Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Well that robot revolution was pretty intense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Your sectors will never be the same.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I miss my administrative offices.

I did love my Titan one-shotting the robot battleships though. That was awesome.

DoctorTristan fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 16, 2020

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Trade is a fine mechanic, its just that gateways completely broke it + it was never extended for inter-empire trade.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Trade is a fine mechanic, its just that gateways completely broke it + it was never extended for inter-empire trade.

I kinda wish inter-empire trade was the only trade mechanic that existed, creating possibilities for trade blockades and embargoes and stuff like that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The only thing I know about trade is that my robot gestalt consciousness didn't get the idea and after I started invading the galaxy a few billion robots turned into space pirates once I captured stations with trade buildings for reasons I never totally got but also it didn't do anything except the one time it spawned a fleet of three pirate corvettes that instantly got owned.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
After playing Stellaris modded for basically the entire time I've owned it, I went ahead and tried out a vanilla run on ironman.

And I can see now why people are so down on the game. The AI, even on grand admiral, doesn't really understand how to play the game. Sector AI is pretty garbage and has to be constantly babysat (why on earth does it love commerce buildings so much? clerks aren't a good job!). The enigmatic fortress was completely broken and triggered its event every few days without any opportunity for me to actually board it. I stopped having anything to actually do with my influence; I've built 4 ecumenopoli, and they are giving me a good 2k alloys per month. I'm working on all of the megastructures, but they take forever and fifteen years to finish, and I can only build three of them at a time when my alloy income would basically be allowing me to spam ringworlds out at an absurd rate.

There's also a dumb bug with synth/cybernetic ascension where setting your pops to be assimilated sets your cyborgs or synths to be assimilated as well, giving them the lovely living standard associated with that. You have to reset all species default rights to something else, which then means that new species have to be manually set to assimilate lest it force your main pops to leave the good living standards you have them set at normally.

Resettling pops is a pain in the rear end, and while the "Greater than Ourselves" edict is fantastic and does a good job of moving pops around, that should be a vanilla feature from day 1, not a loving tier 3 galactic community resolution that 90% of AI empires oppose because gently caress the player for being tired of micromanaging their pops.

I'm basically just waiting around for the endgame crisis to fire after curbstomping an awoken fallen empire. I'm also letting my AI ally get devoured by a machine uprising because they brought that upon themselves. I also may have herded the fallen empire's fleets into their territory to speed up the process.

But yeah, at this point the only empires even remotely competitive on tech are my federation members because they are leeching off of the free and more powerful research agreements we have. Most empires are doing very little, if anything, and a few have decided that habitats make fantastic ornaments for planets, but should never be settled under any circumstances.

In short, I'm going back to mods after this playthrough. Stuff like Guilli's planet modifiers just adds more life to the galaxy instead of every planet being a boring carbon-copy. Gigastructures give you something to actually do with your alloys/influence and makes megastructures interesting and completable before the heat death of the universe. Automatic pop migration automates away the tedium of moving pops around, and the improved AI mods make the AI marginally less idiotic.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Use the console to trigger the crisis instead of waiting for it

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Gort posted:

Use the console to trigger the crisis instead of waiting for it

He's on ironman.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I think there's a way to un-ironman a save.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Gort posted:

I think there's a way to un-ironman a save.

Pretty sure it's easy to edit the save, IIRC there's just a ironman = yes in there that you need to change. (Rename the .sav to .zip, extract the archive, make the change with the text editor of your choice, recompress and rename to .sav).

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I just want to thank you for this.

E: Assholes who say "ecumenopolises" probably also think the plural of "tovarish" is "tovarishes" to which: :jerkbag:.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 17, 2020

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I guess I’ve got to the end of the tech tree now - every option is ‘more damage XII’ or ‘leaders live longer XX’. I take it there’s not much left to do other than sit tight and wait for the crisis to arrive?

There’s a serious lack of content at this point (what I get for playing on easy I suppose). Seriously considering taking on one of the old empires or just going around cracking everyone’s homeworlds just to amuse myself.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Schadenboner posted:

I just want to thank you for this.

E: Assholes who say "ecumenopolises" probably also think the plural of "tovarish" is "tovarishes" to which: :jerkbag:.

