Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

There's nothing more annoying than the type of pretentious gently caress who messes something up and then has the nerve to tell people "there are children starving in Africa and you're complaining about this?"

The thing they "messed up" is taking an exclusivity deal on a free launcher. Noooooo!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The obnoxiousness of the anti EGS side is pretty much the best marketing Epic can ask for.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

some people just dont want to use a bunch of different launchers and epic have real bad security. v pro indies taking the epic deal cos its just free money for them and then ill buy it through itchio if they have the option once exclusivity ends but u dont have to act like the very loud angry gross people are the only ones who dont want to use it and lump everyone else in w them.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I'm not a big fan of a bunch of different launchers, but assuming that quote is the whole story, it makes me a big fan of the Ooblets devs.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its extremely patronizing and dumps anyone who doesnt want to use egs in with bigots it sucks. framing anyone who thinks its bad a giant company like epic is buying up exclusives as being a "Gamer™" is dumb just take the money, indie devs deserve to take a pay day just do it dont make out like people who will just wait are the same as the weirdos who will get mad and yell slurs.

Stux fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 16, 2020

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Stux posted:

its extremely patronizing and dumps anyone who doesnt want to use egs in with bigots it sucks. framing anyone who thinks its bad a giant company like epic is buying up exclusives as being a "Gamer™" is dumb just take the money, indie devs deserve to take a pay day just do it dont make out like people who will just wait are the same as the weirdos who will get mad and yell slurs.

So you want them to include a caveat of "not all gamers" in their response to the mob of weirdos screaming at them?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Stux posted:

Yeah, this is correct and good.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Comrayn posted:

So you want them to include a caveat of "not all gamers" in their response to the mob of weirdos screaming at them?

you can just not make the statement and say youre going exclusive like everyone else has done, its fine. most people understand why indie devs are 100% going to take the deal everytime and are fine with it. putting out a statement like that wont make the loud mad people not get loud and mad and it wont make the people who are happy with you taking a payday but who will wait not wait. ill still buy the game once its elsewhere cos it looks fun, if they put it on itch where they can set themselves a super generous cut ill buy it there so they get their epic payout and more money from my purchase on top of that. im not a bigot bcos i dont want to install a launcher.

edit: it wasnt a response that was just their announcement, then the weirdo mob started screaming at them. they were going to do that however they worded that announcement though, and its not their fault they got yelled at by gross people.

Stux fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 16, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm just kind of pissed at the way they co-opt climate change and human rights violations to defend themselves from criticism about where they published their video game, because way to be a self-important rear end about it.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

i mean, that dev announcement kind of sucked, but
https://medium.com/@perplamps/regarding-whats-been-happening-3af0f27d863c

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Beyond a Steel Sky came out today. I've been thinking about giving it a shot just because it's cyberpunk, but apparently it has quite a pedigree. It's the sequel to a 90s point and click adventure game called Beneath a Steel Sky, and it's made by guy that did all the Broken Sword games.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Gamers in 2005: How dare you say that gamers are violent, I'm going to threaten to kill you!

Gamers in 2019: How dare you say that gamers are entitled, I'm going to threaten to kill you!

Donnerberg posted:

Beyond a Steel Sky came out today. I've been thinking about giving it a shot just because it's cyberpunk, but apparently it has quite a pedigree. It's the sequel to a 90s point and click adventure game called Beneath a Steel Sky, and it's made by guy that did all the Broken Sword games.

Beneath a Steel Sky also had artwork by Dave Gibbons of Watchmen game, it's been freeware for two decades so anyone old enough to have grown up.with Home of the Underdogs has a lot of affection for it.

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 16, 2020

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Personally I feel that people getting angry and sending extremely offensive personal messages that insult the person, their family, and spamming them with racial slurs, just because they don't want to use the person's service/product for purely personal reasons, is far worse than telling those people that there are things that are actually important that they could productively direct their emotion into.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Yeah, no that's entirely lovely. Gamers are the loving worst. I just didn't want to buy the game and would wait until there was a hefty sale for it, people threatening others because they were condescending (even if the tone wasn't intended) are trash people. gently caress. Sorry I derailed this thread.

