Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
after nargle passes i'm probably going to get a rescue greyhound and probably another cat.

She's got years to go, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

i will only support this endeavour if the robots are programmed to attempt to plug in every usb connector backwards first

sadly, with usb-c gaining widespread adoption, this is soon to be a thing of the past

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it okay. the next one will be plugging it in correctly but the thing not working because the device, the other device, the cable, or the protocol are invisibly incompatible

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i just want to hear a story about expensive poo poo breaking, man

back in my cj days a long time ago, someone brought in their top of the line dell laptop that they had dropped after tripping. back then dell offered a one-time-for-anything warranty so we ordered basically all new parts and got it fixed up. they took it outside and promptly tripped and smashed it all over the sidewalk again

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Broken Machine posted:

sadly, with usb-c gaining widespread adoption, this is soon to be a thing of the past

how is a charger port at all relevant to me plugging in my mouse

usbc is a god drat joke. just call it Smart Power. no peripherals use it natively except for what, like monitors? everything else has to have a loving adapter.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

how is a charger port at all relevant to me plugging in my mouse

usbc is a god drat joke. just call it Smart Power. no peripherals use it natively except for what, like monitors? everything else has to have a loving adapter.

it's basically the same connector as thunderbolt; eventually it'll replace your typical usb 2 /3 ports in general - mice will just ship with it instead. i like it because you no longer have to think about if you're plugging it in the right way

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i'm looking forward to some usb-c ports/cables mysteriously only working in one orientation anyway, like my goddamned lighting cable

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah, as a consolation prize you get to re-plug your laptop power cable in seventeen times a day every time you move because the disengagement distance of usbc is approximately 0.5 mm

I loving hate that god drat cursed port and 'eventually' is some bullshit. i'm 97% sure that a usbc controller chip is $0.79 wholesale and a usb2/3 chip is $0.27, and that is why you will never, ever have a native usbc mouse or keyboard

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
no, you won't have a native usbc mouse or keyboard because the only person who would want that is a mac user, and they all want wireless. if there was actually demand from mac users for wired peripherals, you could absolutely charge enough of a premium to make up the costs

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

graph posted:

back in my cj days a long time ago, someone brought in their top of the line dell laptop that they had dropped after tripping. back then dell offered a one-time-for-anything warranty so we ordered basically all new parts and got it fixed up. they took it outside and promptly tripped and smashed it all over the sidewalk again

ahh that's the good stuff

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah, as a consolation prize you get to re-plug your laptop power cable in seventeen times a day every time you move because the disengagement distance of usbc is approximately 0.5 mm

I loving hate that god drat cursed port and 'eventually' is some bullshit. i'm 97% sure that a usbc controller chip is $0.79 wholesale and a usb2/3 chip is $0.27, and that is why you will never, ever have a native usbc mouse or keyboard

they already do have them though?

mystes
May 31, 2006

There are lots of keyboards with usb c now.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i just want to hear a story about expensive poo poo breaking, man

witnessed someone drop a 24x100G line card for an MX10008. juniper was cool about it but that was briefly a $2.5m oopsy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mystes posted:

There are lots of keyboards with usb c now.

actual keyboards that normal people use, not $700 mechanical machine gun ortholinear dorkboards

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

im not linking it because ppl are hateful against anime here, but in the upcoming eva film there's a plugging-in-usb-the-wrong-way clip and i squealed when i saw it

the validation of just knowing someone went through the pain of animating a shared frustration is already satisfying

Jonny 290 posted:

after nargle passes i'm probably going to get a rescue greyhound and probably another cat.

She's got years to go, though.

those greyhounds are floppy best friends

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

actual keyboards that normal people use, not $700 mechanical machine gun ortholinear dorkboards

i feel hella [ergo]doxxed

(literally just got one monday, some constant inflammation in my wrists has already subsided dramatically)

also it just uses a mini-usb type a plug at one end and then normal-rear end usb at the other

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i use one of those kinesis freestyle bluetooth ones. People tell me it's not a "real kinesis" and i ignore them while i get work done and then go slap fat asses at the club

