Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Mafia edit because stupid phone : *Town Cred

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
just want to make sure i understand,

sand voted textbook early on and never left textbook. he later spoke with text trying to offer them different options, which text rejected. sand is town.

somber voted textbook early on, and then switched to a different case, before voting textbook shortly before deadline. somber also spoke with text trying to offer them different options, which text rejected. somber is scum.

is that about right?

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

sand voted textbook early on and never left textbook. he later spoke with text trying to offer them different options, which text rejected. sand is town.

somber voted textbook early on, and then switched to a different case, before voting textbook shortly before deadline. somber also spoke with text trying to offer them different options, which text rejected. somber is scum.

is that about right?

I don’t know.
I am confused here. Did i miss your conversation with Text where you tried to help a brother out?

but you also forgot the part where we all learned that Sand has AMAZING scum sense, so now we all like him better than you (this last part is a joke... don’t read that much into it)

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Somberbrero posted:

is that about right?

Somber, you were right in the first part, wrong in the second. I Do not feel that your vote on text was scummy. That is Roy’s argument. Who I am voting because I think they are scum. I think the argument of you flipping to text is a scummy one, and you should not be penalized for it.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Roydrowsy posted:

but you also forgot the part where we all learned that Sand has AMAZING scum sense, so now we all like him better than you (this last part is a joke... don’t read that much into it)

Sci, so help me I will never live this down.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Somberbrero posted:

a) i'm not trying to push sand. i'm pointing out why i disagree with your reasoning .

Somberbrero posted:

If you're going to call it fence sitting I would find Roy and sand much more believable as they were more active participants yesterday but also just kind of let things go without steering conversation.

This is the post I was referring to. you said sand was a bigger fence-sitter than boogie which i demonstrated was totally untrue. Not sure if I could have been more clear or if you're willfully misunderstanding

Somberbrero posted:

There are seven people alive in this game and I'm pretty sure you are scum. let me know whenever it's okay to vote you!

You actually started the day by voting me, that's where your vote still is. hope this helps!

Somberbrero posted:

b) why on earth is it scummy for me to disagree with you on dmboogie?

It's not just that you disagree, it's that you obviously wanted to protect him so badly that you tried to blame SNG for not actively participating in day 1, which is laughably false. So i think that's scummy.

Somberbrero posted:

and now, that i finally get to the end of this post, i have fully processed that you agree with me on boogie and i have lost my loving mind. i'm going to walk away before i get any nastier than i've already been.

remember yesterday when textbook got all riled up... make sure you don't do the same here. Not that you'll flip town like he did, but, you know.

And yeah, to your point --I'm changing my thoughts on boogie in light of new arguments and more data--this isn't town-specific, you can do it too

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Hey, just stepping in to quickly say I believe textbook prefers they/them pronouns folks.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

The reason I am iffy on you somber is that I think the case on spokes is weak, and that possibly you were being disingenuous about your reads of my play as well as DMBoogie and Roy. Disingenouity is often scummy or caused by a misunderstanding. The fact I haven’t switched my vote to you should tell you, if I’m town, that I think you are less scummy than Roy.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

I’m sorry text! I dunno if it was me but I’m awful at pronouns when rambling.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

ilmucche posted:

Hey, just stepping in to quickly say I believe textbook prefers they/them pronouns folks.

I'm sorry text.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Spokes posted:

This is the post I was referring to. you said sand was a bigger fence-sitter than boogie which i demonstrated was totally untrue. Not sure if I could have been more clear or if you're willfully misunderstanding

I clearly demonstrated why I disagreed with you. Not sure if I could have been more clear or if you're just scum.

Spokes posted:

You actually started the day by voting me, that's where your vote still is. hope this helps!

way to miss the point.

Spokes posted:

It's not just that you disagree, it's that you obviously wanted to protect him so badly that you tried to blame SNG for not actively participating in day 1, which is laughably false. So i think that's scummy.

👏HOW👏DOES👏'PROTECTING'👏DMBOOGIE👏ADVANCE👏MY👏GAME👏AS👏SCUM?👏

holy poo poo i don't even think sand is scum, i'm telling you that your reasoning is broke and YOU AGREE WITH ME ON DMBOOGIE

Spokes posted:

Iremember yesterday when textbook got all riled up... make sure you don't do the same here. Not that you'll flip town like he did, but, you know.

