Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Dr.D-O posted:

I got DS as a gift from a family member, so I feel like I need to play it, but I'm really worried it's going to be a complete snooze-fest based on its reputation.

I've really enjoyed most of Kojima's game, excluding MGS V which I found to be very boring after Quiet's introduction. This seems like it's him back to doing weird interesting poo poo, but I also keep hearing that it's super boring.

It's an exciting type of boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Someone out there is scoffing at how bad death stranding is while plugging into the latest assassins creed

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I feel like the core gameplay is entertaining in a way that Shipbreaker is entertaining.

But I also think if you run full speed in a straight line every delivery you won't like this game.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

queeb posted:

if you're into the gameplay its totally engrossing but its also literally walking packages around and some sneaking from invisible ghosts. they always introduce something new as soon as it starts to wear though. its paced really well.

Are there boss fights?

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

queeb posted:

if you're into the gameplay its totally engrossing but its also literally walking packages around and some sneaking from invisible ghosts. they always introduce something new as soon as it starts to wear though. its paced really well.

That's really good to hear.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Look Sir Droids posted:

Are there boss fights?

there are as many boss fights as you want there to be

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I feel like the core gameplay is entertaining in a way that Shipbreaker is entertaining.

But I also think if you run full speed in a straight line every delivery you won't like this game.

Oh boy, this actually sounds like it's really up my alley now.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

FAUXTON posted:

there are as many boss fights as you want there to be
That's false because the number is not possibly 0 or 1.

I'm being harsh, I didn't mind them in general and triggered the extras for fun sometimes even but the end boss is such a sour note for the whole game I reflex want to erase all of them.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zedprime posted:

I'm being harsh, I didn't mind them in general and triggered the extras for fun sometimes even but the end boss is such a sour note for the whole game I reflex want to erase all of them.

kojima bosses are the cutscenes

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

zedprime posted:

I'm tempted to just play the game on super easy casual mode because everything I hear suggests the combat/videogamey challenge part of the game isn't what's good about it. So I'd rather the boss fights just be interactive cutscenes that aren't going to hold me up.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
A few years ago a friend of mine moved away because a university job he was promised suddenly wasn’t there when he finished his PhD, so he had to look for work elsewhere. I visited him some time after and in the meantime he had gotten really into hiking. He was showing me around his place and we got to his hiking equipment and he went “oh, let me show you my bed!” He pulls out this bizarre inflatable grid, all full of holes.

I go “Alan, what the gently caress is that.” He says “well, think about it. The parts of your body that you need to support for healthy sleep are the base of your skull, your shoulders, and your spine - and nothing else really matters. You need to save as much weight as you can.” And then he explains to me that hiking is a hobby where you need to save down to the lowest possible ounce, because you’re going to be stuck out there for days. It’s all in the planning, and then a long slow execution you can’t back down from and have to adapt to. Because if you hosed up something planning your expedition, you’re stuck with it until you get home or you die.

Death Stranding is a game about that. And then you get vehicles, and it basically becomes a passive multiplayer version of Euro Truck Simulator.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well GeForce now had to patch some stuff, but it’s running now and Jesus I didn’t think the game could look even better, but it’s just stunning.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
So when I have stuff like metal and resins is recycling the only option? I’m at the third place and I had some but couldn’t deliver them, and then my said I didn’t have access to a chiral printer despite the dude talking about having one

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

https://twitter.com/Berduu/status/1283481152074985478

Seriously this game looks so good. I'm so glad it got a PC release.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
Why did reviewers hate this game?

Its just insanely awesome even if it feels really easy even on very hard.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lol i just unlocked the truck and took a tour around the 2nd area and delivered probably 50 lost packages just going from one end to the other. euro truck sim it is

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Tormented posted:

Why did reviewers hate this game?

Its just insanely awesome even if it feels really easy even on very hard.

I think a couple of things probably really affected reviews:

1. Rushing through the game to get a review out as soon as the game launched. This game really encourages you to take your time and try new things. I went back after finishing the game and watched several people play the game and talk about it at release and all of them were making what I would consider "rookie mistakes" while navigating the world. Watching them play I got the impression that they rushed through and didn't really try to learn how to not wobble all over or be efficient. Tim Rogers had a ton of crazy long videos about the game and one of the things he said was that "learning to play the game IS the game" and that's very true of this game.