It's greek, the correct plural is ecumenopoleis. If you apply the English rules, ecumenopolises is the next closest to right plural. Ecumenopoli is simply wrong.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 17, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

PittTheElder posted:

It's greek, the correct plural is ecumenopoleis. If you apply the English rules, ecumenopolises is the next closest to right plural. Ecumenopoli is simply wrong.

Things ending in "i" sound cooler. Overruled.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

it's a world-city

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Hello Stellaris thread.

I like this game. I typically treat it as a role-playing game more than a strategy game though.

In my most recent game I tested the colossus for the first time and it is both hilarious and evil. It doesn’t seem to let you queue multiple planet crack orders in a row tho which is lame.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

Things ending in "i" sound cooler. Overruled.

The "eis" ending is even rarer and thus cooler. :colbert:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

RBA Starblade posted:

The only thing I know about trade is that my robot gestalt consciousness didn't get the idea and after I started invading the galaxy a few billion robots turned into space pirates once I captured stations with trade buildings for reasons I never totally got but also it didn't do anything except the one time it spawned a fleet of three pirate corvettes that instantly got owned.

That wasn't anything to do with you generating trade, it's because someone else's trade route was running through your space (probably because you invaded the route between the homeworld and another of their planets).

DoctorTristan posted:

I guess I’ve got to the end of the tech tree now - every option is ‘more damage XII’ or ‘leaders live longer XX’. I take it there’s not much left to do other than sit tight and wait for the crisis to arrive?

There’s a serious lack of content at this point (what I get for playing on easy I suppose). Seriously considering taking on one of the old empires or just going around cracking everyone’s homeworlds just to amuse myself.

By the end game, the content is generally supposed to be the war parts. Go kick over some anthills!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

The "eis" ending is even rarer and thus cooler. :colbert:

Its this

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
It's ecumenopodes checkmate bitcheis

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Splicer posted:

Habitats should 100% be in the game and be available to everyone, but it's on the designers to sit down and think "What is the mechanical goal of habitats" and then make sure they're good at that. They haven't done that first bit, which is why habitats are so weird and annoying.

Like, if I were thinking what habitats were for I'd go:

Late-game one of the big struggles is where to put excess population. So I'd decide that Habitats are somewhere to put late-game population. Since they're somewhere to put, not generate, population they should have reduced innate growth rate and a high innate immigration rate. Or maybe no innate immigration rate and let the player control the immigration/emigration through decisions on the overcrowded planets and the underpopulated habitats. This also limits the runaway benefits of habitats since there's a dependency on your existing planets to fill them.

Another late-game problem is the map gets a bit stagnant. You've already found and been everywhere. Habitats could be for creating a third wave of colonisation, shaking up the map by causing people to recategorise what counts as a good system. So I'd be looking at making planets that are relatively uninteresting early game, but have huge unlocked potential when you stick a habitat on them. We could also do that on a system level, but since one of my secret goals is to reduce habitat spam it would need to be something that isn't benefited by stacking habitats. Maybe having a habitat in a system improves mining returns, turning a good system into an even better one? That allows overlap with the first category, so you can get organically emerging amazing Habitat slots. Maybe some buildings you can only build on a habitat orbiting a neutron star or a black hole? Maybe having a habitat in a system makes building megastructures or working terraforming candidates easier?

Since we've now made how good a habitat is very variable we can soft-lock the amount of habitats at galaxy generation by making building a habitat in a "bad" spot rarely worth it. This gives me some levers to adjust the mid- and end-game experience (number of viable habitat slots per galaxy). It also gives us a starting point for balancing how much a habitat should cost: Cheap enough that building it in a good spot is well worth it, but costly enough that spamming them is not.

I'm not saying the above is The One True Way To Make Habitats Good, but it's something I reached by thinking about what Habitats /could/ be for, and I ended up with something fairly coherent with a lot of potential. I don't think the designers have done that, unless infinite fortress spam was an actual design goal, in which case, ew.

this was how i used habitats in my bespoke modded configuration before tiles went away and it was good, though i also liked building lots of them in really big systems. all it needed was for the AI to do it too (like every mechanic)

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I want you to witness the destruction that years of pluralisation pedantry over latin + greek words has wrought on our society. Just look at it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Personally I use habitats to replace mining platforms and science platforms over non-moon/sun objects because the habitat will output more of those resources than the platform will.

I usually play robot tho. :D

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Staltran posted:

Pretty sure it's easy to edit the save, IIRC there's just a ironman = yes in there that you need to change. (Rename the .sav to .zip, extract the archive, make the change with the text editor of your choice, recompress and rename to .sav).

