Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Seasons greetings.

This here is a thread for the future cult classic strategy mouse clicking game, Dingletopia: Nation Under Siege (by Orcs). It is a videogame for your PC computer machine that you can download from the Steam service. It costs nothing but your time, and there is a statistical chance you could find it slightly enjoyable. While this is a complete, fully functional game, it also acts as a vehicle to deliver jokes. Unfortunately the humor found within is in bad taste, unfunny, and lame. If for some reason you are familiar with the Phucker series of games on Steam then you will recognize that the jokes are very similar but in a fantasy setting.

Steam page / Download link

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1286140/Dingletopia_Nation_Under_Siege_by_Orcs/

Premise

You take control of Dingle Dorfen, the newly elected dwarven king in the lands of Terra-Gaia, who is out for some orc blood after they killed the previous king (your pappy, King Dingle the First) in a mysterious duel to the death, and kidnapped your loyal compatriot Forlorn Gumpel. You start off with only a handful of forces that are no match for the Orc Menace, but through diplomacy, bribery and coercion you will be able to expand your influence throughout the region and gain new allies. As your influence grows, so too does your resources, and you will be able to build up your armies, develop new technology, search for treasures and ultimately destroy the orcs.

Gameplay

You click buttons with your mouse to perform a wide variety of actions, and you and the orcs take turns in trying to one up each other until one side is eradicated off the land. It all boils down to three basic components: governing the dwarven alliance, developing new technology and battling the orcs.

Governing the dwarven alliance involves trying to expand your influence over Terra-Gaia, trying to keep your allies morale maxed out and making though moral choices when sudden events demand it from you while at the same time batting away orc marauders trying to hassle you. Developing new technology boils down to accumulating enough resources to purchase new upgrades for your troops, scouting the lands you own for treasures and gaining access to new units as you make new allies. Lastly, battling the orcs is simplicity itself. Two armies encounter each other on the battlefield and duke it out. Your influence over these battles is limited to the troop composition of the army you built and the various gadgets you can use to destruct the orcs.

The goal of the game is to destroy three orc strongholds that are spread out across the world, get your revenge and to rescue Forlorn Gumpel.

I think that about covers it. Here's a glimpse of the epic 8-bit nostalgia childhood memory retro graphics, and a blurry video to seal the deal.

Piccies

Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTMdpuGdpo0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
semper games

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
If they told me this was a lost DOS game I would have believed them. Also, that is one hell of a back-catalogue.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

i like free

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It's a mapgame too? You got me you bastards

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i was enjoying this but then a newly allied dwarf kingdom came to me for help with a bunch of missing children and so instead of helping i released an "i'm very concerned video" that was so bad it immediately made them revolt and crashed the game simultaneously

quote:

of Step Event0
for object oGameMaster:

Pop :: Execution Error - Variable Index [0,-1] out of range [1,11] - -5.unitAvailable(100418,-1)
at gml_Script_UnitMap
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Script_UnitMap (line -1)
gml_Script_Turn
gml_Object_oGameMaster_Step_0

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Communist Thoughts posted:

i was enjoying this but then a newly allied dwarf kingdom came to me for help with a bunch of missing children and so instead of helping i released an "i'm very concerned video" that was so bad it immediately made them revolt and crashed the game simultaneously

I believe this was fixed like 5 minutes ago, there should be an update for it now. Might need to relaunch Steam.

If it says v.1.05 on the title screen then it's all good.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Gortarius posted:

I believe this was fixed like 5 minutes ago, there should be an update for it now. Might need to relaunch Steam.

If it says v.1.05 on the title screen then it's all good.

thank you

using my newfound insight this time i simply found the children instead

E:

Ah! Well,

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 16, 2020

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
love it. can't wait for the mount and blade crossover after it makes y'all famous.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
It would be pretty rad to have some sort of army automation in the game. doling out troops per province per turn gets kinda cumbersome later on.

Aside from that though, this game is pretty great. Here's hoping that it grows into a dominions-like in the future!

Tiny Turtle
May 2, 2008

Hi, buddies!
When I was attacking the second orc city and found out that the special troops return at 100% force instantly, I gave up. Having to get the right combination of dudes up there is just such a grinding chore. Given how small the world is, the amount of grinding chore micro is absolutely wack.

That being said, up until that point, I really enjoyed it! Simple and fun and funny and neat. I ended up with five tattoos of a handsome marquiss on my left butt cheek.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
It certainly gets grindy towards the end. I will have to sit on the ideas guy chair to solve this one.

With that said, if you are able to find the Dragoon Armor or Malarkey Conundrum, or you save up enough money for the Triskelion Ocarina or whatever it's called, the second cave will be substantially easier. Brew tossers are also largely useless since they can't damage the scientists. There's one lovely hint about this if you keep diplomacying Dingletopia, and we only put that stuff in as a caveman solution to 100x unupgraded brew tossers winning with a 100% rate against the second cave. Might have to revisit that for a more sophisticated solution.

Finding the Gorn of Hondor will make troop deployment a lot more tolerable.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I didn't find any relics (don't even know where to look) and poured and entire games worth of dwarfs into the final orc castle, probably 600 or so in waves but they all got obliterated by those ranged ogres.

The orcs in general seem like their unit comp would be much more fun to play with

Having said that, I like it.
Comedy mapgame is basically tailor made for me, for people reading its basically 2 faction dominions 5 but streamlined down to basically reading funny diplomacy dialogue in between troop recruitment and movement.

I would like some kind of diplomacy "story" culmination though. Courting S'ebastian was hilarious but there wasn't any payoff as far as I can tell.
Maybe new diplomatic scenes after you ally them in, these might exist already but as far as I could tell there's no reason to diplomacy after you're allied.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Communist Thoughts posted:

I didn't find any relics (don't even know where to look) and poured and entire games worth of dwarfs into the final orc castle, probably 600 or so in waves but they all got obliterated by those ranged ogres.

