Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Do you want to help our fledgling planet reach out into the stars and establish a mighty empire? Join me as politicians, shipwrights, engineers, and fuel logisticians as we no doubt send billions to their deaths due to hilarious logistical and strategic oversights in Aurora 4x!

Aurora Wiki posted:

Aurora is a 4X (eXpand, eXplore, eXploit, and eXterminate) science fiction strategy game. Players develop their interstellar empire from the humble beginnings on their homeworld to conquer the universe, or be pummeled into the ashes of history by opposing races.
Some say it has the graphical charm of an income tax assistant software from the late nineties, but a playing depth that more than rivals any commercial 4X game. Aurora is different because it places emphasis on fleet operations and detailed tactical combat.

This hidden gem of a game places you into the leadership of a single planet in an immense randomly generated galaxy. You are given nearly total control over your empire, with incredibly granular detail. You assemble your ships out of components that you also must research and design. You have to assemble these ships into an order of battle, issue standing orders, and develop tactical doctrines suited to what you have designed. The army is even more detailed, with equipment detailed to the individual soldier. Your economy depends on a constant input of what are called "Trans-Newtonian" metals. They are highly advanced metals which you need an ever increasing amount, lest your empire come to a screeching halt. Messing up your logistical management of one of these metals can be disastrous. As we expand to new worlds we will have to bring with us immense amounts of infrastructure to protect our civilians from hostile climates, or we can terraform worlds over decades, alternatively we can let the private sector do this with some inefficiencies. When we meet alien empires we'll have to establish communications, figure out their intent, trade with them, or we can engage them with our fleet. Whatever we do, the important choices will be up to you. I'm not kidding about fuel logistics being important, if you mess it up you've basically lost the game.

Much of the game play itself centers around looking at ugly RADAR style top down readouts of individual sectors as you choose to move the game forwards in anything from 5 second to 30-day increments. In the above image we can see our homeworld, Earth, along with a readout of all the fleets currently positioned at Earth. Also visible to us is the orbital path of Earth and nearby planets, as well as the positions of numerous asteroids. These images give us rudimentary information about the positions of celestial bodies, wormholes, and our fleets, as well as any orders they are undertaking. The deeper aspects of the game can be found in the many pop-up windows.

In these windows we can often find extremely detailed information about our empire, our ships, and the celestial bodies around us. It is also within these windows that we can input all our orders, whether production, research, fleets, or diplomatic. In the above example we can see that the Earth, our sole planet, is currently not undertaking any industrial projects, we will be sure to change this immediately. We can see all the installations we can choose to build, as well as information about our fuel and maintenance logistics.

The shining jewel of this game is ship design, it is also a very complicated process. Ships are in essence groups of components that are encased in armor. The player not only designs ships, but also the components the ships are made from. In order to design components, you first need to research related technology. Once you design a component you must also research it. To further complicate the matter, to produce a ship you need a shipyard large enough to accommodate that ship, and the shipyard must be retooled to produce ships of that class. The result is a noticeable time lag between when you conceive of a ship and when you actually get it produced and operational. That shipyards can only produce one class of ship at a time (though you can produce similar variants) means you need to be very deliberate in your production of ships. Naturally, I’ll be outsourcing this task to goons.

The ship readouts are intimidating, but they can easily be broken down. I’ll do so at the end of this post, and will also try to get into the detail of it when we do our first ship design contest.

How it will work

In this LP I’m going to be playing the latest stable C# updated version of Aurora 4x. This is a game with a reputation for being notoriously impenetrable, visually ugly, and ruthlessly cruel. I will be playing the game as you would find it, without any customized scenarios, and I will try my best to explain the game mechanics as I go. As I am far from an optimal player, I’d encourage those who also know the game to feel free to explain what I’m doing hilariously wrong.
I will be posting updates based mostly on when I need goon input, not on a fixed in game schedule. This is because at time the game is very slow paced, actions like terraforming can take decades, but on the other hand massive fleet actions can resolve in minutes. I want to leave myself flexibility to stop, update, and get goon input when I feel it best serves the LP. I probably will put a hard limit of going no longer than 5 peaceful years without an update though.

