Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.

Mr. Nemo posted:

"I don't understand even the people in the tales.
Of course it's pathetic, but if they've lived in a free ride, they should be grateful for everything."

Lol, you weren't kidding! It's not like peolpe in first had a drat bowling alley, there simple wasn't enough for everyone to have a decent standard of living.

Everyone think's they'd be in first class but in reality they'd be in the tall. (or a human popsicle).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I bet after 7 years with nothing but employees, Wilford believes in two classes, WILFORD and everyone else, bitch. I don't think he's going to have much time for First's bullshit. Urgh I can't believe I have to wait for like a year for the next season.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Next season is almost done filming so hopefully they can knock it off relatively quickly. They've been doing the sfx for what they did film since they shut down.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

so what was with the guy spontaneously learning mandarin?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

oh but seriously I posted:

We don't know yet.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Rich gently caress minds get overwritten into pleb brains is my prediction

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Did anyone mention how Melanie looked out the left side window with binoculars and saw the front of his train coming toward them?

Seems like the effects department wasn't on the same page as the director

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

xerxus posted:

It sucks that they were so close to finishing the second season.
You think that's bad, Fargo Season 4 was a couple of weeks away from being done and that show was supposed to come out a month after wrap. It is still my most anticipated show of the year and I'm so incredibly anxious over how long the wait will be to see it.

RYYSZLA posted:

by episode 3 I was just checked out.

I want it to be for me, because all indications say this is gonna be a mr robot / the wire / prestige-drama-style overarching story which is my kind of poo poo.
It's prestige-lite. It has most of the trappings of a proper prestige show but it doesn't reach those heights due to some loose writing and looser camera work. The acting is there, the plotting eventually gets there (you should keep watching, the show gets better as it goes and you are at the exact point where it begins to get interesting) but the entire package as a whole is "high potential that couldn't be reached" while still being an above-average, entertaining production.

SpaceAceJase posted:

Did anyone mention how Melanie looked out the left side window with binoculars and saw the front of his train coming toward them?

I thought this was weird at first but if you notice the angle of attack on the incoming train's rail line (shown when the satellite imagery occasionally pops up) the train is actually at an angle that, more or less, she is seeing it almost head on. If the front of Snowpiercer is degree 0 and she's looking out the left window at a -135 degree angle, she should be seeing Big Alice head-on before it finishes the curve of track it's on to meet up with Snowpiercer's.

Flint_Paper posted:

Season 2: I'm really excited to see Sean Bean's Wilford, but I was kinda hoping that the drawers were keeping Wilford alive somehow. Like the whole train was a 40k Dreadnaught
This was my guess and good on the show for not being predictable (one of the reasons I stuck with it, I dislike highly predictable shows) but at the same time, it would be weird for Melanie to lie about his death if he were literally on the train. She could have saved her own life by just saying he's in a drawer. By insisting he's dead (when, in her mind, he is likely dead. The supply train is still a surprise to them) whether she's lying or not, we're assured he isn't nearby.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 14, 2020

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

Donnerberg posted:

I think you should give episode 5 a go. The show only gets better once it's done pretending to be a police procedural.

Alright, I took your advice and episode 5 was a vast improvement on how it felt like it was about to turn into another Person Of Interest type "if only they were making a show for the ultra nerds rather than the common denominator" thing

Mr. Nemo posted:

If your expectation is Mr. Robot or the Wire I'd suggest you check out of the show now.

I think the murder plot should be done by episode 4 or 5, and it only gets better after that.

I misworded that, I don't expect it to be as good as (the two greatest TV shows ever made that aren't twin peaks), but it's aiming to be that type of "prestige show" as far as I can tell, so needs to up the.... uh, interestingness. The nightcar was an interesting touch but felt like scratching the surface of what could've been a cooler subtheme.

The "loose" camerawork is really putting me off. Every now and then it looks like it was shot by the C-or-D-unit instead of the A guys

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

SpaceAceJase posted:

I was so confused by that I thought she somehow saw the front of their train, like a mirror or something

I'm kind of slow

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

I love how just casting Sean Bean means he’s probably going to get pinched

Was it ever explained why first class still has so much power and influence? Is it just because hospitality and the jackboots like palling around with people that used to be important?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

cheese sandwich posted:

I love how just casting Sean Bean means he’s probably going to get pinched

Was it ever explained why first class still has so much power and influence? Is it just because hospitality and the jackboots like palling around with people that used to be important?
As of last year, the Sean Bean meme is dead.

