Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Josh Lyman posted:

I was at an advance screening of The Neon Demon and a guy said out loud right about here, "I don't get it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI0zkUbRyNo&t=137s

Dudes Rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jolo posted:

I will say that a certain type of horror movie is a different experience with a crowd. Movies with a bunch of jump scares can be fun if the crowd is gasping and reacting along with you. However, a lot of good atmospheric horror can be absolutely ruined by something like a person with a crackly candy bag wrapper or something like that.
The absolute best moviegoing experience I've ever had was Evil Dead 2 on the one night it was shown in my home town. Every seat full, nobody quite sure what to expect (this was looooong pre-internet, so any hype was because it was the sequel to a film that was at the time banned in the UK)... and it was basically like riding a rollercoaster for 90 minutes. The entire audience was screaming, laughing and gasping through the whole thing. I've never seen anything remotely like it since.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought it was great that theaters seemed to have finally found their niche in this day in age by transforming themselves into a more “luxury” experience via food and drink, comfortable seating, and top tier video/audio quality. I was actually at the point where I was regularly going to the theater again after ignoring them in favor of VOD for years. I think it blows that many of them will probably be devastated by the pandemic.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

veni veni veni posted:

I thought it was great that theaters seemed to have finally found their niche in this day in age by transforming themselves into a more “luxury” experience via food and drink, comfortable seating, and top tier video/audio quality. I was actually at the point where I was regularly going to the theater again after ignoring them in favor of VOD for years. I think it blows that many of them will probably be devastated by the pandemic.

Same, over the last couple years we have really enjoyed going and sitting in a nice recliner and having a drink. :(

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I had some time to kill on a work trip so I saw Spring Breakers at like 230 in the afternoon

The only other people in attendance were a man and his 12-ish son.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I used to go to the movies on Tuesday for the cheap tickets. Saw Parasite at like 2pm with five others. I wish I would've invited them to get a drink and discuss the movie because clearly they had their priorities straight. This was way before the hype too. Movies should be communal experiences!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Benagain posted:

I had some time to kill on a work trip so I saw Spring Breakers at like 230 in the afternoon

The only other people in attendance were a man and his 12-ish son.

Lol best dad ever

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Weaponized Cum posted:

I used to go to the movies on Tuesday for the cheap tickets. Saw Parasite at like 2pm with five others. I wish I would've invited them to get a drink and discuss the movie because clearly they had their priorities straight. This was way before the hype too. Movies should be communal experiences!

Not all movies! I saw The Lighthouse with a terrible hangover at an afternoon show in an otherwise entirely empty theater and that was a wonderful way to experience that movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There was a theater in the middle of construction in a former Toys R Us building that's a two minute drive away from me before they completely halted it. I really hope it's just on hold rather than cancelled. It would have been so nice.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I saw Pulp Fiction in the theater when it came out and two seats away was a girl who’d seen it before and kept telling her friend what was about to happen. loving ruined it for me.

My absolute best theater experience in terms of the crowd reactions was seeing Aliens on opening night in 1986. And The Thing on opening night in 1982

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I never got the whole meal with a movie thing tbh

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
One of my favorite theater experiences is the time I took my now ex-Father in Law to go see the Crying Game with me. He was completely blind (how zero idea what the movie was about), while I got spoiled by reading EW. When that one moment came, his expression was glorious. So was all the people who walked out of the movie at that moment. MY FIL still thought it was special effects after the movie finished.

Best theater experience might have been Grindhouse. People got up and walked out of that one too (I think they had no idea what they bought tickets for). The crowd that stayed responded perfectly to the movie.

Most awkward was as a kid during Return of the Living Dead. My parents made my brother and me turn our heads anytime nudity was on the screen. Once the topless punk rocker got infected it was nothing but being told in front of everyone in a full theater to turn our heads and than being told it was ok to look now like every 5 minutes.

Jolo posted:

Saw one of the Lord of the Rings movies with a bunch of friends and while my friends were annoyed, I was highly entertained by this loud dumb lady who was sitting behind us.

