Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

graph posted:

i went into work the past two days, not to my office but to the datacenter for a big install

it was really good

back to being stuck at home now

New hardware day is better than christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Methanar posted:

New hardware day is better than christmas

five hundred gr

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
as noc jockeys know the most important part of an install is arts & crafts

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

graph posted:

as noc jockeys know the most important part of an install is arts & crafts
noc if u jock

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

noc jock jams

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

graph posted:

five hundred gr

what's the most expensive oopsy you've seen with your own eyes

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i mean in what sense

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

graph posted:

i mean in what sense
outside of mirrors

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
robot nocs

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Everyone's gonna come back to campus and no amount of plexiglass is gonna help keep people safe. It's gonna be a disaster

That being said, I'm probably gonna be able to work from home for the rest of the year if my director can help it

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

PIZZA.BAT posted:

if you want to see the worst one, turn off your monitor

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
my boss told me he was gonna have a return to the office plan for me like a month ago but he’s not shown me one yet so I don’t bring it up lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my company keeps sending surveys out with stuff like "when do u wanna return to the office" and apparently nobody wants to return since now the september return date is looking to be pushed back even further :toot:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

we don't robot-ize it, but we pre-build all our datacenter racks now and ship them assembled to the DC. DC guy forklifts it to our cage, plugs in 208v or whatever and four fiber runs, hits the switch and they're done.

we naturally request the best forklift operator on site because uh i dont wanna do the math on how much a rack with 32 servers each with 40 2TB SSDs costs

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

my company keeps sending surveys out with stuff like "when do u wanna return to the office" and apparently nobody wants to return since now the september return date is looking to be pushed back even further :toot:

:same:

im gonna push it as far back as possible

then gonna keep trying to work from home

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

PIZZA.BAT posted:

losing a rack of gear to an improperly secured floor tiles pales in comparison to racks of obsolete/failed erp system bought by executive dysfunction

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

same, we had a company wide poll and like 90% of people want to keep working from home in general so they're going to just make it policy to allow it long term

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

wfh has saved me at least $5,000 in childcare alone this year and i am very glad for it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

wfh has saved me at least $5,000 in childcare alone this year and i am very glad for it

lol, $8k here, with another $4k expected

but then with schools being weird Mrs fool might be quitting her job which will reduce our income by 40%

so gently caress me i guess

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Its only saved me lunch and beer money really. Ive probably lost 20 pounds since moving to wfh and getting a much better job though, which has been nice.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i am at work and my wife is off work (in events) waiting for a call back to the job. she could get it on essentially as little notice as they prefer to give. so we have saved sweet gently caress all on daycare as we can’t lose my kid’s spot in the meantime.

but don’t worry: we still have to prepare all the kid’s foods due to covid regs, still pay full price, and it absolutely does not make my life any easier or better in any measurable way

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

ok i'ma pitch a concept here:

you know those tape robots? the big gantry ones that grab a tape and slap it into a drive and stuff?

you know those old-timey switchboards where operators would make a call by taking a cable and plugging it into the right slot?

Combine those two concepts and you've got your robot noc.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
isn't that basically what relays were invented to do, minus the big robot arm part?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you'd need really close alignment of the rack units and good calibration.

also half the work of spinning up a rack is tidying the cables up. not sure a robot could do as good a job there yet

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

look, I'm the idea guy, ok? Just make it happen, Poindexters.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i know.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

this is a "can-do" organization. feel free to slam the door on your way out

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

haveblue posted:

isn't that basically what relays were invented to do, minus the big robot arm part?

do you want to see a little box making clicking noises or do you want to see big robot arms whoosing around open palm slamming XLR connectors into a huge patch panel?

i mean COME ON, just TRY to be a team player here

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i will only support this endeavour if the robots are programmed to attempt to plug in every usb connector backwards first