And yeah, to your point --I'm changing my thoughts on boogie in light of new arguments and more data--this isn't town-specific, you can do it too

when it seems like MOST OF YOUR ARGUMENT is somehow based around ME DEFENDING DMBOOGIE and then YOU SAY YOU THINK HE IS TOWN

i think it's a little weird.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

holy poo poo i don't even think sand is scum, i'm telling you that your reasoning is broke and YOU AGREE WITH ME ON DMBOOGIE

when it seems like MOST OF YOUR ARGUMENT is somehow based around ME DEFENDING DMBOOGIE and then YOU SAY YOU THINK HE IS TOWN

i think it's a little weird.

When I posted my reads I said i was still leaning scum on boogie. I said it right here, you see:

Spokes posted:

Leaning Scum:
dmboogie -- So few posts D1 and the ones that he did come with were content to watch the votes fly and pick whoever looked suspicious while covering himself. But if I believe he actually didn't get the chance to read the thread much, I don't know how scummy he actually ends up being. And it took some prodding but he has come to post D2 and seems willing to put day 1 behind us and engage in scumhunting, which is good.

Saying that i'm voting you because you're defending boogie is a pretty egregious mischaracterization of my argument. I'm not saying that you're claiming sand is scum, but (like i said earlier) you said he was more of a fence-sitter than boogie D1 which (again) is hilariously untrue. And you're using my suspicion of boogie to paint me as a target, but in order to put any meat on that argument you have to convince people that my suspicion of boogie is unfounded, and your defense of him makes sense. And neither of those have any base in fact, but it's cool that you're switching to the tactic of just yelling about it so people overlook the glaring logic flaws in your argument. I have a lot more faith in sand, sci, roy, and tommu than that tho

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Spokes posted:

Spokes acknowledges that his viewpoint is shifted but that inconveniently breaks apart his argument so he tries to have it both ways.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Somberbrero posted:

you're freaking out about dmb saying that your reasoning was bad yesterday when there aren't even any votes on you. if dmb was scum there would be no point to that.

What? No I'm not. I don't think you know what freaking out looks like, I am merely pointing out the fact that DMB is soft pushing me as scum.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

sandnavyguy posted:

Sci, so help me I will never live this down.

Nor should you. Steak becoming my nemesis and you vigging me are the two things I will bring up every game from now on

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Spokes posted:

When I posted my reads I said i was still leaning scum on boogie. I said it right here, you see:

Saying that i'm voting you because you're defending boogie is a pretty egregious mischaracterization of my argument. I'm not saying that you're claiming sand is scum, but (like i said earlier) you said he was more of a fence-sitter than boogie D1 which (again) is hilariously untrue. And you're using my suspicion of boogie to paint me as a target, but in order to put any meat on that argument you have to convince people that my suspicion of boogie is unfounded, and your defense of him makes sense. And neither of those have any base in fact, but it's cool that you're switching to the tactic of just yelling about it so people overlook the glaring logic flaws in your argument. I have a lot more faith in sand, sci, roy, and tommu than that tho

am i pushing sand as a lunch candidate???? no! i'm having this argument with you disagree with a point i made. you keep trying to turn this into something it isn't.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Somberbrero posted:

OK, well, I am not really in the zone tonight as I had a virtual pub quiz, but it doesn't take too much brain power to realise that if DMB is scum, it helps your team to defend him, and if he's town, you could be trying to gain cred by defending him and getting him on side.

I don't necessarily think that's what you're doing, but ignoring the possibilities of two very obvious reasons for scum players to defend other players seems almost willfully obtuse.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I really like Spokes now. He is posting in a really difficult to fake manner, very "blah, I am putting down my thoughts as they occur"

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

am i pushing sand as a lunch candidate???? no! i'm having this argument with you disagree with a point i made.

The "point" you made was that sand was less of a participant in day 1 arguments than boogie.

