Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Griftlands came out on Steam recently, it's really good so far-

It's a deckbuilding roguelite but beyond that it's an actual RPG - you play as a grifter traveling around a sci-fi world, having conversations and doing quests. What makes it special is the way the deckbuilding gameplay comes in; you have two decks - a battle deck and a negotiation deck. You often have to make choices about improving one over the other and each one allows you to solve quests differently. Some quests may not have a negotiation option and force battles or vice versa. There are also opposing factions and you manage reputation between both. Maybe the battle-focused faction needs a negotiator to take care of something, so you do a little grifting work for them and they reward you with upgrades to your battle deck.

It has everything you'd expect from the genre like relics, upgrading cards (which happens in this game from cards gaining experience as you use them) but it comes with a procedurally generated story, much more dynamic characters, NPCs that have their own agendas and are persistent throughout the run, etc.

It's still in EA I think? But it's by Klei who has a track record of actually finishing their games (Don't Starve, Oxygen not Included, etc)

There's a lot of interaction between different events. I ran into a guard for the Admiralty who was trying to arrest a civilian laborer and asked me to do it for him, I told him to gently caress off and ended up fighting the guard and winning. The civilian laborer remembered that and a few days later when I was trying to negotiate my way out of getting jumped by some people who hated me in a bar, that same civilian laborer happened to be in the same bar and joined the argument on my side, where he tore into the opponent's side-arguments (basically Creatures) and let me focus on their core argument (Life). Some people surrender when you're about to beat them in a fight and you can execute them or let them go and they come back in big ways later on. It's all just so intertwined and fun to explore :shrug:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Daedalus1134 posted:

Hardspace: Shipbreaker just started early access on Steam for 20 bucks (25 after July 7th). You work as a shipyard scrapper for a megacorp, doing your best to cut apart ships and pay off your billion credit debt.

This sounds like it should be the sequel to Subnautica.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

deep dish peat moss posted:

Griftlands came out on Steam recently, it's really good so far-

It's a deckbuilding roguelite but beyond that it's an actual RPG - you play as a grifter traveling around a sci-fi world, having conversations and doing quests. What makes it special is the way the deckbuilding gameplay comes in; you have two decks - a battle deck and a negotiation deck. You often have to make choices about improving one over the other and each one allows you to solve quests differently. Some quests may not have a negotiation option and force battles or vice versa. There are also opposing factions and you manage reputation between both. Maybe the battle-focused faction needs a negotiator to take care of something, so you do a little grifting work for them and they reward you with upgrades to your battle deck.

It has everything you'd expect from the genre like relics, upgrading cards (which happens in this game from cards gaining experience as you use them) but it comes with a procedurally generated story, much more dynamic characters, NPCs that have their own agendas and are persistent throughout the run, etc.

It's still in EA I think? But it's by Klei who has a track record of actually finishing their games (Don't Starve, Oxygen not Included, etc)

There's a lot of interaction between different events. I ran into a guard for the Admiralty who was trying to arrest a civilian laborer and asked me to do it for him, I told him to gently caress off and ended up fighting the guard and winning. The civilian laborer remembered that and a few days later when I was trying to negotiate my way out of getting jumped by some people who hated me in a bar, that same civilian laborer happened to be in the same bar and joined the argument on my side, where he tore into the opponent's side-arguments (basically Creatures) and let me focus on their core argument (Life). Some people surrender when you're about to beat them in a fight and you can execute them or let them go and they come back in big ways later on. It's all just so intertwined and fun to explore :shrug:

I really enjoyed the run with the first character and will probably check out the brawl mode.

I'm not sure I'm feeling the second character's gameplay but I want to because the story seems cool!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I really enjoyed the run with the first character and will probably check out the brawl mode.

I'm not sure I'm feeling the second character's gameplay but I want to because the story seems cool!

is there progression (upgrades, unlocked cards, etc) that persist across runs? or do you start 100% fresh each run?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's like Slay the Spire or whatever in that regard - when your run ends your score is tallied up and turned into experience, and when you gain levels as a character you unlock more cards for their deck in future runs and probably more artifacts and things too. You also get to choose one thing from a random selection of your current cards/friends/etc to bring with you into the next run

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 24, 2020

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

for some reason, Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom is an actually relaxing and well made 3D platformer.

If you can still bear Spongebob and enjoy 3D platformers, this might be worth a look. It's rather easy since you really can't lose anything but I prefer that over joyless unnecessary frustrating sections in all the other games that have a visual design for kids but a gameplay loop for masochists.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Is Elden: Path of the Forgotten going to be really disappointing, or only somewhat?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ShaneB posted:

Is Elden: Path of the Forgotten going to be really disappointing, or only somewhat?