How you will participate

At the end of each update I will be putting forward several possible policy choices for you to vote on, whichever option wins I will pursue to the best of my ability. I will also be open to goons putting forward their own options, so long as I can actually implement these plans. I will do my best to lay out these options in accessible terms, free of the in-game acronyms and jargon.
Additionally, I will be asking goon to design ship components, as well as designing the ships these components will go into. These designs will be voted on as well. When designing ships, you can either use pre-existing components, or propose some new ones to be designed before your ship goes into production (this will cause massive delays in production though). Shipwrights whose designs are selected in this process will gain extra influence in the political process. This will take the form of gaining a onetime extra vote to spend in future voting. If you aren’t comfortable with the design process feel free to request, I make something to your specifications, I’ll do my best to design the component or ship as you describe it.

When we vote on something please quote me to help me not miss any votes. If you have won a previous design contest you can gain an extra vote one time by quoting the post in which I declare you the winning design.

You can find the base installation of Aurora here, as well as the 1.11.0 patch which I will be using here. You will need this installed to build ships. When we do a contest I will post the save database from my game. If you play it yourself obviously you will need a separate install to load my game, as you have to delete your own database and paste in mine. It possible you could cut your out and put it back later, but I wouldn't chance it. It's laughable that saves aren't a thing in Aurora, unless I really missed something.

Making good decisions in this game requires an immense amount of information. Below this post I’m going to do my best to maintain a post with accurate up to date information about our empire’s productive capacity and other important data, mostly in the form of screenshots. I will also try to maintain a list of all ship classes active within our fleet. Feel free to ignore it though, good decisions are not required.

You can also request to have one of our officers or staff renamed after you! Just let me know if you want to be a Naval Officer, Ground Officer, Scientist, or Administrator. Note: Most Ground Officer's likely will never see action, and if they do it's likely they are being nuked from orbit.

Feel free to make up names for the star systems we discover in the galaxy. I'll happily rename any system not named by a goon. I dislike how star systems are gives names alphabetically from master lists.

I’ve tried to only include the basics you really need to know on here. I’ll also include the in game glossary below, it might help a little.

As a design note, I'm not going to post large screenshots of menus outside this post as a general rule. It might happen sometimes though, but I'm going to try to keep screenshots to nice small cropped images only showing what is relevant and important. Once this gets going I'll keep a table of contents here as well. I've got all the info on my first update ready, so it should be along quite quickly.

Table of Contents

Update One: One Giant Leap

Update Two: New Worlds and Scientific Blunders

Update Three: Infrastructure, Exercises, and Dead Officials

Let's Build a Spaceship: An Aurora 4x Shipbuilding Tutorial

Update Four: The Slow Buildup

Update Five: Years of Discovery

Update Six: End of an Era

Update Seven: Lost to Translation

Update Eight: Standoff

Update Nine: Growing Uncertainty

Update Ten: Eye of the Storm

Update Eleven: The Great Leap Forward

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Survey Ships

Capital Ships

Fast Attack Craft and Fighters

Civilian Ships

Details on ship classes to come soon!

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 28, 2020

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Earth in 2119

The Moon at 2119

Europa at 2119

Freeshire in 2119, Adrastapol System

Makho's Folly in 2119, Accatran System

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 28, 2020

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Volunteering as a naval officer.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

AJ_Impy posted:

Volunteering as a naval officer.

You're in starting at the rank of Commander. I'll see that you get posted to a ship once we start rolling out the turns.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 16, 2020

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sign me up as a Scientist.