2. Expectations of something like Metal Gear and not post apocalyptic delivery simulator. I think this is a hard game to sell to people. I rented it thinking I would be bored by it and that I'd not play through it but then about 5-6 hours in I realized I was really enjoying the delivery management aspects of the game and played it for another hundred hours. I told several friends about it but mentioned that I bet this game is really boring to watch but very satisfying to play if it clicks with you. I think it's pretty difficult to showcase the satisfying thinking that is going on in the player's head while navigating a snowy mountain with a bunch of crap on their back. On the flipside, watching someone navigate the Tanker in MGS2 is immediately engaging and you can more clearly see the decisions being made and how they play out.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
So do I have to take materials from hubs to build things with my PCC? I just unlocked the bridge and it requires 800 metal, do I need to carry that metal with me or will the bridge be built as long as I’m in the network of an area with those resources?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jolo posted:

I think it's pretty difficult to showcase the satisfying thinking that is going on in the player's head while navigating a snowy mountain with a bunch of crap on their back. On the flipside, watching someone navigate the Tanker in MGS2 is immediately engaging and you can more clearly see the decisions being made and how they play out.

This is a good point. Every footstep can be important sometimes but to watch a good player without knowing the mechanics of the game it will just look like them going from point A to B like in any other game. And to watch a bad player could make the game look like unfun bullshit (I suppose it could make Sam look drunk which might be fun, though).

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Jolo posted:

1. Rushing through the game to get a review out as soon as the game launched. This game really encourages you to take your time and try new things. I went back after finishing the game and watched several people play the game and talk about it at release and all of them were making what I would consider "rookie mistakes" while navigating the world. Watching them play I got the impression that they rushed through and didn't really try to learn how to not wobble all over or be efficient. Tim Rogers had a ton of crazy long videos about the game and one of the things he said was that "learning to play the game IS the game" and that's very true of this game.

2. Expectations of something like Metal Gear and not post apocalyptic delivery simulator. I think this is a hard game to sell to people. I rented it thinking I would be bored by it and that I'd not play through it but then about 5-6 hours in I realized I was really enjoying the delivery management aspects of the game and played it for another hundred hours. I told several friends about it but mentioned that I bet this game is really boring to watch but very satisfying to play if it clicks with you. I think it's pretty difficult to showcase the satisfying thinking that is going on in the player's head while navigating a snowy mountain with a bunch of crap on their back. On the flipside, watching someone navigate the Tanker in MGS2 is immediately engaging and you can more clearly see the decisions being made and how they play out.

Plus it can be really annoying to maneuver Sam at the beginning of the game. You stumble on the smallest pebbles, get bogged down by small loads... You get tools to make traversing much easier later on, but I wouldn't be surprised if people played the first hour or so and said fuckit.

Plus it's not a game that can easily summed up in a quick blurb. Package delivery simulator is close, but sounds boring as hell and doesn't really do the gameplay justice (though it's technically correct.)

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm tempted to just play the game on super easy casual mode because everything I hear suggests the combat/videogamey challenge part of the game isn't what's good about it. So I'd rather the boss fights just be interactive cutscenes that aren't going to hold me up.

Just set the game on easy. The boss fights are no problem then.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Frog Act posted:

So do I have to take materials from hubs to build things with my PCC? I just unlocked the bridge and it requires 800 metal, do I need to carry that metal with me or will the bridge be built as long as I’m in the network of an area with those resources?

Materials need to be brought to any structure you want to build.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Frog Act posted:

You have to bring the material there. You can also get material laying around the environment in lost boxes or raid camps for it.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Hm, so things like bridges are probably going to be a bit out of my building wheelhouse for now since all I have is a backpack and my legs? Guess I need to figure out how to get a battery for this bike

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I'm playing with a controller but every time I open a menu the mouse cursor appears in the middle of the screen, and it doesn't disappear even when the menu closes. I have to reach over and move my mouse to get it offscreen. Anyone else have this issue?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Frog Act posted:

Hm, so things like bridges are probably going to be a bit out of my building wheelhouse for now since all I have is a backpack and my legs? Guess I need to figure out how to get a battery for this bike

If you build a generator next to the bike it will be charged. You can then leave the generator there for the future or dismantle it but you don't get materials back for dismantling.

