Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

When you knock someone out there's a moment where time slows down. That slowdown isn't just to look cool, it's so that you can hold R2 or L2 (or the pc equivalent) to grab whatever they're dropping. Then you can hit punch to smash the next guy in the face with it. Or you can throw it if the guy is farther away. The button combo for throwing is funky. You'll punch but then release R2 or L2 to let go of whatever is in your hand. It's funky but it works once you get used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

elf help book posted:

It's an exciting type of boring.

It's hard to really describe why it never felt boring to me. You literally are just walking from point A to point B, across big open fields and mountains, keeping your balance (which isn't super hard to do really) and occasionally running into BTs or Mules. But most of the game is just straight up walking long distances or trudging through snow. But it never feels boring outside of, for me, the Mules/terrorist encounters.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Made some fan art today:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Macaluso posted:

It's hard to really describe why it never felt boring to me. You literally are just walking from point A to point B, across big open fields and mountains, keeping your balance (which isn't super hard to do really) and occasionally running into BTs or Mules. But most of the game is just straight up walking long distances or trudging through snow. But it never feels boring outside of, for me, the Mules/terrorist encounters.

I think a better term is hiking. Like is it fun to walk the same sidewalks of your neighbourhood everyday? This isn't that. It's hiking and climbing and exploring in beautiful, rugged, unfamiliar terrain. Much easier to understand the appeal of hiking.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

for me its seeing how I can bullshit the truck through areas i probably should be abandoning it and going on foot

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Shinmera posted:

Made some fan art today:

This is good. We need more Death Stranding fan art.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The real Death Stranding starts when you finish a zip line network to the high points and spend the rest of the game only using zips and skateboarding.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Grabbed this on PC. The game has been really fun for me as someone that enjoys logistical type games. I do have a few questions though.

How does Lost Cargo work? Can I ever truly deliver all of it? It feels like I keep finding the same stuff in the same places despite taking them to their final destination myself. The package labels are all blue which means they're a part of my world.

Also, are there are points of no return? The game casually mentioned that I should finish up before completing my next delivery (late in episode 2-ish).

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Brutakas posted:

Grabbed this on PC. The game has been really fun for me as someone that enjoys logistical type games. I do have a few questions though.

How does Lost Cargo work? Can I ever truly deliver all of it? It feels like I keep finding the same stuff in the same places despite taking them to their final destination myself. The package labels are all blue which means they're a part of my world.

Also, are there are points of no return? The game casually mentioned that I should finish up before completing my next delivery (late in episode 2-ish).

Once you beat the game you can keep playing, but it'll teleport you to Chapter 15, which is the final chapter before the game enters a point-of-no-return phase. Once you go forward into Ch3, you won't be able to go back to the first zone until you unlock the fast travel mechanic in 4 or 5, but you definitely should rush Ch5 as soon as possible because that's when you actually start to unlock the features that make the game what it is. Everything before Ch5 is basically just tutorial stuff and not worth 100%ing until you unlock the tools that will speed it up significantly.

Also, the lost cargo is basically all bonus stuff. There are numbered missions in the game that are fixed objectives and track your mission rank, and the lost cargo aren't associated with any of those

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

The only time lost cargo is important is if it's for a prepper you haven't gotten onto the network yet. Some of them require you to find a couple pieces of cargo for them before they'll join up.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Thanks. I'll start pushing the story and starting using mailboxes for the repeat cargo.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Pirate Jet posted:

Any tips on dealing with MULEs? I never know what to do other than pack a fully-loaded bola gun which I almost always wind up using all of, and I can never get the timing on the counter-scan jam... thingy right.

if you have even an average amount of cargo the shoulder charge will knock mules over and i think even without it, it breaks their guard. then you can just kick their rear end in hand to hand combat. you can stand around waiting to strand counter them but whats the fun in that

also if you see anything laying around you don't care to keep you can pick it up and throw it at their heads which will instantly knock them out. the only downside to this is picking up cargo marks it as "owned" and the game warns you that your mule boots are too far away and gonna get sucked into another dimension :ohdear:

edit: the evade move is also pretty good but i don't think it gives iframes, i never made much use of it someone else will have to tell you how to do that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The dodge move (hoist both shoulders and press X/A) does have i-frames, and doing it to dodge behind an enemy gives you a follow-up move in the form of a sweet haymaker to the back of their head. You also can use the dodge move to get up steep hills by just holding it down!

edit: And yeah the tackle move (hoist both shoulders and press Square/X) is much more effective when you're bogged down with cargo. You can use it to break blocks if the enemy is blocking your melee. You also can crouch under an enemy's swing if you time it right, but I've only ever done it once so I doubt it's intentional.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 16, 2020

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Lost cargo also helps if you need just a few more points to bump up your level with a preppers. It's not really worth it for the big distribution centers since they require many more likes but it can really help with people like the Elder or the First Prepper who just don't have as many deliveries and are a pain to reach even with a robust zipline network.

