want to spend the horrifyingly huge amount of $250+, consider CalDigit's MiniDock.

For only $130 on Amazon, it gives you:

1 x Thunderbolt 3 (40Gb/s)
2 x HDMI 2.0 (4096x2160 60Hz)
1 x USB 3.0 (5Gb/s)
1 x USB 2.0 (480Mb/s)
1 x Gigabit Ethernet (Rj45)
1 x CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 mini Dock - Dual HDMI

..which should be good for *most* purposes.

It has just the right amount of ports so that it doesn't go over Thunderbolt 3's limit of 15W per port and you don't get device drop-offs or connection issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Shot in the dark, but does anyone here have an old/spare MagSafe 1 or MagSafe 2 charger they aren't using? I'd be happy to take it off your hands :)

I posted in SA-Mart looking for one; was originally going to just get one of those cheapo knock-offs from Amazon from like $20, but then figured maybe a goon might have a genuine Apple OEM charger leftover after an upgrade to a USB-C charging MacBook. I'm currently using my old Core 2 Duo MacBook charger from 2006 with my mid-2012 Air using an adapter, but think this 60W brick is finally on its way out. I'm kind of amazed this MagSafe 1 charger is still semi-working after this long.