Missile/Kinetic specialty, preferred.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Signing up as an Administrator. I know nothing about this game, but eh.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

The year is 2100, humanity is at peace, unified under the name The Union of Terra. Such an unprecedented state of affairs was triggered by the interception of an extraterrestrial communications starting in 2071. This shocked the world, humanity realized they were not alone, and was uneasy about how little they knew about the galaxy. Only ever partially decoded, these messages revealed the existence of previously thought impossible technology, powered by minerals previously undiscovered deep within planet’s cores. What followed is now know as “The Trans-Newtonian Revolution”, in which the productive forces of humanity increased exponentially, conflicts were resolved, and people began to once more look to the stars. Early exploration with Trans-Newtonian sensors revealed the existence of giant gravitational anomalies in the outer reaches of the solar system. Further study revealed these to be passages to far away systems. Probes were sent though to three systems before conservative forces within the government shut down the exploration program, declaring the possibility of alerting Alien life forms to our existence too risky. Instead resources were funneled into a massive arms build-up, and our space fleet was born. However, there has now been a substantial shift in political power, those preaching caution find themselves on the outside. The voices of those who wish to see the exploration campaign renewed are being heard once more. Who knows where this will lead…

Before we begin in earnest, I’m just going post how I created the galaxy we’ll be operating in, as well as explaining some of the things I altered.

Here are the options you are given upon starting a new game. I’ve left quite a bit in the usual defaults. As we explore, we will be finding randomly generated systems, I have opted not to use the Known Star Systems option because this allows me to cap the number of systems generated. I’m leaving it at 100 for now but can raise it later. I’m disabling orbital motion on asteroids to save some computing time on turns, as tracking the movement of tens of thousands of asteroids across the galaxy slows my computer down a lot. I’ve tossed in two AI empires at game start, though more can emerge. I’ve also given earth a healthy mineral boost to accommodate for the mistakes we will likely make. There is no save scumming here so we need all the help we can get. Getting nuked to pieces five updates in because we hit a resource bottleneck would not be great. Any vet of Aurora will see that I drastically reduced research time, this is how I always play, and so do many others. It slows down the pace of tech to the point where ships don’t need refitting and scrapping extremely quickly and gives everything a more generational feeling. I’ve stabilized all wormholes to remove one aspect of logistics from the game, jump tenders are fun, but they will slow us down a lot. Most of the endgame content is turned off for now to keep things simple.

Let’s move onto race generation

This is us, humanity. I’ve changed some stuff once in game, such as our naming scheme. It’s now just an amalgamation of prominent cultures on Earth. Most of this is defaults, the racial traits like determination and diplomacy don’t matter as we are player controlled. The only thing I changed here is that I gave us 5 extra Labs to ease the early game a bit. Mostly here you can see your tolerances and starting industry. We can still alter most of this, such as flag, hull, station, and the various themes. I picked ones that have large lists to draw from or are strong thematically. All our initial ships have Greek names, but nothing after those should as you will be naming them. UK rank theme is a nicely made series of ranks without bugs. The US ranks theme had issues last time I used it so I stay away now.

So, we can now begin...

This is our home system, Sol, at nearly maximum zoom, along with a close up of the inner system. I’ve hidden asteroids as they are all you can see when visually enabled, they are still all there. Zoomed out we can clearly see some of the gas giants in the outer reaches of the system, as well as the 5 wormholes leading outside our system. They are the orange circles with red boxes around them titled JP#: system name. "Unex" means we have yet to explore them. Thus far humanity has sent probes though to 3 of these star systems. Lets take a second to examine those systems.

Accatran System

This system is accessible though a jump point (JP1) roughly 1.4 billion kilometers from Earth. It contains a single star, around which 12 planets orbit. There are an astounding 70 moons between these planets, as well as 195 asteroids. There are a total of 4 near-habitable planets, which would require minimal infrastructure to set up a colony. One of these even features a non-optimal oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere, which we could terraform with minimal effort into a world that could host humans without infrastructure. We have no mineral or gravitational (wormhole/JP) information on this system at this time.