It is. There’s like one configuration point that has to be done correctly, but that’s it.

See https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Save-game_editing

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fhqwhgads posted:

It's ecumenopodes checkmate bitcheis

:aaaaa:

I revise my previous statements.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

Personally I use habitats to replace mining platforms and science platforms over non-moon/sun objects because the habitat will output more of those resources than the platform will.

I usually play robot tho. :D

Yeah, habitats are there if you want to expand but your neighbours are too strong to attack now, and you don't have the tech for megastructures yet. Normally once you have a megastructure or two there's no such thing as a neighbour who's too strong to attack.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

There’s no path to ring worlds or Dyson Spheres other than the ascension perk, is there? Likewise does psionics always need two ascension perks to fully unlock?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

DoctorTristan posted:

There’s no path to ring worlds or Dyson Spheres other than the ascension perk, is there? Likewise does psionics always need two ascension perks to fully unlock?

Yeah. As a result my ascension perks are pretty much the same every game:

Tech Ascendancy
Ecumenopolises
Robo/Bio/Psychic Ascension Perk 1
Robo/Bio/Psychic Ascension Perk 2
Master Builders
Galactic Wonders
Defender of the Galaxy

plus Voidborne or something but I'm not really married to that one

Gort fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 17, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I just use a mod that adds like 18 tradition paths and like 30 perk slots.

IMO it's loving stupid to lock some of the coolest poo poo behind artificially scarce slot choices.

E: These two:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1311725711
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1333526620
With the Planetary Diversity patch:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1660102639

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 17, 2020

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
The whole ascendancy perk system feels very outdated and in need of a refresh imo.

Like they looked at Civ 5 traditions/ideology and were like yeah but then haven’t touched it since.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
There are systems that could be integrated better, like traditions and perks with government mechanics. I'm thinking about this mod here as an example of the kind of thing that could be done: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=804732593

When it comes to perks, what this mod does is make it so that certain perk + ethic/authority/civic combinations unlock thematic and mechanically relevant things. Some of them are kinda wonky but I appreciate how it make some of the more boring perks (though boring is different from useless) more fun and interesting by adding on something relevant to your government.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

I just use a mod that adds like 18 tradition paths and like 30 perk slots.

IMO it's loving stupid to lock some of the coolest poo poo behind artificially scarce slot choices.

E: These two:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1311725711
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1333526620
With the Planetary Diversity patch:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1660102639

:nws: interesting mod there... :nws:

do you prefer the lust bringer perk or energy whore, yourself?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Strumpie posted:

:nws: interesting mod there... :nws:

do you prefer the lust bringer perk or energy whore, yourself?

Stack with Black Market Droids for cumulative happiness bonus!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

DoctorTristan posted:

Not to build them, but you can find them (or get the cybrex path, or get the origin)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Realpost though: I think Traditions+ is like 80% of the way there, it makes choices matter a little bit more?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lightning Knight posted:

The whole ascendancy perk system feels very outdated and in need of a refresh imo.

Like they looked at Civ 5 traditions/ideology and were like yeah but then haven’t touched it since.
I find it hilarious and irritating that they ripped the traditions tree from Civ 5 rather than the infinitely better one from BE

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Not to build them, but you can find them (or get the cybrex path, or get the origin)
The kludge they did to mesh "You can only have one" and "you can repair as many as you like" is also extremely hilarious.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 17, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Splicer posted:

I find it hilarious and irritating that they ripped the traditions tree from Civ 5 rather than the infinitely better one from BE

Goddamn, the price for Beyond Earth never. loving. drops.

I'd pay like :10bux: for it and Rising Tide but not 6x:10bux:.

It should have been so good, too.

:(

E: Maybe they won't discount until they've recouped costs or something (meaning it'll be there for a long, long goddamn time because no one should pay that much for that little game)?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 17, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

I mean it is not a good game, in a certain sense you are better off this way.

Just go grab Alpha Centauri and play that instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Schadenboner posted:

I'd pay like :10bux: for it and Rising Tide but not 6x:10bux:.

It should have been so good, too.

:(

E: Maybe they won't discount until they've recouped costs or something (meaning it'll be there for a long, long goddamn time because no one should pay that much for that little game)?

It and Rising Tide combined were like $17.50 USD during the Summer Sale.