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

this is seriously the loving worst

usbc sounded so cool at first. we all want a magical universal omni-port to end all ports. boy did that monkey paw do a number on us.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

i will only support this endeavour if the robots are programmed to attempt to plug in every usb connector backwards first

nope sorry it's all 8-ring 1/4" bayo jacks

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Jonny 290 posted:

this is not helping at all lol

i mean its all true but

yeah sorry, not trying to be a downer. this is just my experience tho, like I can look back even to my childhood and know that practically nothing in my life has ever brought me true happiness. you though, i know you've been happy before and know you're hurt right now but i believe you owe it to yourself to confront your traumas and try to recover.

i know you like people, dude, obviously not all the people but if you didn't you'd never have imagined compound 290 and that's someplace id like to visit in the future

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

anyway never seen computers get smashed but i watched a guy take a sharp turn in the forklift and coat the warehouse in a pallet's worth of franks redhot

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I once let the magic smoke out of a six figure prerelease demo server’s power supply

unrelated- not everything has a 120/240 switching power supply

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Jonny 290 posted:

I destroyed the Ethernet port on a Dell dock last year because I bumped the USB c connection between it and the laptop while raising a standing desk. Best I can figure is that something shorted and fried when that happened. Ever since I've been super weary of C.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jonny 290 posted:

i use one of those kinesis freestyle bluetooth ones. People tell me it's not a "real kinesis" and i ignore them while i get work done and then go slap fat asses at the club

i have that keyboard, but with a wire because i'm a caveman. it's a good keyboard :thumbsup:

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I also once destroyed a stick of ram in my teenage years by plugging it in backwards. Despite being keyed to prevent that, I still managed to shove it in far enough that it happened. Amazingly the motherboard survived. The lesson I learned form that is don't try to speed run hardware upgrades and do it properly by having good lighting and not reaching into awkward corners because you don't want to be bothered pulling the computer out from under the desk. As a result, I practice that lesson about 25 percent of the time these days.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
you can’t hug your children with robot arms

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Cat Face Joe posted:

anyway never seen computers get smashed but i watched a guy take a sharp turn in the forklift and coat the warehouse in a pallet's worth of franks redhot

very hosed up and sad

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PCjr sidecar posted:

I once let the magic smoke out of a six figure prerelease demo server’s power supply

unrelated- not everything has a 120/240 switching power supply

everyone that works in a company that makes electronics for both europe and america has stories like this

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Cat Face Joe posted:

i had to help clean up the floors after someone did that to a 5 gallon bucket of ball point pen ink

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i miss driving forklifts. it was the one good thing about working in a factory.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

President Beep posted:

at a previous job i was working 2nd shift in a lab w another dude and no one was there to teach me how to forklift, so i got to dangerously figure it out myself to access stuff to sample. eventually someone caught me and...made me load a truck

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

President Beep posted:

yeah i miss driving them at my last job. i much prefer working in air conditioning now though

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

idk why y'all are so mad about usb-c. it works great for me. my laptop, phone, camera, and keyboard all use it, probably also some other poo poo, and i wish all my other rechargeable items did too. i can just leave a 65w usb-c charger plug hanging off the desk and plug any device into it whenever. who cares. everyone's a winner.

now if you mean usb-c as a host port then yeah. drat. gently caress that

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

I can already get usbc mice and keyboards

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
usb c sucks rear end as a dock port because of the reasons jonny mentioned. the cable required for handling the dock power ends up being pretty thick and inflexible and it tends to pull itself out of the usb-c port pretty easily. for everything else I think it works pretty well, tho. maybe they could add a little retention clip thing for docks.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

we did a corona safe laptop pickup a bit ago and I finally got around to setting it up and the dock requires two power adapters to run

the last dock I had would constantly click for some reason, couldn't maintain a usb connection for more than an hour, and would regularly bluescreen the computer when I plugged it in

put it back in the box. I haven't moved my laptop more than once since wfh I can unplug three cables

lenovo your poo poo is garbage

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I think the problem is a lot of manufacturers try to stick to the usb-c power spec which is woefully underpowered (another problem w/ usbc). for a while hp docks had a cable that was a combined barrel connector and usbc connector.

dell said gently caress it and they make over-spec docks and chargers. I wouldn't bother with other laptop brands these days for work stuff.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ah yes, docks with their moving parts and whatnot

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

echinopsis posted:

heroin overdose

ican do ultimate pleasure drug all the time it's no big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

President Beep posted:

ah yes, docks with their moving parts and whatnot

you still need two cables from the dock for it to work! its only a 33% reductions in cableage for a 100 percent increase in plug! im not made of power outlets over here