Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

lets hang out posted:

You need to progress the story a little more to start seeing other players' zipline towers, but don't expect to find functional networks of them.

All of the roads after the first few you'll have to complete yourself.

Will I still get a stupid amount of likes from other players after I make my own roads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Absolutely

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

the_enduser posted:

Double dipped and not regretting it. The PC improvements on frame rate alone are stunning. Detail is so good.

DLSS is really some voodoo magic. If you told me that you could render something internally at lower res, apply a process to upscale, and end up with a result that looks better than the raw pixel count you'd get if you were to just render the upscaled res natively, I'd have called you crazy.

Hopefully these fancy reconstruction techniques will continue to be the norm, rather than just options on head-end hardware.

It'd be rad if we got a Ray Tracing patch for Death Stranding. RT + DLSS 2.0 work so well together in Control.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 15, 2020

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I didn’t pee one single time in the entire game. I don’t feel like I missed anything. Did I miss anything?

It's my favorite kind of gaming in which doing things doesn't really mean anything, but the game still winks at you for doing it. Kojima really loves games and it shows.

null_user01013 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 15, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

edgar_ posted:

I keep thinking about this question as I play through this game for the first time. I read this piece a few days ago and can’t stop thinking about it. Nothing to add besides quotes that struck me

https://www.pastemagazine.com/games/death-stranding/death-stranding-and-america/

We should expect some more familiar landscapes than we got but I was assuming that between the void outs and the timefall that there's not much left that would be recognizable beyond major geographic features.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If enough players piss on the same spot it will grow a big mushroom colony with a bunch of cryptobiotes to snatch.

edit: you can also piss on the ground BT puddles to get rid of them.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 15, 2020

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im in the 2nd region with all the mules. i ran into their base, bola gunned like 10 of them, counter and beat the gently caress out of another 3, now im stealing all their poo poo and loading it on a truck to go build a road. game is fuckin good

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

edgar_ posted:

I keep thinking about this question as I play through this game for the first time. I read this piece a few days ago and can’t stop thinking about it. Nothing to add besides quotes that struck me

https://www.pastemagazine.com/games/death-stranding/death-stranding-and-america/

"The characters don’t comment on the landscape in a way that explains how this topography is so vastly different from any existing one within the continental United States signaled by the game"

When people die giant craters are created and rain makes things old and disintegrate, the planet has been bombed over multiple times. According to the elder guy, it's been about 50 years of post apocalyptic weather we can't even begin to understand in real world terms. That's probably why you don't see a bunch of Arby's and mount rushmore

Iceland was totally the inspiration for a lot of the look, but the story makes no mention of it not actually being the US. That article also kinda lost me when it said "the rocks are dicks".

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

AxeManiac posted:

"The characters don’t comment on the landscape in a way that explains how this topography is so vastly different from any existing one within the continental United States signaled by the game"

That ignores the expounded-upon-unto-death concept in the game that anything touched by rain is time accelerated

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've been ok with it being a gameplay conceit. They needed good feeling geography for hiking mixed with variations that look natural within hundreds of feet, while also making those hundreds of feet feel like hundreds of miles.

Compare to something like EuroTruck/AmericanTruck where you often round a biome corner into somewhere new giving you good sightseeing feels but short circuiting the illusion of distance. Being one biome with a lot of natural variation let's you do that illusion without those jarring biome corners/hills where the natural terrain needs 1000 miles to make the transition feel right.

E. I'd throw Horizon Zero Dawn into the abrupt biome pile too and it might be a more relevant comparison

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is there a way to keep two seperate savegames on the same Steam account? I've got family who would like to try it but you can't name your saves and the names the games gives saves aren't helpful for distinguishing between two seperate games.

Edit: Failing that is there a way to download my save and back it up while my fam plays?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 15, 2020

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Still very much loving the game. I also discovered that I am very good at it.

It did take me a bit by surprise how quickly you cover the map. I'm only about 7 hours in, but it seems like I already covered about 1/4th of the horizontal distance. Then again, making the map even bigger would probably make it hard to keep it all interesting, so I'm fine with it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Shinmera posted:

It did take me a bit by surprise how quickly you cover the map. I'm only about 7 hours in, but it seems like I already covered about 1/4th of the horizontal distance. Then again, making the map even bigger would probably make it hard to keep it all interesting, so I'm fine with it.

This is some top tier Death Stranding footage.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

queeb posted:

im in the 2nd region with all the mules. i ran into their base, bola gunned like 10 of them, counter and beat the gently caress out of another 3, now im stealing all their poo poo and loading it on a truck to go build a road. game is fuckin good

Make sure you try using thrown cargo as a weapon at some point. You can chuck a suitcase at a guy to KO him, and then during the knockout slow-mo, grab a piece of cargo falling off of his pack and turn to throw it at his buddy in a smooth motion. It's like the Matrix if instead of using guns they were just throwing boxes of broken DVDs at each others' heads.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
On a second play-through it seems certain packages for say slightly hidden bunkers will only spawn after story unlocks. Can anyone else confirm/deny?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Shinmera posted:

You'll get an item later on that is really helpful for packages like those. I love the feel of using it and how it works.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I just realized that I only just got to Heart mans place in my PS4 play through and instead of being a normal person and just finishing it that way...I bought the PC version to play on GeForce Now (since I get DLSS).

That said I feel like I’d play a hell of a lot more efficiently now...eh who am I kidding I’ll still spend like 15 hours building roads. But this way at least I can relearn the controls again (last time I played was mid December).

