Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Khanstant posted:

I feel like most companies would've taken a phenomenae like "Bowsette" and actually ran with it. Yeah, maybe Nintendo doesn't want to get all horny on main, but you know, at least coyly take advantage of the demand for your brand. Make a Peach Odyssey, FFS, there's literally nothing about Mario that makes him better or worse at the tasks he does, how they make Super Mario 2 let you play as Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad but every game since then it's a toss-up whether you even get Luigi option. Just saying, even bowsette fever can be embraced in a kid friendly way if they would just stop acting like it's a privilege for us to even see their characters.

Fan creations are a mess of copyright when companies get involved, and some companies don’t want to touch that with a 10-foot pole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Khanstant posted:

I almost wish they'd re-release it today just because it somehow escaped the scathing it deserve at launch. Like, everyone recognizes how blatantly and lazily sexist it is, I just think it deserves a whooping through twitter.

There's nothing stopping it from happening now.

You don't even need twitter for it, we can do it in this very thread.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Twitter is where public flogging spectacles go. Yelling here is about as loud as yelling in your bathroom. Unless Nintendo lives next door, how will they receive their due shame? and preferably the japanese twittersphere takes them to task. IIRC abroad input isn't as important.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yell at them to do what? Not rerelease the bad game? Because Nintendo's way ahead of you on that one.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Also it got pretty flogged for that poo poo when it released back then.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Nintendo is very much like a successful artist. Someone like weird al or Gary Larson not only ignore fan input, they actively dislike it. They want their creations to be their own.

It’s just weird how an entire publicly traded company can exist on that principle and continue to be successful.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Origami King is fun. Though I wish they would lift some of the restrictions.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
:siren: the game is now out and playable!!:siren:

Gonna play the game for a couple hours and come back with first impressions, I’m a huge TTYD fan, but I’m approaching this game with an open mind and no set expectations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Nuts and Gum posted:

Nintendo is very much like a successful artist. Someone like weird al or Gary Larson not only ignore fan input, they actively dislike it. They want their creations to be their own.

It’s just weird how an entire publicly traded company can exist on that principle and continue to be successful.

This is only really true with Paper Mario. They're more willing to be loose with their other franchises and even parts of Mario and talked about how they took reception into account. See Odyssey and Luigi's Mansion 3, the latter of which Kensuke Tanabe also was a lead in. Granted they wanted portrait ghosts in Dark Moon, but couldn't implement them due to technological restrictions. But they did get rid of the mission structure in 3, which wasn't exactly a popular part of Dark Moon. With Paper Mario, it's more "we hear you, we don't care."

As for the statements, Nintendo probably just sent him out to take the heat for their bizarre restrictions on Paper Mario.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Khanstant posted:

Yeah, I'm totally down on them ignoring the brickheads who want them to re-release an old lovely combat system,

How are you talking about paper mario

it's also insanely loving obnoxious to get elitist over people liking stuff lol

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 17, 2020

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
they've rereleased an old lovely combat system for the past three paper mario games, hope that helps

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Confetti does not get used up unless it covers a hole. So feel free to party with it as you see fit.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Spent a few hours on the game so far. I like Olivia enough so far.

Hammer still uses the Color Splash indicator so 0/10 for that alone, tbh (it's not actually that bad, at least so far).

I think one of the weirdest things to me so far, battle-system-wise, is that the amount of actions you get per turn changes with each battle. For rotating and sliding the field I can get that, but it feels weirder for the amount of actions - that might just be as a result of coming straight off of Color Splash, though, where having more actions per turn was part of the progression (roughly).

Confetti feels like it runs out really quickly, which I suppose is good if it's supposed to incentivize you to actually fight battles but when you are out of battles it's pretty annoying! That might be poor planning on my part, I am... not entirely sure. Definitely not a fan of having to press ZR more than once to fill what feels like a decent amount of areas - does holding actually help or does it just... hold?

FZeroRacer posted:

they've rereleased an old lovely combat system for the past three paper mario games, hope that helps

what is this even supposed to mean

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think you get more attacks per turn based on if you solve the puzzles right.

Got through the sewers and I think it's fun but I can also see how the normal battles can get tiring if you have to keep doing them back to back to back. Least in the early game where the 'puzzle' is just a swoop moving slightly to the left a single space.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Alright, so how do people who like Color Splash finding it so far? Is it still funny and non-backtracky, at least?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Vookatos posted:

Alright, so how do people who like Color Splash finding it so far? Is it still funny and non-backtracky, at least?

it's funny. that's the best thing about Paper Mario, the writing and willingness to break the fourth wall.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Vookatos posted:

Not very far in — only just getting to the first big Streamer area. I don’t think the writing is as sharp as Color Splash’s was, but the combat has been fun and interesting so far. And I can already tell I’m going to have to go back to earlier parts for 100% completion but not mandatory story beats, which works for me.

So far, so good.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I am now a couple hours into the game, I have passed the sewers, freed toad town and I am now on the way to the Red Streamer, this is my first paper mario game since the thousand year door and Mario & Luigi Bowsers inside story:-

I’m shocked to say, I actually really really love this game so far!

