Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They refer to the fleet battles as multi staged with you advancing or falling back depending on the outcome of each stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

SlothfulCobra posted:

If there are bombers, there needs to be some kind of mission or mechanic where they attack capital ships, otherwise they're just kinda suboptimal heavy fighters. I assume fleet battling will involve something like that.

Considering how they decided to stick ships that were supposed to be troop carriers into the game, it feels like that implies boarding might be in there at some point.

I feel like their cockpit views kinda cut off the view to the sides too much, but then I may still be a little grumpy that it's a first person view and I prefer third person. I guess this is the final revenge of X-Wing Alliance on Rogue Squadron. The extra spacial awareness you get from third person isn't really as necessary when you're flying outside of atmosphere with less obstacles, but there were some clips of flying through space debris too. I wonder if they're going to depict the Rebel targeting computer goggle either.

isn't it vr?

Roth posted:

They refer to the fleet battles as multi staged with you advancing or falling back depending on the outcome of each stage.

It kinda sounded like the falling back or not was player chosen but I think you're right and its like a tug of war mechanic.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

SlothfulCobra posted:

If there are bombers, there needs to be some kind of mission or mechanic where they attack capital ships, otherwise they're just kinda suboptimal heavy fighters. I assume fleet battling will involve something like that.

Considering how they decided to stick ships that were supposed to be troop carriers into the game, it feels like that implies boarding might be in there at some point.

I feel like their cockpit views kinda cut off the view to the sides too much, but then I may still be a little grumpy that it's a first person view and I prefer third person. I guess this is the final revenge of X-Wing Alliance on Rogue Squadron. The extra spacial awareness you get from third person isn't really as necessary when you're flying outside of atmosphere with less obstacles, but there were some clips of flying through space debris too. I wonder if they're going to depict the Rebel targeting computer goggle either.

I'm one of those psychos who needs to be in the cockpit. Especially in Battlefront II. Except for Yoda's starfighter. The cockpit for Yoda's starfighter sucks rear end.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Being only in cockpit view is like, my favorite part of this whole thing.

But if it’s super concerning just fly A-Wings baby

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Julius CSAR posted:

Hell yeah :cool::respek::cool:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Julius CSAR posted:

I want third person, dammit! I want to look at the cool rear end ship I'm flying. Also I'm intrigued by the gameplay trailer saying "8 ship types" and then only revealing 4 of them. I'm guessing they're holding off the reveal of the B-Wing and TIE Defender at the very least for closer to launch. So that has me wondering what the other three ships on either side of the roster are going to be, and will they have the balls to finally bring the TIE Phantom in the 21st century.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Julius CSAR posted:

Gotta go fast

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

nine-gear crow posted:

I want third person, dammit! I want to look at the cool rear end ship I'm flying. Also I'm intrigued by the gameplay trailer saying "8 ship types" and then only revealing 4 of them. I'm guessing they're holding off the reveal of the B-Wing and TIE Defender at the very least for closer to launch. So that has me wondering what the other three ships on either side of the roster are going to be, and will they have the balls to finally bring the TIE Phantom in the 21st century.

I believe they just said 8 ships. So just the classes that they showed in the reveal.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm sure they can add more later if they smell $$$

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Fans will mod in stuff 3 seconds after release, nothing can stop star wars modders

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
For third person view push forward slash on the keypad, then the star key to look around

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I have no doubt that there will be DLC ships. I would also bet money or at least hope that they will expand the number of players through different modes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

And I'm hype that there will be PVE Coop. That should be the full hero starfighter pilot experience x 5. I very much appreciated the freeze-frame and callouts in the cockpit. At least some level of energy management is confirmed. My big question now is, will have have like five different "select target" buttons ? That's how you get fancy, not drifting an X-Wing.

Man, this broke a no-preorders streak I've had going since Enter the Matrix.

e. gently caress. XWA was 21 years ago.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

As of late, EA hasn't been really pushing a lot of paid DLC in their multiplayer games. Battlefront 2 received free updates all the way into this year, and I think Battlefield V was the same way.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mllaneza posted:

And I'm hype that there will be PVE Coop. That should be the full hero starfighter pilot experience x 5. I very much appreciated the freeze-frame and callouts in the cockpit. At least some level of energy management is confirmed. My big question now is, will have have like five different "select target" buttons ? That's how you get fancy, not drifting an X-Wing.

Man, this broke a no-preorders streak I've had going since Enter the Matrix.

e. gently caress. XWA was 21 years ago.

Well I was going to recommend checking out the work that's still to this day being done by the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project... but apparently one of its lead project members had an epic loving meltdown recently about weird modder and Star Wars minutia that he went and edited the XWAUP main installer file so that it would actually wipe your X-Wing: Alliance install directory purely out of spite. This guy is a 54 year old, for the record, and has been a part of the XWA modding scene since the game was first released.

God, when Star Wars fans lose their poo poo, they go hard :stare:

it's still a good loving mod tho

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

nine-gear crow posted:

Well I was going to recommend checking out the work that's still to this day being done by the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project... but apparently one of its lead project members had an epic loving meltdown recently about weird modder and Star Wars minutia that he went and edited the XWAUP main installer file so that it would actually wipe your X-Wing: Alliance install directory purely out of spite. This guy is a 54 year old, for the record, and has been a part of the XWA modding scene since the game was first released.

that'd wipe your pilot file too so thats really loving lovely. ianal but thats possibly a federal crime

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

They got it cleaned up, I've installed from GOG, and loaded their mods.