800 Metal isn't too heavy but as you level up you get more carrying capacity to make it easier. Also, the way in which the materials are broken down into different container sizes matters. The same amount of materials (or very similar amounts) can be done as a combination of S, M, L, and XL containers which can be carried on different parts of Sam's body to better manage weight distribution.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Frog Act posted:

You don’t have to give it all the required materials in one shot, you can bring them over a few boxes at a time and feed them to the builder until it’s complete. But yes, some of the costly items will be annoying to build early on, and roads are always a multi tripper.

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

Jolo posted:

Watching them play I got the impression that they rushed through and didn't really try to learn how to not wobble all over or be efficient.

this point in particular is what really turned me against a whole bunch of reviewers & other youtubers; hearing someone complain about how Sam is difficult to control and falls over all the time makes the game sound dreadful, then you see the footage recorded for their review & they're always overloaded with cargo, attempt to sprint everywhere, and don't even try to correct their balance

or try to ride motorcycles up sheer cliffs like it's skyrim

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The Dunkey review was infuriating, complaining about how “you just fall over at random” while he’s trying to port a skyscraper of cargo up a sheer cliff face or driving a motorcycle through jagged rocks and being stunned when he gets stuck.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The jagged rocks are a good example because they're an enemy that counters trikes, but gamers can't conteptualize mechanics that don't relate to violence, so traversal is automatically seen as an obstacle, downtime between the game parts of the game. They'd prefer if you were dying over and over to bullets instead, with the same frequency. It's all surface-level

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Pirate Jet posted:

The Dunkey review was infuriating, complaining about how “you just fall over at random” while he’s trying to port a skyscraper of cargo up a sheer cliff face or driving a motorcycle through jagged rocks and being stunned when he gets stuck.

He was 100% exaggerating for comedic effect. If anyone looked at that review and said "yes, this is how they intend for you to play the game" then their opinion isn't worth taking into account.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
just start playing this on PC. i'm at the third act and it loving owns. Kojima is the greatest.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The PC version adds new functional items, I assumed it would all be cosmetic stuff :monocle:

I got the gravity gloves from HL:Alyx which let you scoop up items from a distance.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
How much does it matter when I play this? If I wait for a sale, am I missing out on a lot of player interaction if the population's down?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

How much does it matter when I play this? If I wait for a sale, am I missing out on a lot of player interaction if the population's down?

Stuff sticks around a long time. You can wait. I played the ps4 version last month and it was packed with stuff.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Look Sir Droids posted:

if you can handle combat in MGS you will be just fine in DS

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Any tips on dealing with MULEs? I never know what to do other than pack a fully-loaded bola gun which I almost always wind up using all of, and I can never get the timing on the counter-scan jam... thingy right.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You only need to knock one down and then you take their boxes and just smash them into the heads of the others, liberating more box ammo.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pirate Jet posted:

Any tips on dealing with MULEs? I never know what to do other than pack a fully-loaded bola gun which I almost always wind up using all of, and I can never get the timing on the counter-scan jam... thingy right.

The timing on that is tough, it's not just you. There's a Film Director who can provide something that helps you out for avoiding encounters entirely.

For combat it's good to know how to take them down without guns or other weapons. As the MULEs get better tech that will get trickier but early on you can melee a lot of them without too much interruption. If there are any destroyed or low-value packages you have or see lying around, swinging those will take MULEs down fast. And you can make use of the slow-mo when you KO them to grab another package out of mid-air and keep fighting. The parry timing when using the strand is also pretty generous so that's always an option. And don't forget about your shoulder charge, which breaks an enemy's guard.

Camps often have other Bola guns around somewhere so you can use those to save ammo on your main gun or if you run out.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Hold some cargo in your hand, swing with X, and let go of that hand's trigger as you do, and just fuckin hurl boxes of metal at those cargo-stealing addicts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Pirate Jet posted:

Equip your bungee cord strand. Hold L2 to hold it out like a bad rear end. When you see them swing, mash R2. When you get behind them mash R2 some more.

Or sneak up on them and mash R2.

You can also ram them with L2/R2 and another button or dodge like Neo with L2/R2 X.

If they are annoying ramming with a truck is also effective. Just be careful!

ghostinmyshell fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 16, 2020