Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Ooblets is out on EGS and I think there is a gently caress up, it's showing with a sale coupon that takes the price down to 1/3rd of what it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Carecat posted:

Ooblets is out on EGS and I think there is a gently caress up, it's showing with a sale coupon that takes the price down to 1/3rd of what it should be.

Are you referring to the $10 EGS coupon from the recent summer sale? That, in addition to the initial 20% off drops the game from $25 to $10 for me.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The coupon lasts longer than the sale? That's weird.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Carecat posted:

The coupon lasts longer than the sale? That's weird.

Yup, the $10 coupon lasts until October 31 and is applicable to any game over $14.99.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

there's really nowhere to go with SUPERHOT's story anyways

more stylish killing is all there is left

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The new SUPERHOT thing seems cool, but in the ~30 minutes I played I saw the same level two or more times come up. As a free extra for owning the game it's pretty cool but I dunno if there's a whole separate game's worth of content for $25.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

counterpoint: you can throw fish at men, and sometimes you can make the fish explode

super
höt
super
höt
super
höt

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah some of the modifiers are pretty cool, you can get one that turns throwables into "grenades" that shoot bullets out from the impact point when thrown. Also as usual the presentation with this is top top notch.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
New Superhot owns bones.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Carecat posted:

Yeah, I wasn't sure if I wanted this game in early access but for $10, it's a no brainer.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Now I wish SUPERHOT would have been part of the animated sticker event.
luv2charge

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
So I've been playing through Original Sin with a friend and it's tons of fun. Unfortunately, our schedules don't always match so I want a similar game that I can play on my own. What are my choices if I want something similar? Let's say a story focused RPG that lets me control more than one guy?

Original Sin 2 I'd like to leave alone for now in case I ever move on to that one with my pal.

I own both Pillars of Eternity and Pathfinder: Kingmaker from old bundles but I don't have any of the DLC. Is any of those good and not too incomplete without the DLC?

Is there any other arguably better game in a similar vein? TROUBLESHOOTER is not something I'm interested in right now due to the poor translation. Classic Fallout I played already.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Det_no posted:

So I've been playing through Original Sin with a friend and it's tons of fun. Unfortunately, our schedules don't always match so I want a similar game that I can play on my own. What are my choices if I want something similar? Let's say a story focused RPG that lets me control more than one guy?

Original Sin 2 I'd like to leave alone for now in case I ever move on to that one with my pal.

I own both Pillars of Eternity and Pathfinder: Kingmaker from old bundles but I don't have any of the DLC. Is any of those good and not too incomplete without the DLC?

Is there any other arguably better game in a similar vein? TROUBLESHOOTER is not something I'm interested in right now due to the poor translation. Classic Fallout I played already.

Pillars of Eternity is good, even without the DLC. Pathfinder Kingmaker is a mess of trap options for quests and character building, I really don’t recommend it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Det_no posted:

Pillars of Eternity is very good imo, but you should pick up the DLC because that's where its best content is.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Oldstench posted:

New Superhot owns bones.

I do not like the bosses

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

SirSamVimes posted:

Pillars of Eternity is very good imo, but you should pick up the DLC because that's where its best content is.

Speaking of, the definitive version of Pillars of Eternity can be had for $8.50 via the greenmangaming summer sale going on

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Det_no posted:

I can't say anything about Pillars since I haven't played it but I did not like Pathfinder. I gave it a solid shot and put like ~20hrs into it. The game is just a brutal grind of random encounters and dungeons that take dozens of trips to clear since spells and special abilities are usually usable once a day and you have to rest to reset them, which you can't do in the dungeons. You're often attacked while resting, too. The gameplay ends up being a loop of go into dungeoun -> fight a couple of groups -> backtrack outside -> rest -> probably get attacked -> rest more -> go back to dungeon -> repeat until cleared. Oh and there's one early mission (when you're like level 2, maybe 3) that has enemies that do permanent stat damage lmao. The real time w/ pause is done very poorly as well imo and doesn't jive with the tabletop ruleset that the game adheres to.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Guijan 3 is a bit of a decent game at first but after ~10 hours it hit the point where I know I'm going to put 50-100 hours in it.

First off, the card game Lost Tales.