One thing I found helped with building a better zipline network was deleting structures from other players that were useless. There's a cap on how many structures you can see from other players so removing useless postboxes or bridges opens up space fort more ziplines. I definitely noticed an increase in ziplines once I started that.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

How much does it matter when I play this? If I wait for a sale, am I missing out on a lot of player interaction if the population's down?

No, you get placed in with a pool of like a few dozen currently active people or so I think, so it won´t really matter.

Pirate Jet posted:

Any tips on dealing with MULEs? I never know what to do other than pack a fully-loaded bola gun which I almost always wind up using all of, and I can never get the timing on the counter-scan jam... thingy right.

If you're having trouble with a timed recovery mission you can clear them out beforehand. Also, if you want to just walk through the camps or scout the territory, you can leave the stuff in your truck and just walk by. They don't fully aggro if you don't have anything on you. Parrying is also very easy like other people said, until they start shooting.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The cool thing about the multiplayer is that it's not of the sort where you have to play it on release or else you're missing out. Basically you have two save file sets: Your most recent manual or autosave, and your overall profile save. Your Bridge Links (viewable in the private room) are pulled from the whole player spectrum, because the game never deletes structures from the overall server unless the profile save that hosts them is deleted. You could play this game ten years from now and the it would still feel alive because of how the world slowly populates with structures as you make main story progress.

edit: Also, if you die, try swimming around in the Seam for a bit. If you touch another player's body you make a Bridge Link with them and their structures will be added to your game automatically.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Has anyone found clever ways to exploit ganking MULE camps for fun to make it benefit other porters? (can you thin the crowd for other porters?)
I'd feel like less of an rear end in a top hat if all my MULE whoopin' benefited other players via the multiplayer/connection. The only thing I can think of would be leaving items and such that MULEs drop.

Also I'm playing Very Hard, does that factor into my interactions with the multi/connection?

night slime
May 14, 2014

NeoSeeker posted:

Has anyone found clever ways to exploit ganking MULE camps for fun to make it benefit other porters? (can you thin the crowd for other porters?)
I'd feel like less of an rear end in a top hat if all my MULE whoopin' benefited other players via the multiplayer/connection. The only thing I can think of would be leaving items and such that MULEs drop.

Also I'm playing Very Hard, does that factor into my interactions with the multi/connection?

You can donate stuff you find there to a local postbox structure via the Share Locker option and they can pick it up if they so choose.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

NeoSeeker posted:

difficulty has nothing to do with your bridge links. so far as i know clearing out mule camps really can't benefit anybody unless you're willing to forgo the materials and donate them at a center. you do however help out your little npc porter buddies and that's a good enough reason for me :unsmith:

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I think Im more addicted to building ziplines than Homo Demens are to my packages.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
You have a point with the ziplines. I haven't experimented enough but so far a well placed line can really make your day.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Started on hard, so far so good. Bout 100 minutes in so far, already loving the world and how good the dynamic terrain movement animation is. Going to lay off of it for tonight, the drifting joysticks on my old 360 pad are just too risky in a game this focused around balance. Ordered an offbrand 360 controller from Amazon, hope it's good because newer Xbox official controllers are way more expensive.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

queeb posted:

for me its seeing how I can bullshit the truck through areas i probably should be abandoning it and going on foot

"My father replaced horses with a Dodge Power Wagon. He took that thing anywhere a horse would go. Hell, he took it places a horse knows better than to be."

DS/Snowrunner hybrid when?

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

I feel like a victim of timefall whenever I play this game. "One more delivery" and suddenly it is 2 hours later

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Picked this up on PC yesterday. I'm absolutely loving it. I read the past couple of pages of this thread and want to thank everyone who posted advice on dealing with MULEs. This is me after clearing an entire camp in CH 3, on my way to donate some materials to the road construction.

Shortly after this I got my rear end kicked in the second MULE camp in the area and lost all of that poo poo :v:

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
I am basically a stereotypical Kojima hater. Tried to play a couple Metals Gear Solid and thought they were corny and overrated and couldn’t get into the gameplay and especially couldn’t get into the cutscenes.

So the initial wave of Death Stranding negativity, I was like ahh yes okay people are calling this game out for the bullshit that it is. A package simulator how stupid why would anyone play this.