The only rationale i can see for it is that you want to make me look suspicious and you're basing it on my accusation of boogie--but for that to actually be suspicious you have to make boogie look better than I claimed he was (and you're trying to do it by knocking sand down). Boogie had no problem coming in and saying "oops sorry shoulda posted more i'm gonna be around more for day 2" and that's why his scum level went down for me, but you're trying to use even that as ammo against me and it all rings pretty hollow

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Scum players often check and recheck what they write, to ensure they don't give anything away. It takes real skill to do that and avoid it looking contrived, I think Spokes is town.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Scientastic posted:

Scum players often check and recheck what they write, to ensure they don't give anything away. It takes real skill to do that and avoid it looking contrived, I think Spokes is town.

Sci what are your current thoughts on Roy, me, and Tommu?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Tommu and you feel town, I don't have a read on Roy

Something about his posts make me skim them, and I should actually try reading them

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I think it's the av

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

OK, so I've just read Roy's posts, and I think the two things that I find suspicious are:

1. his behaviour around TO: rereading with the benefit of hindsight, it definitely feels like he might know that TO is town
2. he's not voting for me, despite saying how much he finds me scummy

I'm just going to put together something on point 2, because it's quite striking to me

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Roydrowsy posted:

I still feel a bit weird about Scientastic's vote on this. Given the way that Textbook flipped town, it doesn't feel any better. As I said before, I think the initial vote was in bad faith. Once the momentum of the Textbook vote started to pick up a little bit (as a flailing noob, all they had to do was just sit back and ride it out.

Bolding mine here. If you think this, that's a massive loving alarm bell. If I genuinely thought a vote was "in bad faith", it's hard to think of an argument you could make for that person being town.

Roydrowsy posted:

Here is Where I stand:
Scientastic: At this point, I am GASP! on the fence about Scientastic. Their vote for text led to the lynching of town, but their play about it was lazy. I am thinking at this point, they'd have to be really lucky scum to have landed on such an easy target right out the gate. I'm tempted to look more at some of the people who voted for Textbook later.
And then this is getting back on the fence. The initial statement is pretty strong, yet this walks it back. The scumminess of riding the momentum, but then instantely saying it was just laziness.

Roydrowsy posted:

Somberbrero:
I get the strong feeling things like "I'm an obvious night kill choice, and I'm still alive," is an interesting plant of language. I don't know what make you an obvious NK choice, but if you were that obvious, one way you could have survived the night is by not typing your name into the kill action.

Your walk back of your Textbook vote sorta does the same thing. "He didn't have to be the one lynched" but your vote more or less ensured that it happened.

##vote Somberbrero
Somberbrero is most likely to be scum right now, possibly working with Scientastic?

I'll be around for about 30 minutes to take questions

This is very much a less good reason to vote someone than "I think his vote was in bad faith", and he was voting for me all D1. Why is he voting Somber here?

Followed by:

Roydrowsy posted:

Also, I’m not freaking out about what happened to text, it is unfortunate, but it played out like I thought it would. I don’t think it’s fair to say I “started the bus”. I cast a vote in what I took to be jokephase nonsense... which Scientastic then jumped on (making it a real deal) and Textbook did most of the work themselves. (With the help of Somber’s vote, that he didn’t feel too passionate about ((so we know it was totally in the level)))

I could definitely vote Roy for this poo poo.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Scientastic posted:

I don't necessarily think that's what you're doing, but ignoring the possibilities of two very obvious reasons for scum players to defend other players seems almost willfully obtuse.

And so if spokes thinks dmboogie is town then....?

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Scientastic posted:

This is very much a less good reason to vote someone than "I think his vote was in bad faith", and he was voting for me all D1. Why is he voting Somber here?

This is my main issue with them on the whole, they aren’t making firm choices based on the information they themselves feel is egregious. Then, when Roy makes a decision, they refocus on a lesser scum target *by their own metric* instead.

I don’t think you’re scum this game Sci, but Roy sure does and I’m not sure why they aren’t voting in line with their own feelings. Hence my vote.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

Somberbrero (2): Spokes, Roydrowsy
Spokes (2): Somberbrero, dmboogie
dmboogie (1): Scientastic
Roydrowsy (1): sandnavyguy

Not Voting (1): Tommu

With 7 alive, it's 4 votes to execute. The current deadline is July 18th, 2020 at 3 a.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day, 10 hours.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Somberbrero posted:

And so if spokes thinks dmboogie is town then....?

