Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

CrazyLittle posted:

You can still do initial setups of UniFi APs using their mobile app.

My own recommendation is to run the unifi controller somewhere on your layer 2 network, and keep it running anyways (with regular config backups), since you gain all of the control and visibility that multiple access points afford you. If it's just a single AP in a small apartment, then whatever - paperclip the fucker every six months if you need to... why care?

That said, I'm also another vote of no confidence in Ubiquiti's direction in any of their newer product lines. Don't bother w/ Ubiquiti if it's not one of these lines:

1) Edgemax routers
2) Edgemax switches
3) UniFi access points
4) UniFi switches

This, coming from a goon whose whole house is wired for unifi with a USG firewall on gigabit internet, and 4 switches + 5 APs.

My UDM Pro deployment went OK at my parent's place but man I do not like the amount of warning it tosses up for "High TCP Latency" and other such things. My UniFi setup at my place barely complains about anything, but I am doing only APs here. My construction is 1982-1984, 4 story townhome, my parents is 2005, 2 story massive house. I'm personally blaming the fuckery on the Amazon Fire hardware and me having to change Tx power as a result.

That all said though... generally agree with the above but I think I might actually prefer the EdgeSwitch over the UniFi switch, right now. I found the UniFi switch UI lovely for setting up a simple LAG; the EdgeSwitch UI is way more intuitive, I feel, but at the same time, it is not as centralized / organized if you have a lot of switches.

I did just have a weird issue occur where after a power outage, the SFP link between my ER-4 and EdgeSwitch did not come back up, allowing me to VPN in but be trapped at my ER-4. Anyone have something like that happen before? Tempted to just go back to a copper Cat5/Cat6 cable because they're 3 feet apart and I don't need anything faster than 1 Gb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a simple guide somewhere about setting up a reverse proxy with Nginx and LetsEncrypt? Everything I find so far seems to be geared towards using a pre-built plugin or Docker container where you can just feed it your settings, but I'm trying to do this on a regular Linux desktop.

I'm trying to make an Ombi instance public so that friends and family could request stuff to add to a Plex server. Right now I can do that with port forwarding (mydomain.duckdns.org:34567 goes to the Ombi webGUI fine), but I keep reading that reverse proxy is the 'right' way do do something like that. In my limited understanding the process doesn't sound that much different than port forwarding, is it just that a proper web server can secure things with certs/HTTPS?

Anyway, I've got everything installed and have a cert/key/whatever created with LetsEncrypt using my DuckDNS subdomain, but I don't seem to be able to actually direct Nginx to forward incoming requests to Ombi, and I'm still a little confused about how external traffic would reach my desktop directly anyway. Do I still need to port forward traffic from the internet to my PC, then have Nginx set up to look for that traffic and perform cert validation before passing it on to Ombi?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

My advice would be to spin up a VM that you aren't hosting yourself; don't let the world into your home network/your desktop if you aren't entirely sure what you're doing.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Alright, I've been a network engineer for two decades but I'm having a Disco Elysium moment where I've forgotten everything about my past as well as basic concepts like money.

I have:

1) Xfinity home (not commercial-grade) ISP

2) self-owned Asus docsis 3.0 cable modem, currently giving internet when plugged directly into laptop

3) HP Procurve 3500yl-48G PoE switch updated to the newest aruba firmware and reset to factory config

All I wanna do is make an uplink port on the ProCurve, where I plug the cable modem into Port 48 and the ProCurve grabs an IP address via Xfinity DHCP, then serves that internet out to all the other ports with it's own 192.168.2.x subnet.

What am I loving up? At a minimum I'd think the ProCurve itself should be able to ping 8.8.8.8 after I've set a static route of all traffic to the gateway that Xfinity has been giving to the laptop when it connects with DHCP (the redacted address beginning with 7)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

You want a router.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

astral posted:

You want a router.