But the more screenshots I saw the more beautiful the game looked and by Christmastime it went on sale for like 35 bucks and I was like gently caress it I’ll give it a shot.

Turns out it’s one of the best games I’ve ever played and I think about my experience playing it constantly and think the whole thing is basically a staggering work of radiant genius.

The intricacy of making traversal the entire gameplay sounds so simple, and also so stupid on paper, but in practice it’s simply brilliant. Personally, I’ve always thought exploring a cool game world is basically the best part of ‘open world’ games, and this game leans on that and expands on it in ways I never expected.

It simply feels so good to move around, and the challenge in the game comes from dealing with the terrain, not from combat or violence. Combat exists, but it’s vestigial and annoying, the least fun part of the game. That inversion, right there, feels remarkably transgressive and innovative in equal measure. The game world is gorgeous (even on standard ps4) and the music was great and I just loved doing deliveries and building a network around the game world in the spirit of cooperation, not domination.

Then there’s the story which I expected would be another hurdle — and man, I mean, it’s Kojima to the extreme — and the game opens with you carrying your mom, who is the President, on your back, to an incinerator. It’s so stupid, and so absurd, but also self-aware in a weird, disarming way.

Besides the stupidity, it’s also terribly earnest and honest and forthright with fascinating, compelling characters, even one who is wearing a stupid skull mask on his face, and it balances ‘realism’ with ‘game-ness’ in an absolutely brilliant way (another Kojima trademark, ok), and it’s all so carefully balanced on a razors edge I bought it hook, line, and sinker.

I ended up spending 90 hours playing it and now I wish I had a gaming PC to replay it because it’s so beautiful.

Sorry that post got long but tldr: Game is 5/5 and absolutely compelling beyond all measure and transcends its genre and medium in ways I never could’ve predicted. Masterpiece.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Khanstant posted:

Started on hard, so far so good. Bout 100 minutes in so far, already loving the world and how good the dynamic terrain movement animation is. Going to lay off of it for tonight, the drifting joysticks on my old 360 pad are just too risky in a game this focused around balance. Ordered an offbrand 360 controller from Amazon, hope it's good because newer Xbox official controllers are way more expensive.

I can't check if it's there in PC, but PS4 had options for changing the sensitivity of the sticks. Don't know if there could be a similar option with the multiple PC controllers. I had it so that the only thing that was really annoying with my dual shock 4 was the map cursor constantly flying to the edge of the screen.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

minya posted:

I am basically a stereotypical Kojima hater. Tried to play a couple Metals Gear Solid and thought they were corny and overrated and couldn’t get into the gameplay and especially couldn’t get into the cutscenes.

So the initial wave of Death Stranding negativity, I was like ahh yes okay people are calling this game out for the bullshit that it is. A package simulator how stupid why would anyone play this.

But the more screenshots I saw the more beautiful the game looked and by Christmastime it went on sale for like 35 bucks and I was like gently caress it I’ll give it a shot.

Turns out it’s one of the best games I’ve ever played and I think about my experience playing it constantly and think the whole thing is basically a staggering work of radiant genius.

The intricacy of making traversal the entire gameplay sounds so simple, and also so stupid on paper, but in practice it’s simply brilliant. Personally, I’ve always thought exploring a cool game world is basically the best part of ‘open world’ games, and this game leans on that and expands on it in ways I never expected.

It simply feels so good to move around, and the challenge in the game comes from dealing with the terrain, not from combat or violence. Combat exists, but it’s vestigial and annoying, the least fun part of the game. That inversion, right there, feels remarkably transgressive and innovative in equal measure. The game world is gorgeous (even on standard ps4) and the music was great and I just loved doing deliveries and building a network around the game world in the spirit of cooperation, not domination.

Then there’s the story which I expected would be another hurdle — and man, I mean, it’s Kojima to the extreme — and the game opens with you carrying your mom, who is the President, on your back, to an incinerator. It’s so stupid, and so absurd, but also self-aware in a weird, disarming way.

Besides the stupidity, it’s also terribly earnest and honest and forthright with fascinating, compelling characters, even one who is wearing a stupid skull mask on his face, and it balances ‘realism’ with ‘game-ness’ in an absolutely brilliant way (another Kojima trademark, ok), and it’s all so carefully balanced on a razors edge I bought it hook, line, and sinker.

I ended up spending 90 hours playing it and now I wish I had a gaming PC to replay it because it’s so beautiful.