Adrantis System

This system is accessible though a jump point (JP5) roughly 5.5 billion kilometers from Earth. It contains four stars, around which 11 planets orbit. There are 60 moons between these planets, as well as 259 asteroids. There are a total of 5 near-habitable planets. One of these even features a thin but well mixed oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere, which we could terraform with extremely low effort into a world that could host humans without infrastructure. While this is a large system, these stars are unusually close to each other, the entire system is only 10 billion kilometers wide, with the Sol JP placed very centrally. We have no mineral or gravitational (wormhole/JP) information on this system at this time.

Adrastapol System

This system is accessible though a jump point (JP3) roughly 3 billion kilometers from Earth. It contains two stars, around which 10 planets orbit. There are 26 moons between these planets, as well as 72 asteroids. There are a total of 5 near-habitable planets, as well as a single habitable world that can support humans without infrastructure. The Sol JP is badly located, on the edge of the outer rotating stars orbit, which is the star the habitable world orbits. That star has an orbital diameter of 6 billion kilometers. A badly timed expedition could easily run out of fuel, while a well-timed expedition could get to this world with minimal travel time. We have no mineral or gravitational (wormhole/JP) information on this system at this time.

There remain two unexplored Jump Points in the Sol System, what lies on the other side is a total mystery.

Relevant to this information, and to this update’s decisions. Is that we only possess 3 survey capable craft, we will have to choose carefully where we want to send these vessels.

We currently have two Odysseus class Deep Space Survey Craft, which are brand new vessels that can scan both celestial bodies (which may contain TN metals) and gravitational anomalies (which may contain jump points).

We also have one Trident class Survey Craft, a slightly outdated vessel that was responsible for scanning our home system for TN metals. It can only scan celestial bodies.

Both classes of ship are well suited to long term mission away from Earth for years at a time.

These are our shipyards, currently none of them are tooled to a specific class (the first retooling is instant). None of them are being expanded. Shipyards are either civilian shipyards or military. Civilian shipyards are much larger but cannot produce ships that contain military components. Capacity is the maximum hull size in tons that can be produced by this shipyard. SW is the number of slipways that yard contains, which determines how many ships can be produced, or refit, at once. Without question we ill be expanding all of these, the question will be how aggressively we expand. We are able to both produce ships and expand at once, but cannot retool to a new class while expanding. We can also build new shipyards, which start at either 1k or 10k capacity, whether mil or civ, and with one slipway. These can be made by our industry.

The brains of our empire, the researchers. Here we assign research tasks from the nine categories to scientists. If you match a scientist to their research specialty you get a massive bonus to research speed, 3 times their bonus if memory serves. In general, I’m going to use half our labs to do what I feel we need and turn the rest of our research labs over to you. Due to research being too granular to vote specifically on each tech and lab count, I’ll be looking for what you want prioritized.

Biology/Genetics – Pertains to terraforming tech, as well as tech to alter and enhance our people’s genome. We can make actual genetic super-soldiers with this tech.
Construction/Production – Boring stat increases, completely necessary though, helps us make our industry more efficient.
Defensive Systems – Lets us develop better shields and armor, as well as clocking and heat masking tech.
Energy Weapons – All things lasers, as well as the all important Turret rotation speed. We need this as our point defence guns need to be mounted in turrets to track super fast missiles at competitive speeds.
Ground Combat – Army tech
Logistics – Just that, mostly it’s tech that goes onto ships in support rolls, or is in some way attached to support rolls.
Missiles/Kinetic Weapons – Mass drivers and missiles
Power and Propulsion – Tech for our engines and reactors, we have to stay on this non-stop, as combat speed is vital. If we fall behind here, we will lose almost every battle when our enemy keeps just out of range barraging us with missiles.
Sensors and Control Systems – RADAR and fire control, how we see in battle and how we aim.

So before we start the clock, I need some direction. At the end of each update I’m going to post a docket of items to be voted on, but I will not finalize it right away. I will give time for you guys to propose policy to be voted on. I’ll only put something on if it gets more than a couple people requesting it.

To vote simply quote me and copy the following into your post, removing all options except what you want. To propose an addition simply write it out, if someone seconds it, I’ll consider adding your option. I’ll make a short post if it becomes official.