Various articles on the internet from 2019 posted:

In a new interview with The Sun, Bean said his infamous history of dying onscreen has changed the way he considers agreeing to a film or television role. The actor has started turning down roles in which his character will die, but not out of an ego-driven desire for more screen time

As for the first class's power and influence, it's purely money driven. They bought their tickets, the money was put towards the work to build the entirety of the train, they are now simply riding out their investment. Second and Third, also having paid but not quite as much, are from the world and belief that this was enough for them to deserve what they had. It took a first class passenger murdering two non-firsties and clearly getting away with it for people to want an uprising. For the prior 7 years, nobody really cared because they were alive and also not in the tail. Oh God I'm sorry for getting political here but it's a serious parallel: It honestly makes sense when you consider that America managed 8 years with W. Bush after 9/11 without uprisings like Occupy, #MeToo, or BLM. It takes a spark and the train didn't have one until now.

RYYSZLA posted:

The "loose" camerawork is really putting me off. Every now and then it looks like it was shot by the C-or-D-unit instead of the A guys
The interesting part of this fact is that when the A-team as work, it's very, very obvious and very, very good and fun.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 15, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Kegslayer posted:

Is anybody else watching this because goddamn that finale was amazing.

Huh, I'm stopping here because I don't think netflix (at least where I am) is at the same place as you guys. I think there's 2 episodes to go. I've just seen the revolution bit where the guy says Layton won't be able to fight long term.

Edit, watching I've had the feeling that the tail people were always planned to be on the train. With the labour they do it seems like there numbers were a necessity. I might be wrong, but then again the whole setup is weird as hell and who gives a poo poo about first class passengers.

Melanie gives me the impression she hates pandering to them, but can't not do that because the ideal of changing things would be devastating. The cars are already designed and built for the system, she's trapped in it without a means for change. Which falls apart a bit because she designed the train, albeit for Wilford.

And it took only 5ish years for people to treat Wilford like a literal deity, it's bonkers and I'm surprised more people even in first and second haven't gone mad.

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 15, 2020

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

cheese sandwich posted:

Why do the rich have power and influence now?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Why do the rich have power and influence now?

Because they can use their money to influence people, which isn't really the case when you're on a magic train speeding through a world of ice.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Film chat: re-watching it, and when Curtis meets Wilford, and Wilford talks about how everyone is in their pre-ordained position, he makes the same, mechanical hand movement that Mason made when giving the shoe chat.

Is that to mimic a piston? Is there some previously-shown but of machinery that makes this movement?

Are these questions going to be answered by me watching a bit more and seeing the kids Victorian cotton looming the engine?

Edit: yep. Don't mind me

Flint_Paper fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 15, 2020

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Something that seemed weird on the finale was when the hatch to Wilson's train was turning it ended on the W being inverted, an M.

Besides remindg me of Mr Burns shooting it may have some other meaning. The obvious one is Melanie, but what? Melanie clearly isn't behind the other train.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Mr. Nemo posted:

Something that seemed weird on the finale was when the hatch to Wilson's train was turning it ended on the W being inverted, an M.

Besides remindg me of Mr Burns shooting it may have some other meaning. The obvious one is Melanie, but what? Melanie clearly isn't behind the other train.

Maybe it’s because this is actually the evil Wilford and it turns out that the one that Melanie killed was the good one

I had a blast with this show but I thought it was kind of ridiculous in the finale where they see this other train and everybody just assumes that the guy they were all ready to execute Melanie for her admission that she murdered is on it

Also seriously gently caress Ruth I hope when she goes down it’s more satisfying than watching her riding a stray train car to her frozen death

cheese sandwich fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 16, 2020

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Honestly kinda bummed because I was looking forward to Post-Revolution Train Politics and having Wilson Ex Machina is suitably comic booky but disappointing.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

It's impossible for me to like Ruth because I hated that actress's character in The Americans lol

e: and I hate Ruth in Ozark because of Kimmie... The Americans really hosed me up

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I hope it turns out there's a Mr Wilford and a Mr Wilson and just no one's noticed this whole time.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Because they can use their money to influence people, which isn't really the case when you're on a magic train speeding through a world of ice.

Money isn't real. It's basically just a codified form of influence which the first class on the train also have.

The entire point of Snowpiercer is that you think the stratified society on the train is horrific, arbitrary, unsustainable and nonsensical, and then realise this is also true of the real society, in reality.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Snowpiercer: 1,001 We Live In A Societys long.

(Not dunking on you, just too tasty to miss.)

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013
Whichever goon told me to skip 4 and go to 5, and watch from there if I wasnt enjoying the sort of janky "wannabe-prestige" atmosphere of the show, you were 100% correct, the final 4 episodes are incredible.

oh but seriously I posted:

side effects of not-yet-perfected cryostasis?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Crusty Nutsack posted:

It's impossible for me to like Ruth because I hated that actress's character in The Americans lol

e: and I hate Ruth in Ozark because of Kimmie... The Americans really hosed me up

I mean I don't really think you are supposed to like Ruth.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

RYYSZLA posted:

Whichever goon told me to skip 4 and go to 5, and watch from there if I wasnt enjoying the sort of janky "wannabe-prestige" atmosphere of the show, you were 100% correct, the final 4 episodes are incredible.

side effects of not-yet-perfected cryostasis?
Woah, nobody told you to skip any episodes though!