First, it’s really hard to not love the charm, writing, music and aesthetics of this game, the writing is funny and got some hard chuckles out of me so far, the toads and goombas and shy guys etc. are really funny and exude personality despite looking similar to each other. The game really sold me so far on the writing, this game got me smiling, chuckling and laughing from the first minute and hasn’t let up since.

Luigi Rules, Toads absolutely rule in this game, they’re super funny.

Also, the way they portray the origami and how the ‘Normal’ inhabitants react is genuinely creepy, this game really effectively sets up the threat.

The game’s music loving rocks, it’s really awesome. The aesthetics and graphics are fantastic. It’s really impossible to not be enchanted by the game.

I actually like the battle system! The mindset I’m approaching it is that essentially, you’re playing a game of Tetris, the ‘game’ is about lining up the characters in time, and the satisfaction of ‘line clearing’ them is the same good feeling like in Tetris. it’s not as involved as a traditional RPG, honestly even when I screwed up a couple of times it wasn’t that bad. You quickly snap in and out of battle quickly and the music is great so overall While it’s not as involved and in-depth as the other RPG’s if you’re a fan of Tetris or simple puzzles its a pretty fun casual system. I like it, some of the puzzles seemed tough but not getting them right isn’t as bad as some people make it out to be,

Overall, I’m very glad I got this game so far, it seems like a very fun breezy light adventure game with a simple-but-fun battle system and a charming world and a very funny, witty and sharply written story to casually play and experience. It’s not as deep and involved as the RPG’s are, but I’m in the mood for a light fun adventure and this game is so far delivering.

I recommend it so far! Once I’m further into the game I’ll see if the battle system holds up, but first impressions have me at a 9/10 so far!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 17, 2020

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Youtube suggested this video to me after I watched a friend stream some origami king, it seemed to have some good takes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvjmgnLTKKQ

Origami King so far seems Just Okay, which is at least better than SS or CS.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Good to hear that people are enjoying it! I'll only get it tomorrow, and wanted to make sure. Nintendo's previews are usually super honest, but I've not watched anything except for the original trailer, so I wouldn't be able to tell.
Comparing battle system to Tetris is something I'm super interested in. I'm not the biggest RPG fan, so I'll see what those do for me.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

They don't waste time introducing enemies that can survive a normal jump if you're worried about that. I had one puzzle layout so far that also confused me so I'm just 'oh dear'.

Right now fighting the very first boss but just letting the music play because boy the OST is good.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Alright, now I'm loving excited.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

Origami King so far seems Just Okay, which is at least better than SS or CS.
Really dont understand why people keep lumping ss and cs together as "the bad games" when cs is so much better than ss it's not even funny

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I plowed up through finishing off the red streamer, I'm enjoying it so far. The battle system is cool and different, which I actually quite like; I'm a big puzzle fan so that's unsurprising to me. I met the first standard enemy puzzle that I couldn't solve and had to brute force right before the end of the chapter so I'm curious to see how the difficulty ramps in Chapter 2. The boss fights were a nice change of pace, and it's also very good that once you get to a certain power level you can stop really weak enemies with just a hammer/jump in the overworld.

Top moments: (The spoilers are both little things from the first hour that were fun little surprises or so but I'm still spoiling them if you haven't started the game yet!)
-Is this the first game where we see Mario driving a Kart that isn't a Mario Kart game? I thought opening with Mario and Luigi driving one to visit Peach at the beginning was really cute, especially Luigi's joke about valet at Peach's Castle.
-I don't know exactly what has changed in the eyes of Nintendo but this is the third Mario game in this generation that has a full-on musical number in it, and I think that's hilarious. Obviously it's gonna be hard to top Jump Up Superstar! or the Mario/Rabbids opera boss but having an old tree and his tree-daughter backup singers reward you with a little doo-wop number is great, and Olivia-Turtle cheerleading to use his earth powers is similarly very silly. If every Mario game on the Switch has a musical number it will just solidify the Switch as the greatest console of all time.

-On that same note, the music is really fantastic. Each screen/area seems to have its own song, and some have multiple versions, and they do a nice job referencing classic Mario tunes (Peach's Castle/the Underground Theme) without over-relying on them. I've already unlocked like 30 songs in the audio test and I'm like a quarter of the way through.
-The world that they've crafted is super fun. One of the absolute best things about Luigi's Mansion 3 is that almost every corner seemed to have something hidden or something to interact with, and the entire hotel felt like it was crafted with such care and attention and the big areas in Origami King have that same feeling. It almost reminds me in a way of Breath of the Wild where there are so many hidden things that you can find and most of it is just through exploration and interacting with the world. I thought the Toads were either going to be too esoteric or incredibly easy, but there's so many Toads that there are both easy and hard ones but not too many of either. There are puzzles that genuinely stump me for a minute or so until I figure it out, and it generally just takes some careful observation and if that fails, lots of hammering everything in the room. Only once or twice has it ever been mildly frustrating and all of those times resulted from locked doors that I determined I need to find a Toad somewhere else for.
-It's also gorgeous. Nintendo obviously knows that the Switch is never going to compete with other consoles or PC gaming in terms of pure graphical power and so they've taken to adopting real style and trying to out art-design other devs and this is one of the times where it really pays off. It utilizes the extra power of the Switch and the areas like Toad Town or Picnic Road are really big for a Paper Mario game and it does so without sacrificing anything. It feels very alive. I think the Paper Mario games have finally made the transition from representing a storybook (like the first two PM games) to representing a big playset. There might be a little less depth in the characters but the world feels more 3-dimensional (pun absolutely intended)