+++++++++ proposed January 2100 Policy Items +++++++++

Industrial Focus

a. Exo-operation – pursue industrial production that can utilized in off-world mining and colonization efforts. Infrastructure will be mass-produced, mass-drivers made and deployed alongside automated mines. Terraforming tech will be researched, as well as Increased mining capacity.

b. Expand the Fleet – Pour resources into increasing military dockyards and maintenance facilities. Listening posts will also be produced at dispersed in the outer reaches of the solar system.

c. Strengthen Earth’s Industrial Capacity – Earth’s factories will be greatly expanded, as will fuel refineries and ordnance production. Industrial production tech will be pursued.

Primary Colonization Effort

a. The Moon – Close at hand and mineral rich, we should immediately put down a colony. This will be easy to build up due to proximity. It can support a max population of 890 million.

b. Europa – Further out and harsher, it is filled to the brim with highly valuable minerals, as well as containing evidence of a possible alien installation. It can support at maximum population of 726 million.

c. Adrastapol-B III – In another system, this could stretch the limits of our capabilities, and we don’t know what minerals it may have. Yet such a jewel should be seized before others can. It can support a maximum population of 3,925 million.

Exploration Focus

a. Geo-survey Known Systems Our survey vessels will be sent to each discovered system to first survey celestial bodies, and secondarily survey gravitational anomalies.

b. Into the Unknown Our two Odysseus class vessels will enter and then scan, if safe, whatever lies beyond the two unexplored JPs in Sol.

Tech Focus

Write in which area of tech we should focus on, choices are Biology/Genetics, Construction/Production, Defensive Systems, Energy Weapons, Ground Combat, Logistics,
Missiles/Kinetic Weapons, Power and Propulsion,
and Sensors and Control Systems.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 16, 2020

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Arrath posted:

Sign me up as a Scientist.

Missile/Kinetic specialty, preferred.

I got you in.

Cythereal posted:

Signing up as an Administrator. I know nothing about this game, but eh.

You'll have the honor of being Earth's first Governor once I pick one. I won't be appointing that position until after the vote though.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 16, 2020

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
In honor of the only role I managed to fulfill (in a manner one might almost call competent) in SS13 in the 3 seconds one gets before exploding for various reasons, put me in as a Janitor, or whatever you deem closest to that.

Actually I also didn't fail too miserably running the bar, so I suppose if you need a Barman or got something closer in purpose to that then feel free to throw me in there.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Primary research focus should be Power/Propulsion.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Virtual Russian posted:

Industrial Focus

a. Exo-operation

b. Europa – Further out and harsher, it is filled to the brim with highly valuable minerals, as well as containing evidence of a possible alien installation. It can support at maximum population of 726 million.

Exploration Focus

a. Geo-survey Known Systems Our survey vessels will be sent to each discovered system to first survey celestial bodies, and secondarily survey gravitational anomalies.

My votes. No opinion on research.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Virtual Russian posted:

Industrial Focus

b. Expand the Fleet – Pour resources into increasing military dockyards and maintenance facilities. Listening posts will also be produced at dispersed in the outer reaches of the solar system.

Exploration Focus

b. Into the Unknown Our two Odysseus class vessels will enter and then scan, if safe, whatever lies beyond the two unexplored JPs in Sol.

Tech Focus

Sensors and Control Systems.

The separator at the top here is a great way to make it easy to separate the vote options from the rest of the update. I'll admit I haven't followed too many grand strategy style threads like this, but either way it's the first I've seen this. Did you come up with that or did you see it somewhere else? It's such a simple idea too in hindsight, but ya'know, 20/20 and all that.

Anywho, the main thrust of my votes is to get as many eyes and ears into space so that there'll be less sudden surprises in the future hopefully. Also I'm curious about that possible alien structure.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm voting for:

Industrial Focus

a. Exo-operation – pursue industrial production that can utilized in off-world mining and colonization efforts. Infrastructure will be mass-produced, mass-drivers made and deployed alongside automated mines. Terraforming tech will be researched, as well as Increased mining capacity.