Wish me luck.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mllaneza posted:

They got it cleaned up, I've installed from GOG, and loaded their mods.

Wish me luck.

Godspeed, Rebel :patriot:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

It worked !

Now hear me out on this. Come October goons are going to be flying in squads against pubbies. XWA is 21 years old. Sure, we've all got hundreds of hours of combat time in both Imperial and Rebel craft, but some of us are 50+, won't be flying sober, and are out of practice.

There's no loving way I'll be good with losing against kids who weren't even alive when XWA came out just because they have the reflexes. Let's get a group together in advance and get some multiplayer practice in before October 2nd. Single player mode will help, but let's get some hot goon on goon action going so we look slick come release day.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Charles posted:

For third person view push forward slash on the keypad, then the star key to look around

:hmmyes:

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Pretty sure I'm gonna shell out for VR and a proper hotas for this game and never look back.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Eminent Domain posted:

Pretty sure I'm gonna shell out for VR and a proper hotas for this game and never look back.

Uh do you mean VR + knuckle controllers?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Spookydonut posted:

I'll probably have the hotas/stick combo by the time it comes out, but if the knuckle controllers are better, I'll use those. Either way, see you in space hotshot.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Spookydonut posted:

I may have to amend my previous post

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

nine-gear crow posted:

Godspeed, Rebel :patriot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aspp1r0tS4&t=5s

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Can X-Wing Alliance be played with a controller? I don't want to invest in a flight stick just yet.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bogus Adventure posted:

Can X-Wing Alliance be played with a controller? I don't want to invest in a flight stick just yet.

The last time I played it for real (2013) it could, yes. It doesn't translate that well to a controller, but it is functional enough that after a few minutes adjusting to it I was able to play it just fine. So if you have an Xbox controller or Logitech PC knockoff then you're golden.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

The last time I played it for real (2013) it could, yes. It doesn't translate that well to a controller, but it is functional enough that after a few minutes adjusting to it I was able to play it just fine. So if you have an Xbox controller or Logitech PC knockoff then you're golden.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! Thank you!!!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Holy poo poo I didn't even know about Squadrons. I'll be all over that. I probably won't do multiplayer much which sucks because a lot of game companies are ignoring that aspect but this looks awesome.

Does XWA work ok on modern PCs? I just watched a video of gameplay and it still looks pretty decent without any mods.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You have to copy some direct3d dlls, patches and stuff

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It works fine as-is, I have the GOG edition.

But you could make it better: https://xwaupgrade.com/

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Gog version has some patches preapplied I think.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I bought the Steam edition and it works fine.

Same with classic X-wing and TIE Fighter and XvsTIE.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I liked Rogue Squadron but looooooooved Rogue Squadron 2. That game being a launch title on the Gamecube blew my loving mind with its graphics.

Also:

We've got to protect the frigate at all costs!
Red Leader, we can't take much more!
That frigate's not gonna last much longer!
Red Leader, WHERE ARE YOU?!

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I just want a mod where you play through the X-wing novels. Not the bad ones, but the good ones with Wraith Squadron and the horse and Ewok pilots.

Also, this.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
starfighters of adamur is the best x-wing novel fight me

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Lieutenant Kettch and I will fight you.

surf rock posted:

I liked Rogue Squadron but looooooooved Rogue Squadron 2. That game being a launch title on the Gamecube blew my loving mind with its graphics.

Also:

Also, this.

I loved the rogue squadron games so much but

gently caress the frigate

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

surf rock posted:

Ha, reminds me of in TIE Fighter you'd get similar messages. Sometimes if you did really poorly, oyu'd get all of these, one spammed right after the other, as a craft is destroyed in a few seconds:

"Alpha One; MISSION CRITICAL craft, under attack!
Alpha One; MISSION CRITICAL craft, shields down!
Alpha One; MISSION CRITICAL craft, hull damaged!
Alpha One; MISSION CRITICAL craft, destroyed!"

And then a MISSION FAILURE red message.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So many of the soundclips of that game really stuck in my head. Especially the squad commands.

"Biggs, Wedge, ollowme" (the way he just kinda mumbled that line)
"Right with ya Luke!"

"We're no match for those walkers!"
"Get after those walkers."
"Yes sir, attacking the walkers."

The way that the battle of Endor mission makes you sit through the whole dialogue of figuring out that the shields are up and deciding to turn around to face the skybox star destroyers.

Not every level was great, there were some that I could never really do right like the first Y-Wing mission, or how drat hard the stealth mission is to do right, but things like Hoth, Kothlis, Bespin, the nebula, or the Death Star were great to replay again and again, and I'd like to see some of that gameplay get done in the future.

One of the reasons why space games were so popular back in the day was that it was so easy to just make a massive skybox with one fancy texture, and that's all the environment you need, but if you have an environment where everything is closer, you really get perspective on how fast you're going and where things are relative to eachother.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

how drat hard the stealth mission is to do right

I wonder why they decided to do a day/night split for that mission. I remember the making-of doc on the disk mentioning how short the development time was, so it seems like a strange thing to include.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Is it possible to play (on a modern system) X-Wing and Tie Fighter with just a mouse? I remember blowing out at least one mouse ball back in the day.

I really don't want to use a joystick for it even though I have a crazy setup. I want to be able to play this game on my couch.