... Well I guess if you really hated the first three then yeah... the fourth is pretty useless...

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Money isn't real. It's basically just a codified form of influence which the first class on the train also have.

That's the point though, the first class people don't have any influence because their money doesn't mean anything anymore. In the real world, they influenced other people by offering to give them some of their money. On the train, money is worthless and the first class people have nothing to give anyone, all they have is a receipt saying someone else was given money at some point in the past. I can't see a society like that lasting more than a few months after the workers and the jackboots realize there's no reason to bust their asses working for these people anymore.

I know what you mean, but it just rings a bit false to me. The favors that a real world billionaire can grant go far above anything that the first class passengers can do; the only thing they have to offer is the promise of the existing, mostly-stable social order, and the fear that comes with upsetting that.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

DaveKap posted:

Woah, nobody told you to skip any episodes though!

... Well I guess if you really hated the first three then yeah... the fourth is pretty useless...

That's my fault. I told him to see number 5, thinking he had seen 4 already and was about to stop. It worked out fortunately.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
I can't believe Ruth was Martha on the Americans. It was bugging me for so long, and I just couldn't figure it out. Always check IMDB, I guess.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

One Nut Wonder posted:

I can't believe Ruth was Martha on the Americans. It was bugging me for so long, and I just couldn't figure it out. Always check IMDB, I guess.
Except don't always because then you'll be spoiled on season 2 of Snowpiercer and create incorrect expectations of the finale of season 1.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

At the end of finale when melanie is walking towards the back of the train shouldn't she be going forward? I would've though wilford if he's on train 2 would be in the engine of that train.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuN8ErZGJgw

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

This is back tomorrow isn't it? I'm pretty excited

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I'm really hyped for this. The show was a solid 8/10 for me and there's not much else coming out soon, I'm so ready for Sean Bean not dying

Edit: Reminding myself of things by reading some of the thread and...

ilmucche posted:

And it took only 5ish years for people to treat Wilford like a literal deity, it's bonkers and I'm surprised more people even in first and second haven't gone mad.
...this show is slightly prophetic.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 25, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Never finished the first season, but last I heard they didn't finish filming this season either. Nice to know that the show and I are in the same boat.

I really liked the pilot, and wanted to like a lot of the following episodes, but it lost me almost immediately. Persisted for a bit, but ho hum, you know how it is.

Hoping this second season will be better!

Edit: oh, get in, they finished filming Season 2 back in December.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 25, 2021

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

I really liked the pilot, and wanted to like a lot of the following episodes, but it lost me almost immediately.
Yeah it doesn't really hit its stride until halfway through. But once it hits that stride, boy what a stride it is.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ilmucche posted:

This is back tomorrow isn't it? I'm pretty excited

Definitely along for the hype train

or trains, now

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well, good first season episode, although I'm not sure if they should have had Wilford getting punked so easily right off the bat.While I like the idea of an engineer owning the rich guy whey built the train for, I feel like it makes him less believable as a threat. Still though, Big Alice seems interesting what with all the apparent mad science and everyone being crazier then even Snowpiercers apparently. Also, drat Layton does not gently caress around, invasion attempt right off the bat murdering like a dozen people. Would have been a good strategy if they did not have Strong Boy on Steroids.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 26, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show continues to be surprisingly good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
New episode! New theme arrangement!

Strange to change the focus of the show to a cold war / border crossing metaphor,

I've seen a lot of plots where a character has to fight for the soul of her lost child, but I think this is the only one that opens with that child attempting genocide.

Guess they've still got some sort of plan for Annalise Basso's character.

They've very, very quickly reconfiguring Ruth as a more heroic figure. Probably because Alison Wright is loving awesome, and probably the show's most interesting performance.

They dropped Susan Park's character from the credits, and added Steven Ogg. Wonder if the loss of half of their queer couple will have them reconfigure their romantic pairings a bit; hook up that queer brakeman with the kidnapped conductor, or something.

Always happy to see Karen Konoval getting work.

DaveKap posted:

Yeah it doesn't really hit its stride until halfway through. But once it hits that stride, boy what a stride it is.

Okay I binged the rest of Season One you were absolutely right. I really enjoyed that. Some reservations, and I wish the show wouldn't trend towards melodramatic plots, but it's pretty good overall. Love the set design too.