Exploration Focus

Tech Focus
Construction/Production,

Lets spread like a plague through the universe, starting with these ruins on Europa!

ProfFrink
Nov 7, 2007

"Stun" may be a bit of a misnomer.
Votes!

Virtual Russian posted:

Industrial Focus

Focus on A, but start expanding the shipyards as well.

a. The Moon rules!

Exploration Focus

Not sure on this one, maybe pop into the unexplored systems, then see which of our neighbors looks the most interesting.

And please sign me up as a defensive systems scientist.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Virtual Russian posted:

Industrial Focus

a. The Moon – Close at hand and mineral rich, we should immediately put down a colony. This will be easy to build up due to proximity. It can support a max population of 890 million.

Exploration Focus

Tech Focus

Biology/Genetics

Logic is: yes, we want off world colonies, but let’s use the Moon as a first step and a way to build experience and functional knowledge.

I’ll be paying close attention to this LP since I don’t feel like I have a great handle on Aurora, but I’d like to. You can put my name down as a Ground Commander, getting nuked from orbit sounds fun enough.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Industrial Focus- Strengthen Earth's Industrial Capacity
Primary Colonisation Effort- the Moon
Exploration Focus- Geosurvey
Research Focus- Construction/Production

A strong economy will serve our people well, and serve as the foundation of strong expansion to the stars later. It is ultimately the prosperity enjoyed by our citizens that will be the measure of the Union's success as a society. To this end, establishing a colony on the Moon that can help supply mineral products as swiftly as possible to our industry would seem to be a valuable enterprise, even as we seek to strengthen our civilian economy.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

In honor of the only role I managed to fulfill (in a manner one might almost call competent) in SS13 in the 3 seconds one gets before exploding for various reasons, put me in as a Janitor, or whatever you deem closest to that.

Actually I also didn't fail too miserably running the bar, so I suppose if you need a Barman or got something closer in purpose to that then feel free to throw me in there.

You're in as a Major in the army, doesn't sound like a janitor, but it basically is. I'll be sure you get posted to the garrison of our first colony.

ProfFrink posted:

Votes!

And please sign me up as a defensive systems scientist.

Got you in

Pirate Radar posted:

Logic is: yes, we want off world colonies, but let’s use the Moon as a first step and a way to build experience and functional knowledge.

I’ll be paying close attention to this LP since I don’t feel like I have a great handle on Aurora, but I’d like to. You can put my name down as a Ground Commander, getting nuked from orbit sounds fun enough.

Got you in as well.

I'll be letting the vote run until at least tomorrow afternoon. In the future I'll have an actual time set, as well as I'll post the save so people can design components if they wish.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Industrial Focus: A

Primary Colonization Effort: B

Exploration Focus: A

Tech Focus: Construction/Production

Also, I'd like to be a spaceship captain if at all possible! Send me into the great unknown so I can be blown up by aliens.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Industrial focus - a. Exo-operation
Primary colonization effort - b. Europa
Exploration - b. Into The Unknown
Tech Focus - Biology/Genetics

What could possibly go wrong with loving with genetics? Nothing, that's what. Also, Europa is just cooler than the moon.

Reporting for duty as a Naval Officer!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Pyroi posted:

Reporting for duty as a Naval Officer!

Aesculus posted:

Industrial Focus: A

Primary Colonization Effort: B

Exploration Focus: A

Tech Focus: Construction/Production

Also, I'd like to be a spaceship captain if at all possible! Send me into the great unknown so I can be blown up by aliens.

Both of you are in starting at the rank of Commander. Aesculus I'll try to remember to assign you a command once I get underway again.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Awesome! :swoon:

Industrial focus - c. Strengthen Earth’s Industrial Capacity
Primary colonization effort - c. Adrastapol-B III
Exploration - a. Geo-survey Known Systems
Tech Focus - Biology/Genetics for terraforming

Please sign me up. I would like to be the administrator of our first extra-solar colony if that's not too specific.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 16, 2020

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Yay, another Aurora LP! Sign me up as a Naval Officer.