My Fellowship of the Ring experience was one of my favorite movie experiences, but the worst was the 20 minutes or so before the movie. Behind us was a very nerdy couple who already seen the movie (I think at the showing before ours, because this was day 1 of release). So we had to listen to them dissect the whole movie they just watched before we got to watch the movie. Of course it was about everything that didn't make in from the book. I think they annoyed everyone in ear shot. Let me be clear as a 2x read of the book myself, thank God Tom Bombadil didn't show up in FOTR.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 16, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

sponges posted:

Get to kick back in a plush comfy chair, get to watch a new movie you're excited about on a real big screen, get to have fried pickles, a burger, and a couple of beers while you watch it. It's just concentrated enjoyment, what's not to love :confused:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

nate fisher posted:

Most awkward was as a kid during Return of the Living Dead. My parents made my brother and me turn our heads anytime nudity was on the screen. Once the topless punk rocker got infected it was nothing but being told in front of everyone in a full theater to turn our heads and than being told it was ok to look now like every 5 minutes.

That had to have been amazingly awkward, surprised they didn't walk you guys out. It's been a while, but that character was fully nude for at least 1/3 of the movie as I recall.

I think that tops my awkward theater experience, when Silence of the Lambs came out and my parents decided I was old enough to watch R rated movies with them. I wanted to be anywhere else after the scene where Jodie Foster gets jizz thrown in her face.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sponges posted:

I get ordering drinks and something to nosh on, but yeah, actual dinner with a movie is weird.

Talking of Pulp Fiction, I saw that when it came out in one of those bar/theaters, and despite being very obviously under 21, they let all of us order wine lol

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

sponges posted:

When I got dragged to the theater with friends to see some bloated blockbuster I was glad to have the distraction.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Best for me was also Grindhouse. Best crowd I've ever been a part of watching a film. Worst / most awkward was seeing Sphere and a guy a couple rows back had really pronounced Tourette's. It didn't bother me but I just felt so bad for the guy the whole time, and people were of course being passive aggressive and lovely about it.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Grindhouse opening night ruled because at one point the theater's fire alarm went off during Planet Terror with all these red sirens and everybody was so into the movie that we all thought it was legit part of the show

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The movie dining experience ruled because when you both worked 9-5 jobs and had to factor traffic, it could be close to 7 before you can actually get to the theater so you might as well combine both since time is so limited. And getting a drink in the lobby before the showtime? Bliss. I miss the Before Times.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Sphere reminds me that I saw the movie The Abyss in the theater with Lars Ulrich and pretty much the whole road crew of Metallica. Now I know this sounds lame now, but imagine you are a 16 year old metal head, it is 1989 when Metallica was at their peak as a cool non-mainstream thrash band (they only had one video at the time, One), and I lived in Johnson City, TN where you don't meet thrash bands or any bands really. I don't remember much about the movie, but we followed them to their hotel (which was in walking distance of theater) and I ended up meeting the whole band that night (all but James) plus members of the Cult (their opening band). They did play the next night (great show), and I got backstage passes. I hung out with Kirk Hammet for a few hours after the show while he picked up a high school senior I knew (to be clear she was 18). Those 2 nights were 2 of the best nights of my teenage years.

Tim Whatley posted:

Grindhouse opening night ruled because at one point the theater's fire alarm went off during Planet Terror with all these red sirens and everybody was so into the movie that we all thought it was legit part of the show

Now that is perfect.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

The movie dining experience ruled because when you both worked 9-5 jobs and had to factor traffic, it could be close to 7 before you can actually get to the theater so you might as well combine both since time is so limited. And getting a drink in the lobby before the showtime? Bliss. I miss the Before Times.

Yeah, this is for sure part of it as well. It allowed me to get off work on a weeknight, go to the theater, get a decent meal, watch a movie, and be in bed by 10 without feeling stressed or rushed.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Tim Whatley posted:

That happened to me during War of the Worlds. Tom Cruise looked out the window of the house and BAM - sirens. We thought the house had been hit by something and it triggered the fire alarm as a jump scare. They had to evacuate the theater, so we didn't get to watch it until the next day.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Keith Atherton posted:

I saw Pulp Fiction in the theater when it came out and two seats away was a girl who’d seen it before and kept telling her friend what was about to happen. loving ruined it for me.

My absolute best theater experience in terms of the crowd reactions was seeing Aliens on opening night in 1986. And The Thing on opening night in 1982

Ok I'm jealous as hell of all of these

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Get to kick back in a plush comfy chair, get to watch a new movie you're excited about on a real big screen, get to have fried pickles, a burger, and a couple of beers while you watch it. It's just concentrated enjoyment, what's not to love :confused:

Servers wandering around, silverware clanking, people munching on food etc.