That's what a procurve 3500yl switch is, it's a layer 3 switch. I have two acting as routers for a 500-person office. I just woke up braindead today and can't remember how to configure anything anymore. I want to use this one specifically because it has 48 PoE ports and I want to set up lots of PoE wifi hotspots and security cameras at my house. Not to mention it has a 200-year warranty where they'll express ship me another.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 12, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

That's what a procurve 3500yl switch is, it's a layer 3 switch. I have two acting as routers for a 500-person office. I just woke up braindead today and can't remember how to configure anything anymore. I want to use this one specifically because it has 48 PoE ports and I want to set up lots of PoE wifi hotspots and security cameras at my house. Not to mention it has a 200-year warranty where they'll express ship me another.

Most (but not all) Layer 3 switches don't support NAT; a quick glance at the 3500yl's management and configuration guide didn't seem to indicate your model was an exception.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

astral posted:

Most (but not all) Layer 3 switches don't support NAT; a quick glance at the 3500yl's management and configuration guide didn't seem to indicate your model was an exception.

Whaaa that's bonkers... I could have sworn there was a time when we had no NAT router and these switches were doing everything. Maybe I misremembered.

Is there anything I can buy that's more appropriate for a home network that can do 12+ PoE ports and NAT all on one device? I'd rather not keep stacking more and more poo poo in here.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 12, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Whaaa that's bonkers... I could have sworn there was a time when we had no NAT router and these switches were doing everything. Maybe I misremembered.

There's also the firewall situation.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

astral posted:

There's also the firewall situation.

Right OK... again is there a consumer router that exists with a generous amount of PoE ports or is the simplest thing going to be to pair a normal router with an unmanaged PoE switch?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Right OK... again is there a consumer router that exists with a generous amount of PoE ports or is the simplest thing going to be to pair a normal router with an unmanaged PoE switch?

Honestly I'd recommend just adding a plain ol' router (the ER-4 gets recommended a lot in this thread, and it's pretty solid) and let that beast of a switch handle the rest.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What AP's do you have?

movax posted:

That all said though... generally agree with the above but I think I might actually prefer the EdgeSwitch over the UniFi switch, right now. I found the UniFi switch UI lovely for setting up a simple LAG; the EdgeSwitch UI is way more intuitive, I feel, but at the same time, it is not as centralized / organized if you have a lot of switches.

I mean yeah that's kinda the point

*e*

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm looking for some honest input, but I'm also all in on Ubiquiti with 3 poe switches a USG and a CloudKey.

just so I'm not leaving you hanging - my goal was to put 5ghz everywhere in my house, with a maximum of 2-3 walls obstruction. With my current setup the only time I'm ever reliant on 2.4ghz is if I'm sitting in my car in the driveway, or using gear that simply doesn't have 5ghz... and most of those (iot) get their own SSID, dedicated radio setting, and kitty-jail VLAN.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 12, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

astral posted:

Honestly I'd recommend just adding a plain ol' router (the ER-4 gets recommended a lot in this thread, and it's pretty solid) and let that beast of a switch handle the rest.

Thanks for the advice, yeah the only downside of the beast switch is that the server-style fans are loud as gently caress for home use. I think there's some 200-year warranty HP switches from that era that are 24 PoE ports instead of 48, but fanless.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
OK now I've got my whole network up and running. There was some additional bullshit where you have to cycle the cable modem because Comcast will peek at the mac address of the router instead of the cable modem and refuse to give internet if you do it out of order. Router, switch and wifi controllers are all 1U rack-mounts. Fun to run my home network with some 8 year old decommissioned gear that MSRP'ed for $10000+ back then. Both the router and switch have those absurdly loud 40mm server fans in them, I wonder if there's a way to just unplug all of them and get some larger fans and a shroud to direct air over them instead.

The highest amount of PoE ports on a fanless switch swtch seems to be 16 on this guy: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-16-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B07DNT7JCT/

Maybe just that and replace the couple 40mm in the router with some Noctua if I wanna get everything toned down to indoor voices?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Catalyst 1000 has a 24 port PoE in the range without a fan

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

The Catalyst 1000 has a 24 port PoE in the range without a fan

Ah thanks, I did some digging and there's also a Zyzel if I can't afford Cisco prices, I've used that brand before and it's fine:

https://www.amazon.com/24-Port-Gigabit-Managed-Rackmount-GS1900-24HP/dp/B00I0EZPCQ?th=1&psc=1

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I did an internal mod on a Dell powerconnect to slow down the fan. Essentially I used a fan controller to slow down the 40mm and it mostly worked. I mean it worked, the fans were slower, but the sensor wire was still going so the switch thinks the fan is too slow. I also replaced the loud 40mm deltas or sunons or whatever with scythe fans (I'd probably use noctua now). Since dell decided to gently caress with the pinout for no reason I had to be mindful not to connect it like a normal fan, but since I rewired it all it was fine.