In lighter news I completely forgot I got SUPERHOT, so now there's a new shiny game waiting for me in Steam, nice.

Donnerberg posted:

Oh wow. I have vague memories of Beneath a Steel Sky, mostly of starting out in a small-ish room, having no idea what was going on, and pretty much dying repeatedly for an hour before getting annoyed and giving up (I was an impatient child)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

Personally I feel that people getting angry and sending extremely offensive personal messages that insult the person, their family, and spamming them with racial slurs, just because you don't want to use their service/product for personal reasons, is far worse than telling those people that there are things that are actually important that they could productively direct their emotion into.

god gently caress off, this is so gross to take the stuff they had to deal with and then use it as a cludgel in a discussion to make out like people are saying it isnt worse, especially when ive said multiple times the garbage they got sent was awful. disgusting behavior on your part.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you're interested in continuing to debate this feel free to PM me or post a thread for it :shrug: Maybe you can help me come around to understanding why this level of vitriol is necessary or warranted.

Sorry for also conributing to the derail! Play some fresh games y'all.

Edit: vvv I mean the vitriol you're displaying here, not what their customers said.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

no one said it was, youre being loving gross. stop it.

^^ this vitriol is at you, for being a shithead. i wasnt being vitriolic before at all, if you think me saying "i dont want to use egs but im going to buy the game on itch when its out of exclusitivity cos it looks fun and they deserve to get paid" is vitriol idk what to say

Stux fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 16, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just wanted to post an ooblet...

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

jesus christ stux, shut the gently caress up already

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just wanted to post an ooblet...

It was a good ooblet Charlie, thank you for sharing.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Stux posted:

god gently caress off, this is so gross to take the stuff they had to deal with and then use it as a cludgel in a discussion to make out like people are saying it isnt worse, especially when ive said multiple times the garbage they got sent was awful. disgusting behavior on your part.

Me when I have to click the Epic launcher

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

trying to say they got all that hate for posting that message sucks as well btw. those loud abusive guys were going to be loud and abusive no matter how they announced it, it isnt their fault that they got that response. them not posting in that manner wouldnt have somehow made it so they didnt get attacked by a group of bigots who look for literally any excuse to be hateful and its not cool to make out like it wouldve changed that.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Ya know, I've got all my games on steam. Do I get annoyed or bummed when they come out on EGS? Sure. But I don't really care because at the end of the day I can either wait patiently for release on steam like a goddamned adult or I'll just have a single extra icon on my desktop.

Also, we can be upset about multiple things, but some perspective is important.

Also also, holy poo poo, people are talking about the toxic gamers, not people annoyed at installing another platform. If they're not talking about you, they're not talking about you. Though you griped about getting lumped in with angry gamers and then, as a gamer, got really lovely and angry with someone so if the shoe fits....

Also, I had no clue ooblets was a thing and now I'm checking it out.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I really should've just gave a thumbs up to that ooblet and moved on.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah im going to get mad if someone tries to make out like im saying abusive bigoted stuff isnt bad, just a character flaw that ill get mad about that sorry.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Nah I don't want to support devs like that.

You had to know that phrasing it like this was gonna stir up poo poo. I mean, 'devs like that' - oh, those kind of people.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I think EGS exclusives like Ooblets get under gamers' skin so much because as much as they love to call people Karens and crack jokes about people wanting to speak to your manager it genuinely infuriates them that can't threaten the livelihoods of the creators because they've already made so much money off of the exclusivity deal that they could not sell a single unit and come off ahead. No manager to complain to, no bottom line to challenge, just their own impotent fury at a mild inconvenience.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

n00blets

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
The thing that mainly gets me when these kind of back and forths get started between a dev and potential customers is that... electronic entertainment (and to the same degree, streaming media) is a bloated market with no shortage of titles continuously being released everywhere, many of them multiplatform. There's no way there aren't several hundred titles out there on whatever platform or platforms you use that you haven't played yet and would enjoy; you already do not have enough time in the day to enjoy everything already there & unplayed on Steam, GOG, Switch or the Playstation Store, etc. Why entertain emotional attachment to loving Ooblets? It seems like a little kid getting more angry that they can't have everything exactly their way, then it does a legitimate complaint about a company and its distribution choices.