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Amppelix posted:

Really dont understand why people keep lumping ss and cs together as "the bad games" when cs is so much better than ss it's not even funny

Similar gimmicks. That's it. I remember when CS was announced, people even here just said "Sticker Star 2" and moved away. Never really understood that. Even if it was just that, sequels can dramatically improve on the originals. I quite dislike Mario 3D Land, but 3D World is probably my favorite Mario platformer.

Speaking of those games, does the OK have "open world" or a map?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Vookatos posted:

Speaking of those games, does the OK have "open world" or a map?

It’s “open world” with toad town being the central hub.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The worst thing they did in Paper Mario was abandon badges. I can imagine how wild they could've gotten if they carried into newer games

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Spellman posted:

The worst thing they did in Paper Mario was abandon badges. I can imagine how wild they could've gotten if they carried into newer games

That's the only thing I'll agree on when it comes to complaits about new games. I loved just levelling up BP and equipping a ton of weird poo poo. This is also why I don't mourn the loss of exp, since it was barely an RPG system, with most depth of choice actually coming from badge points.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Spellman posted:

There are equippable accessories in Origami King, you can only have a limited amount equipped at the same time and they have effects both in battle and outside of battle.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Woke up and turns out I was like 2 steps away from the colored pencil boss. As a fan of CS I will say one thing somewhat alarmed me for the negative as a repeating trend- but it might not be a big deal in the long run as I still had fun.

In color splash you'd fight a koopaling and they'd have normal attacks and gimmicks, but when low on HP they'd activate a super move that will for sure kill you. In this period you would use a thing card and the boss would get deflated and the fight might as well have been won from there outside like, Larry dropkicking.

In Origami King the Earth elemental boss had some pretty nasty attacks but once I got his hp down to 2/3rds the game strongly hinted that I flip him with a magic panel. When I did it just let me beat the poo poo out of him until he died taking away the rest of his health in one go.

Colored Pencils did something similar where I was screwing up his weakness (trailers told me what it was so I'm pretty eh, even then pathing stuff out is surprisingly tough if you're trying to get as many buffs as possible.) Halfway through it's HP bar it said 'screw it here's my big mega attack' and I took a random guess as to how to stop it- and I was right! But this led to the boss getting put in a defunct state and me beating the poo poo out of it for almost all it's remaining health- and even though it survived all it could do was some pitiful garbage attack that did 0 damage when blocked. My big concern is that while the Thing Cards are 100% gone the bosses are going to follow this rule of catch the mega gimmick halfway into their hp and then they just die.

There's a good chance it won't amount to that big of a deal, but still.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I mean that's not a problem at all, it just means they have less health than it would appear. The problem was that you needed the arbitrarily chosen Things for the fights before. That just made the whole thing feel somewhat meaningless even if there was a "real" fight before you got to use it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

It’s “open world” with toad town being the central hub.

So it's kind of a "world" instead of a bunch of disconnected places on a map a la color splash? Weirdly that was the thing that turned me away the most.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

So it's kind of a "world" instead of a bunch of disconnected places on a map a la color splash? Weirdly that was the thing that turned me away the most.

Yeah it’s a “world” you can travel freely in with toad town acting as the central hub, you can walk from one end to the other so far where I am.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

Felt like they wanted to stick a map in everything after Galaxy 2

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Amppelix posted:

SS is terrible, CS is merely bad.

Just because it's better doesn't mean it's good.

I've only seen SS but I played a bit of CS and did not like it at all.

I assume most people just don't have a wii u though, it sold WAY worse than any of the other recent nintendo systems.

Appropriate enough OK seems ok but I think I'll give continue to give the series a pass unless they make something I'd like more.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

Yeah it’s a “world” you can travel freely in with toad town acting as the central hub, you can walk from one end to the other so far where I am.

Spellman posted:

Felt like they wanted to stick a map in everything after Galaxy 2

Hell yea! Thanks.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

I assume most people just don't have a wii u though, it sold WAY worse than any of the other recent nintendo systems.
Oh yeah i forgot about this but it makes total sense. A lot easier to immediately dismiss a game when you've never even had a chance to try it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

While it’s not as involved and in-depth as the other RPG’s if you’re a fan of Tetris or simple puzzles its a pretty fun casual system. I like it, some of the puzzles seemed tough but not getting them right isn’t as bad as some people make it out to be,

What do you mean by depth here? Hard to imagine a system more shallow than turn-based menu combat.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Lmao

Try a little harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's what I say to games with menu-based combat