I basically recreated this with a 7805 but I'm sure there's probably better off the shelf versions these days:
https://ptarmiganlabs.wordpress.com/2013/08/22/one-dollar-variable-fan-controller/
If I had to do it again I'd consider a dc to dc buck converter to just lower the voltage to the fan since there's so many $2 ones on ebay. I'm using one of those to run some 12V stuff on my 24V 3d printer.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

astral posted:

Spectrum offers good DOCSIS 3.1 modems (well, technically eMTAs) and they're free to lease. They come in model numbers that look like E31_2V1, where the blank indicates the actual brand (hitroN, Ubee, Technicolor). They're all pretty solid.

So just let Spectrum take care of it for you with a good modem.

I am definitely in the minority but my leased gigabit modem from Spectrum sucked. Always overheated. I replaced 2 of them, had techs come out, no one could tell me what’s wrong. I put a fan blowing on it and within 10 min it’d be back online.

I went the Netgear modem route and have had no issues at all, and it’s been drat hot in the house.

Try the free one of course but if you drop connection regularly you might want to spend money

sellouts fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 13, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

sellouts posted:

I am definitely in the minority but my leased gigabit modem from Spectrum sucked. Always overheated. I replaced 2 of them, had techs come out, no one could tell me what’s wrong. I put a fan blowing on it and within 10 min it’d be back online.

I went the Netgear modem route and have had no issues at all, and it’s been drat hot in the house.

Try the free one of course but if you drop connection regularly you might want to spend money

What model was it?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

E31T2V1 So, the Technicolor one. I don't know what it was before that but it did the same stuff. Might have been Ubee?

I bought the CM1200.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hey all, I'm in the market for a new modem and router. We have one of those crappy all in one ones, and I'm looking to replace it. We have a unifi AP already that will be on the network as well.

Budget is around 200 all told

astral
Apr 26, 2004

sellouts posted:

E31T2V1 So, the Technicolor one. I don't know what it was before that but it did the same stuff. Might have been Ubee?

I bought the CM1200.

Wonder if it was a bad batch or something, because that definitely shouldn't be the normal experience. Glad you were able to find something that worked though.

iospace posted:

Hey all, I'm in the market for a new modem and router. We have one of those crappy all in one ones, and I'm looking to replace it. We have a unifi AP already that will be on the network as well.

Budget is around 200 all told

ISP/Connection speed?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Just a quick question here. I have a pihole and an old 10/100 switch. I've run out of gigabit ports so I'm looking to move stuff over to the slow switch like my printer and other slow things. Can the pihole do without gigabit ethernet or will it slow down the whole network?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

tuyop posted:

Just a quick question here. I have a pihole and an old 10/100 switch. I've run out of gigabit ports so I'm looking to move stuff over to the slow switch like my printer and other slow things. Can the pihole do without gigabit ethernet or will it slow down the whole network?

All raspberry pis before the 4 run the ethernet over the USB2 bus. So they won't get more than about 300mb/s even on a gigabit network.

Edit: I realize that doesn't answer your question. DNS traffic isn't huge. I doubt if it'd have much of an affect.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

astral posted:

ISP/Connection speed?

D'oh, knew I forgot something. Spectrum, I think 300 mbps.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Wacky Delly posted:

All raspberry pis before the 4 run the ethernet over the USB2 bus. So they won't get more than about 300mb/s even on a gigabit network.

Did the RPi 4 SOC finally have an integrated Ethernet MAC, or did it just move Ethernet to USB 3.0? Forgot off the top of my head (and what industry that SOC was originally intended for).

astral
Apr 26, 2004

iospace posted:

D'oh, knew I forgot something. Spectrum, I think 300 mbps.

Definitely lease a free modem from them (the all-in-ones with wifi cost $5/mo to lease so don't get those); then you can use your entire budget on an ER-4 (+switch?) or go for the cheaper option of an ER-X (+switch?).