Just move on and comfort yourself with the knowledge that this preponderance of walled markets, all fighting it out for exclusivity, is another step toward the whole approach's collapse. It's a stupid system, but it's a stupid system that thrives on so much choice so as to make exclusivity something not worth worrying about to a person that takes a step back and realizes that the sheer volume of stuff available overall makes exclusivity meaningless, so long as you're willing to let poo poo go and find something to do in the areas you have restricted yourself to.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

New indie games that I have noticed but not bought yet:

Dead Age 2 - early access zombie rpg thing

Phogbound -

quote:

Its a some kind of puzzle strategy game, where you play for a creatures against humans.
The player cannot directly control units, but can choose the direction of attack, the number and type/class of attackers.

Dark Beastiary

quote:

Dark Bestiary is turn-based combat-focused RPG with classless progression system and tons of skills.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

*points at Saxophone’s avatar*

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Just use Playnite, it takes all your launchers, and mushes them together so you can launch any game from any launcher without having too like, go into that individual launcher for that individual game.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Boba Pearl posted:

Just use Playnite, it takes all your launchers, and mushes them together so you can launch any game from any launcher without having too like, go into that individual launcher for that individual game.

The new GoG launcher does this as well, works great

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I'm really enjoying Ooblets so far. It's definitely all-in on that kind of :3: cutecore :3: aesthetic, but I'm not tired of that yet. YMMV. The gameplay will for sure invite comparisons to Animal Crossing, although I think what makes it different is that you're an outsider coming into a prebuilt community with ongoing stories as opposed to building the entire community from scratch. The music is good and the Ooblet dance battles are light enough to be a fun diversion whenever you feel like it.

I think if you like games like A Short Hike or Harvest Moon, you'll enjoy the chill vibes in Ooblets. It's Early Access, so it has a couple performance hiccups every now and again, but nothing gamebreaking for me so far. It seems REALLY fleshed out for Early Access too, so I'm excited to see how it develops.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Similarly, if you're looking to get a pokemon-like fix, but in an online setting, you can check out https://store.steampowered.com/app/745920/Temtem/

Also in Early Access, but I've heard from a couple friends that have played it that it's really good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

mary had a little clam posted:

I'm really enjoying Ooblets so far. It's definitely all-in on that kind of :3: cutecore :3: aesthetic, but I'm not tired of that yet. YMMV. The gameplay will for sure invite comparisons to Animal Crossing, although I think what makes it different is that you're an outsider coming into a prebuilt community with ongoing stories as opposed to building the entire community from scratch. The music is good and the Ooblet dance battles are light enough to be a fun diversion whenever you feel like it.

I think if you like games like A Short Hike or Harvest Moon, you'll enjoy the chill vibes in Ooblets. It's Early Access, so it has a couple performance hiccups every now and again, but nothing gamebreaking for me so far. It seems REALLY fleshed out for Early Access too, so I'm excited to see how it develops.

The thing I'm worried about with it being EA is the risk of resetting progress on the farm/your ooblets when they update at some later point?

I feel more comfortable with EA on shorter/run-based games.

Otherwise so far it feels pretty full-fledged a release except for some missing item descriptions, at least a few hours in

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

10 minutes into Ooblets. It is cute. Very cute. I mean, cuter than Stardew Valley or Pokemon. I'm into it. But if you have a low tolerance for made-up words, you'll hate it. Like, fishing is "sea dangle".

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 17, 2020

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Twee, the word you're looking for is twee.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Arsenic Lupin posted:

10 minutes into Ooblets. It is cute. Very cute. I mean, cuter than Stardew Valley or Pokemon. I'm into it. But if you have a low tolerance for made-up words, you'll hate it. Like, fishing is "sea dangle".

you're telling me ooblets is cuter than this ??

e: sorry that's a mod i think. ooblets is cuter than this ??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Morpheus posted:

Similarly, if you're looking to get a pokemon-like fix, but in an online setting, you can check out https://store.steampowered.com/app/745920/Temtem/

Also in Early Access, but I've heard from a couple friends that have played it that it's really good.

This is a great co-op pokemon game. My wife and I picked it up through this recommendation and we've been having a blast. Battles are pretty quick and fun so far, too!