Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

The "better than first impressions would indicate" S1 was in 2013. The acclaimed S2 was in 2015. And now, after four years of LN author Wataru Watari writing out the final arc & ending plus another year for animation work (and a COVID-19 seasonal delay), we have a S3 that should definitively conclude the series up until the moment the author needs a down payment for a new home or something.

Season 3 synopsis posted:

As the members of the Service Club band together to host a school prom, Hachiman, Yukino and Yui will have to put their feelings into words and truly learn to understand each other at long last… if the Service Club can even stay afloat, that is!

:siren: As the light novel series has been completed, tread carefully on the internet and don't bring SPOILERS unnecessarily into the thread. :siren:

Main trio:

Hikigaya Hachiman wants something real/genuine/authentic

Yuigahama Yui wants everything

Yukinoshita Yukino wants... something by the end of S2, but then it took the author years to write out what that meant and it was like on & off too inbetween work on non-starter franchises that if successful could've hastened his fall from grace to salaryman life after this ride was over, so S3 should be able to answer what her desire was

We'll also have Iroha, Hayama & his clique, Haruno, Komachi, Totsuka, Shizuka-sensei, Gahama-mama, Yukinoshita mother, dunno if Rumi will appear, Sakiwhoever, Tamanawa hands guy, Sore Aru girl?, probably some other peripheral characters I forgot about

:siren: Streaming on HIDIVE and Crunchyroll :siren:

Thus, let the last dance commence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So loving ready to see this animated!

Also with regards to this:

Coaaab posted:

:siren: As the light novel series has been completed, tread carefully on the internet and don't bring SPOILERS unnecessarily into the thread. :siren:
As a completely biased, unfair, and tyrannical decree, punishment on any spoilers will be swift, ruthless, and ugly.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've managed to avoid spoilers in hopes best girl will win but I know in my heart that's never the case. :smith:

I wonder how condensed it'll be. It feels like there's a lot of ground to cover but I don't actually know how many volumes the first three seasons covered.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
S1 covered 6 volumes, S2 covered 5 volumes, and S3 will ostensibly cover the last 3 volumes

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
LN adaptations are always so weird, S2 felt a bit more rushed to me. :iiam:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I'm going to have to watch this from the beginning before getting into S3. I can only remember bits and peices of the last couple of seasons like season 1 had an sCRYed reference and Hachiman's tee-hee pero moment.

Now that I think about it, both of those might have been the same scene.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I'm going to have to watch this from the beginning before getting into S3. I can only remember bits and pieces of the last couple of seasons like season 1 had an sCRYed reference and Hachiman's tee-hee pero moment.

Now that I think about it, both of those might have been the same scene.
Indeed it was!

Would still rec for you to watch it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Acerbatus posted:

I've managed to avoid spoilers in hopes best girl will win but I know in my heart that's never the case. :smith:

Only in Drama CD alternate futures.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Rewatching S1 with fansubs and getting my brain to process the S1 designs is breaking it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I look forward to Yui getting her throuple.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
WHAT THE gently caress. :cry:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Since I don't have time for anime watching these days, who does hachiman get with in the end anyways?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
no one will give you a straight answer because of the thread's spoiler rule, but you could probably look it up somewhere like on the oregairu reddit

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Acerbatus posted:

Since I don't have time for anime watching these days, who does hachiman get with in the end anyways?

Me

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Is there a decent synopsis of the story so far to the end of S2? I haven't watched it since the original airing and I'm not really keen on rewatching S2 just to be able to get through S3. It jumped right in and I forget why the heck any of this is happening.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I rewatched the series at 2x speed in prep for this since I forgot everything including that I had actually watched the series some years ago. It was pretty funny as every one had the high pitched voices especially with Iroha and Yugihama. So i recommend this strategy since you can also skip ahead some parts as you remember poo poo.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Acerbatus posted:

Please don't.

garter_snake
Feb 13, 2012

I never thought I'd see the day s3 happened, thought the author had something happen to him.

