Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BlueFootedBoobie posted:

So if they're only buying the two-seater F-15EX, but the plan is to use them at least in part to replace worn out C models, how is that going to work out?

I can't imagine that adding in a WSO where there was none before would be worth the personnel costs unless units adopting the new model also take on the full Strike Eagle mission set (or just leave the backseat empty). Will ANG squadrons whose job it is to just chase after mechanics in stolen Dash 8s stay in the C until the wings finally fall off?

Plus was there any thought of an F-15CX? I can't seem to see that mentioned anywhere.

From what understand the F-15D/F-16D will fly "real" missions with the second seat unoccupied. I guess thats what they'd do unless they need to be mudhens?

All the currently built F-15s are derived from the F-15E, so there was never going to be an F-15CX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
does that mean i could ride along and NOT TOUCH ANYTHING

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bewbies posted:

Here’s your 20 minute block of instruction on ejection, EPAWSS, and the Legion IRST, have fun!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bewbies posted:

https://worldwarwings.com/passenger-f-14-gets-confused-grabs-handle-inverted/

BlueFootedBoobie
Feb 15, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

From what understand the F-15D/F-16D will fly "real" missions with the second seat unoccupied. I guess thats what they'd do unless they need to be mudhens?

All the currently built F-15s are derived from the F-15E, so there was never going to be an F-15CX.

That all makes sense I guess. Looks the performance hit for the extra seat is pretty minimal.

bewbies posted:

Just avoid pulling Le Ejection Handle.

Edit: That F-14 story is nuts, but I was also thinking of this.

BlueFootedBoobie fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 16, 2020

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Mazz posted:

Boeing got a 22.6 billion contract this week for an indefinite number of F-15EX. Expected minimum of 144 to cover current fleet, up to 200 total.

So we are paying 160 to 115 million per airframe for the f-15ex

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I haven’t been keeping up with the RCAF purchase but could the F-15EX get tacked on as a contender as well? I mean it’s gonna be the F-35 regardless but still, make it look like there was a competition.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

wargames posted:

So we are paying 160 to 115 million per airframe for the f-15ex

Not really. That order is for the initial buy (not 144 aircraft) and includes stuff like spare engines, parts, and maintenance support and so on.

Unit flyaway cost is estimated 85-90 million.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I thought the F-15EX was single-seat? Are single-seat F-15s not made at all anymore?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Captain von Trapp posted:

There are vital US military assets in GEO, adversaries are going to want to counteract them. China has for instance tested direct ascent ASAT missiles against GEO altitudes. One of the reasons the Space Force exists is to deal with ASAT threats, which are increasingly numerous and not going away.

The test the Chinese did was not against a GEO target, it was LEO satellite in a polar SSO orbit. No one has done any ASAT testing above LEO to my knowledge.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

I thought the F-15EX was single-seat? Are single-seat F-15s not made at all anymore?

Current production are all technically strike eagle variants.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F-15E_Strike_Eagle#Variants
Also from there it looks like the single seat variant was going to be called the F-15X and the two seater the F-15EX. The USAF ordered the F-15EX. I guess if theres actually a big buy of the next generation fighter (lol) then the F-15EX can be used as bomb truck?

The longevity of the F-15 is pretty amazing.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Lou Takki posted:

The test the Chinese did was not against a GEO target, it was LEO satellite in a polar SSO orbit. No one has done any ASAT testing above LEO to my knowledge.

They have tested more than one type of ASAT.

https://www.armscontrol.org/act/2014-04/report-china-may-new-asat-weapon

They hucked a modified road mobile ICBM up to GEO and back in a direct ascent launch. They haven’t hit anything up there because Jesus Christ that’s a loving nightmare. The debris from that LEO test they did would be nothing compared to loving up GEO with debris. That kind of debris will be there for millions of years, and never go away.

But yeah, China definitely has its eyes on being able to hold our strategic space assets at risk, from LEO to GEO. That means everything is at risk.

The U.S. doesn’t have any acknowledged ASAT weapons that can get to MEO or GEO. That doesn’t mean we don’t have those capabilities but if we do it’s been kept black somehow. My thinking is we straight don’t have MEO to GEO ASAT capabilities, but I don’t know that for sure TBQH.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

hobbesmaster posted:

Also from there it looks like the single seat variant was going to be called the F-15X and the two seater the F-15EX. The USAF ordered the F-15EX. I guess if theres actually a big buy of the next generation fighter (lol) then the F-15EX can be used as bomb truck?

I have a feeling that if planes have to go manned, they'd now rather have the provision for two-seaters. I seem to remember reading F-15E and two-seater Rhino drivers saying the second set of eyes and brain helped overall.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

priznat posted:

I haven’t been keeping up with the RCAF purchase but could the F-15EX get tacked on as a contender as well? I mean it’s gonna be the F-35 regardless but still, make it look like there was a competition.

Boeing.

Plus they decided not to have any sort of real life testing, having a new aircraft in the competition would underline that

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

Boeing.