Knowing nothing else about the game I would definitely choose between really disappointing and only somewhat depending on whether the name was revealed before or after the reveal of fromsoft’s “elden ring”.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
I may actually just make a thread about it, but if you haven't checked it out and like strategy RPGs, please give Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia a shot.

If you played the original Brigandine: The Legend of Forsena back in the 90s, this is a re-imagining of it. It isn't a remake, but it's an entirely new game that is basically a love letter to that game.

It's currently Switch-only, but there is a demo available as well.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Nephrite posted:

I may actually just make a thread about it, but if you haven't checked it out and like strategy RPGs, please give Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia a shot.

If you played the original Brigandine: The Legend of Forsena back in the 90s, this is a re-imagining of it. It isn't a remake, but it's an entirely new game that is basically a love letter to that game.

Holy crap, I knew there was one other person who had played Brigandine!

I'll be queuing up this demo for some play soon~~

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Nephrite posted:

no one wearing a single dang brigandine in those screen shots. smh...

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Roobanguy posted:

no one wearing a single dang brigandine in those screen shots. smh...

Look it's the ~idea~ of a Brigandine that's important here, ok???

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Superliminal A.K.A. "That game you probably saw .gifs of on reddit." was released today. It was pretty fun! There were a couple of headache inducing moments but overall it was a pretty neat experience.

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

Superliminal A.K.A. "That game you probably saw .gifs of on reddit." was released today. It was pretty fun! There were a couple of headache inducing moments but overall it was a pretty neat experience.

Did you finish it quickly?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

GeneticWeapon posted:

it's like a 1-2 hour game

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I saw a video of a playthrough on youtube and that was about it for me. Unlike games like portal the whole perspective based mechanics just seem like a gimmick to wrap the story around and aren't really used for many puzzles.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I don’t like it when a game has the prefix super but isn’t for the snes

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

El_Elegante posted:

I don’t like it when a game has the prefix super but isn’t for the snes

Yeah, gently caress Super Mario Bros.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

We couldve had Ultra Mario Bros....

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

GeneticWeapon posted:

My wife and I finished it in one evening. We took our time exploring and attempting to find easter eggs, but I think overall we finished it in 3 hours.

Tombot posted:

I saw a video of a playthrough on youtube and that was about it for me. Unlike games like portal the whole perspective based mechanics just seem like a gimmick to wrap the story around and aren't really used for many puzzles.

I think this is pretty valid. The first couple of puzzles boil down to "make object big", and when you start to get a taste for other types of puzzles, you realize you're done with that type of puzzle and have already moved on to the next one. There was also way too many rooms where it seemed like you could do something with some combination of items - but we weren't able to get any possible solutions working.

I enjoyed the ones where you needed to adjust the sizes/positions of doorways to make yourself big/small in the room you wanted to go in. Puzzles with item propagation were pretty cool, too. It would have been awesome to see some more puzzles that combined concepts, though!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Maybe there'll be DLC.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I was really stoned last night and itching to play a decent skateboarding game and I wound up buying Session which is a little janky but a really cool skateboarding sim and I wasted maybe 4 hours just ragdolling the character trying to land basic grinds to ennio morricone tracks and it was a great time.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This game called ARIA CHRONICLE just released and it's basically a JRPG mashed up with Darkest Dungeon. I'm not very far (working on the second dungeon) but it's a tough game with lots of character classes, permadeath, DD's run/curio/manor system and I've skipped every story segment so far so I can't comment on that but the core gameplay loop seems fun, I've been having fun exploring the different classes, the the loot isn't mind-blowing (numerical stat upgrades basically) but it's a lot deeper than DD's upgrade system.

Warning: It's anime. But none of the character designs seem sexualized so far. One of your two main characters is a paladin woman in a giant suit of armor :shrug: All of the female classes except for one ("Charmer", like a dancer type) are even fully clothed neck-to-toe! Two of them have their arms exposed but one is an old ripped grandma

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 15, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
warning: here's a bunch of specific examples that are awesome. buyer beware!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The only part that was a warning was that it's anime, the rest was a defense on why it's not the bad kind of anime.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, going by the Steam screenies, it really isn't the bad kind of anime. The monster designs are neat. At fifteen euros, I'm wishlisting that for next month.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ooblets...