Glad it doesn't look like it will end in a Full Metal Panic situation, where a great show never gets completed.

Now I'm going to have to rewatch the first two seasons...

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Basically dude had like a Nagaru Tanigawa (Haruhi Suzumiya's author) moment and felt a shitload of pressure in writing the last arc of the story (which is covered by volumes 12-14, which this season will adapt). Like it took him 4-to-5 years to crank out 3 books because he was like "Oh poo poo, this got real. Fuckfuckfuckfuck!"

Also he became friends with Hachiman's VA and they got together to watch the anime when it aired a couple of times.

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

I know the show won't actually give me the poly end the characters clearly all deserve but I hope it at least ends in a way where I can headcanon that it totally still happened offscreen.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

BlitznBurst posted:

I know the show won't actually give me the poly end the characters clearly all deserve but I hope it at least ends in a way where I can headcanon that it totally still happened offscreen.

Same. There's so much building up to a poly end and it would be satisfying to see.

On a side note, here is a mildly :nws: twitter douj by a real person of culture. https://mangadex.org/title/51272/hiratsu-cute-shizu-cute

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

BlitznBurst posted:

Hachiman, the tennis player and the fujoshi isn't what I was rooting for, but if it's what the people want...

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

BlitznBurst posted:

I would be more happy with a double gay ending. Hachiman finally finds the genuine thing with the tennis player and Yui and Yukino finally confess to everyone their love for each other.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Also wishing for the poly ending here too. I don’t think I could really believe in any other outcome for the service club trio, however improbable it is that the story actually goes there.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I just want Yui to be happy. Especially after rewatching the first two seasons. She's just so earnest and sweet and Hachiman dismissing the kindness as pity and her as a "nice girl" early on is devastatingly real, entirely understandable, and totally unfair.

I like this show.

Unironically give us the poly end though.

e: Also re-watching gave me a whole new appreciation of the studio swap after S1. Even aside from general look and feel, the character animation is so much better in S2 and they convey so much with it.

S3 ep4 spoilers: You know how people always joke about death flags? You know like "When we get back from the war, I'll propose to her"? I felt that hard with Yui talking about wanting to be a wife and inviting Hikki over to bake a cake. definitely had to pause this one for a sec towards the end. sorry yui, your greatest flaw is that you aren't the least bit selfish.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 1, 2020

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Can we talk about how loving cute 8man is when he nerds out about the vending machine though?

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
It was my favorite. He is adorable.

I liked how Yui didn't understand it at all, but tacitly approved of him being cute about it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Droyer posted:

Can we talk about how loving cute 8man is when he nerds out about the vending machine though?
Hanging with Saika, Yui and Yukinon, the 8man realized that he needed to let go and accept that he, too, can be a cute dork.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I want all these children to be happy and there is a way for that to happen if the writer and director and production committee aren't cowards.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wark Say posted:

Please don't.

You mean ask for spoilers or what?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
As it was mentioned upthread (both in the OP and first post after):

Coaaab posted:

Wark Say posted:

As a completely biased, unfair, and tyrannical decree, punishment on any spoilers will be swift, ruthless, and ugly.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
still rooting for the "everybody ends up alone" ending

no happiness in reality OR fiction! :twisted:

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

A big flaming stink posted:

still rooting for the "everybody ends up alone" ending

no happiness in reality OR fiction! :twisted:

I'm for the "Run away with the teacher" route myself. Change your mind, Hikki, and marry that woman!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yui had better win after this episode.

Or sensei.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The fact that Yukino gets more time in the opening is the biggest sign to me that she’s going to win.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://i.imgur.com/J7vQV2S.mp4

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

A motherfuckin' rap battle!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
It was handily the funniest episode this season so I'm assuming the next episodes will just be more pain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Rudoku posted:

A motherfuckin' rap battle!

I loved that Yui took her phone out to film it.