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

if you never pissed in the hideouts you missed out on the piss grenades, which are kind of whatever but also really funny to throw near porters. you also missed out on the blood piss grenade but i never managed to get one fo those, you have to get the absolute poo poo kicked out of you and largely i did not do that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You also have to eat a cryptobiote at some point to unlock the poop grenades. If you poop before you've eaten at least one the game won't give you the no. 2 grenades, it'll just play the animation and that's it. Extra-curricular pooping action.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Im very happy PC players are getting their hands on this. I was the fan who told my friends about the game without spoiling anything to them and im getting loaded with questions from them. My safe bet is wait 10-12 in game hours before start throwing people a bone honestly.

I just don't have the means to purchasing this game again. But I did play two playthroughs on the PS4 version! And I can wait a bit before its on sale or something.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Out of curiosity, how did you guys handle the chapter 2 mission where you have to go to the port, and pass through a long rocky area full of BTs? That was astonishingly frustrating- I was super-weighted down by cargo, most of it was necessary, and it felt like terrain didn't really play a role- I tried once sneaking straight through and once being all tricky with climbing ropes and ladders around the edge of the level, and ran into about the same number of enemies both times.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

Out of curiosity, how did you guys handle the chapter 2 mission where you have to go to the port, and pass through a long rocky area full of BTs? That was astonishingly frustrating- I was super-weighted down by cargo, most of it was necessary, and it felt like terrain didn't really play a role- I tried once sneaking straight through and once being all tricky with climbing ropes and ladders around the edge of the level, and ran into about the same number of enemies both times.

My specific approach:
1. "I bet if I'm real slick with this motorcycle I can dodge and weave though all the BTs"
2. Dodge first BT I see, run directly into second one, get attacked by giant oil squid or something
3. Struggle through the tar until the squid gives up, collect all my damaged cargo, go on my way

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Omi no Kami posted:

No tips but once you get past this and into ch3 the game opens up in such a wonderful way.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

My usual method for dealing with BTs at that point was to go slow, scan often, and hematic grenade BTs to make a path when I couldn't just sneak around them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://twitter.com/DeepGameRes/status/1283581143116402694?s=20

It's already startin'!! Yeeeeahhh!!

night slime
May 14, 2014
BRIDGET: Whatcha lookin for dumbass

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Omi no Kami posted:

I packed the motorcycle full of Hematic Grenades and drove very slowly up the hill. And stopped when BTs were near. Then I used grenades on them until the path was clear.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Triarii posted:

My specific approach:
1. "I bet if I'm real slick with this motorcycle I can dodge and weave though all the BTs"
2. Dodge first BT I see, run directly into second one, get attacked by giant oil squid or something
3. Struggle through the tar until the squid gives up, collect all my damaged cargo, go on my way

Same :sweatdrop: except I waited for some ghosts to lob me some grenades because I only just learned reading this thread today that you can actually run away from mini-bosses.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

I wonder if when we'll get infinite stacking mod.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Triarii posted:

My specific approach:

I'm going to go there next and I am sure that would have been my approach, if

I hadn't smashed my bike directly into a BT right next to the previous outpost on my way there. I had no idea about the squid, so that freaked me out a bunch, but I somehow managed to get rid of it by throwing out all the grenades I had on me. Cargo and bike survived undamaged too, lucky me!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

WaltherFeng posted:

I packed the motorcycle full of Hematic Grenades and drove very slowly up the hill. And stopped when BTs were near. Then I used grenades on them until the path was clear.

That's pretty much what I ended up doing- I may have gone a little overboard, because this was my mission loadout for my successful attempt:

Also, apparently the motorcycle approach is hilariously easy once you get good at dodging BTs without stopping to scan. I immediately got oiled every time I tried, but apparently they're slower than the bike and straight-up can't touch you unless you're me and plow straight into one.

You guys are absolutely right about it opening up though- making deliveries on roads genuinely make me feel like I'm cheating.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Do bases passively gain materials or do I need to replace everything I take?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

Do bases passively gain materials or do I need to replace everything I take?

Both. They restock but you can also make deliveries to speed things along.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Omi no Kami posted:

Park bike, create mailbox. Put stuff in mailbox, trigger BTs, trigger boss, run into it's mouth. Grab stuff out of postbox, continue journey with dead baby but 100% intact cargo.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So is there ever a reason NOT to be rocking a skeleton once you unlock them? In exchange for losing two S slots on your suit you gain a huge speed boost or an extra 100-200kg of carrying weight.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Pierson posted:

So is there ever a reason NOT to be rocking a skeleton once you unlock them? In exchange for losing two S slots on your suit you gain a huge speed boost or an extra 100-200kg of carrying weight.

Skeletons are always good to have. Just be sure to look at your battery levels.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pierson posted:

Never was without a skeleton unless forced to be once I earned my first one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My theory is that exo-skeletons originally made more noise than no skeleton for stealth gameplay purposes, because they're bright and stompy and mechanical. It'd be harder to sneak around BTs or MULEs so you'd want to take it off every now and then. But maybe they decided that was too big a punishment for something so useful and got rid of it.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I got DS as a gift from a family member, so I feel like I need to play it, but I'm really worried it's going to be a complete snooze-fest based on its reputation.

I've really enjoyed most of Kojima's game, excluding MGS V which I found to be very boring after Quiet's introduction. This seems like it's him back to doing weird interesting poo poo, but I also keep hearing that it's super boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

if you're into the gameplay its totally engrossing but its also literally walking packages around and some sneaking from invisible ghosts. they always introduce something new as soon as it starts to wear though. its paced really well.