I dunno, not for me

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I'm trying to watch True Detective again, so far I'm still hoping the murderer wins. The first time I quit halfway into the first episode and now I remember why; aside from generally being reminded of the worst parts of growing up in the south, I found it intensely boring at first and I have a personal dislike for the sort of character workshop monologuing into the camera that really only seems to have shown up in the first half of the first episode anyway. Basically just past the point I quit, all the weird fiction and intrigue that actually makes the show interesting picks up. One day I'll learn to watch a whole pilot. I'm digging that intrigue, but man I hate both of these detectives, mostly Woody. I'll keep going and assume that's part of the point

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Inspector Hound posted:

I'm digging that intrigue, but man I hate both of these detectives, mostly Woody. I'll keep going and assume that's part of the point

Oh it's definitely part of the point, they both suck rear end and it pays off.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

sponges posted:

Servers wandering around, silverware clanking, people munching on food etc.

I dunno, not for me
Plus it's all just an excuse to make overpriced movie tickets even more overpriced, it's all fugazi.

Now ALCOHOL in a movie theater? Now we're talking. Sneak some in, buy some there, and boom suddenly this movie is 50% more entertaining.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Just go to the drive in and bring your own food and drugs it's the best of both worlds.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I really enjoyed my local comfy chair dinner theater but then they got bought out by some corporate fucker who made all the food worse and jacked the prices up 50%

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Just go to the drive in and bring your own food and drugs it's the best of both worlds.

Yeah what's the status on drive-ins nowadays? you could car bar, car bong, the other car bar, car tartar, the world could be your car oyster

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Can i basically gently caress at the drive thru or is that something that only happens in the white man's movies

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Can i basically gently caress at the drive thru or is that something that only happens in the white man's movies

Wendy's frowns upon that

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I mean park toward the back corner

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

Yeah what's the status on drive-ins nowadays? you could car bar, car bong, the other car bar, car tartar, the world could be your car oyster

Our local drive in in NH is rockin 7 days a week. They sell tickets in advance and capacity at 50%. Two screens, each showing two films as it always has. Their food shack is walk up only. They're showing basically double features of all classics which owns. Last week was Empire Strikes Back/BTTF and screen 2 was Goonies/Gremlins. In the before times they would do a Grateful Dead concert night and have vendors come and sell "tobacco pipes."

You have to drive through a quarter mile of corn fields to get to the actual drive in, and one of my favorite memories as a kid was seeing Signs there in the back of a pickup truck and then riding in the back of said pickup with my friends out of the drive in and being freaked the gently caress out at all the cornfields around us. Drive in theaters own.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
One good thing about Peacock: their Pluto TV-like channel that shows nothing but old Unsolved Mysteries.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

mcmagic posted:

I really appreciate an 1:30 movie but the ending was super abrupt. Completely agree that JK Simmons was underused. Cristin Militoli is great in everything.

I really liked Palm Springs, but I'm not a fan of the ending. It was abrupt and didn't feel earned. It was like oh we have to finish the movie in the next 10 minutes what is the easiest way we can wrap this up. Also I agree with the movie having zero emotional punch. Despite it's theme of repeating destructive behavior is bad for you, it is a pretty shallow movie. That said it is a good movie despite it's flaws (the dance number at the bar was really funny), I just wished they handled the last half hour better.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I used to go to the movies like 5 times a year maximum, but ever since Moviepass and later A-List was a thing the theater became my weekly mass.

It'd be a shame if my church disappears, but I sincerely doubt that will happen.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I only have two theater memories that really stand out; first was opening night of The Matrix, you could tell everyone was really into it but when Morpheus says "No, what I'm saying is, when you're ready, you won't need to." some guy in front lets out the loudest 'Ugh' and the theater burst into laughter foe 5 mins.

Second was Kill Bill part 2 opening night, everytime a famous actor's name showed in the credit, thunderous applause, even Sonny Chiba. Same when those actors showed, except for Sonny Chiba.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I watched Saw in theaters, and scene where someone gets an electric shock through their chain uses what at the time felt like a completely cartoonish and silly zzzzap sound effect. The whole theater started laughing pretty hard and it took several minutes to cool down... kinda helped us all ease the awkward tension of accepting that it was a pretty bad movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

God I miss going to the movies.

Favorite memories for me: my dad taking me to see Starship Troopers with my friend when we were 11. We thought it was the greatest movie we had ever seen. My dad had to make my friend promise not to tell his parents about the nudity.

Second fav memory: seeing the Mark Walhberg Planet Of The Apes. As mark closed in to kiss the monkey lady someone in the back of the theatre yelled “marky mark noooooo arrgggkkk” I think of it every time I see walhberg now.