They can fedex you a self-install kit that has a free-to-lease modem and a bunch of cables. You probably have to mention the self-install thing or else they'll want to send someone out to plug things in.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Wacky Delly posted:

Edit: I realize that doesn't answer your question. DNS traffic isn't huge. I doubt if it'd have much of an affect.
Running PiHole over wifi is going to be a question latency rather than bandwidth.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

movax posted:

Did the RPi 4 SOC finally have an integrated Ethernet MAC, or did it just move Ethernet to USB 3.0? Forgot off the top of my head (and what industry that SOC was originally intended for).

I think they just moved it to USB3.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Wacky Delly posted:

I guess I’ll switch it out and see! That’s what I thought too. I don’t know exactly what dns does but it can’t be that much overhead, right?

And yeah, always running pihole plugged in.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

tuyop posted:

You can definitely do Pi-hole on 10/100. I run it on that and it runs perfectly fine with PiVPN and PiAware running as well.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

tuyop posted:

I guess I’ll switch it out and see! That’s what I thought too. I don’t know exactly what dns does but it can’t be that much overhead, right?

And yeah, always running pihole plugged in.

DNS is the entirety of what the pi hole does.

When you type google.com into your browser, your computer sends a DNS request to the specified IP (in this case the pi hole) asking what the IP of google.com is. If the pi doesn’t know, it’ll send out a request to its authoritative DNS servers (eg quad nine or opendns).

Those servers will then say I don’t know where google.com is, but I know where the .com domain servers are, let me direct you to them. The .com servers will then know where all the subdomains (eg google) are and direct your request to those servers, who will be able to answer your computer’s original question of where google.com is. Your computer will receive a reply saying google.com is 8.8.8.8 or whatever.

Pi hole does some other cool stuff, like blacklisting. Eg virus.com is known bad on this list, so it won’t give your computer the location, and just drop the request.

Hope that helps!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

movax posted:

Dedicated RGMII path, USB3 comes from pcie. The original SoC was for phones(which is why it had only one usb port).

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this question, but here goes:

Is there a significant difference in quality between Intel and Realtek Ethernet on modern motherboards? For instance is Intel I225-V 2.5Gb Ethernet substantively better than Realtek RTL8125B 2.5Gb Ethernet? If it's like :20bux: more to get a mobo with Intel instead of Realtek is it worth it?

There seems to be a lot of generic prejudice against Realtek and in favor of Intel, but not a lot of evidence one way or the other, other than the general tendency of motherboard makers to only put Intel on higher-end products.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

For most day to day probably not. If you were building a box with TrueNAS/FreeNAS or pfsene, yes.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If you beat up your nic the difference between Realtek and Intel will become readily apparent. If you use it like a normal desktop user it doesn't matter at all.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

sean10mm posted:

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this question, but here goes:

Is there a significant difference in quality between Intel and Realtek Ethernet on modern motherboards? For instance is Intel I225-V 2.5Gb Ethernet substantively better than Realtek RTL8125B 2.5Gb Ethernet? If it's like :20bux: more to get a mobo with Intel instead of Realtek is it worth it?

There seems to be a lot of generic prejudice against Realtek and in favor of Intel, but not a lot of evidence one way or the other, other than the general tendency of motherboard makers to only put Intel on higher-end products.

Realteks don't let you set up multiple vlans on a single wire and don't support teaming. Most motherboards that are not rock bottom quality will give you at least one intel or aquantia nowadays, just realteks(esp nbase-t) are rare.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So what's the current preferred software router/firewall?

Anyone running something like pfSense or ClearOS as router but in a VM instead of a SBC?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Combat Pretzel posted:

So what's the current preferred software router/firewall?

Anyone running something like pfSense or ClearOS as router but in a VM instead of a SBC?

I don’t have experience doing it but a friend of mine runs his network router as a vm running IPFire. He seems to like it okay - though I think he’s looking to move to an SBC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
IPFire, looking into that one, too.

Currently downloading OPNSense to try. Doesn't appear to have ARM images, so :(

--edit:
IPFire has a huge chip on their shoulder in regards to Wireguard. :rolleyes:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 16, 2020