My votes:

Industrial Focus:
Exo-Operation

Especially early on in our mission to colonize space, interplanetary logistics and feeding Earth's manufactories is going to be rough. This is made far easier by setting up automated mining installations and mass drivers on mineral-rich bodies in the Sol system, and will help us to ensure that we don't run into an early TN crunch.

Primary Colonization Effort:
The Moon

The Moon is extremely close and has one of the best colony cost modifiers in the Sol system. And if there are minerals there already, it's kindof a no-brainer. Ferrying infrastructure and colonists to the moon is also going to be EXTREMELY fast given its proximity to Earth, and we'll be able to build it up into a self-sustaining (and, more importantly in this version of Aurora, tax-paying) colony in no time. I consider this one to be a very quick win.

Exploration:
Geosurvey Known Systems

What good is our exploration if we don't have the mineral and production wealth to be able to sustain it? Focus on geosurveying known systems for now -- going off into the black too hastily is only going to risk triggering that 30% NPR generation chance every time we enter a new system, and right now we're ill-equipped to handle hostile aliens. Let's establish a safe and prosperous foothold first before venturing too far forth.

Tech Focus:
Power and Propulsion

We need to go fast. And we need high fuel efficiency to conserve that precious Sorium.

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 16, 2020

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Virtual Russian posted:

Industrial Focus

Exploration Focus

I don't know enough to have a preference on tech.

Sign me up as a Naval Officer as well; I want to be one of our swords in the stars.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Sign me up as a Naval Officer, preferably one with a combat task force command.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

A—Exo-operations
A—The Moon
A—Geo-survey Known Systems
Tech Focus—Either Construction/Production OR Power and Propulsion (if you have to pick one, though, go with P&P)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A - Exo-Operations.
B - Europa.
B - Into the Unknown

Tech focus power and propulsion

Our goal is colonizing other star systems, thus resource-rich Europa first for being distant but not too distant. Likewise, remote operations tech is vital. As for into the unknown, two gateways into our heartlands are extraterra incognita: There could be rival species one jump away and we wouldn't know.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 16, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Put me in as the most junior naval officer it's possible to name.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
ABA, Energy Weapons

Also if any survey ships need an officer, I'm game. Throw me into the unknown so I can die horribly. Alternately make me an administrator on the most hostile backwater shithole you can find.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
Love me some Aurora and I want to learn about the new version, definitely following this.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I pledge to keep whatever colony I'm stationed at so clean, hostile aliens will skip over it thinking it's already been glassed.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Dorf me a Scientist, please.

Also, I think we should bravely go Into the Unknown, and we need Propulsion for that.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Virtual Russian posted:

Industrial Focus

Exploration Focus

Tech Focus

Power and Propulsion

Also sign me up as a Ground Commander please.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Research
Defensive Systems to get the best use of our better scientists. We get 2X points in DS, only 1.6X in PP, and have no C&P specialists. Lighter hulls is low hanging fruit and good for both warships and freighters. Should also switch some of the crappy scientists into the fields we're missing.

Industrial Focus
Strengthen Earth’s Industrial Capacity Earth isn't low on minerals yet, so ramp up our local extraction and building capability. It will get us to significant off-planet extraction faster so we can spread across the galaxy as a plague of strip-mining locusts.

Exploration Focus
Geosurvey Known Systems Closer resources are more efficient to exploit and even if we find something nice far away, we don't have the range or waystations to exploit it

Moon Low infrastructure requirements and zero travel time win. The duranium is a nice bonus.

And we should do a survey ship run with a better maintenance life:fuel ratio.

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 16, 2020

Machado de Assis
Dec 12, 2005

Sweet, been a while since I've seen an aurora LP here, really enjoyed the previous ones!

Votes:

Virtual Russian posted:

Industrial Focus

c. Strengthen Earth’s Industrial Capacity – Earth’s factories will be greatly expanded, as will fuel refineries and ordnance production. Industrial production tech will be pursued.