Well, as scum, there are clear advantages to defending a town player; I’m not convinced that Boogie is town, obviously, but if he is and you’re scum, it could engender positive feelings from him towards you, which is good for you, and if he were executed, you could look like a good scumhunter who tried their best to steer the town in the right direction. This is pretty basic stuff Somber, I don’t know why you’re pretending that scum players don’t defend town players?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

sandnavyguy posted:

This is my main issue with them on the whole, they aren’t making firm choices based on the information they themselves feel is egregious. Then, when Roy makes a decision, they refocus on a lesser scum target *by their own metric* instead.

I don’t think you’re scum this game Sci, but Roy sure does and I’m not sure why they aren’t voting in line with their own feelings. Hence my vote.

Yes, this is a bit more succinctly put.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Scientastic posted:

Well, as scum, there are clear advantages to defending a town player; I’m not convinced that Boogie is town, obviously, but if he is and you’re scum, it could engender positive feelings from him towards you, which is good for you, and if he were executed, you could look like a good scumhunter who tried their best to steer the town in the right direction. This is pretty basic stuff Somber, I don’t know why you’re pretending that scum players don’t defend town players?

Because so do town players. There's a clear incentive to direct votes away from people you think are town as town. This is pretty basic stuff Scientastic.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Yes, but you said

Somberbrero posted:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

So as much as I appreciate the cute repeat of my pretty basic stuff comment, you’re not really talking about the same thing

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Scientastic posted:

So as much as I appreciate the cute repeat of my pretty basic stuff comment, you’re not really talking about the same thing

If you cunningly ignore the entire point to play at semantics, then I suppose you make a good argument.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Somberbrero posted:

If you cunningly ignore the entire point to play at semantics, then I suppose you make a good argument.

Your point was that there is no scum motivation for defending DMB, and I said that, regardless of DMB’s alignment, it was easy to imagine how a scum player could wind up defending him.

I’m not playing at semantics, you’re being weird about this.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

If I have misunderstood what you were trying to say, please elucidate

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Because to me, it read like you couldn’t envision any reason for scum to defend a town player, perhaps I misunderstood?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Scientastic posted:

Your point was that there is no scum motivation for defending DMB, and I said that, regardless of DMB’s alignment, it was easy to imagine how a scum player could wind up defending him.

I’m not playing at semantics, you’re being weird about this.

Part of Spokes argument is that I am scum for defending dmboogie.

Scientastic posted:

Because to me, it read like you couldn’t envision any reason for scum to defend a town player, perhaps I misunderstood?

If there is equal if not greater incentive for town to defend town. If town and scum both do it, why is it scummy behavior? Scummy behavior would be throwing out town reads but never scumhunting.

Spokes posted:

The "point" you made was that sand was less of a participant in day 1 arguments than boogie.

The only rationale i can see for it is that you want to make me look suspicious and you're basing it on my accusation of boogie--but for that to actually be suspicious you have to make boogie look better than I claimed he was (and you're trying to do it by knocking sand down). Boogie had no problem coming in and saying "oops sorry shoulda posted more i'm gonna be around more for day 2" and that's why his scum level went down for me, but you're trying to use even that as ammo against me and it all rings pretty hollow

Going back through Spokes' generous interpretation of what his arguments have now evolved into:

In order to convince people that spokes was scum, I tried to make dmboogie look town. In order to do so, spokes insists, I had to put sand down.

Nevermind that I've already laid out the problems with Sand's posting yesterday, which Spokes never bothered to respond to (because he knows he's wrong??), this just doesn't make sense. Spokes now thinks Dmboogie is town. If dmboogie is town, then it should have been normal for me to disagree with Spokes and make an effort to divert attention from him in favor of a better candidate. However, Spokes suggests the actual motivation for doing so was to discredit his posting in order to move votes to him.

Which, again, doesn't make any sense.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

OK, now you’re making a bit more sense, I think I get what you’re saying. I agree that there are town reasons to defend players, but you seemed to be saying that there were NO scum reasons, hence my confusion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'm sorry if I'm being difficult, I'm just getting unduly frustrated by a combination of life and feeling like I'm not being heard. I apologize for being a dick.