Plus they decided not to have any sort of real life testing, having a new aircraft in the competition would underline that

Yeah that was in my head but also wasn’t the superhornet in there too or did that get booted as well?

Having the 15EX being a 2 seater would probably cause issues with a personnel shortage too :haw:

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

hobbesmaster posted:

I think the single-seat version was called F-15CX?

https://www.airforcemag.com/boeing-buoyed-by-house-appropriators-push-for-f-15ex/

I don't see much reference to it elsewhere, and it looks like the Air Force was never interested in it, so :shrug:

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Yeah honestly if you have LEO ASAT capable missiles GEO isn't too far off anyways in terms of Delta V.

I hadn't realized they did that GEO intercept test, good to know.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
So as far as ASAT goes, How hard would it be to actually HIT something in GEO once these things get deployed in anger? From purely physical standpoint the equation of 3-dimensional space * GEO velocities * ICBM CEP * vacuum where blast wave as a means to cause damage doesnt exist * the target size seems to equal a hell of a shot to actually achieve a Kill, even with a nuclear warhead.

Did I miss something that would make it easier, or would the actual scenario just literally be ”orbit denial by mass employment of high-velocity debris saturation”?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mortabis posted:

Not since 1986.

The current plan is for the ANG to get all the EXs. The best C models will go to the active duty inventory, and continue getting upgrades until the next F-15 replacement comes online. Hopefully EPAWSS comes back, I think it was cut from the budget.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Well, we know The Rat’s vote.

https://twitter.com/armystrang/status/1283825317455568903?s=21

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

CIGNX posted:

I think the single-seat version was called F-15CX?

Did they at least include the ring?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://twitter.com/LMartinezABC/status/1283854271222616064

Now to wait and see what happens to her.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Valtonen posted:

So as far as ASAT goes, How hard would it be to actually HIT something in GEO once these things get deployed in anger? From purely physical standpoint the equation of 3-dimensional space * GEO velocities * ICBM CEP * vacuum where blast wave as a means to cause damage doesnt exist * the target size seems to equal a hell of a shot to actually achieve a Kill, even with a nuclear warhead.

Did I miss something that would make it easier, or would the actual scenario just literally be ”orbit denial by mass employment of high-velocity debris saturation”?

I don't think it would be much harder than hitting targets in LEO as long as you can throw the kill vehicle up to the right trajectory. ASAT weapons (or at least, ABM weapons that have been repurposed into ASAT demonstrators) don't use warheads, they're precise enough to guide directly into the target and use pure MV² to destroy it. Space is big but, especially for GEO, you've got plenty of time to work out the numbers in advance.

Next week
BREAKING: Navy reports infestation of murder hornets discovered aboard USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Fire is the murderhornet’s only known predator so that makes sense.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Valtonen posted:

Current anti-ballistic fucklers can hit/fuckle a small warhead reentry vehicle coming into the atmosphere from quasi-orbital speed. For a GEO direct-ascent profile you can calculate it so you approach the target at a very small velocity using mid course corrections. The mach 20 interceptors will just waltz at mach 1 into your GEO assets and 99.9% hit it. Optional but desirable: nuke warheads because it's the end of world and you might as well use them.

efb by milliseconds: 1 MT nuke on one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBMU6l6GsdM approaching your GEO bus at 10 feet/sec while 2001 music plays. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZoSYsNADtY

karoshi fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 16, 2020

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Queue the CO being relieved in 3...2...1....

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Technically every GEO bird with fuel still onboard is a GEO ASAT.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Doesn't putting an ASAT into orbit just make it target #1 for every other ASAT on the planet?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Valtonen posted:

Easy peasy. GEO closing velocities are slow, the target orbits are exceptionally well known, the targets are almost always sunlit, and the kill vehicles have seeker packages and terminal guidance. In almost all respects it's an order of magnitude easier than ballistic missile defense.

In fact even the debris problem is much less serious than popularly believed. True, the debris never comes down. But the low velocities mean each debris piece sweeps out much less volume per time, and orbital perturbations such as lunar gravity fairly quickly cause debris to drift out of the belt into the relative vastness of MEO and cislunar space. Kessler and friends cause much more trouble in LEO.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Valtonen posted:

A nuke in space emits a massive wave of X-rays, gamma rays and neutrons (well they do that on the ground to but they don't spread as far) with effects far beyond just EMP. You get all kinds of massive currents through electronics, lattice displacement effect, plasma discharges, thermal effects and more.

Unless you have designed in mitigation it's unlikely your equipment will survive.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Murgos posted:

A nuke in space emits a massive wave of X-rays, gamma rays and neutrons (well they do that on the ground to but they don't spread as far) with effects far beyond just EMP. You get all kinds of massive currents through electronics, lattice displacement effect, plasma discharges, thermal effects and more.

Unless you have designed in mitigation it's unlikely your equipment will survive.