It's based off a chinese card game where you match cards based on themes to accrue points, and you can match in sets of 2,3, or 4. There's 4 suits based on the season and a big variety of character cards. Each player gets a deck they can see, and a river of ~11 cards you have to match from. You can only match a single card from your hand to a suitable one (based on the seasons) in the river.

Anything that you've match and collected from the 'river' go into your deck and the entire deck will mix any possible combinations as you add more and more cards. So there are tier 1 cards that match with 8-10 others, tier 2 that match with 4-6, tier 3 that match 1-3. Obviously grabbing as many tier 1 cards as you see is the easiest, but the tier 3 cards are the ones that can link up for a 3/4 set match which is basically a killshot for the game.

The rare cards you win from people (yes anyone you can play will give up a rare card when beaten) I'm a little less clear on but they have huge point bonuses if you get a specific match-up with them or an ability to penalize your opponent. When a rare card is played (still not 100% sure why) you are apparently able to pick 1 of 2 powers to activate.

I haven't really lost the game that often unless I clearly see I got a bad draw, like no tier 1 cards available at all. Originally the game was just the cards and you'd have to memorize the combos, but the version I'm playing will tell you with cards will match when you mouse over to select them, so it solves like 95% of the beginner difficulty. I've started working out more advanced techniques from trial an error, like realizing that a certain set of swords with 3-match with a massive point boost.

There's quest based people to play and tons of NPCs will just play a round with you anyways if you engage dialogue with them.

The Base Building

I knew this was part of the game but it turns into mini Stardew Valley at one point. You have mining, crafting, research, fishing, farming, and exploring. You fight and recruit pact monsters to serve as your workers who have different sets of skills and level up and gain experience as they work. You find and hire NPCs like carpenters, tailors, blacksmiths etc. who level up as they work to unlock more advanced abilities.

Working causes the pacts and NPCs to lose HP, which you raise by feeding them. The better the meal the more HP they get. Each creature has 4 possible foods they'll eat, the lowest being like farmed foods or things you can easily buy for cheap from a grocer, and the higher are things you craft. One thing I've noticed so far is when the tasks are complete you get a ton of the resource. It's not like 3-4 fish its more like 15-20.

In order to craft anything you have to research it, which leads to a mini-game that I can easily see infuriating some people. During the mini-game your NPCs might pause and ask for help, giving you 3 options to pick from to succeed. An example is

"How do I give make the fish crispy"
- Cook it in hot oil
- Add the sauce
- Coat the fish in flour

The correct option is coat the fish in flour. Similar questions showed up in other food recipes that I was only able to guess because of cooking knowledge I had. Because the game has minimal presence online finding the correct answers is impossible so if you're trying to research something with rare ingredients you might lose them all because of a question you don't know the answer to.

All in all the overall game grew on me more until I got to this part where now I'm all in on finding and hiring ever NPC, hunting every monster, and building the fanciest spirit realm island I can. There's a large flat area up on top of the mountain where you can play Sims 4 and set up buildings, decorations, fancy statues etc. just for looking nice. I'm not sure yet if there's a gameplay benefit but I already started making furniture for it.

Also, and I cannot stress this enough, the UI and management aspect of the entire thing is near perfect. You have a start menu you can access that shows all the mission status, and you can switch to the NPC or monster tab and feed them as easily as pressing A and going down the list. There's no dumb requirement like having to walk over to them and pick the food item from your pouch. Once you select the monster/NPC you can immediately select the food they like if you have it and feed them.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 16, 2020

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Pillars it is then. And it's cheap on GMG too, lucky. Thanks guys.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The Mind Control Delete soundtrack absolutely bangs.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

K8.0 posted:

The Mind Control Delete soundtrack absolutely bangs.

Me: *Before clicking* I bet you it's the music from The Disco level
*clicks*
*Ten seconds pass*
Me: :mmmhmm:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

pentyne posted:

Guijan 3 is a bit of a decent game at first but after ~10 hours it hit the point where I know I'm going to put 50-100 hours in it.

just one thing - for the love of god, return to skyelk often and check the whole map for sidequests. there are hours of them, all story-heavy, all with significant rewards, and all perma-missable, which i didn't realize until it was much too late

the quest markers are never on the part of the map you initially see, you have to check its whole elevation to find them

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Here's one for fans of apps about caring for a garden or a virtual pet or something like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipkv1siyzd8

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1114130/My_Koi/

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Det_no posted:

Pillars it is then. And it's cheap on GMG too, lucky. Thanks guys.