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

deep dish peat moss posted:

This game called ARIA CHRONICLE just released and it's basically a JRPG mashed up with Darkest Dungeon. I'm not very far (working on the second dungeon) but it's a tough game with lots of character classes, permadeath, DD's run/curio/manor system and I've skipped every story segment so far so I can't comment on that but the core gameplay loop seems fun, I've been having fun exploring the different classes, the the loot isn't mind-blowing (numerical stat upgrades basically) but it's a lot deeper than DD's upgrade system.

Warning: It's anime. But none of the character designs seem sexualized so far. One of your two main characters is a paladin woman in a giant suit of armor :shrug: All of the female classes except for one ("Charmer", like a dancer type) are even fully clothed neck-to-toe! Two of them have their arms exposed but one is an old ripped grandma

Does it have english audio or just subtitles? The gameplay looks fun.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Just subtitles. I've played a fair amount more - the interface is kind of bad and reminiscent of a mobile game (to move between rooms you have to click+hold on a button for a couple seconds) It definitely has the JRPG aspect of grinding allowing you to ignore difficulty. Steam reviews say it's 30-40 hours long and gets repetitive near the end. The translation is also pretty rough around the edges, but I think that gives it a certain charm.

I'm enjoying it, if you get enjoyment out of the gameplay loop of JRPGs it's fun and worth $15 imo but it's definitely not an evolution of Darkest Dungeon, more like a lower budget alternative spin on it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ooblets...

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
For people who enjoy platformer roguelikes with fun items that synergize well and a general neon esthetic, I can recommend Neon Abyss that just launched on steam. I've been enjoying the crap out of it! It's also on gamepass I've heard, but I don't have that so I can't confirm.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Nah I don't want to support devs like that.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Morpheus posted:

Nah I don't want to support devs like that.

Making gamers so mad by pointing out that there are way more important and worthwhile causes to be invested in than Epic store exclusivity that they go out and make a bunch of fake screenshots and invent slurs to try and get you cancelled is really the coolest kind of dev you can be.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

gamers getting apocalyptically mad instead of just waiting until its on steam is dumb but also their announcement was dumb and egs sucks so ill just wait

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Stux posted:

gamers getting apocalyptically mad instead of just waiting until its on steam is dumb but also their announcement was dumb and egs sucks so ill just wait

Yeah it's not the exclusivity that bugged me (whatever, devs need money and I won't fault them for that, it's Epic that's the problem), it's the way they communicated it to their fanbase that irked me. Decided it wasn't worth giving them money.

Edit: Shoot this isn't the thread for this, sorry.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Ooblets is really fun so far, my kids are loving it. Picking it up with a 10e discount with a coupon from getting gtav for free is extra nice.

I wasn't aware of any controversy, and a cursory google just turns up gamergaty fake outrage nonsense so whatever.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I never heard of the game but now I want to give them money just because of the announcement.

It's not even "bad" it's just putting entitled consumers in their place in a very reasonable and professional manner. Here it is for anyone else curious about the full thing:
https://ooblets.com/2019/07/we-did-the-thing/

Just part of it quoted here:

quote:

I can understand the frustration of having to buy different consoles to play the games you want, but there’s no extra cost to use EGS. The store and launcher just require a free signup. It’s not like having to pay for HBO and Netflix and Hulu to watch all the shows you want, it’s more like just having to press a button on your remote to change between free TV channels.

It’s also really disappointing to see folks threatening to pirate a game just because they can’t get it on the game launcher they’re used to. Feeling like you’re owed the product of other people’s work on your terms or else you’ll steal it is the epitome of that word “entitlement” that people use to discuss immature, toxic gamers.

I get the appeal of wanting to seek out things to get angry about. Venting anger is cathartic and natural, but let’s have just a little perspective about what we decide to get angry about. Look at the things going on around you and ask yourself if there might be anything just a tad more worthwhile to be upset about.

Here are just a few suggestions:

Climate change
Human rights abuses
The new Twitter desktop UI
The last season of Game of Thrones
(Those last two were jokes, please don’t yell at people about them)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

u can be upset about important stuff and also not want to use a bunch of different launchers on your pc, thats all. indie devs should get on the epic pay train cos it def costs epic way more than they make off of it but im not going to use egs and you should just take the money and not act like its some moral act or whatever its weird.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There's nothing more annoying than the type of pretentious gently caress who messes something up and then has the nerve to tell people "there are children starving in Africa and you're complaining about this?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/690040/SUPERHOT_MIND_CONTROL_DELETE/

SUPERHOT 2 IS OUT