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

qirex posted:

one of my friends was complaining that her home internet was down and I got insanely jealous

a coworker couldnt connect all yesterday and i had the same feeling

meanwhile mine went down one evening and came back 5 minutes before my first meeting <:mad:>

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im not linking it because ppl are hateful against anime here, but in the upcoming eva film there's a plugging-in-usb-the-wrong-way clip and i squealed when i saw it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jonny 290 posted:

i will only support this endeavour if the robots are programmed to attempt to plug in every usb connector backwards first

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

graph posted:

i mean in what sense

PCjr sidecar posted:

losing a rack of gear to an improperly secured floor tiles pales in comparison to racks of obsolete/failed erp system bought by executive dysfunction

this

Jonny 290 posted:

we don't robot-ize it, but we pre-build all our datacenter racks now and ship them assembled to the DC

thats the way to do it but we cant afford a full one

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

i just don't think that therapy is going to be sufficient for me to find happiness again (and i won't do psych meds). Only time and hard work will get me out of this one.

(a) the user that mentioned that the goal is not just 'increasing happiness' (which a good long term end-goal still) is correct. i have a stated list of goals and it helps to be reminded of the tangible aspects of it.
(b) i completely get the resistance to meds. in my case, very long-term stress has literally caused neurological changes for which medication helps, and i specifically try to stay on the lowest dosages possible- i don't actually take antidepressants, but the stuff i'm on almost instantly got me to a point where i actually have more energy in the day to give a drat (because, like you, i also have a hard time looking at the world and believing it ever could get better at this point). it's there to be used appropriately for a situation, ideally to get your brain back on track enough that you don't need meds anymore. like antibiotics: you take it when you need it until you don't (under medical supervision with as many factors as possible accounted for).

also it is completely underrated what simple breath meditation will do (no woo, just purely breathing and trying to really feel it- it's surprising, but you start to realize that you have some control over 'settling down' that our entire culture has more or less made sure we never figure out).

booze does, like, the opposite so i should probably stop drinking, but during 2020? as jeff briges said, "i picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rotor posted:

ok i'ma pitch a concept here:

you know those tape robots? the big gantry ones that grab a tape and slap it into a drive and stuff?

you know those old-timey switchboards where operators would make a call by taking a cable and plugging it into the right slot?

Combine those two concepts and you've got your robot noc.

where da ciaphas at

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

psiox posted:

(a) the user that mentioned that the goal is not just 'increasing happiness' (which a good long term end-goal still) is correct. i have a stated list of goals and it helps to be reminded of the tangible aspects of it.
(b) i completely get the resistance to meds. in my case, very long-term stress has literally caused neurological changes for which medication helps, and i specifically try to stay on the lowest dosages possible- i don't actually take antidepressants, but the stuff i'm on almost instantly got me to a point where i actually have more energy in the day to give a drat (because, like you, i also have a hard time looking at the world and believing it ever could get better at this point). it's there to be used appropriately for a situation, ideally to get your brain back on track enough that you don't need meds anymore. like antibiotics: you take it when you need it until you don't (under medical supervision with as many factors as possible accounted for).

also it is completely underrated what simple breath meditation will do (no woo, just purely breathing and trying to really feel it- it's surprising, but you start to realize that you have some control over 'settling down' that our entire culture has more or less made sure we never figure out).

booze does, like, the opposite so i should probably stop drinking, but during 2020? as jeff briges said, "i picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue"

i appreciate the post, for real. I find it difficult to set any goals beyond "own a house again so I'm not in constant fear of rules lawyering and eviction" but the only thing that will make that happen is me continuing to make more than I spend every month and putting that back. relationships and other normal person things are off the table, i'm just not good at them and at my age it's just kind of silly. who knows, maybe the world will perk up a bit next year and i can have a reason to live but until then it's just taking care of the cat and putting money in the bank.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think you should get more cats. just so many cats

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
get cats and post them

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I think you should get more dogs. just so many dogs

take up mushing