Exploration Focus

Tech Focus

Construction/Production

Requesting to be spacedorfed as a scientist, and that a star system somwhere be named Poitot.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Exo-operation
The Moon
Geo-survey Known Systems
Construction/Production

obviously we have to start humanity's diaspora on Luna. this has been the dream of man since it was first conceived that one day we might live among the stars. it looks like we've got a good system close by in Accatran, so i think our first long-term project ought to be aiming to put people on it but it's a bit out of our grasp right now.

sign me up as a naval officer please, ideally in command of a scout ship or light warship.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Another Aurora LP. As always I'll be a naval officer please.

Industrial Focus

a. Exo-operation
Earth doesn't have enought to fuel our expansion. The system has plenty though. I'd even advocate putting automines on the comets, which have easily accessible minerals.

a. The Moon
Let us go for that which is close-by first. Europa and alien systems can wait to later when we have our home system up and running.
We also don't know what surprises might await us on Europa?

Exploration Focus

a. Geo-survey Known Systems
Let us not venture into the unknown without first having a good idea of what we have on our doorstep. I feel like we should be able to defend our assets, before attracting attention from the unknown.

Tech Focus

Power and Propulsion
The faster we can get resources to where they are needed, the faster we can expand.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Ok, Voting is over.

Our industrial Focus is Exo-operations

We will be starting a major colonial effort aimed towards Europa. However, due to how close the moon was in votes, I will also be starting a small colony there asap, but will entrust the private sector to develop it beyond the initial seed for now.

We are going to be dispatching our survey vessels to geo-survey known systems.

Our primary research focus will be Power and Propulsion.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 16, 2020

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I would appreciate if you could sign me up as an administrator, if possible. Surely some rock out there needs someone to sysadmin the automatic mines.

P.S. Good call not using the real star name list, IMHO --- while it's nice to have names like Alpha Centauri, it's also full of similar-sounding prefix + numeric names,
which are kinda a pain. (Was it Gliese 674 or Gliese 687? --- etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

LLSix posted:

Awesome! :swoon:

Industrial focus - c. Strengthen Earth’s Industrial Capacity
Primary colonization effort - c. Adrastapol-B III
Exploration - a. Geo-survey Known Systems
Tech Focus - Biology/Genetics for terraforming

Please sign me up. I would like to be the administrator of our first extra-solar colony if that's not too specific.

You are in, and are a very likely candidate for our first governor of Europa once we get there.

Drone posted:

Sign me up as a Naval Officer.

In at the rank of commander.

Athaboros posted:

Sign me up as a Naval Officer as well; I want to be one of our swords in the stars.

In at the rank of commander.

Saros posted:

Sign me up as a Naval Officer, preferably one with a combat task force command.

In at the rank of captain, I'll see that you get some kind of command. I'm generally starting naval officers at the rank of commander, but I've enjoyed your Shadow Empire LP so I'll bend things a little.

The Lone Badger posted:

Put me in as the most junior naval officer it's possible to name.

In at Lieutenant Commander, hopefully you get promoted up before we have to send fighters into action, as they are coffins.

PurpleXVI posted:

ABA, Energy Weapons

Also if any survey ships need an officer, I'm game. Throw me into the unknown so I can die horribly.

In at rank of commander, with a high survey stat, I'll try to remember to assign you to one of our survey vessels.

Fat Samurai posted:

Dorf me a Scientist, please.

In as a P&P scientist.

mrpwase posted:

Also sign me up as a Ground Commander please.

In at rank of Lieutenant Colonel.

Machado de Assis posted:

Requesting to be spacedorfed as a scientist, and that a star system somwhere be named Poitot.

In as a sensor scientist, and I'll name the next system we discover Poitot.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

sign me up as a naval officer please, ideally in command of a scout ship or light warship.

In at rank of Commander

Sad King Billy posted:

As always I'll be a naval officer please.

In at rank of Commander

I'm going to do my very best to keep track of everyone, and I'll try to keep you all informed of your officer's career/grisly death.