The orcs in general seem like their unit comp would be much more fun to play with

Having said that, I like it.
Comedy mapgame is basically tailor made for me, for people reading its basically 2 faction dominions 5 but streamlined down to basically reading funny diplomacy dialogue in between troop recruitment and movement.

I would like some kind of diplomacy "story" culmination though. Courting S'ebastian was hilarious but there wasn't any payoff as far as I can tell.
Maybe new diplomatic scenes after you ally them in, these might exist already but as far as I could tell there's no reason to diplomacy after you're allied.

Basically any nation you own you can search, and each nation besides the two final orc ones have a unique blue text treasure and a pool of some 30+ generic treasures. If you "max out" the searching circles so that they are slightly off the edges of a nation and not too close to each other you can, for example, find the treasure in Dingletopia in 6 or so turns, whereas in Heartland it could take as long as 15 turns.

For the final orc cave, you would greatly benefit from not getting any dragoons and going with a healthy flicker and tosser composition with either noahs or zombie dmurfs as meatshields. Having Triskelion ghosts is essential, and you could also get lucky with lightning rod where it takes out a couple of the blue ogres. Blood Flute will also greatly help. Dorfen Cannon is not very effective against the "boss" encounters but if you have nothing else left you might as well.

From feedback so far I think there needs to be more positive diplomacies and events because it can be very difficult to get to 5 morale in Froopland for example. Volunteer assignment automation is probably a good idea.

The elves are a risky nation to capture because all of their events are horrible for you, and diplomacies are less than ideal but you can get a war item from them. It's basically there only for getting an extra resources per turn. The story culminations will come.... in Dingletopia: Hell on Earth.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gortarius posted:

Gorn of Hondor

This made me legit lol.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Gortarius posted:

Basically any nation you own you can search, and each nation besides the two final orc ones have a unique blue text treasure and a pool of some 30+ generic treasures. If you "max out" the searching circles so that they are slightly off the edges of a nation and not too close to each other you can, for example, find the treasure in Dingletopia in 6 or so turns, whereas in Heartland it could take as long as 15 turns.

For the final orc cave, you would greatly benefit from not getting any dragoons and going with a healthy flicker and tosser composition with either noahs or zombie dmurfs as meatshields. Having Triskelion ghosts is essential, and you could also get lucky with lightning rod where it takes out a couple of the blue ogres. Blood Flute will also greatly help. Dorfen Cannon is not very effective against the "boss" encounters but if you have nothing else left you might as well.

From feedback so far I think there needs to be more positive diplomacies and events because it can be very difficult to get to 5 morale in Froopland for example. Volunteer assignment automation is probably a good idea.

The elves are a risky nation to capture because all of their events are horrible for you, and diplomacies are less than ideal but you can get a war item from them. It's basically there only for getting an extra resources per turn. The story culminations will come.... in Dingletopia: Hell on Earth.

Man okay I missed all of this. I thought the fuckers and noahs were the only dwarf units

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
I wish I wasn't so garbage at strategy games(thinking I can conquer some orcs with 30 men), it was fun before I died a couple months in.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

This game is surprisingly Actually Good so far? Its got the right combination of dorky jokes and Actually Fun Gameplay, im enjoying this a lot! The battles are really charming. It was nice to just get tossed into the game and figuring things out as you go, not having a tutorial was a bit scary for the first few rounds but the game is intuitive and clear enough that figuring things out on my own was just plain fun. There are some really dumb loving jokes in this poo poo and im still chuckling at ”FCKR” being short for Flicker.

Wasnt happy with my first round after getting halfway, too many damaged nations, so ended up restarting. Its not Civ but there are some kinda tough tactical decisions going on. But gotta agree the troop movement microing is getting a bit tedious. Need to move troops from bottom of map past the chokepoint of the first castle into the top of the map while not dropping too much defense in any nation (because that seems to trigger an attack), im enjoying the tactical thinking but theres a lot of repetitive clicking every round.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 17, 2020

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
The game reminds me of Castles from the early 90's.

game good

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

This has been a pretty fun mapgame, but that 3rd cave is brutal. I just lost my second army of 100. First time I leaned hard on rifles, with cannon and summon horn artifacts. The second time I threw 70 dragoons at them, since they were shredding me with artillery... but apparently the artillery is also super melee.

Apparently there's some kind of other dwarf unit I haven't unlocked yet? I have guns, noahs, dragoons, the purple melee dorfs. No idea how to unlock "tossers", I have every nation but the elves, who the orcs burned down.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

avoraciopoctules posted:

This has been a pretty fun mapgame, but that 3rd cave is brutal. I just lost my second army of 100. First time I leaned hard on rifles, with cannon and summon horn artifacts. The second time I threw 70 dragoons at them, since they were shredding me with artillery... but apparently the artillery is also super melee.

Apparently there's some kind of other dwarf unit I haven't unlocked yet? I have guns, noahs, dragoons, the purple melee dorfs. No idea how to unlock "tossers", I have every nation but the elves, who the orcs burned down.

You should have unlocked them from Neverglades or Froopland. I forget which. Sounds like a bug................

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
is the game canon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Gortarius posted:

You should have unlocked them from Neverglades or Froopland. I forget which. Sounds like a bug................

I can at least confirm that it is possible to win without. I went 70-80% on the purple melee dorfs, with a sprinkling of other types to absorb some fire. Since they get a 2nd life as zombies, I was juuuuust able to scrape out a victory with a couple dorfs left after lucking out using my cannon artifact and timing the buff artifact very carefully.

Thanks, this game was pretty legit!