Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Cody vs Sonny 12 14.46%
FTR vs Lucha Bros 28 33.73%
Elite vs Dinosaurs 33 39.76%
Cage vs Mox 10 12.05%
Total: 83 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I like that FTR are at least winning notable matches off of the bat instead of their usual strategy of squashing a bunch of jobbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

explosivo posted:

Agreed, although it feels like we've come a long way from

THE BUTCHER AND THE BLADE
AND BUNNY!

tbf, that was quite funny. i don't care if they gently caress up as long as they do so in an entertaining manner

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think they've done a good job with FTR. I also think they've done well with Cage, Archer, and Brodie. If fans don't know who a guy is as soon as they show up there's not a ton you can do about that unless you want to do that WWE think of weeks of hype promos.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I like that FTR are at least winning notable matches off of the bat instead of their usual strategy of squashing a bunch of jobbers.

Yeah, there's a reason I'm really digging FTR and I'm still pretty cold to Archer.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The Kenny/Hangman stuff has been great, but I feel like you can only go "Wow, they keep on taking this in so many unexpected directions!" for so long. At a certain point you have to finally pull the trigger on telling the audience what the actual story is, and I would really prefer to have that happen sooner rather than later.

Like maybe I'm just being short-sighted, but I kind of want to see Page/Omega drop the belts in the next few weeks, moving the fallout from that into the singles picture for the buildup to All Out. They really don't need the belts to shine and I think they've run through almost everyone in the division; let FTR beat em and move on

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

explosivo posted:

AND BUNNY!

that was obscure even by hooked in standards

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

oh but seriously I posted:

AEW are p. lovely at establishing who their new hires are to people not plugged into the indy scene

Noted indy darlings The Revival

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yeah not being plugged in to "the indie scene" has literally zero bearing on knowing who FTR are and what they do

though I supposed that might actually be the greatest compliment to them, that a team that was built from the ground up by the WWE managed to transcend their system and build themselves up as a tag team well enough that people assume they must have been a thing on the indies prior

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

explosivo posted:

AND BUNNY!

You mean The Blade! The Blade! The Butcher! The Butcher and the Blade!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I don't want Kenny and Hangman to drop the belts, I just wish they had another major program like they did with the Bucks, and this FTR tension seems to be building to that. At this point it's been like five months since the last tag title match that had any sort of extended build.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Benne posted:

Noted indy darlings The Revival

nxt does tna numbers, its an indy

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Big Biceps Tony posted the full card for next week https://twitter.com/TonyKhan/status/1283882497370140672?s=19

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
It's Ivelisse v. Diamante? I thought they were teamed up?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

I Before E posted:

I don't want Kenny and Hangman to drop the belts, I just wish they had another major program like they did with the Bucks, and this FTR tension seems to be building to that. At this point it's been like five months since the last tag title match that had any sort of extended build.

Yeah, that might be contributing to my impatience. Doing a slow-build long-term storyline isn't an issue; doing it as the primary focus of a reigning champion while failing to tell any worthwhile medium-term stories with the belts is.

I think building Omega/Page v. FTR until All Out could definitely work. Personally I'm hoping that PPV serves as kind of a seismic event story-wise for the whole company, so I would be happy with a lot of development packed into a relatively short period of time over the next two months

Rarity posted:

You mean The Blade! The Blade! The Butcher! The Butcher and the Blade!

I'm sad the hashtag bug isn't included in the YouTube video of their debut, because my memory is that #TheButcherTheBladeTheBunny popped up in corner of the screen like, 2 seconds after the hole in the ring appeared which really added to the whole atmosphere

xbilkis fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 16, 2020

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Lanky_Nibz posted:

It's Ivelisse v. Diamante? I thought they were teamed up?

It's one on one, which could be fun.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
feels like Hangman and Angels might go really hard to start Hangman's brain into the singles direction

Angels can work it, we've seen so

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i think i am being imprecise. what i'm trying to communicate is that if you only watch AEW (and a bit of Gatoh Move and New Japan) you have no idea who these people are. I like FTR! but this whole thing with the Bucks is received wisdom rather than some epic feud years in the making from my perspective

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It's definitely hard to divorce what I know through osmosis of being online vs. what's actually shown on the show, but yeah I think "Not assuming everyone immediately grasps the entire significance of what's going on" is still an area where AEW can improve.

That being said, I think they have repeatedly established FTR as a team that's coming in laying a claim to being The Best Tag Team and bragging about elevating the division. They did a sitdown interview segment after their debut. The Young Bucks have cut a promo on em saying "No, we're the best tag team." I'm pretty sure commentary has talked about them having different styles and how people think it's a dream match. They've obviously had FTR come in and get meaningful wins. If they're failing to establish FTR as characters and as A Big Deal, they're not missing the mark by all that much.