Keep in mind Pillars of Eternity 2 is much better than PoE 1. PoE is a very solid recreation and improvement on Baldurs Gate, PoE 2 is one of the best western RPGs without having to be a knockoff of an old game.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Holy gently caress the battle grid is one of the coolest ideas I've ever seen in Stars Wars Jedi Fallen Order. The ability to create different boss fights is so fun. Putting some of these bosses together who are meant to be fought solo creates near impossible challenges. Would be amazing if they added something like this Dark Souls, imagine creating a boss arena where you fight Siff and Artorias at the same time. Now that is my definition of a fun time.

Also if you don't want to fight you can just make up fights between Imperial soldiers and wildlife creatures, or put two bosses versus each other.

The side content added post release is actually really neat and adds lots of replay value.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

That's true, I was very underwhelmed with PoE1 and slept on PoE2 for the longest time, but I'd call it Obsidian's best game since New Vegas.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I really love the Brigand Oaxaca dev. He loves his game and digs engaging with its community. His love for weed and beer also have a certain charm.

His game is really good for what it is, so I think I’m going to give it a rather glowing review when I finish the main campaign.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

StrixNebulosa posted:

An Othercide trailer/gameplay video and !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oil-Kna3deI

I want this game

Wow, I hadn't even heard of this game before and this looks cool as hell.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I need help remember the name of a game on Steam, long ago I played this mobile to PC port of a "snakes" game (you know, where your line gets bigger and bigger as you progress until you pretty much just running into your own tail), but the line was made out of little guys instead, like one guy had a sweeping sword, another was a litte red demon dude that shot fire, etc. You killed rats and stuff in a sewer level and knights and mages on a castle level, I want to say the game's name had "Hero" or "Quest" in it, but that's super drat generic.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

BTW the update for Monster Train came out today and it's pretty rad. The Daily Challenge mode shows you ghosts of other players on the tracks to indicate how far they've gotten, and it seems to group you up with 8-10 other players live(?) and shows you a score breakdown of the people in your group on the left.

The mutators seem neat but probably nothing I'd engage with outside of the daily challenge mode. That said, today's was a real bitch of a challenge :stare:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Im_Special posted:

I need help remember the name of a game on Steam, long ago I played this mobile to PC port of a "snakes" game (you know, where your line gets bigger and bigger as you progress until you pretty much just running into your own tail), but the line was made out of little guys instead, like one guy had a sweeping sword, another was a litte red demon dude that shot fire, etc. You killed rats and stuff in a sewer level and knights and mages on a castle level, I want to say the game's name had "Hero" or "Quest" in it, but that's super drat generic.

If this thread doesn’t have the name then try the iOS thread. I think I know what you’re talking about because I played it on iPhone but I can’t recall the name either

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Im_Special posted:

Nimble Quest? https://store.steampowered.com/app/259780/Nimble_Quest/

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

That's exactly it! Thanks a ton, and apparently I reviewed the game way back when... should have just checked that... And that feeling of getting old man memory, sucks.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

DatonKallandor posted:

Keep in mind Pillars of Eternity 2 is much better than PoE 1. PoE is a very solid recreation and improvement on Baldurs Gate, PoE 2 is one of the best western RPGs without having to be a knockoff of an old game.

I vaguely remembered people talking about that but unfortunately, I don't have much money right now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s worth playing PoE 1 first anyway, since the improvements in 2 make going back and playing the first one pretty difficult when you’re used to them.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's time for
~graventy gets suckered by bundles and you all might benefit~
starring me.

Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War® - Game of the Year Edition
5D7DE-I??J5-M4E9P
it's the only egyptian god I can easily spell

Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II
3QC60-282PG-???ZI
Everyone's favorite middle eastern country, Yemen. with no e's.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III

This has been
~graventy gets suckered by bundles and you all might benefit~
Tune in probably next week when I get suckered again.

graventy fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 17, 2020

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

graventy posted:

Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide
5Y7NF-???6E-N65VD
captain james t. ?i??

Grabbed this. Thanks!

Spork Dragon
Jan 3, 2007

graventy posted:

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III
3H9XN-V7???-XPGXK
it was used to make soap in ye olden times. and fight club.

Many thanks, I had been curious!

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
DoW II is taken. Rats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

did these superhot guys really just give me their brand new game for free? thats kind of cool