Sorry that post got long but tldr: Game is 5/5 and absolutely compelling beyond all measure and transcends its genre and medium in ways I never could’ve predicted. Masterpiece.

Agree with all of that except to say that combat is actually really well thought out and fun. At first with just the strand as a weapon I was like cmon now but once it clicks, and with some of the later toys it becomes really fun and I'll constantly be on the lookout for camps to clear.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Khanstant posted:

Change the stick dead zone in the options, you don't need a new controller!

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 17, 2020

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 109 days!
There's so much to love about this game, and I do. But goddamn there needs to be someone on the production team for every Kojima project whose whole job is to compel him to stop sometimes, because he definitely has a real auteur problem. The Kurt Sutter of video games - some great ideas, but if you don't keep him in check he starts getting piss and poo poo on everything.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

croup coughfield posted:

There's so much to love about this game, and I do. But goddamn there needs to be someone on the production team for every Kojima project whose whole job is to compel him to stop sometimes, because he definitely has a real auteur problem. The Kurt Sutter of video games - some great ideas, but if you don't keep him in check he starts getting piss and poo poo on everything.

No way, I'm so glad he got to make a game that had no one telling him no

Except the Chiral Artist part. Someone should've told him no on that one

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah I'm in love with this game and I dunno why, it's just so unique and I'm glad it came to PC. I love getting the popups that people used my poo poo. Only bummer is I can't play much right now so all the good spots for items are taken, and have like 200,000 likes. I want 200k likes!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Macaluso posted:

Except the Chiral Artist part. Someone should've told him no on that one
It's amazing enough that a huge element of the plot existed solely to get Wagner to sign off on making a 3D model of her younger body

quote:

Kojima stated he was a fan of The Bionic Woman since he was 13 and Lindsay Wagner was his first choice for the role she plays.

Ruffian Price fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 17, 2020

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
Some of the guest stars in this game are pretty wild. Guess Kojima can just straight up tell people to be in his games now.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
MGSV is what happens when you say no to Kojima. They shouldve just given him carte blanche and the game's done when it's done. It's not like its your money he's spending.

Sorry Konami shills.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 17, 2020

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Tormented posted:

Some of the guest stars in this game are pretty wild. Guess Kojima can just straight up tell people to be in his games now.

I like that so many of the guest stars just used their likeness, but don't voice them. And then you just have loving Conan O' Brian in an otter hat, in his own voice, doing his roowrr noise

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Macaluso posted:

I like that so many of the guest stars just used their likeness, but don't voice them. And then you just have loving Conan O' Brian in an otter hat, in his own voice, doing his roowrr noise

I didn't recognize Edgar Wright for so long because it's not him talking.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

When the game was released, I watched some of the early coverage from sites like Giant Bomb, figured the game was poop and steered clear of it.

Now that the PC version released, I picked it up on a pretty good discount. Turns out the story IS utter Kojima lunacy, but in a fascinating, charming way. And the gameplay I was told was boring, frustrating and bland is actually a lot of fun. It's awesome to wander around the melancholy world, come up to some seemingly impossible obstacle and then figure out a way over it (or around it).

I'm only about 5 hours in so there's still a ton of game to go, but so far I am extremely glad I decided to give the game a chance after all.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

edgar_ posted:

I keep thinking about this question as I play through this game for the first time. I read this piece a few days ago and can’t stop thinking about it. Nothing to add besides quotes that struck me

https://www.pastemagazine.com/games/death-stranding/death-stranding-and-america/
For some reason this reminds me of some story I half remember where some anime director (I want to say Anno?) went on a trip to America and he landed somewhere in the midwest I think- he got off the plane and was completely struck by how the landscape was flat/expansive to the point that he could see clean to the horizon which looked miles and miles away. This actually kind of disturbed him and he noted how you couldn't write a scenario where someone flees from anyone in this setting because you could just see them from anywhere, forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Der Shovel posted:

When the game was released, I watched some of the early coverage from sites like Giant Bomb, figured the game was poop and steered clear of it.

Now that the PC version released, I picked it up on a pretty good discount. Turns out the story IS utter Kojima lunacy, but in a fascinating, charming way. And the gameplay I was told was boring, frustrating and bland is actually a lot of fun. It's awesome to wander around the melancholy world, come up to some seemingly impossible obstacle and then figure out a way over it (or around it).

I'm only about 5 hours in so there's still a ton of game to go, but so far I am extremely glad I decided to give the game a chance after all.

Giant Bomb's coverage of Death Stranding was abysmal and I was really disappointed in them given how they usually acknowledge and swerve around personal bias in reviews, especially Dan acting like a literal pouting child