On the other hand space is a big place, the energy drops off rapidly based on distance, the satellites are already hardened against all of those things (particularly those in higher orbits), and a small circuit such as that contained in a satellite isn't going to catch nearly as much of that energy as, say, a massive antenna the size of Hawaii.

Yeah, if you're blowing up nukes next to satellites it's gonna be a bad day for them, but at that point why not just use a kill vehicle?

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 17, 2020

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Eh, if someone wants to lob nukes at something in GEO they are going to get pretty close and they will use enough of them to guarantee a kill on the assets they want killed. The radiation effects guys can predict that much based on uh, 40-50 years of them planning to do just that.

Edit: I'm not saying they wouldn't rather use kill vehicles today. I was just responding to the comment that was indicating that nukes were ineffective in space. "Prompt Dose" is something people care about.

edit2: VVV Yes, but it's still 'many miles' of useful radius. It's just that satellites in GEO are kind of far apart.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 17, 2020

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Murgos posted:

Eh, if someone wants to lob nukes at something in GEO they are going to get pretty close and they will use enough of them to guarantee a kill on the assets they want killed. The radiation effects guys can predict that much based on uh, 40-50 years of them planning to do just that.

The downside being that you're lobbing nukes around to do a job you could have accomplished with a nimble little kill vehicle in the same amount of time. The point I'm making is more that you're talking targeting individual satellites with nukes, not setting one off and shutting everything down ala pop culture - which makes it a much less attractive/effective proposition.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 17, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Warbadger posted:

The downside being that you're lobbing nukes around to do a job you could have accomplished with a nimble little kill vehicle in the same amount of time. The point I'm making is more that you're talking targeting individual satellites with nukes, not setting one off and shutting everything down ala pop culture - which makes it a much less attractive/effective proposition.

Plus, there's much juicer targets for nuclear weapons on the ground. Space is a weird and wild place to fight, and there's little point to investing the money to lob a nuclear weapon at something that can more cheaply be killed by a grad student's term project.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Warmachine posted:

Plus, there's much juicer targets for nuclear weapons on the ground. Space is a weird and wild place to fight, and there's little point to investing the money to lob a nuclear weapon at something that can more cheaply be killed by a grad student's term project.

Sure there is, if you're launching a wave of hundreds or thousands in a first strike, setting off a dozen in space to get EMP effects is worth it to get the rest through and disable defense capabilities.

Really, cold war planning was much more about "why not a nuke" rather than "why a nuke"

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I like how MEO and GEO satellites are hilariously egregiously vulnerable to EW and probably cyber attacks y'all hotly debating nuking them. Sure i could throw this billion dollar weapon at it or I could just launch a few things into LEO that jam it.

GPS satellites can be jammed in a small radius by some chinesium $5 hobby things that can be operated by new jersey truck drivers.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CarForumPoster posted:

GPS satellites can be jammed in a small radius by some chinesium $5 hobby things that can be operated by new jersey truck drivers.

No, they cannot. Receivers and local signals can be disrupted by such things. Sometimes the solution is as simple as digging a 1 foot hole, putting your receiver in the hole, and then you have signal again. GPS jamming is a real problem, but it's so often put out as "the satellite got jammed" when it's more that receivers get locally degraded by the highly local jammer. No $5 jammer is going to reach out to a GPS satellite and shut the whole thing down.

A cowbell doesn't block a concert, but ringing a cowbell at the person next to you during a concert will disrupt them, sure.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

I like how MEO and GEO satellites are hilariously egregiously vulnerable to EW and probably cyber attacks y'all hotly debating nuking them. Sure i could throw this billion dollar weapon at it or I could just launch a few things into LEO that jam it.

I mean, I'm in the camp arguing that the military equivalent of an R/C car is the better option, but when you lay it out like this it reminds me that my argument is kinda moot because there is probably more money to be made in drawing up a contract for some convoluted nuclear delivery system than to give a grant to some math majors at MIT to calculate the intercept trajectories to an arbitrarily high tolerance.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

It wouldn't work that way seeing as it's receivers and not transmitters that are targeted for jamming, and we're not talking about monostatic radar sets. I could engineer a scenario where a space based EW payload could be delivered that is capable of messing with GPS-related capabilities, but it won't be a $5 project.

e f b

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

mlmp08 posted:

No, they cannot. Receivers and local signals can be disrupted by such things. Sometimes the solution is as simple as digging a 1 foot hole, putting your receiver in the hole, and then you have signal again. GPS jamming is a real problem, but it's so often put out as "the satellite got jammed" when it's more that receivers get locally degraded by the highly local jammer. No $5 jammer is going to reach out to a GPS satellite and shut the whole thing down.

A cowbell doesn't block a concert, but ringing a cowbell at the person next to you during a concert will disrupt them, sure.

I'm not claiming it would.

I'm saying it doesn't need to and almost every solution to degrading/eliminating the satellite is better and easier and cheaper. The nuclear option for a GEO satellite is dumb as hell.