I guess the missing piece is maybe hitting FTR's history a little harder, and talking about why The Sanctity Of Tag Team Wrestling is something anyone should care about? I dunno; like I said I think it's more of a tweak than a big fix

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

oh but seriously I posted:

i think i am being imprecise. what i'm trying to communicate is that if you only watch AEW (and a bit of Gatoh Move and New Japan) you have no idea who these people are. I like FTR! but this whole thing with the Bucks is received wisdom rather than some epic feud years in the making from my perspective

Yeah, but the bucks did their "Let us introduce ourselves" promo and now I know who FTR is and what their beef is.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Jonny Nox posted:

Yeah, but the bucks did their "Let us introduce ourselves" promo and now I know who FTR is and what their beef is.

fair, but its not some dream match with 5 years of build. maybe it works on two levels

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

There is a middle ground that they have not found yet where they both do a good job at giving someone a strong intro AND make it feel like it's an athlete who now works in AEW but used to work in other promotions. In my head it shouldn't be too hard, just do a "for those who didn't know" promo or a video.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

There is a middle ground that they have not found yet where they both do a good job at giving someone a strong intro AND make it feel like it's an athlete who now works in AEW but used to work in other promotions. In my head it shouldn't be too hard, just do a "for those who didn't know" promo or a video.

I feel like the Road To Dynamite videos have done a good job of this, like off the top of my head Sammy, Jungle Express, Darby, Scorpio etc all had decent packages about who they were. The problem of course is none of that actually aired on TV.

Mr Brodie, Santana and Archer though, they had great packages on Dynamite. Jeff Cobb too if I remember correctly?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Gumball Gumption posted:

They 100% nailed it with Jeff Cobb, but he was a one-off appearance sadly.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

I said last week AEW should go to flavourtown and I maintain that stance.

I would be able to go to an AEW show in Ohio's state capital, so I concur.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I have to take back all my eye-rolling and groaning at the ratings talk. I mistakenly assumed they were after NXT and not Guy Fieri :shrug:

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Dango Bango posted:

I have to take back all my eye-rolling and groaning at the ratings talk. I mistakenly assumed they were after NXT and not Guy Fieri :shrug:

If Jericho as the Demo God calls out Guy Fieri next week then he can talk ratings all he wants

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmao a lights out for Darby, gently caress outta here

bad ep

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I... I kinda want a Guy Fieri / Jericho program

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

FTR own.

Happy to see the ratings go back up.

Ready for next week.

AEW makes me happy. I need it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

smarxist posted:

I... I kinda want a Guy Fieri / Jericho program
For some reason I immediately picture the Dark Order backing him up and Fieri sitting on the human throne

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Does anyone have that dark order/friends video?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Spiderdrake posted:

For some reason I immediately picture the Dark Order backing him up and Fieri sitting on the human throne

The Keep is in Flavortown.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Vince MechMahon posted:

Does anyone have that dark order/friends video?

I got you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqLK_hja0go

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!
FTR back Guy Fieri because they can show up in that dumb truck that totally crapped out and refused to start after their match against the Lucha Bros. Also FTR are totally the guys that would love going to a Fieri restaurant; well, them and the Bucks.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Pentagon eat lots huevos

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Did y'all really talk about ratings and demos without posting the shirt??

https://twitter.com/ShopAEW/status/1283837997830504448

I swear to god they came up with the shirt and the graphic, then worked backwards from there to make the segment.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think like Hall and Nash courting DDP, Hangman is gonna get courted to join at least FTR, there'll be some doubt, and then he'll lariat someone's head off. It might be more drawn out than that, but that's the historical example I think Hangman's future is most like.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Robviously posted:

Pentagon eat lots huevos

Cuando Pentagon era niño
Comió cuatro docenas de huevos
Cada mañana para ayudar a ser grande

Y ahora que ha crecido
Él come cinco docenas de huevos
Entonces es más o menos tan grande como una barcaza

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Cuando Pentagon era niño
Comió cuatro docenas de huevos
Cada mañana para ayudar a ser grande

Y ahora que ha crecido
Él come cinco docenas de huevos
Entonces es más o menos tan grande como una barcaza

Lol

glad I could suss this out without resorting to translator

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

If AEW was hell bent on giving Nyla a manager, they should've grabbed Salina de la Renta. She's too entertaining to be stuck in MLW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

If AEW was hell bent on giving Nyla a manager, they should've grabbed Salina de la Renta. She's too entertaining to be stuck in MLW.

nyla isn't best friends with salina de la renta backstage